home

Author Topic: Chumley Warner's Empire. 3D printing  (Read 1801594 times)

Offline Deuce

• Members
Yes! I hate it when models are facing diagonally. Even in the days of the 6th ed starter set, models would rank up perfectly fine facing forward, but everyone would glue them at an inexplicable 45 degree angle.

Probably because back then there were only diagonal slotta bases.  Well sort of, you could cut out a parallel slot, as the base gave you the option, but it came with the diagonal alredy cut, and cutting the parallel, weakens the base and leaves gaps that have to be filled.  Matches were good for that though

Wasn't until around the time those halberdiers were phased out that parallel slot bases came along, and of course solid bases for the newer plastics.

To be honest they do need trimming and filing a bit to fit into the parallel slots, so it's a bit of effort, though finding any that are unglued into diagonal slots is very rare
The 6th ed figures came on solid bases though to be glued freely. I'm amazed at how many I see on ebay that have been glued on at an angle. The first thing I do on buying any is to detach them and reglue so that they're facing forward. With the handgunners you could make a feature of it, but on the spearmen it just looks stupid.

I'm trying to track down an affordable source of parallel 20mm slottas for rebasing older figures, since most of them seem to come by default with the diagonal ones. Very frustrating. (That said, I have just had to stick a WK Dwarf on a base diagonally, because there was no way to rank him up otherwise).

With the plastic halberdiers I put as many as I can onto "unit filler" bases so that they rank up more nicely, but I'll still need a few on the 20mm bases and they're proving a pain in the neck, as they were obviously designed to rank up diagonally (for the love of god, why?)

So, yeah, Marienburg militia. Those are very nice. But then you knew that.

Offline mr chumley warner

• Members
  • Ninth Age , paint everything, Metal Only !
Liking the video. Some of that old artwork is fantastic, along with the superb painting of course! And that Iron Maiden song goes very well with the Empire! I'm sure if they got a bit wet, those colours would run though :-p

Maiden are the only band i've ever found who have spanned 4 decades and still going stronger than ever, and who when I listen to their tunes, at least 50% are amazing,

maybe i should do a version with blood brothers also , let me go and see!

Ask yourself , what is real? 5 sense filtered reality is a very limited perspective.

• Members
Ask yourself , what is real? 5 sense filtered reality is a very limited perspective.

Offline patsy02

• Members
  • Moderator in charge of Gender Equality (Honorary)
It's a little annoying sure ,

:eusa_wall: :eusa_wall: :eusa_wall: :eusa_wall: :eusa_wall: :eusa_wall: :eusa_wall: :eusa_wall:
You're forgiven of course, primarily because those halberdiers look excellent, and because they don't rank up without being placed diagonally.

The 6th ed figures came on solid bases though to be glued freely. I'm amazed at how many I see on ebay that have been glued on at an angle. The first thing I do on buying any is to detach them and reglue so that they're facing forward. With the handgunners you could make a feature of it, but on the spearmen it just looks stupid.
Are you my soul mate?
I agree with the inhumane treatment of animals.

• Members
what i have learned is that as long as your base coats are thin, they don't even need to be accurate ,

a 3 stage wash will totally fix any glitches ,

hair dried each time,

therefore you can speed paint very fast

the highlights accentuate the colours and finish the job,

i recon i could nail 50 men to that standard in 12 hours

Offline Oxycutor

• Members
Yes! I hate it when models are facing diagonally. Even in the days of the 6th ed starter set, models would rank up perfectly fine facing forward, but everyone would glue them at an inexplicable 45 degree angle.

Probably because back then there were only diagonal slotta bases.  Well sort of, you could cut out a parallel slot, as the base gave you the option, but it came with the diagonal alredy cut, and cutting the parallel, weakens the base and leaves gaps that have to be filled.  Matches were good for that though

Wasn't until around the time those halberdiers were phased out that parallel slot bases came along, and of course solid bases for the newer plastics.

To be honest they do need trimming and filing a bit to fit into the parallel slots, so it's a bit of effort, though finding any that are unglued into diagonal slots is very rare

I'm trying to track down an affordable source of parallel 20mm slottas for rebasing older figures, since most of them seem to come by default with the diagonal ones. Very frustrating. (That said, I have just had to stick a WK Dwarf on a base diagonally, because there was no way to rank him up otherwise).

With the plastic halberdiers I put as many as I can onto "unit filler" bases so that they rank up more nicely, but I'll still need a few on the 20mm bases and they're proving a pain in the neck, as they were obviously designed to rank up diagonally (for the love of god, why?)

So, yeah, Marienburg militia. Those are very nice. But then you knew that.

Sorry for Hijacking this thread a little Chumley...

I always try and base a model so that their face is looking forward, i.e to the middle of one edge, And if their body is facing another direction, it doesn't matter so much, as you tend to look at where the face is looking anyway

• Members
Marauder MM61 Command Model !
« Reply #2756 on: July 06, 2012, 11:09:05 AM »
« Last Edit: July 06, 2012, 11:15:05 AM by mr chumley warner »

Offline Oxycutor

• Members
Re: Chumley's quest for every Empire Model Ever Made - Marauder update
« Reply #2757 on: July 06, 2012, 11:22:02 AM »
Nice, that's one of the best Minis Marauder did, and that's a first class job you've done with him

Offline Blue in vt

• Members
« Reply #2758 on: July 06, 2012, 04:12:31 PM »
Great figures...that whole set are some of the best Puff and Slash Human figures going.  I like your pj though the Hat/face seems a bit dark to my eye.

Blue
My Painting and Collecting Blog: http://bluesmarauders.blogspot.com/

• Members
« Reply #2759 on: July 06, 2012, 04:21:01 PM »
the image came out dark indeed sir

in the flash it looks lighter by far !

Offline Grutch

• Administrator
  • Members
Re: Marauder MM61 Command Model !
« Reply #2760 on: July 06, 2012, 11:16:09 PM »

Good Job!  I have this model as my spearchamp!  Your work is inspiring.

-Grutch

• Members
« Reply #2761 on: July 07, 2012, 03:54:30 PM »
I've just assembled the first metal STANK GW made.

It's tiny vs the newer metal one?!

funny !

so small

Offline FR1DAY

• Members
« Reply #2762 on: July 07, 2012, 03:58:48 PM »
i've got one converted with a HBVG on the front, they are great but look very diminutive on the correct base size. I love that little tank, it basically won me a GT heat at warhamster world back in '05
There are 40 different shades of black, so many fortresses and ways to attack.

So why you complaining!

• Members
« Reply #2763 on: July 07, 2012, 05:13:34 PM »
so your  a fan of the STANK?

Offline FR1DAY

• Members
« Reply #2764 on: July 08, 2012, 08:15:11 AM »
in 6th edition with it's totally game breaking rules. Have a HBVG really made it better as well. Long run up ram and then next turn blast the unit in the face. Just don't charge a unit with a vampire lord with GW in as he turns it into a pile of scrap in one turn. It used to have 30 hit points, took damage of model strength + D6 minus 8 for its armour if i remember.

They are very empire but have never given one ago in 7th or 8th. Really should i suppose.
There are 40 different shades of black, so many fortresses and ways to attack.

So why you complaining!

• Members
« Reply #2765 on: July 08, 2012, 08:25:59 AM »
Hehe Hellblaster on the Stank?!

Get me some of those !

You could advance your whole army behind 2 of those beasts!

With cannons on the flanks ,

amazing

Offline Uryens de Crux

• Members
« Reply #2766 on: July 08, 2012, 10:42:16 AM »
Outstanding work as ever Mr Warner

loved the video too
We go to gain a little patch of ground that hath in it no profit but the name.
The Free Company of Solland

The Barony of Wusterburg

Offline MrAbyssal

• Members
« Reply #2767 on: July 09, 2012, 02:40:20 AM »
Hehe Hellblaster on the Stank?!

Get me some of those !

You could advance your whole army behind 2 of those beasts!

With cannons on the flanks ,

amazing

They did the revised metal STank with one as standard when they released all the extra rules in 6th, along with a 'War Wagon' version too...
There are three things each man judges another man by;

1. The size of his codpiece
2. The amount of skulls he carries
3. The length of his feather

• Members
« Reply #2768 on: July 09, 2012, 07:21:57 AM »
ive never seen one painted ?

Surely some1 must ahve one on WE.com?

:eusa_wall: :eusa_wall: :eusa_wall: :eusa_wall:

• Members
« Reply #2769 on: July 09, 2012, 07:47:03 AM »
Last night ebay got heated ,

the entire Sisters of Sigmar collection went for £120 + ,

I couldn't quite justify the spend given my recent splurge ,

but I have managed to acquire some very nice rare 1980's Fighter models.

10 of them in total .

Offline Henerius

• Members
  • not Henry
« Reply #2770 on: July 09, 2012, 10:00:30 AM »
ive never seen one painted ?

Surely some1 must ahve one on WE.com?

:eusa_wall: :eusa_wall: :eusa_wall: :eusa_wall:

http://warhammer-empire.com/theforum/index.php?topic=29922.msg421759#msg421759

we have collective threads with all kinds of stuff.. look at the sticky on the top of the page...  I can tell you btw that the revised stank was noting more then the complete tank with a different chimney and gun set.  It isn't that shocking.

I normally don not add so much detail.  I have a lot of that stuff still lying around. not the gun obviously.  :engel:
Quote from: Commander Bernhardt
don't listin to the evil Henerius
Quote from: steveb
if your fantasy world is not real enough, take two aspirins and go paint.  steveb

Offline harv

• Members
  • success from discipline, productivity from panic
« Reply #2771 on: July 09, 2012, 10:31:11 AM »
There are other variations as well aren't there?

Sigmar's Hammer (Had a different Chimney top, and no turret or main gun)
Old Reliable (Had a standard mast, Helblaster gun barrel and different equipment sprue)
Implacable (Had a mortar, steam gun and different equipment sprue and chimney top)
Von Zeppel (Different chimney top, equipment and of course the shooting platform thing)

Someone who has these would probably be able to say what the full differences between them were.

**Also wasn't there one pulling a boiler?
« Last Edit: July 09, 2012, 10:34:09 AM by harv »
My "house rule" for AoS is "we're not playing that shit in my house!"

• Members
« Reply #2772 on: July 09, 2012, 10:38:46 AM »
they must be ultra rare now

Offline harv

• Members
  • success from discipline, productivity from panic
« Reply #2773 on: July 09, 2012, 11:09:07 AM »
Yeah, from memory they were mail order only and available for a short time so finding them is going to be a real challenge. It will be worth it though as there are so few  :::cheers:::

http://www.solegends.com/citcat2004/P0623-02.jpg
http://www.solegends.com/citcat2004/P0622-02.htm
« Last Edit: July 09, 2012, 11:12:53 AM by harv »
My "house rule" for AoS is "we're not playing that shit in my house!"

• Members
« Reply #2774 on: July 09, 2012, 11:17:41 AM »
There are sooooooooooo many models to collect in my mission!

Just when I think I am at the stage where I understand and have documented every model ever released, new ones come to light, and people send me further information outling models which you can't even find online.

Some1 offered me a model which has never been released , and said that they would only sell it to me if i didn't sell it on or advertise it online.

He wanted too much for it .

The image was amazing though,

a state trooper like you have never imagined , cast in Resin ,