home

Author Topic: Tau also known as Space Communists  (Read 15037 times)

Offline Thane Godri GoblinSlayer

• Members
Tau also known as Space Communists
« on: December 26, 2008, 05:35:55 PM »
  So, I want another army.  Not fantasy, 40k.  I don't want the dreadful space marines or the herectic guard.  I want the space communists AKA Tau Empire.  I have no experience with Tau Empire and I was hoping that someone here could give me advice. 

I have the armybook, but no models.  I plan on picking some up with Christmas money and the Assault on Black Reach, perhaps I could convert models in it to Tau.  I was already thinking that Orks could become my own version of Kroots with minor conversion. 

But, I have no idea about the space marines in Black Reach.  Please give me ideas and you experiences with Tau. 
Stats this year

Dwarves
W6 L2 D2

Greenskins
W1 L3 D0

Empire
W3 L1 D0

Daemons
W4 L0 D0

Offline Merrick

• Members
  • I say!
    • http://www.facebook.com/WinHereWinThereWinWinEverywhere
Re: Tau also known as Space Communists
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2008, 07:26:02 PM »
I wouldn't waste your money on AoRB, I'd be inclined to spend the 40 quid on 4 battlesuits or something.
Two Hammerheads, and 4 boxes of Fire Warriors, and maybe some Kroot for support should be a nice core to the force.
The rest of the force could just be whatever you think is shiniest.  :-D

• Members
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2008, 03:07:35 PM »
  Well, I already planned on picking up fire warriors and kroot.  And you can't have any army without battlesuits.  Thanks for advice Eight. 
Stats this year

Dwarves
W6 L2 D2

Greenskins
W1 L3 D0

Empire
W3 L1 D0

Daemons
W4 L0 D0

Offline phillyt

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
  • Watching... always watching...
    • https://www.facebook.com/philip.estabrook.1
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2008, 03:49:22 PM »
Yeah, Eight nailed it.  A box of kroot, two firewarriors boxs, 3 battle suits, a pair of hammerheads, and a few pathfinders and stealth suits and you basically done.

Phil
Where did she touch you Eight? Show us on the doll.

Offline Merrick

• Members
  • I say!
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2008, 05:23:19 PM »
Yeah, Eight nailed it.  A box of kroot, two firewarriors boxs, 3 battle suits, a pair of hammerheads, and a few pathfinders and stealth suits and you basically done.

Phil

I doubled the amount of Fire Warriors because of the number of Troops needed these days.
The sheer weight of firepower that 4 squads of 12 can potentially dish out is scary.
Mount a couple of squads in Devilfish for fast support and objective taking.

Offline Johan Willhelm

• Members
  • ~~~~~~~~~~
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2008, 06:17:55 PM »
Stealth Suits are awesome . . . no really that's my contribution to proceedings . . .  :mrgreen:
Rufas the Eccentric:
Some times there will be threads on controversial subjects . . . Reasonable people can disagree about these things . . . It is important to not make personal attacks or get drawn in to personal attacks.

Be it ethics or muppets. Rufas was a good man.

الني

Offline Feanor Fire Heart

• His Royal Highness
  • Members
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2008, 06:36:27 PM »
Stealth Suits are awesome . . . no really that's my contribution to proceedings . . .  :mrgreen:

too true, i use a full squad of them to hunt terminators.  They take them out in 1 and perhaps 2 turns  :happy:
Something we as painters and hobbyists should always remember:
“Dude, suckin’ at something is the first step to being sorta good at something.”
― Jake the Dog

Offline phillyt

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2008, 10:16:08 PM »

too true, i use a full squad of them to hunt terminators.  They take them out in 1 and perhaps 2 turns  :happy:

How does an AP5 unit destroy terminators in 1 or 2 turns?

Phil

Offline Shadowlord

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2008, 10:19:00 PM »

By cheating... Failing that, how about "with utter nonsense". Or better yet, with sheer will power!
My hood is my castle...

• Members
« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2008, 10:32:19 PM »
  Tau are just that good.  We have good firepower and pretty capable troops in hth.  Although one must include a squad of kroot or two to make sure our fire warriors don't get completely massacred in 2 turns. 
Stats this year

Dwarves
W6 L2 D2

Greenskins
W1 L3 D0

Empire
W3 L1 D0

Daemons
W4 L0 D0

Offline Merrick

• Members
  • I say!
« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2008, 10:57:19 PM »

Phil

Fusion Blasters.

Offline phillyt

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2008, 10:59:48 PM »
Ahhh... but with only one shot per turn and a 12" range?

Don't see that as being all that common, sounds a bit more like luck.  Besides, plasma guns are better at terminator removal duty.

Phil

Offline UltimateNoob

• Members
« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2008, 12:28:34 AM »
In 4th edition tau had a preset way of playing and that was mechanized as static armies weren't competitive. 5th edition has reopened the prospect of static with the advent of TLOS.

There are three main, ways to play Tau. Its advisable that you base what you are going to buy on which style you want to play as tau rely on units to support each other. In all choices you require at least a single unit of fire warriors and a battlesuit commander.

The first is static, that is loads of fire warriors + kroot (if you want), sniper drones and broadsides. This army deploys stands and shoots and hopes the enemy doesn't make it. The only mobile component is the devilfish from the pathfinders and maybe the commander and very few suits. If the enemy does make it to your line kroot effectively countercharge. However saying this though I haven't had much experience with this in 5th edition. Just remember fire warriors look good on paper but they just don't stand up to delivering lots of static fire power on their own. Space marines can out shoot fire warrior gunlines which is why the support elements play such a large role through markerlights and "shield commanders".

The second way is mechanized tau which used to be the king of 4th edition, with unkillable skimmers. With TLOS and the skimmer nerf though mechanized has seen less popularity. This army entails everything mounted in devilfishes, using hammerheads and suits to stay out of combat and effectively move 12' per turn. In 4th edition the point of mech was point denial and objective grabbing through unkillable skimmers and unkillable suits which could hide in area terrain. In 5th edition TLOS has prevented true Jump shoot jump while making defensive weapons strength 4 effectively making our tanks either static or slow. Saying this though mechanized tau is still an effective way to play just ask your opponents whether they'll count vechile gundrones as KPs.

The third way is hybrid tau, which uses a fire base and has mobile elements around it. This is the fusion of the two earlier styles and is considered by many the way to play in 5th edition. These armies tend to have a few static fire warrior units, sniper drones, a few mounted ones, suits, pathfinders, hammerheads and broadsides.

There are some units to avoid, however they can be used quite effectively if you know how.

Ethereals are only used for the honour guard fire warriors otherwise you'll see half your army run off the board when they die. They're even less inspiring then space marine commanders which give LD to the whole army while ethereals are only in effect if they are seen by your units.

Vespid, they get 1 shot at 12' which is designed to kill marines. This is good and all except then the marines will rapid fire your toughness 4 5+ save expensive bugs to death, or shoot them with something else after you unload your BS3 payload.

Offline Feanor Fire Heart

• His Royal Highness
  • Members
« Reply #13 on: December 28, 2008, 07:20:46 AM »

Phil

Fusion Blasters.

actually no, i use the pulse canons.  think about it.  its a 6 man squad shooting 3 strg 5 shots each.  termies are going to have to make that save
 :happy:
Something we as painters and hobbyists should always remember:
“Dude, suckin’ at something is the first step to being sorta good at something.”
― Jake the Dog

Offline Johan Willhelm

• Members
  • ~~~~~~~~~~
« Reply #14 on: December 28, 2008, 09:45:56 AM »
See, the Inter-Galactic-Traffic-Wardens are awesome!  :mrgreen:
Rufas the Eccentric:
Some times there will be threads on controversial subjects . . . Reasonable people can disagree about these things . . . It is important to not make personal attacks or get drawn in to personal attacks.

Be it ethics or muppets. Rufas was a good man.

الني

Offline Merrick

• Members
  • I say!
« Reply #15 on: December 28, 2008, 09:53:49 AM »
PhillyT's plasma comment reminds me...Arm all your battlesuits with Missile Pods and Plasma Rifles.
I don't have the book anymore, I sold the army to fund my Empire force, so I can't help with the wargear, I forget what the Tau call their Battlesuit gadgets.

Offline phillyt

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #16 on: December 28, 2008, 03:40:34 PM »
actually no, i use the pulse canons.  think about it.  its a 6 man squad shooting 3 strg 5 shots each.  termies are going to have to make that save
 :happy:

Feanor, thats 18 shots, 9 hits, 6 wounds, and one getting through the 2+ save.  There sin't anyway you are getting rid of them in only 2 turns. 

Phil

Offline Mathi Alfblut

• Members
  • intres cum fixura sine misericordia
« Reply #17 on: December 28, 2008, 04:19:43 PM »
Massed fire will drop even Termies, but I must say that Fusion blasters on battlesuits does the best job of killing termies. Short ranged, yes, but still. Back it up with a fussilade of str5 weaponry and you can bag some Termies.
Oh, and remember GW made it personal, not you!

Offline username

• Members
  • \m/
« Reply #18 on: December 28, 2008, 04:35:29 PM »
Slightly OT, but Tau seem to me like Space Empire in terms of gameplay (or is that IG?)
Heavy firepower, but average in combat, and lots of heavy artillery (broadsides, hammerheads), plus snipers (pathfinders).
*Official Metalhead of WarhammerEmpire*

Offline Merrick

• Members
  • I say!
« Reply #19 on: December 28, 2008, 04:45:50 PM »
Slightly OT, but Tau seem to me like Space Empire in terms of gameplay (or is that IG?)
Heavy firepower, but average in combat, and lots of heavy artillery (broadsides, hammerheads), plus snipers (pathfinders).

IG are the Empire in space.
Tau aren't average in combat, they're shite.

Offline Dazgrim

• Members
« Reply #20 on: December 28, 2008, 06:44:54 PM »
TLOS?
Don't hug me I'm British, we only show affection to dogs and horses.

Grenzstadt stands.

Offline Midaski

• Sunny Sussex, England
  • Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #21 on: December 28, 2008, 06:56:48 PM »
Quote from: Gneisenau
Metal to Finecast - It is mostly a swap of medium. 

You mean they will be using Ouija boards instead of Tarot cards for their business plans from now on?

Offline UltimateNoob

• Members
« Reply #22 on: December 28, 2008, 10:06:47 PM »
With your battlesuits don't glue on their weapons, they're the most versatile units in your army and to be able to change their weaponary without having to remodel them to fit the situation is useful, especially if you discover one of your builds is uselesss. Only glue when you're comfortable with the configuration. Saying that though its often better to specialize your suits.

Common suit configurations are:

Death Rain TL Missile Pod and either a flamer or targetting array
-these are used to hunt light vechiles and medium infantry (not marines)

Fire storm Missile Pod + Burst Cannon + Multitracker
-these are horde killers which can put out more fire power per point then stealth suits can and with higher strength to boot, though they lack stealth. In a pinch they can be used to hunt light vechiles

Fire Knife Missile Pod+ Plasma rifle + Multitracker
- these are the most expensive of suits and fulfill either heavy infantry hunting or light tank hunting, if you choose to use this configuration most people tend to grow out of it as the points spent which creates a suit that doesn't excel at anything, is better spent in more specialized suits.

Helios Plasma Rifle + Fusion Blaster + Multitracker
-these kill heavy infantry, each can down 3 terminators per turn if lucky, though they lack range. In a pinch they can cut through tanks though the suits are as expensive as fireknife and require finesse to play.

Burning Eye TL plasma rifle + support system of your choice
-heavy infantry killers which are slightly cheaper then helios and trade the fusion blaster to hit more often.

Sunforge TL Fusion blaster + Targetting array or shield generator
-more often than not these are suicide suits which are deep struck into enemy lines and blow tanks up, otherwise getting close to tanks requires careful placement.

Fire surge Missile Pod + Fusion Blaster + Multitracker
-these are either deep struck and hunt tanks or used as a mini death rain until the suit can get close enough.

TL flamer and Missile Pod
-these can either be deep struck to clear out hordes or troops in cover or used as a light vechile hunter until it can close the distance between the enemy. As flamers have been boosted in 5th this configuration which was once rare is now seeing more play.

Centurion (only shas'vre and higher) Cyclic Ion Blaster+ Plasma Rifle + Targetting array + HW multitracker
-this acts as an infantry hunter though should only be used in the presence of BS5.

The beauty of battlesuits is their versatility the configurations above are the common ones off the top of my head. At the end of the day battlesuits fill the unique niche of mid ranged, mid strength fire power or any other niche in your army thus you should gear them appropriately.

Offline phillyt

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #23 on: December 29, 2008, 02:55:17 AM »
Wow, great post Ultimatenoob.  Consider yourself promoted!

Holy shit, I can't type.  I just had to fix that sentence about 5 times.  I am drunk right now... marginally.  I think I am actually just super bozzy.  Not much food.  Just got done playing D&D...

Phil

Offline Mathi Alfblut

• Members
  • intres cum fixura sine misericordia
« Reply #24 on: December 29, 2008, 10:15:21 AM »
Heck, as a former Tau player, I feel ashamed that I forgot about the Plasma rifle! I traded all my Tau for loads of Eldars that I then traded with my son to get back my Sisters of Battle..

For Anti-termie work, and really, anti-space marine:
Take Fusion blaster & plasma rifle backed with suitable stuff.. shield gen, drones, BS enchancing stuff and the upgrade that allowed you two fire both weapons in the same turn. Massed firepower FTW!!!
Oh, and remember GW made it personal, not you!