home

Author Topic: Warhammer-Weib's Painting Projects  (Read 144293 times)

Offline Warhammer-Weib

• Members
Re: Warhammer-Weib's Painting Projects - Plastic made in China after priming
« Reply #475 on: October 06, 2014, 01:52:29 PM »
Some replies seem to have disappeared after the recent website crash. I guess I had added pics after priming. After primining my base with black and white, the car / plastic made in China suddenly turned light blue and dark blue after a few minutes. I was really worried whether this would affect the painting result ...

Short decal tutorial after a special guest had come by and left decals from his own production for us.

We started to paint a rough wet-in-wet sketch on our bases, just the light situation. As there were only several hours left, I was in quite a hurry to finish it and forgot to take a pic.  :blush:

Two hours left for painting all the details and getting 'nature' onto the base as the subject was 'Post-apocalypse - nature strikes back'.

My base with some more paint and moss:

Offline The Ol Perfesser

• Members
Re: Warhammer-Weib's Painting Projects - Workshop base almost done (pics)
« Reply #476 on: October 06, 2014, 02:22:39 PM »
That base is coming along nicely.  The car looks super rusty, will it stay like that, or are you going to do more with it?
Never make predictions, especially about the future.

Offline Warhammer-Weib

• Members
Re: Warhammer-Weib's Painting Projects - Final workshop results
« Reply #477 on: October 07, 2014, 07:39:22 AM »
I used rust for the very first time and couldn't get enough of it ...  :icon_lol:

It's going to stay that way.

Here are the final workshop results:

Raffa looking at the results, obviously satisfied with the successful implementation of their workshop modules ...   :icon_cool:

And my own base (I'm going to paint the mini and add a few highlights on the edges, maybe change the ivy on the wall and try to make the rust on the sign's attachment liquid again to change its look):

I can really recommend attending workshops. I've learnt more in three days than in one year trying to improve my base-building and painting skills on my own. Plus, meeting other painters is always fun and inspiring.  :happy:

How do you like the results?  :happy:

« Last Edit: October 07, 2014, 07:41:23 AM by Warhammer-Weib »

Offline Rhaegal

• Members
Re: Warhammer-Weib's Painting Projects - Final workshop results (pic-heavy)
« Reply #478 on: October 07, 2014, 08:08:56 AM »
All of them looks very impressive!! And you did it in 2 days!

It's seems the weekend was very creative and inspiring.

At least motivating to me to do such kind of work.  :biggriin:

If it doesn’t challenge you, it doesn’t change you.

Offline Warhammer-Weib

• Members
Re: Warhammer-Weib's Painting Projects
« Reply #479 on: October 17, 2014, 04:54:03 PM »
I'm going to add highlights on the edges, a freehand on the sign (if I manage to get that done  :unsure:) and paint Tom the ex-soldier asap.

Workshop review:

http://massivevoodoo.blogspot.de/2014/10/review-jars-basing-class-ii.html

Further projects on the agenda after finally having finished and sent the pleasant surprise for my recipient: Finish the handbag flagellants and progress the CoB for Rhaegal.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2014, 05:02:36 PM by Warhammer-Weib »

Offline Warhammer-Weib

• Members
Re: Warhammer-Weib's Painting Projects - Flagellant unit filler (help needed)
« Reply #480 on: October 18, 2014, 06:07:05 PM »
After making sure that Rhaegal neither fell into the volcano nor had to stay in Tenerife because his plane hadn't shown up, I started removing the mould lines of the minis standing on the CoB today.  :biggriin:

I'm going to start sculpting sporrans and the nipple chains for my handbag flagellants tomorrow.

Before making a rummage table from plasticard, I have a question: is there a base size I should use for a unit filler and how many minis does such a unit filler usually represent in gaming?  :unsure:

Offline Shadespyre

• Members
« Reply #481 on: October 18, 2014, 06:49:09 PM »
You just need your base size to be a multiple of the bases size of the minis in the rest of the unit so that it fits nicely. So for a human unit on 20mm square bases, it needs to be 40x40mm, or 60x40mm, or 80x60mm or so on.

How big a unit filler should be is a good question! I would always have more than 50% of the unit on single bases, usually the whole back rank too, so that you can remove casualties. Personally, I think that in a 4 or 5 rank unit a filler 2 ranks deep looks best, but if you have to go to 3 or more ranks to fit in what you want to do then go for it. And if you don't plan to play games with the unit then it is even less important! :)

Finally, I prefer to avoid fillers which leave a large visible space in the unit. Fillers that are as tall as or taller than the troops around them have the best visual impact.

Offline JAK

• Members
« Reply #482 on: October 18, 2014, 08:56:57 PM »
As Shadespyre says any size you like, but take into account the removal of figures if it will be used in a game otherwise you’ll end up with a diorama.

You’ve been thinking about this filler for a long time so hopefully you will have a lot of ideas for it.  Plan it out, perhaps build on a sheet of plastic card, and when happy with the way it looks make or find a suitable sized base for it to fit on. It will be less hassle than trying to fit to a specific sized base straight away – you can always add a few extra items/figure  or place the table at an angle if you think it’s not filling the best sized base properly. You don’t have stick to squares and rectangles either, so long as it’s a multiple of 20x20 squares you can have it any shape; T L etc.

If you think the base will be too big you could always put part of it on a separate base i.e. table and customers on 40x40 and cat fight on 20x40, or if something looks good but overhangs the edge modify a rank and file figure to keep it  – someone ducking to avoid a swinging handbag.

Good Luck.

Offline Warhammer-Weib

• Members
Re: Warhammer-Weib's Painting Projects - Flagellant unit size? (help needed)
« Reply #483 on: October 19, 2014, 07:17:12 AM »
Thank you for your help!

In this case, the unit filler isn't just for display purposes. It's for a club member who is going to field the handbag flagellants (together with the entire 'Tutu' army) in a tournament. I have 11 (?) handbag flagellants so far. So 60 x 60 mm (representing 9 flagellants) might be a good size. What do you think?

How many flagellants do you usually field in a game?

@JAK: I like your suggestion of using plasticard bases to experiment! I'm going to assemble the individual parts and see what's the best shape or whether it's better to use separate bases then.  :::cheers:::

Offline Rhaegal

• Members
« Reply #484 on: October 19, 2014, 09:08:08 AM »
Most the time I see unit fillers with size of 40x40 and sometimes 20x(40,60,80).

Offline Shadespyre

• Members
« Reply #485 on: October 19, 2014, 11:21:33 AM »
Flagellants aren't a popular choice these days, they are deemed too expensive (points wise). I think that's mostly because Unbreakable is devalued when Steadfast is so easy to achieve.

Like most infantry now, the bare minimum is 25 in a 5x5 block, if you want them just to stick around for a couple of turns. I have 30 in my army and have 20 more ready to paint in order to make a Sigmarite / Witch Hunter themed list (either 10x5 Horde or two 5x5 blocks).

Offline steveb

• Members
« Reply #486 on: October 19, 2014, 02:07:47 PM »
After making sure that Rhaegal neither fell into the volcano nor had to stay in Tenerife because his plane hadn't shown up, I started removing the mould lines of the minis standing on the CoB today.  :biggriin:

I'm going to start sculpting sporrans and the nipple chains for my handbag flagellants tomorrow.

Before making a rummage table from plasticard, I have a question: is there a base size I should use for a unit filler and how many minis does such a unit filler usually represent in gaming?  :unsure:

sporrans are okay as long as they do not have pink handles.  steveb     the rest of your stuff is looking real good, keep going. steveb

Offline Warhammer-Weib

• Members
Re: Warhammer-Weib's Painting Projects - A Christmas present from me to ...
« Reply #487 on: October 21, 2014, 06:55:18 AM »
... me!   :biggriin:

I've been travelling around so much to painters' meetings and workshops lately and have always found it difficult to store all my paint pots, brushes, the wet palette and minis, so I've just pre-ordered the ultimate paint rack set ...  :happy:

https://paint-rack.backerkit.com/hosted_preorders
« Last Edit: October 21, 2014, 08:18:20 AM by Warhammer-Weib »

Offline The Ol Perfesser

• Members
Re: Warhammer-Weib's Painting Projects - A Christmas present from me to ...
« Reply #488 on: October 21, 2014, 10:41:20 AM »
Wow!  Nice!

Offline Warhammer-Weib

• Members
Re: Warhammer-Weib's Painting Projects - Resin cast
« Reply #489 on: October 26, 2014, 10:22:02 AM »
I'm able to make my own moulds and cast bases and all kinds of stuff for bases, unit fillers and dioramas now. Pics of today's work:

Offline Ursa Doom

• Members
  • From northern Sweden
« Reply #490 on: October 26, 2014, 10:54:45 AM »
That looks pretty slick.

Offline The Ol Perfesser

• Members
« Reply #491 on: October 26, 2014, 12:55:07 PM »
Wow nice!!!!  I need to learn how to do that.   :::cheers::: :::cheers::: :::cheers:::

Offline Rhaegal

• Members
« Reply #492 on: October 26, 2014, 05:14:56 PM »
Cool..  :smile2:
Now I know who I can ask if I'm in need of such stuff.  :biggriin:

Offline Shadespyre

• Members
« Reply #493 on: October 26, 2014, 07:33:41 PM »
That's how the bases for my Vampire Counts army happen too. It's pretty easy, though the materials aren't so cheap. But if you want to make lots of copies of something it saves a lot of time. Are all those bases and parts your own work? They look really nice.  :eusa_clap:

Offline Darknight

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
  • Dipped in Magic, Clothed in Science
« Reply #494 on: October 26, 2014, 07:35:38 PM »
It can be a lot cheaper than trying to spend the time making time-consuming custom components. I bought a nice "starter" kit - it was like $70 or something. Very nice indeed.
Completed Projects | History of Ophelia VII

Quote from: PhillyT
Everyone finds their balance between satisfaction and obsession.

Offline Shadespyre

• Members
« Reply #495 on: October 26, 2014, 07:59:27 PM »
I guess cheap is a relative concept - mind you, sometimes seems like everything is more expensive here in the UK!

Offline Warhammer-Weib

• Members
« Reply #496 on: October 26, 2014, 09:33:14 PM »
In any case, it was much cheaper than buying 30 additional bases for my miners. Plus a lot of fun to learn a new technique.  :happy:

Offline Warhammer-Weib

• Members
« Reply #497 on: October 26, 2014, 10:22:30 PM »
Just for the sake of completeness, the minis / terrain I was working on in the last months for W-E's yearly miniature exchange:

Bathalian

When he was almost finished, I completely messed him up using a new technique. He had to take an Acetone bath, and I started from scratch changing the colour scheme to put into practice what I had learned at the painting workshop. The head had been a very dark purple and I had painted the rest of the mini in Nordland colours for Zjivago's army so that the focus wasn't on Bathalian's head where it should be, but on the yellow clothes. It turned out to be much better to use yellow for the head.

The balewind vortex for Zjivago's landship:

Seascape display base for Bathalian ...

... and the mermaid

Next on the agenda: Finish all projects I promised to get done for friends and club members in order to be able to prepare my first contribution for a painting competition, a diorama dedicated to all those fighting addiction. I know exactly how it's going to look like as the idea has assumed shape and developed into a precise plan for two years now. I've been longing to do that for a long time, but lacked the skills and techniques to be able to put it into practice. Time to roll up my sleeves and get to work now.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2014, 10:25:05 PM by Warhammer-Weib »

Offline Darknight

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
  • Dipped in Magic, Clothed in Science
« Reply #498 on: October 26, 2014, 10:44:07 PM »
Your stuff is just so artistic and imaginative.
Completed Projects | History of Ophelia VII

Quote from: PhillyT
Everyone finds their balance between satisfaction and obsession.

Offline Warhammer-Weib

• Members
« Reply #499 on: October 27, 2014, 09:14:29 AM »
 :blush: