home

Author Topic: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]  (Read 643038 times)

Offline Karl Voss of Averland

• Members
  • Captain of Loningbruck
Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
« Reply #7850 on: July 20, 2014, 09:49:45 PM »
"I see. Off we go then." Admund replies to the master of ceremonies.

While walking, Admund notices Ulrun's finely combed mustache. "Herr Ulrun, your mustache is looking well off today. You spend all morning combing that?"
I sexually violated the cat.  When we have children I will push harder for this time honored and enjoyable tradition

Remembering what Rufas started and endures in us all

Offline Mogsam

• Members
  • Resident Jewish Panda
« Reply #7851 on: July 20, 2014, 10:11:48 PM »
"Oh yes." he replies deadpan. "The mockier 'The Magnificent' is difficult to hold onto at the best of times you know. You have to look the part!" He doesn't acknowledge that he has cheated, illusions work better when people believe.
Curse you and your ability to stay within the lines.

Offline commandant

• Members
« Reply #7852 on: July 21, 2014, 12:36:38 AM »
Mortus smiles at Ulrun's reply.   She is holding her sword very tightly, so tight that her knuckles are white.

Offline rufus sparkfire

• The Old Ones
  • Members
« Reply #7853 on: July 21, 2014, 12:28:20 PM »
At the appropriate time, the party are led out into the Square of Martials. They are confronted by the sight of an enormous crowd - huge numbers of people have flocked here to witness the ceremony. Unsurprisingly, there is a large dwarf contingent. But there are also humans, halflings and even elves of every social class. Graf Boris is seated on a throne upon a large wooden platform. Beside him are Ar-Ulric, the Middenmarshals, and the Knight-Commander of the Knights Panther. Also on the platform are various important court figures: Law Lord Ehrlich, The Princess and her Chaperone, Rallane, Allavandrel, the High Wizard, and the Knight Eternal. Two dozen Knights Panther in full regalia surround the platform.

A narrow path has been left through the crowd, running from the palace gates to the platform. This path is lined on both sides with men-at-arms of the Knight Panther, carrying halberds. The party follow the master of ceremonies along this path to the platform. They stop beside it, and wait.

Graf Boris rises to his feet. As he does, the tumult of the crowd dies down.

"Citizens and visitors," he says, his voice carrying to every corner of the square, "thank you for attending this ceremony. We are here to bestow perhaps the greatest honour the city of Middenheim can give: membership of the Knightly Order of the Panther.

"All of you know of the unfair taxes levied against dwarfs, wizards and priests over the last few weeks. Hopefully, all of you know that they have been repealed. What you may not know is the story behind those taxes. While I was incapacitated by a lengthy illness, an insidious conspiracy gained partial control of the government of this city. The members of this plot, instigated by Gotthard Brandt-"

The crowd spontaneously boos!

"-included those who had risen to trusted positions in the treasury, in the courts, in the guilds, and even in my own household. It was they who created the tax laws, as a means of generating unrest. Ultimately, they planned to make an armed uprising and seize total control. Among their victims was Law Lord Hoflich, who had served his city for many years.

"The conspirators came very close to achieving their aims. However, they were thwarted by the actions of a small group of exceptional people. These people, through their determination and brilliance, first exposed and then destroyed the plot. All the conspirators have been arrested, all weapons and evidence have ben seized, and every scheme has been undone. Inspired by the example of these heroes of Middenheim, I have risen from my sickbed to lead the city once more!"

The crowd cheers!

"Now I intend to induct these heroes into the Middenheim chapter of the Knights of the Order of the Panther. Let all citizens treat them with the respect they are due!" The Graf gestures towards the party. "Step up and receive your honours. Let my champion, Julian Stonebridge, approach first."

The Knight-Commander takes a step closer to the Graf, and opens a small casket containing gold medallions.
Hey, I could still beat up a woman!
If I wanted to.

Offline rufus sparkfire

• The Old Ones
  • Members
« Reply #7854 on: July 21, 2014, 10:32:37 PM »
Julian ascends the platform and kneels before the Graf. As he does, the master of ceremonies calls out "Julian Stonebridge, the Graf's Champion!"

The Graf takes a golden medallion from the Knight-Commander, and hangs it around Julian's neck. The medallion has the panther crest of the order inlaid into it in silver. "Well done, champion," the Graf says quietly. Then, more loudly, he says, "Julian Stonebridge: in recognition of your service to the city of Middenheim, I welcome you to the Knightly Order of the Panther."

The crowd cheer - some of them chanting Julian's name. Julian rises to his feet, and goes to stand at the front of the platform as instructed.

Heinrich is next. The master of ceremonies calls, "Heinrich des Untergangs!" Heinrich steps forward, kneels, and receives the medallion from the Graf. The Graf repeats the same formal words. Then Heinrich goes to stand by Julian. The crowd cheer again!

This proceeds for the rest of the group:

"Klaus von Sternberg!"
"Admund Auerswalder!"
"Ulrun the Magnificent!"
"Maximilian Breytenbach!"
"Ragni Greathammer!"
"Mortus Basanduine!"

After each person receives the medallion, the crowd cheers enthusiastically. Once the whole group is lined up, the Knight-Commander sets aside the empty casket and draws his sword. Walking to the front of the platform, he calls, "Knights Panther: do you swear to serve the Graf and the City of Middenheim with all of your will? Do you swear to defend The Empire from all dangers? Do you swear to be valorous, courageous, honest and just?"
If I wanted to.

Offline Cannonofdoom

• Members
« Reply #7855 on: July 21, 2014, 10:37:56 PM »
Heinrich swears with the appropriate words and motions.
CannonofDoom spews his shit at me all the time and I haven't banned him.

Offline commandant

• Members
« Reply #7856 on: July 21, 2014, 10:50:27 PM »
[Insert at the corect moment].

Mortus gulps, she can feel the sweat on her brow.   She closes her eyes.   The medallion is heavy around her neck, weighing her down.   She hears rather than feels herself saying the words, her arms moving through the correct motions like a dance.   She can hear the crowd, see them.   She gulps again.

• Members
  • Captain of Loningbruck
« Reply #7857 on: July 22, 2014, 03:25:21 AM »
Admund draws his longsword fluidly and holds it aloft as instructed, saying firmly "I so swear."
I sexually violated the cat.  When we have children I will push harder for this time honored and enjoyable tradition

Offline Fandir Nightshade

• Members
« Reply #7858 on: July 22, 2014, 04:15:31 AM »
As Klaus hand goes for the sword it trembles a bit ...will the gods punish me for becoming a noble and not staying at my place? Looking up to the sky he smiles and pulls out the sword with a loud and firm voice befitting of a noble he shouts...."I so swear!"

Offline Mogsam

• Members
  • Resident Jewish Panda
« Reply #7859 on: July 22, 2014, 07:33:43 AM »
Uluru swears as required.

Offline Finlay

• Members
  • C'mon Son
« Reply #7860 on: July 22, 2014, 08:47:16 AM »
Julian grasps Barrakul and raises it to the sky.

He glances around at his companions and lets a smile cross his face, remembering that first pint in Bogenhafen.

Then the solemnity of the words drills into Julian's brain, and he faces forward, shouting "I swear"
I don't care about the rules.

Pass the machete.

Offline rufus sparkfire

• The Old Ones
  • Members
« Reply #7861 on: July 22, 2014, 02:25:35 PM »
Max and Ragni also swear the oath. Max does so proudly, but Ragni sounds a little uncertain.

The Knight-Commander calls out, "Does his grace accept the oaths of these knights?"

"Aye," the Graf says, "I accept, and pronounce them Knights Panther. Let their names be entered on the roll of honour for all time!"

The crowd cheer wildly! Eight knights step up carrying blue cloaks trimmed with panther fur. They put these around the shoulders of each member of the group (the cloaks have been cut to the correct size for each person).

The Graf raises his hands to call for quiet. "Ar-Ulric and the School of Wizards and Alchemists have petitioned for an additional reward, to which the Temple and the School have contributed substantial funds. We initially considered an award of property within the city, but I do not wish to put pressure on the new knights to settle here. Therefore I have decided to issue a monetary reward. The city treasury, the Temple of Ulric, and the School of Wizards and Alchemists are united in offering each of my new knights the sum of 2500 crowns. Should any of you wish to purchase houses here, you are very welcome to do so. Else you may spend the money however you see fit!"

Law Lord Ehrlich, standing in for the Chancellor, hands each of the party a letter of credit for 2500 crowns, which can be redeemed at the treasury later.

Everyone remains in place for a short while as the crowd continues to cheer. Then the heralds blow their trumpets, and the Graf leads a procession to the Royal Gardens. Cheering crowds line the way. At the gardens, food and drink is served under awnings that provide cool shade from the midday sun. Most of Middenheim's leading citizens have been invited to join the celebration.

[Each member of the party now holds the title of 'Knight of the Order of the Panther, Middenheim Chapter,' or 'Knight Panther' for short. They are properly to be addressed as 'Sir.' Such is their new fame that they gain +5 to their Social Standing, and an additional +5 while in Middenheim. If displaying their medallions, their Class and Standing are considered to be A1, or A5 in Middenheim (Class A indicates nobility).

Each party member has a golden medallion with the insignia of the Knights Panther, a blue cloak trimmed with panther fur, and a letter of credit for 2500 crowns.]
If I wanted to.

• Members
« Reply #7862 on: July 22, 2014, 04:48:03 PM »
Klaus will immediately walk over to Max...."Sir Max Breytenbach! Sure has a nice ring to it. Max...I wanted to ask you something." He leans a bit closer to him. "Do you think it would be appropriate to ask the Graf if I could utter some words to the crowd? I would point out that we wouldn´t have uncovered if not for the help of the brave people of Middenheim, especially the city watch, the wizards guild, the Ar Ulric and the Dwarves. I think this way we could further mend the fences and really....we WOULDN`T have made it without the help of these people...so what do you think?"

Offline Mogsam

• Members
  • Resident Jewish Panda
« Reply #7863 on: July 22, 2014, 05:19:59 PM »
Ulrun approaches Admund when they reach he party and their is a lul. He hasn't had a spare moment to speak to him so far. "Sir Admund." he says with a slight bow. He has his cloak still on and his medallion is clearly displayed over his clothes, clearly he is enjoying being a noble. "I have completed the research into your sword. It should" he emphasizes should "be cleansed."

Offline rufus sparkfire

• The Old Ones
  • Members
« Reply #7864 on: July 22, 2014, 10:21:06 PM »
Max blushes. "I'm not sure I want people to call me sir!" he says to Klaus, "it doesn't seem right... gosh, you'll be Sir Klaus, Count von Sternberg! Or just count, which takes precedence really. Although, you aren't an attested count yet, while you are certainly a knight!"

In response to Klaus's question about making a speech, Max says, "Well, it wouldn't have been appropriate at the ceremony. But maybe here at the garden party it would be acceptable. It's a nice idea to thank all the people who helped us. Um, yes, I think it would be fine to ask."

Ragni stays close to Julian. "I don't like these fancy parties, Boss," he says, "I'd rather go to a nice noisy inn and swig some ale!"
« Last Edit: July 23, 2014, 10:29:56 AM by rufus sparkfire »
If I wanted to.

• Members
« Reply #7865 on: July 23, 2014, 09:24:36 AM »
"So how do I get attention without breaching any unwritten rule of the Middenheim nobility Max?"

Offline rufus sparkfire

• The Old Ones
  • Members
« Reply #7866 on: July 23, 2014, 10:27:45 AM »
"Um, I'm expecting someone to call for a toast at some point," Max says, "generally speaking, it's allowed to make a short speech after the first couple of toasts."

Sure enough, a little while later, Marshal von Genscher calls for quiet in his booming voice. He proposes a toast to the Graf for his recovered health, to the city for being safe once more, and to the party for exposing the evil plot. Everyone drinks!

Law Lord Ehrlich proposes a toast to the memory of Law Lord Hoflich. Hoflich was a stern man with few friends, who believed in absolute justice. But he was respected for his commitment to his principles and his loyalty to the city. Everyone drinks again!

Doktor Pavarotti proposes a toast to the carnival! Everyone drinks.

At this point, Max gently nudges Klaus. "Propose a toast, Klaus, and work your speech into it."
If I wanted to.

• Members
« Reply #7867 on: July 23, 2014, 11:32:32 AM »
Klaus lifts his glass in the same manner as pavarotti his voice carries over the whole garden and it manages to be warm and friendly but still firm. " I want to propose a toast to the wonderful city of Middenheim that is so much more than roads and buildings of rock and wood. It is the people living here, yes we uncovered a sinister plot to harm this city of cities in the empire ...but we were only able to do so thanks to the trust and support of several individuals and organizations...namely the Ar Ulric" klaus pauses and raises his glass towards the man with a nod. " the marshalls of the city" he repeats the gesture and does so while naming the others "the wizards and alchemist guild, the dwarven community, the city watch, Rallane, Avanderel, countless
brave citizens of Middenheim and finally the protector of the city who in his wisdom chose to listen to us ...the Graf!"

Offline Finlay

• Members
  • C'mon Son
« Reply #7868 on: July 23, 2014, 11:44:47 AM »
"To Middenheim, and the Graf" Julian bellows, taking a gulp of wine.

Pass the machete.

Offline commandant

• Members
« Reply #7869 on: July 23, 2014, 12:04:37 PM »
Mortus sits quietly at the table during the entire party.   She has a glass of brandy in front of her but doesn't seem to be drinking it.   She raises it for each toast, echoing hollowly the call and sipping barely enough to dampen her lips.   She has one hand inside her belt purse for most of the knight and she is not wearing her medallion.
She will chat politely with anybody that talks to her but will not start any conversations.   She seems agitated, bothered.   During Klaus' speech she takes her had from her belt pouch and drums her fingers lightly on the table.   She raises her glass lower after his speech that after any of the others, her eyes downcast.

Offline rufus sparkfire

• The Old Ones
  • Members
« Reply #7870 on: July 23, 2014, 02:29:36 PM »
The toast is met by (surprisingly raucous) cheers! Several people shout "hear hear!" or "to the Graf!"

Ar-Ulric smiles and nods at the group, though there is a hint of sadness in his eyes. He occasionally glances at Emmanuelle, his former lover, but carefully avoids her. Watch Commander Schutzmann nods soberly at Klaus and the others, but he too sneaks a glance at Emmanuelle. Von Genscher and Schwermutt again offer their personal congratulations to the group. Both are extremely friendly and relaxed. Rallane and Allavandrel, both with ladies in tow, also approach to chat to the group.

Dieter, the former champion, has arrived with his fiancé Kirsten. He waves at the group.

The Knight Eternal (who didn't seem to notice that Klaus left him out of the speech) approaches Mortus and awkwardly tries to chat to her.

The Graf, still weak from his poisoning, is sitting on a chair under one of the awnings. His daughter is talking animatedly to him about all the wonderful carnival events he's missed.

[lots of other people are at the party too, including a number of dwarfs.]
If I wanted to.

Offline commandant

• Members
« Reply #7871 on: July 23, 2014, 02:37:24 PM »
Mortus will respond to the Knight Eternal.   She puts aside her glass and gets progressively more bubbly and happy as the conversation continues.

[What is he talking about?]

Offline Finlay

• Members
  • C'mon Son
« Reply #7872 on: July 23, 2014, 03:16:12 PM »
Julian approaches the Graf “Herr Graff, is it appropriate to talk to you know about the building a Semaphore line? I do not know if you are aware of this innovation, but the communicational possibilities it opens up are immense. There is already a line running to Altdorf, but I do not think it is correct that such a great and innovative city is left behind.” (is there a line running to altdorf? I cant remember where we built them before)

Pass the machete.

Offline rufus sparkfire

• The Old Ones
  • Members
« Reply #7873 on: July 23, 2014, 04:10:13 PM »
The Knight Eternal is talking to Mortus about the weather, the food at the party, the carnival... he's just making small talk, but it's clear that he's rather awkwardly trying to chat her up. He's had a few glasses of wine already, and looks a little drunk.

The Graf nods when Julian asks if he can speak to him. "Yes, I know about Karl-Franz's message towers. I travelled to Nuln some weeks ago, and I saw several of them from the river. So the system has been completed? I see... do they function as intended? A message can be sent from Altdorf to Nuln and back without losing its meaning?"

Julian tells him that the system does indeed work perfectly.

"I do consider my city to be an innovative place, champion. I am interested in first connecting to Altdorf, and then perhaps in building a second line to Marienburg. In the future, perhaps even a link to Erengrad in Kislev. I have two concerns: firstly, the cost of constructing the towers. Secondly, finding a reliable team of engineers to build them. If possible," he smiles slightly as he says this, "I would like them to be more efficient than Karl-Franz's towers."
If I wanted to.

• Members
  • Captain of Loningbruck
« Reply #7874 on: July 23, 2014, 05:51:28 PM »
Admund has a cocksure grin on his face. Never in his wildest dreams would he think coming to Middenheim would result in a knighthood, fame, and more money than he could ever imagine. He wears a small grin on his mostly stoic face. Aye, Sir Admund has a bit of a ring to it, I suppose... Admund thinks to himself, snatching a glass of wine from a passing server's tray.

He's never been a formal garden party, or been in such high class company before, so Admund almost timidly circles the edges of the gardens as if he was circling it, sizing it up for a blow from his longsword. He makes idle chatter with a few people. He spots Sir Siegfried chatting up Mortus and chuckles to himself, Bloody oaf. He raises a glass and heartily toasts along with the others. He approaches the Middenmarshals and politely greets them. He tries his best to not show discomfort in his back from his recent flogging.

During a lull in conversation, Admund makes his way to a refreshment table and grabs another drink. Ulrun's greeting almost startles him and he spins around to face him. "Ah...Sir Magnificent is it now?" Admund jabs playfully taking another sip of wine. "The sword? You cleansed it? What do you mean? Surely it didn't just need a wash?" Admund says unsure.