home

Author Topic: Skaven Overview  (Read 10517 times)

Offline Atchman

• The Old Ones
  • Members
Skaven Overview
« on: October 23, 2003, 10:04:04 PM »
Tired of getting whipped by Skaven?  Tired of trying to navigate the "maze" of their rulebook?  Which units and characters are really threats and which ones are distractions? Read this exellent overview of the Skaven army by Steve "Queek" Houghton here:  http://warhammer-empire.com/war_skavenoverview.htm
"Do not gloat when your enemy falls; when he stumbles, do no let your heart rejoice"

Offline queek

• The Old Ones
  • Members
Skaven Overview
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2003, 10:18:36 PM »
yAy!

*does dance of the happy rat*

Offline rufus sparkfire

• The Old Ones
  • Members
Skaven Overview
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2003, 11:08:45 PM »
Time to call the exterminator I think...

Good stuff queek. Nice to hear what's hot and what's not straight from the rat's mouth.
Hey, I could still beat up a woman!
If I wanted to.

Offline queek

• The Old Ones
  • Members
Skaven Overview
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2003, 01:27:06 AM »
thanks!

I enjoyed putting it together.

curious as to what other folks think of it, especially IH8Skaven.   :)

Offline Atchman

• The Old Ones
  • Members
Skaven Overview
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2003, 02:24:16 AM »
I haven't been able to locate him?  I've sent him a draft of "Beating the Rat" and haven't heard back from him.
"Do not gloat when your enemy falls; when he stumbles, do no let your heart rejoice"

Offline IronAdam

• Members
Skaven Overview
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2003, 08:34:18 AM »
OK now that i'm really worried, any tips for beating the little buggers.

Offline Atchman

• The Old Ones
  • Members
Skaven Overview
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2003, 01:15:14 PM »
IronAdam, I'm working on that, and I'm also working on your pictures.  Bugman has given me the task to get them in the galleries.  You are my learning project:)

Offline squig87

• Members
  • The Dude
Skaven Overview
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2003, 11:44:37 PM »
Atchman, did you get the draft of  the "beating the beast" article that I've been working on? What did you think?
Citizen Erased

Offline Atchman

• The Old Ones
  • Members
Skaven Overview
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2003, 12:02:10 AM »
Yes, I emailed you back.  What is lacking I think is my mailbox has a limit.  Email it to:  RAtchley@dxsinc.com

It is an unlimited mail box, I need the diagrams before I can post it.

Offline IronAdam

• Members
Skaven Overview
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2003, 12:21:17 PM »
Today i got smashed by skaven.
3 Warp lightnings
1 storm deamon
1 plague
then 2 ratling guns
5 jezzails
per turn

Next time i will take lots of heavans magic to try and kill the jezzails and stop the grey seer leaving the saftey of his clanrats.
And stay out of range of the skaven magic and ratling guns untill they are softened up a bit by my shooting.

Offline IH8Skaven

• Members
Skaven Overview
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2004, 07:46:45 PM »
At work, so just gave a quick scan.  I will really read this over the weekend.

Can Plaguemonks use the banner of burning hatred w/ their frenzy?  I can't remember.  Oh wait...  Queek wrote this-- of course they can!

Slave are truly the ultimate detachment stopper.  Especially when you consider the detachment probably cost more than the slave unit!  I actually find myself shooting the slaves to pieces so I can out-combat the clanrats w/ parent unit and my hopefully now freed up detachment.

I've never done the math, but I can only recall very few occasions where my swordsmen have lost to rats with spears.  I think the hw +shield version is much more of a pain-- and cheaper.

Offline IH8Skaven

• Members
Skaven Overview
« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2004, 02:15:22 AM »
Okay, I don't have a copy of Skaven book in front of me, but I faced my usual skaven foe.  Did I read something about the banner of burning hatred only working for units immune to psych if they are clan moulder??  If that is true, that has to be an absolute typo, and has to have been corrected somewhere.

As for the article-- very spot on Queek.  It actually inspired me to write a list to use the skaven against their very master as he tries to perfect his DE's for this weekend's tounament.  Unfortunately, all I did was rewake the sleeping rat inside of him and make him reconsider leaving the rats at home for the tournament!  Of course, the sound beating his skaven gave the poor DE's had nothing to do with it. :wink:

Offline queek

• The Old Ones
  • Members
Skaven Overview
« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2004, 03:53:44 PM »
thanks for the comments, IH8Skaven.   :D

the Banner specifies that the Hatred is even when otherwise Immune to Psychology because of frenzy.  Tailor-made for the multi-attack Plague Monks, and POd the Witch Elf players to no end.  Funny how the Witchies got that ability too recently. . . . .

Offline lord geshvandi

• Members
Skaven Overview
« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2004, 12:53:20 PM »
nice posting there batman!
i play skaven regularly, (my bro collects them), and as he'sa  pants general. i'll give him this list and then we both can have a much more enjoyable game, rather than the usual massacre!
If you were me, thn I'd be you and I'd use your body to get to the top,
YOU CAN'T STOP ME WHOEVER YOU ARE!!!

Offline lord dwarf

• Members
Skaven Overview
« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2004, 06:15:29 PM »
thxs dude
i want tomb kings

Offline BaronFredrik

• Members
Skaven Overview
« Reply #15 on: June 01, 2004, 07:22:54 PM »
Nice article, I can't however understand why you think Rat Ogres are USELESS.. I like them :o , either they're shot down (=my stormers ain't getting killed by shooting) or the reach the enemy lines, and then combine charge together with clanrats.. Clanrats is numbers, ogres kills.
I use them in 2 pack-units.
Baron Fredrik "The Raven" of Telchasendorf, Ostland. Commander of the 24th Ostlander legion.

Offline queek

• The Old Ones
  • Members
Skaven Overview
« Reply #16 on: June 01, 2004, 09:24:31 PM »
1 dead Packmaster = 100 points running away and never coming back.

do you know how many slaves you can get for 100 points??

Skaven don't win by wounds, they win by CR, and Rat Ogres are too fragile and too vulnerable to Psychology to be worth bringing.  Believe me, I've tried.

Offline EC.Sylvania

• Members
Skaven Overview
« Reply #17 on: June 02, 2004, 12:16:32 AM »
But they look so cool! :(

Offline Karl Schimmelfennig

• Members
  • Servant of the Slann
Skaven Overview
« Reply #18 on: June 02, 2004, 03:32:35 AM »
That is part of the problem. A Clan Moulder based army is a wonderfully fluffy thing, with some fantastic opportunities for conversion.

But at the end of the day it lacks the raw punch of the Skyre army of Doom. Hopefully GW will take the focus of Skyre when they revise the Skaven.
Famous Quotes from History:

"To beat the French."

The Iron Duke summarises his battle plan at Waterloo.

Offline queek

• The Old Ones
  • Members
Skaven Overview
« Reply #19 on: June 02, 2004, 04:20:57 PM »
Quote from: EC.Sylvania
But they look so cool! :(

yes they do, especially the old models.  Not fond of the newer ones.

Offline Atchman

• The Old Ones
  • Members
Skaven Overview
« Reply #20 on: June 03, 2004, 11:28:02 AM »
Does that still hold true of a horde Skaven army, no goodies, but supported by the Rat Ogres?

• Members
  • Servant of the Slann
Skaven Overview
« Reply #21 on: June 03, 2004, 12:23:19 PM »
I'd much rather face multiple units of Rat Ogres than multiple ratling guns or warpfire throwers.

As you said, take out the Packmasters and it's automatic stupidity. Watch his 100 point unit waddle around the battlefield and pick it off at your leisure.

"To beat the French."

Offline Atchman

• The Old Ones
  • Members
Skaven Overview
« Reply #22 on: June 04, 2004, 02:36:45 AM »
Still, they just look so freaking cool!  I know they are just easy VP, but heck the looks might just make up for it.

• Members
  • Servant of the Slann
Skaven Overview
« Reply #23 on: June 04, 2004, 05:00:21 AM »
Well, the Engineer has a cool model, but no-one takes his bearded ass to the battlefield.  :)

I think Cold Ones look awesome. But I've found that they are so hideously vulnerable to shooting that it severely limits the situations in which I can take them.

In a casual game, I'd love to see Rat Ogres. But the fact remains they are just too vulnerable to be of much use in a serious game.

"To beat the French."

Offline Clarkarias

• Members
  • Halton Hills, Ontario
Skaven Overview
« Reply #24 on: June 04, 2004, 01:53:22 PM »
I agree...Rat Ogres aren't very good for the points.  But it balances it out considering that Ratling Guns are WAY too good for their points.
Actually, forget Karl-Franz. I want rules for Thyrus Gorman on a dragon. - Rufus Sparkfire