home

Author Topic: Rumours and what's new to be expected of WAoS  (Read 263855 times)

Offline Zygmund

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
    • https://www.facebook.com/groups/288460758594334
Re: Rumours and what's new to be expected of WAoS
« Reply #1150 on: September 26, 2019, 08:34:15 AM »
Nevermind if it's a one-man effort, nevermind if there are no new figures. The snippets of the rules actually seem interesting.

I've never played AoS, but with this kind of focus on human and human-allied armies, it might get interesting.

I've been thinking of putting some Empire troops on round bases, just for the looks (I have most units on squares already, so don't need more to play the game). Maybe I will play a round-base-game with them too?

-Z
Live in peace and prosper.

Offline Mathi Alfblut

• Members
  • intres cum fixura sine misericordia
« Reply #1151 on: September 28, 2019, 08:28:15 AM »
Maybe I can make my son start a dwarf army and we can have Very civil war between a pair of cities like in the GOOD old PROPER days.

Alas, Fantasy hath faded
Oh, and remember GW made it personal, not you!

Offline Artobans Ghost

• Bar Brawlers
  • Members
« Reply #1152 on: September 28, 2019, 12:09:15 PM »
Looks like the Cities of Sigmar faction is up on the GW site for the surviving units. Not the battletome yet but it will give you an idea of what’s left. Pretty much all high elf product gone, lots of dark elf stuff is there and a lot of dwarf.

Seems Orruk warclans is in its faction as well. No traditional orks at all. Only savage. Am I missing something?
Again savage is my least favourite. Too bad
« Last Edit: September 28, 2019, 02:08:41 PM by Artobans Ghost »
Mathi Alfblut Feb 4,2017 Simple, You gut the bastard with your sword, the viking way.
Questions?

GP Jan 4, 2020
Yes, even W:AoS.

Offline Mathi Alfblut

• Members
« Reply #1153 on: September 28, 2019, 02:08:34 PM »
Ulthuan have sadly fallen...  :icon_frown:

Offline Artobans Ghost

• Bar Brawlers
  • Members
« Reply #1154 on: September 28, 2019, 08:41:13 PM »
Ulthuan have sadly fallen...  :icon_frown:

More sad news...... no war altar or warrior priests or even the new Excelsior Warpriest made it to the CoS.
In the 14 years I’ve been in this hobby, active or just reading, I don’t remember being this disappointed. All the changes, I kept a positive attitude towards everything. Embracing the new system etc, etc.
The Warrior Priest with the horizontal greathammer was the first model I bought after the empire/ork starter kit. That ideal was the embodiment of this hobby. Favourite models, favourite fluff etc etc. When the transition to AoS was made, he was replaced by the Excelsior Warpriest. Still loved the new model and fluff and it meant a continuance.  Now no more. I’m not giving up but that sure pisses me off.
I’m hoping it was an oversite as the flagellants made it and still have the devoted keyword but no hero’s.
Mathi Alfblut Feb 4,2017 Simple, You gut the bastard with your sword, the viking way.
Questions?

GP Jan 4, 2020

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
  • Happy Spring! : )
« Reply #1155 on: September 28, 2019, 09:11:43 PM »
I read the GW website page for fantasy background of some sort, and didn't enjoy the read.  It didn't seem to flow well, although that might be because the names are changing?  Maybe this stuff is going to fly well with new folks coming into the hobby that have little to know knowledge regarding the past history of the Warhammer Olde World, but with us veterans it all seems a bit much. It does seem as if the "history" is changing, and on the fly as real time goes past, yet for those of us who enjoyed the fantasy world of Warhammer gone past, not sure we're ever going to be interested in some of these changes.  Oh well, going to let it be, and enjoy the fantasy of the Olde World anyway.
"Not all who wander are lost ... " Tolkien

"... my old suggestion is forget it, take two aspirins and go paint" steveb

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

"Until death it is all life." Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra

Offline Gankom

• Members
  • The World Builder
« Reply #1156 on: September 28, 2019, 09:46:42 PM »
The new world does change and advance. That's what this big deal is with the Soul Wars and such. It's the next 'step'. They had the Realmgate wars, the Soul War's, now there's other stuff advancing as well.

Anecdotally, there's more people playing Age of Sigmar at the clubs around me then I ever saw playing Fantasy.

What we're you reading GP? They put out short stories on their website fairly frequently, but they're usually tied to an event or each other. So reading one might not give you much of an idea what's going on.

Offline Mathi Alfblut

• Members
« Reply #1157 on: September 29, 2019, 06:01:21 AM »
I was perplexed that the High elves got totally tanked. I mean... Totally. All that is left is the phoenixes and the phoenix guard. And shadow warriors.

The White lions, despite being as new a kit as the PG are gone, and so are the chariots. And the skycutter. And the Dragon princes and the dragons. And the mages.
They were all great minis.
I most of all blame myself for not bying the dragon while I could. I never believed it would go this far.

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #1158 on: September 29, 2019, 07:22:43 AM »
The new world does change and advance. That's what this big deal is with the Soul Wars and such. It's the next 'step'. They had the Realmgate wars, the Soul War's, now there's other stuff advancing as well.

Anecdotally, there's more people playing Age of Sigmar at the clubs around me then I ever saw playing Fantasy.
Congrats for those who enjoy W:AoS.  We had quite the crew of folks at a local store playing WFB during 6th and 7th edition.  Then it died with 8th, no one seemed to enjoy it, especially with the sudden need to have more figures for larger units.  Been in and out since, and rarely see anyone playing W:AoS.

What we're you reading GP? They put out short stories on their website fairly frequently, but they're usually tied to an event or each other. So reading one might not give you much of an idea what's going on.
This ... https://ageofsigmar.com/timeline/

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

Offline Victor

• Members
  • ✠ Sol Invictus ✠
« Reply #1159 on: September 29, 2019, 09:21:41 AM »
New warband for Warhammer Underworlds.

Offline Sharkbelly

• Members
« Reply #1160 on: September 29, 2019, 11:12:32 AM »
Nice! I have really liked all the undead warbands so far.

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #1161 on: September 29, 2019, 11:35:59 AM »
With the reduction in human figures, they must be going to the undead! :icon_eek: :icon_mrgreen:

Offline StealthKnightSteg

• Members
  • Squishing Squickhoppers since 1999
    • https://www.facebook.com/vincent.goede
« Reply #1162 on: September 29, 2019, 01:24:32 PM »
As for the loss of mainly the high elves and some others.. something must give way to make the new battletome to work othewise you have to many units going and that would make the battletome clunky.. with the new Idoneth Deepkin and Daughters of Kaine, I think the High Elves were the most obvious choice to cut out unfortunatly.
Everyone is entitled to be stupid, but some abuse the privilege.

"Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music." -- Kristian Wilson, Nintendo, Inc, 1989

Offline Cèsar de Quart

• Members
« Reply #1163 on: September 29, 2019, 02:25:20 PM »
It's baffling that they axed most of the High Elves, since they were one of the most played armies in WHFB. I'm especially sad about the White Lions. Great kit, and fantastic for conversions.

Offline Mathi Alfblut

• Members
« Reply #1164 on: September 29, 2019, 02:35:41 PM »
Indeed the loss of the White lions pains me. I was considering getting more of them for conversions but now all I can do is assemble a single regiment of 20 White lions and use them as palace guard in Kings of War. There is no game system outthere that have anything like the High elves today. Nothing.
They are an iconic fantasy race and they just axed them totally save the Phoenix guard for some VERY strange reason.

Offline Artobans Ghost

• Bar Brawlers
  • Members
« Reply #1165 on: September 29, 2019, 03:09:06 PM »
As for the loss of mainly the high elves and some others.. something must give way to make the new battletome to work othewise you have to many units going and that would make the battletome clunky.. with the new Idoneth Deepkin and Daughters of Kaine, I think the High Elves were the most obvious choice to cut out unfortunatly.

Understood. It has to happen but the warpriest baffles me. He completely fit in as do the flagellants.
The high elf’s don’t fit in for sure but at least they can be ‘counts as ‘ - swordmasters can be greatswords, lion chariots - scourgerunner chariot. Unfortunately I really hate the dark elf look and even the unit names but that’s just me.
They did say this is the start, but I think it will take awhile before any changes hit. So far on azyr they haven’t done away with the old warscrolls  or factions yet.
Questions?

GP Jan 4, 2020

Offline The Penguin

• Members
  • Empire Secessionist
« Reply #1166 on: October 02, 2019, 04:06:41 PM »

I rarely post here, but that made me feel dirty and sick.  :eusa_sick:
Am I the only one who has the feeling that what we see above are bastard abominable children of a good game and AoS?

Offline Zygmund

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
    • https://www.facebook.com/groups/288460758594334
« Reply #1167 on: October 02, 2019, 05:16:40 PM »
Kinda hard to say what is the topmost feeling: great idea, coherence, conversions and finish - or: what are these supposed to be, a 40K faction or a hybrid warband that can be played as what? A very WTF feeling.  :lol:

-Z
Live in peace and prosper.

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #1168 on: October 02, 2019, 06:23:49 PM »
That steam tank with the "blimp" above it, it must not be metal for the "blimp" to carry it. :icon_wink:

Offline Cèsar de Quart

• Members
« Reply #1169 on: October 02, 2019, 09:01:55 PM »
I like these steampunk guys. They're actually close to my idea for the future of the Empire after the End Times.

Offline Warlord

• Global Moderator
  • Members
  • Sydney, Australia
« Reply #1170 on: October 02, 2019, 10:51:05 PM »
I was going to buy a skycutter at some point. Oh well.
Quote from: Gneisenau
I hate people who don't paint their armies, hate them with all my guts. Beats me how they value other things over painting, like eating or brushing teeth.

Offline StealthKnightSteg

• Members
  • Squishing Squickhoppers since 1999
    • https://www.facebook.com/vincent.goede
« Reply #1171 on: October 03, 2019, 08:35:57 AM »

I rarely post here, but that made me feel dirty and sick.  :eusa_sick:
Am I the only one who has the feeling that what we see above are bastard abominable children of a good game and AoS?

These are not official models but conversions by someone that was inspired by a first look at the battletome of Free Cities and his own vision of stuff..
Everyone is entitled to be stupid, but some abuse the privilege.

"Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music." -- Kristian Wilson, Nintendo, Inc, 1989

Offline Gankom

• Members
  • The World Builder
« Reply #1172 on: October 03, 2019, 03:48:53 PM »
That steam tank with the "blimp" above it, it must not be metal for the "blimp" to carry it. :icon_wink:

They use magical alchemical mixtures for their usual sky boats. I don't see why It can't lift a steam tank. Could be worse. They could be riding robotic horses...

The article those are from is showcasing some peoples homebrew conversions to hype the Free Cities books. These other pictures are more traditional.

Offline Gankom

• Members
  • The World Builder
« Reply #1173 on: October 03, 2019, 03:52:57 PM »
There's also a neat article about building scenery for some of the Free Cities.
https://www.warhammer-community.com/2019/10/03/building-the-cities-of-sigmargw-homepage-post-3/

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #1174 on: October 03, 2019, 03:54:29 PM »
Seems like a total branch away from the concept of fantasy having ties to the real world.  Creative, yet oh well, not surprising. :icon_neutral: