home

Author Topic: The Gates of Kislev painting project (battle report)  (Read 203342 times)

Offline Xathrodox86

• Members
  • He Who Fights Monsters
    • https://www.facebook.com/michalgorzanski
Re: The Gates of Kislev painting project
« Reply #650 on: February 02, 2018, 02:21:54 PM »
Theodore looks huge too...?

He was created by alchemical means, supposedly.

In Nuln, of course. :biggriin: :-P
Check out my wargaming blog "It always rains in Nuln". Reviews, rants and a robust dose of wargaming and RPG fun guaranteed. ;)

http://italwaysrainsinnuln.blogspot.com/

"Dude, that's not funny. Xathrodox would never settle for being a middleman."

Gneisenau

Offline Drakenhof

• Members
« Reply #651 on: February 05, 2018, 11:08:54 PM »
Generals,

We are proud to annouce that we already have the definitive date for the Battle of the Gates of Kislev, our recreation of the high point of The Great War agains Chaos!!!  :biggriin: :ph34r: :happy:

After some delays, we have established the weekend of June 16-17 as the day of the Armaggedon, the Rag'narok, the Rhana Dandra or as you prefer to call it. We have placed a counter on the blog to indicate the remaining days.

There are still many miniatures to paint to reach the 80.000 pts goal (according 8th rules), but we'll keep working hard. Also, there is a battlefield to be done, and so it will be after all the minis had been painted.

Also, there is a new regiment painted to add reinforcements to the Chaos horde: Our comrade Jordi have finished a regiment of 30 Nurgle Chaos Chosen!

« Last Edit: February 05, 2018, 11:12:57 PM by Drakenhof »

Offline Zak

• Members
  • Mad Viking
    • Mad Viking
« Reply #652 on: February 06, 2018, 06:33:40 PM »
 :::cheers::: :::cheers::: :::cheers:::
Yes I'm dyslexic so what

Offline Naitsabes

• Members
  • Never slid
« Reply #653 on: February 07, 2018, 05:21:17 AM »
That's an exciting development. The clock is ticking  :eusa_clap: :eusa_clap: :eusa_clap:

So, will there be live coverage? internet tv? Interviews with the players? Grid girls between rounds?
The Empire Road to Volganof Last update 18Mar2023 - Pistoliers & Baggage train)

Offline Rogers Kul

• Members
« Reply #654 on: February 08, 2018, 08:59:56 AM »
I spoke with my wife to do so, taking a walk around the table looking at the camera with a spice smile, wearing just a few pieces of neolithic fur clothes and showing the number of the next turn. She seemed not convinced at all...

Unfortunately, our sources probably don't allow us to make a live coverage. Anyway, we'll study that option. The truth is that could be an amazing experience.

Offline adso113

• Members
« Reply #655 on: February 08, 2018, 04:17:04 PM »
Please, for the love of all that is right and good with the world, find a way to do that. At the very least a highlight video. I've been excited for this project for a long time and I'd love to see the culmination of all this work.

Offline Zak

• Members
  • Mad Viking
    • Mad Viking
« Reply #656 on: February 08, 2018, 05:17:03 PM »
Please, for the love of all that is right and good with the world, find a way to do that. At the very least a highlight video. I've been excited for this project for a long time and I'd love to see the culmination of all this work.

YEAH  :eusa_clap: :eusa_clap: :eusa_clap:
Yes I'm dyslexic so what

Offline Rogers Kul

• Members
« Reply #657 on: February 10, 2018, 03:02:16 PM »
Hi, I would like to do it, both things.
I'm currently studing how to do that. But I have no experience on recording, so I'm a little lost on that matter. Can anybody advice my about this? What kind of camera is the best choice, for example?
And about live coverage, first of all I have a regular internet connexion, I don't know if it could works correctly.
If you know anything about all this, please write it!

Offline warhammerlord_soth

• Administrator
  • Members
  • Eurobash : Ascension weekend. Be there !
Re: The Gates of Kislev painting project (help on recording is needed!)
« Reply #658 on: February 12, 2018, 09:43:15 AM »
You want to stream it using a streaming service like Twitch.

I know someone who regularly does this.
Have one  on Midaski's tab.  :::cheers:::
Famous last words. R.I.P.

Offline Rogers Kul

• Members
« Reply #659 on: February 13, 2018, 08:39:42 AM »
Thank you Lord Soth, I 'll consider that. I have a meetig on friday with a professonal audiovisual designer and I'll will tell him.
Finally I decided to turn a professional in order to assure a good repporting. The ideal goal is to develop three kind of videos: the battle repport itself, a short documentary about the making of, and a third one with a fixed camera with live coverage. We'll see how many of them we can do.

Offline Naitsabes

• Members
  • Never slid
« Reply #660 on: February 13, 2018, 06:43:05 PM »
one day in the far future, when you sit on that rocking chair on the porch, resting your old bones, you might be able to get your grandchildren to take off their VR helmet for a few minutes. Then you tell a grandpa story about the good old days when people played with physical toys and you will show them these videos on some old-fashioned device you pull from your pocket. so...pretty important to get this right.
The Empire Road to Volganof Last update 18Mar2023 - Pistoliers & Baggage train)

Offline spite

• Members
« Reply #661 on: February 14, 2018, 09:19:47 AM »
Loving the Nurgle Knights and Warriors, the green is usually not my cup of tea but I think it's done fantastically well, same goes with the blood I usually feel it's overdone but it contrasts well and seems to fit the horrid nature of the units. Great work, looking forward to seeing more.

Offline Xathrodox86

• Members
  • He Who Fights Monsters
    • https://www.facebook.com/michalgorzanski
« Reply #662 on: February 14, 2018, 01:28:31 PM »
Scary looking mofos. :ph34r:
Check out my wargaming blog "It always rains in Nuln". Reviews, rants and a robust dose of wargaming and RPG fun guaranteed. ;)

http://italwaysrainsinnuln.blogspot.com/

"Dude, that's not funny. Xathrodox would never settle for being a middleman."

Gneisenau

Offline Illumini

• Members
« Reply #663 on: February 16, 2018, 07:43:13 PM »
You should definitively use a 360 degree camera as the fixed camera. (samsung gear 360 for example), gives an amazing feeling when people can pan the camera view around themselves.
Kislev Army Blog - https://mandollies.com

Offline Rogers Kul

• Members
« Reply #664 on: February 17, 2018, 03:31:07 PM »
one day in the far future, when you sit on that rocking chair on the porch, resting your old bones, you might be able to get your grandchildren to take off their VR helmet for a few minutes. Then you tell a grandpa story about the good old days when people played with physical toys and you will show them these videos on some old-fashioned device you pull from your pocket. so...pretty important to get this right.

Nice picture... but we don't plan to have childs so, no neither grandchild. Just a nephew to talk about!

Returning to recording theme. Yesterday I had a meeting with a professional to make this kind of thing correctly. I have no formal education on audiovisuals and it's also very expensive to buy all the material I would need. So, better use a professional. It will be also expensive but, at least, it will assure the final product will be perfect. I'm thinking on open a Verkami to be able to sponsor all this efforts (Verkami is a platform for sponsoring different kind of projects, specially in arts, entertainment, ect.). So, I will keep informing you about this.

Offline Konrad von Richtmark

• Members
  • Marius Leitdorf Lives!
« Reply #665 on: February 17, 2018, 11:30:54 PM »

Pfft, by the time we have grandchildren, VR helmets will be old shit. Our grandchildren will be using direct computer-to-brain interfaces for entertainment.
The only good thing about 7th ed heads is that they look particularly inbred and superstitious which is perfect for Stirlanders

• Members
  • Marius Leitdorf Lives!
« Reply #666 on: February 23, 2018, 09:17:36 PM »
Those green Chaos knights, are they the newest GW plastic Chaos knights, or the older fare?
The only good thing about 7th ed heads is that they look particularly inbred and superstitious which is perfect for Stirlanders

Offline Rogers Kul

• Members
« Reply #667 on: February 23, 2018, 09:47:52 PM »
Both, actually. Old knights with  new steed and lance.
We keep working, but I have not enought time to write and piblish new finished units. Soon you'll see kislevite Kreml guard and a unit of 39 empire knights from the order of the gryffon. Then I'll focus my entire attention on scenery.

• Members
  • Marius Leitdorf Lives!
« Reply #668 on: February 23, 2018, 11:34:18 PM »
I was just wondering because I just recently got an idea for a Chaos army. Not that anything will probably come of it, I get such flights of fancy all the time, and will probably have something else on my mind when I get my Empire army to the point where I can divert attention to other initiatives.

The new Chaos Knights (along with the corresponding Warriors) aren't bad, but to me, they seem a little bit overdone. Like over-decorated Christmas trees. There is something to be said for the simpler, cleaner 6th edition designs. They had a certain calm but eerily menacing presence about them. Tireless, ever advancing, all the humanity slowly faded away except for their dedication to the path of the warrior.

Offline Gankom

• Members
  • The World Builder
« Reply #669 on: February 24, 2018, 12:21:50 AM »

Pfft, by the time we have grandchildren, VR helmets will be old shit. Our grandchildren will be using direct computer-to-brain interfaces for entertainment.

I'll be very disappointed in society if by the time I have grandkids their not just brains in jars attached to giant ass kill bots.

Living the Ad Mech dream!

Offline Drakenhof

• Members
« Reply #670 on: February 26, 2018, 06:13:36 PM »
I think I didn't show you these carachters I finished between December-January. They are 12 characters from four provinces, three of each kind: Elector Counts, BSBs, Engineers and Captains. The reason for this is the huge army will be divided in some kind of corps d'armée (mainly, by provinces); then, there will be more than one General and one BSB per army.

Reikland and Stirland got 4 of them; Averland and Wissenland 2. Unlike large contingents we include (Ostermark, Reikland+Altdorf and Middenland), the last Magnus’ contingent will include at equal parts troops from Averland and Wissenland (also from the City State of Nuln), so in this case the ‘state’ characters present a duality of schemes. More comments about the models below:

Reikland:

Stirland:

Averland & Wissenland:

WIPs and closer pics of the Elector Counts. The Generals are assembled with pieces which come from plastic sprues, mainly General of The Empire plastic sprue and General on Griffon. Also the Averland EC got the cloak from the a resin Kurt Helborg. I had some troubles trying to find a suitable horse for 2 of the Elector Counts, because I didn’t want to use the typical Empire barded warhorse. My first idea was to use the horses of Kurt Helborg and Ludwig Schwartzhelm, but as soon as I tried to fit the pieces I wasn’t convinced.

I ended up "confiscating" the horses that pull the Celestial Hurricanum. I simply filed the chains and straps and added some reins, which come from the sprue of Demigryph’s, cutting it a little bit and giving them shape so that they fit around the neck of the horse. I replaced the small “flaming” skulls in the head of these horses; the Stirland one got the skull with a laurel wreath (Kurt Helborg's horse) and the Griffon from the Grand Theogonist's staff in the case of the Reiklander.

BSBs. The Reiklander and the Wissenlander are metal versions; the Stirlander is made from the multi-component plastic sprue of Empire General, using the head of Volkmar the Grim to give it more character. I just added some green putty to fit his neck.

Captains. All sacred metal models.

Engineers. Note that I have painted the edge of the base in Steel Legion Drab instead of black. The reason is that, like in the Steam Tank or the War Machines cases, it will not be included in any regiment and, since the imperial miniatures painted by Rogers and Diosko have the edge of the base of this color, we will achieve uniformity of the bases (in the rest of the miniatures it won’t be necessary, since I will make the corresponding movement trays). Once the battle is over I will repaint it in black to match the rest of my minis:

Also, you have plenty more pics on our blog . Hope you enjoyed it!

Bonus pic, don't run Stirland BSB is watching! (dedicated to the procastinator ability I unhappily own :-D):

« Last Edit: February 26, 2018, 06:19:09 PM by Drakenhof »

Offline Zak

• Members
  • Mad Viking
    • Mad Viking
« Reply #671 on: February 26, 2018, 08:01:04 PM »
NICE WORK!!!!  :::cheers::: :::cheers::: :::cheers:::
Yes I'm dyslexic so what

Offline S.O.F

• Members
« Reply #672 on: February 27, 2018, 12:38:02 AM »
Lovely stuff, sadly the Stirland Elector suffers from GW's issue from the 7th but especially the 8th of jamming Karl Franz's name on everything.
Soldier of Fortune
Crazy DOW player
Rabid Mets Fan

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
  • Happy Spring! : )
« Reply #673 on: February 27, 2018, 10:38:26 PM »
I like the characters! :icon_biggrin: :::cheers:::
"Not all who wander are lost ... " Tolkien

"... my old suggestion is forget it, take two aspirins and go paint" steveb

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

"Until death it is all life." Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra

Offline Rogers Kul

• Members
« Reply #674 on: March 09, 2018, 08:55:30 AM »
This is the last unit before I focus my attention into scenery. 39 Knights Griffon commanded by Magnus the Pious, following the colour scheme from the book "Uniforms & Heraldry of the Empire". This is a 1.000 points unit!

Now, back to the city of Kislev!