home

Author Topic: Storing bitz  (Read 865 times)

Offline Syphon

• Members
Storing bitz
« on: February 21, 2022, 10:51:56 AM »
Right now I have several massive boxes filled with bitz that are unsorted. Yes, even after hours of sorting, I'm still not done. It kind of led me to think: how do you store your bitz? Do you keep them on the sprue or take them off? If you keep them on the sprues, do you keep them in the boxes they came in, and so on and so forth. Pictures would be nice too.
Now go! Ride towards the sun atop these noble steeds
You're our spandex heroes, now fullfil your destinies
And so we turned and rode beyond the castle walls
with shiny codpiece armour that doth cradle our chivalrous balls

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
  • Happy Spring! : )
Re: Storing bitz
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2022, 11:52:28 AM »
Currently most of mine remain on the sprues, and I keep them in the original boxes.  When they come off the sprues I have used small plastic bags that I tuck into a shoe box, or I have used plastic trays with divided compartments and usually they have a hinged lid.  The latter can be bought at most craft stores.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2022, 05:21:54 PM by GamesPoet »
"Not all who wander are lost ... " Tolkien

"... my old suggestion is forget it, take two aspirins and go paint" steveb

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

"Until death it is all life." Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra

Offline JAK

• Members
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2022, 05:16:12 PM »
I have a few shoebox sized boxes where I keep parts for my current projects. If it is a new kit these parts will remain on the sprue and I’ll keep the original box and instructions (although you may have noticed I'm not very good at following them) until the project is finished.

Once the project is done any remaining parts are cut off and I recycle the sprue, original box and instructions. The parts are then put in my Bits Boxes which used to consist of a number of small plastic (cassette sized) boxes holding different items, heads, bodies, legs, swords, spears etc. right down to ones for books and lamps, but last Summer I also acquired a number of old Video cases which being larger hold a lot more bits. Since I’ve been doing some 40K stuff I also have an ice cream box full of vehicle parts.

When I start a new project I go through these various boxes taking out items that might be useful and keep them all in an empty Video case which goes in, with any new kit I may have bought, to a shoebox until the project’s built.

That is the theory but a problem I have is I am too impatient to start new projects (normally have three or more on the go at a time) that I never return the unused parts to their respective boxes and so every 6 months or so I have to spend a few hours sorting out this backlog of boxes of jumbled up bits.

The above is all plastic, I have a couple of biscuit tins full of metal figures which I only look at occasionally.

Offline Jmash

• Members
  • Lancashire, UK
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2022, 12:34:22 AM »
Any army I have has it's own bits box, they start life as those multi-celled hobby boxes but quickly get too full.

Bits are generally cut off sprues and kept in those little re-sealable bags, sorted by the unit type or some other logical manner, labelled as such. For example my Empire box has bags for Greatswords, Handgunners, Soldiers, Knights etc. But my Imperial Guard have less distinctive troop 'types' so they are more straightforward; legs, torsos, accessories, heavy weapons and so on.

I have an absolute shed load of those bags so if there's any unusual I'm working on that gets it's own bag too.

Offline KTG17

• Members
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2022, 05:59:46 PM »
Any army I have has it's own bits box. . . Bits are generally cut off sprues and kept in those little re-sealable bags

I've been doing something similar. Its why things like Battalion sets or army boxes are so important to me. I need a place to store everything logically until I get around to it.

However, I really have been trying hard to get rid of things I do not need, and have been keeping things to a bare minimum. I've actually sold off a lot of bits and were amazed how quickly they were bought. Maybe I am not charging enough I don't know. But you would be surprised how much you can get from bits just sitting in a box in your closet not being used.

Offline Syphon

• Members
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2022, 08:22:52 AM »
Does the below container look good to you guys?

24 storage compartments with modular capabilities.

There's also this one:

Thoughts?

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2022, 12:15:05 PM »
I've used ones like the bottom one, but that doesn't mean the top one can't be useful.

The bottom one seems to have 36 storage compartments, instead of the 24 with the top one, although the bottom compartments look smaller, so using either might depend on how you're planning to use them.

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

Offline Syphon

• Members
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2022, 05:20:50 PM »
I went ahead and bought 2 of those on credit. We'll see if those help.

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2022, 05:42:31 PM »
One of each?

Offline Syphon

• Members
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2022, 06:02:16 PM »
Nah, the bottom one. It seemed the best one. They are flatter than I'd expected, though. Still, I think I can make it work. Will inform tomorrow.

Offline Jmash

• Members
  • Lancashire, UK
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2022, 11:27:55 PM »
Yeah the bottom one looks most similar to the ones I've got, though the ones I've got have removable compartments that very quickly get taken out and I just end up with a plastic trough full of plastic bags!  :-P

Offline Syphon

• Members
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2022, 04:13:42 PM »
Here's my first box, labeled and filled in order of whatever sprues I came across first.

rhyme nor reason by Syphon Can't Do Anything, on Flickr

Offline Jmash

• Members
  • Lancashire, UK
« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2022, 05:52:12 PM »
Exactly as it should be done! :eusa_clap:

Just give it a few weeks and they'll be all over the show! :-P