home

Author Topic: Tactical Decision Game 1.2 (Emp Turn 2 vs Ogrebus)  (Read 18174 times)

Offline Holy Hand Grenade

• Members
  • Never leave the Province without it...
Tactical Decision Game 1.2 (Emp Turn 2 vs Ogrebus)
« on: August 26, 2012, 08:52:55 PM »
Tactical Decision Game 1.2:  Empire Turn 2 versus the Ogrebus

***Note-  read the following threads to follow along with the Tactical Decision Game 1 storyline. 
     --Tactical Decision Game 1:  Empire versus the Ogrebus
     --Tactical Decision Game 1.1:  Empire Turn 1

-------------------------------------

Tactical Decision Games are a fun way to think through tough situations that Empire Generals face.  In this TDG, we are working through different tactical situations presented to us during a 2500 point battle versus an Ogre player named “Bruiser” who uses an “Ogrebus” as the foundation of his army.  Right now we are in Turn 2.  Even if you haven’t participated up to this point, don’t hesitate to join in and post!

-------------------------------------

Bruiser’s Turn 2:

Bruiser is not too happy with the turn of events so far.  Losing his magic levels early and having to suffer through our long and tense magic phase has him in a sour mood.  Ignoring his impulse to be charge-happy, he has a few tricks of his own for us this turn. 

No surprise, his Ogrebus charges our ICK.  Otherwise, no charges.

The Sabretusk moves out of the way of the ‘Fangs into a blocking position and, after two nifty wheels, the mobile heavy cavalry is threatening deep into our right flank (amazing what 16" inches will get you.  Bastards made all their Dangerous Terrain tests going over the wall too on their way there!)

Both ‘Blasters line up shots against our STank, and the Leadbelchers slide over to get long range blasts off at the center of our Halberd horde.

The Gnoblars…well, they are Gnoblars and they trudge forward.

Magic & Shooting:

No magic, so here comes the scrap metal and cannonballs! 

IB1 fires, hits, and wounds the tank.  For the second time this game, the STank makes a 6++ Ward Save because of the Luminark and suffers no harm!

IB 2 fires, hits, and wounds.  No Ward save this time.  Bruiser rolls for wounds….and gets a 5!  Damn, so much for getting lucky this turn.  Tank has 2 wounds left.

The Leadbelchers, originally salivating at the chance to blow up some humans, are ordered by Bruiser to finish off the tank.  They unload everything have on the large hunk of metal.
     --20 shots
          --an unbelievable 10 hits (need 5+)
               --an unbelievable 5 wounds (need 6s)
                    --forces the tank to roll 5 armour saves at -2 AS, therefore needing 3+…
                         --believably, the tank makes all the saves but 1! 

The Steam Tank has a single wound remaining!  Take that you Ogre bitches!   

The only Close Combat is the Ogrebus against the ICK.  Since he rolled a 10+ on the Charge distance, he gets 3x D3 Str 5 impact hits.  Needless to say, the ICK never knew what hit them and are destroyed.  The Ogrebus reforms back to the front.

Empire Turn 2:

Okay, things are heating up and getting interesting. 

Throwing caution to the wind for us, I fire up the crippled Steam Tank’s boiler for a try at 3 steam points.  Unavoidably, I get a mishap-  but the roll is probably the best we could hope for:  we can’t use the Steam Gun this turn.  Whoopty-doo.  So…we can still move it and shoot the cannon on it.

Tactical Decisions for 1.2:

Which leads me straight away to our next set of tactical decisions:  what to charge in Turn 2?

Notes:
     --It is hard to see on the graph, but the Greatswords are blocked by the Sabretusk so they can’t charge the Mournfangs.
     --Obviously, our Demis are going to charge Ironblaster 2.

For this vote, I want you to answer several different questions.  For each question, the majority wins.

First question:   should the tank charge the (1) Ogrebus, (2) Leadbelchers or move forward and shoot the (3) Ironblaster or (4) get a flank shot on the Mournfangs?  Remember, the STank has only 1 wound!

For reference:  we have 3 steam to blow and it is 7” to the Ogrebus and 12” to the Leadbelchers for a tank “charge.”

Second question:  should the Greatswords (1) charge the Sabretusk and Hold, (2) charge the Sabretusk and Overrun, (3) not charge and reform to face the Mournfangs?

Third question:  closely related to #2, should the GS Halb detachment (1) charge the Mournfangs, or (2) close within an inch to get into the ‘Fangs face, forcing them to charge the detachment next turn?

Fourth question:  should the Halberd horde (1) stay in place, (2) move forward with Wizard bunker so the Wizard can range the Ogrebus 18” for Dwellers, or (3) Reform into a bus, move forward slightly and at an angle so not to be in the Ogrebus LOS?  (The graph shows the charge range/LOS of the Ogrebus.  I removed the other units except for the Halb bus so you can visualize it.)  In (3), the Wizard will have 18” range on the bus for Dwellers.  Or (4), reform in to a Bus and move straight forward IN the Ogrebus' LOS (to be used as an anvil, with a follow-on GS hammer).

--------------------------------
Example Vote Post from "Super-Charge:"

No need this time to insert your name or how much plastic crack you are addicted to unless you just can’t resist…

Q1:  (Option 1) Charge the Ogrebus.  Because… insert why
Q2:  (Option 1) Charge and Hold.  Because…insert why
Q3: (Option 1) Charge for Sigmar!  I want to charge because…insert why
Q4: (Option 3) Since I can’t say “charge” on this one…  :icon_sad:  Reform into a bus.    insert why

Overall, I think these are the best moves because…blah, blah, blah.

--------------------------------
Now, I realize with the voting system I am using for TDG1.2, we might get some strange combos because some moves work best if supported by another move elsewhere.  I think it will make for an interesting dynamic-  and will make voting and arguing for votes all that much more important.  Let’s see how this pans out!

I will let this round of voting go for awhile and close it out sometime next weekend.

:::cheers:::
HHG
« Last Edit: August 26, 2012, 09:15:15 PM by Holy Hand Grenade »
If at first you don't succeed...you either don't have enough faith or you need to bring more explosives

HHG's TDG/TEG Dice Tracker

Offline Soapstar

• Members
Re: Tactical Decision Game 1.2 (Emp Turn 2 vs Ogrebus)
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2012, 09:43:17 PM »
1. Stank "charge" the ogre because we get some nice impact hits which is probably our best chance to put some wounds on the bus befor it hits are lines proper. We have a magic phase to hopefully put some wounds back on it and increase it's toughness. If it survives this turn it's safer in combat than being shot at if it doesn't survive the combat it was unlikely to survive a shooting phase anyway.

Before answering the next set of questions can the luminark charge the sabre or are the halberds messing up its ability to wheel? How far away are the gnoblars from our main halberd unit and are they in its forward arc?

• Members
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2012, 09:48:47 PM »
Before answering the next set of questions can the luminark charge the sabre or are the halberds messing up its ability to wheel? How far away are the gnoblars from our main halberd unit and are they in its forward arc?

The Luminark can charge the Sabretusk if we want it to.

The Gnobs are 12.5" away from the Halberd horde and are not in the horde's LOS.
If at first you don't succeed...you either don't have enough faith or you need to bring more explosives

Offline Soapstar

• Members
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2012, 09:51:44 PM »
Sorry should of asked this at the same time if the luminark charges the sabre is the bulwark in the way?

• Members
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2012, 09:55:23 PM »
Sorry should of asked this at the same time if the luminark charges the sabre is the bulwark in the way?

It will have to make a Dangerous Terrain test because of the wall. 

Also-  the charge will likely prohibit the tank from freely pivoting and will mess up your answer to question 1-  tank charges Ogrebus!   

Offline George

• Members
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2012, 09:56:38 PM »
You're doing a great job with this HHG

Quick question, if the STank charges the sabretusk is it flank or rear?
If its flank would we clip i such a way that an overrun would reach the iron blaster? Could we reasonably expect to overrun that far? (I don't play with a STank so not sure exactly what its capable of)
My Armies:
Empire
Ogres

• Members
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2012, 10:13:26 PM »
You're doing a great job with this HHG

Quick question, if the STank charges the sabretusk is it flank or rear?
If its flank would we clip i such a way that an overrun would reach the iron blaster? Could we reasonably expect to overrun that far? (I don't play with a STank so not sure exactly what its capable of)

The STank would get the pussycat in the rear.  (Use the first graph for exact placement of where things ended up.  The one with the arrows for the STank is a little different/not as accurate)

Charging the Kitty is not a good plan though- STanks don't get to Overrun.  It would just sit there with its own ass to the Ogrebus.  Not so good....   :icon_eek:
« Last Edit: August 26, 2012, 10:33:18 PM by Holy Hand Grenade »

Offline Soapstar

• Members
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2012, 10:33:26 PM »
Ok so with that info...

1. Stank charge bus for reasons already stated.

2. GS reform to face the mournfang. However I'd charge the archers into the kitty (I assume this doesn't mess up the stank charging the  bus!) if the kitty holds the archers have a better chance of killing it than by shooting (they got hatred in Cc after all) they can be buffed from the GS and they are stubborn so will probably hold if it all goes wronging CC this definately stops the sabre from messing with our movement next turn it will either be dead or tied up in combat. If the sabre flees then we charge the MF with the GS.

3. Halberd detach charges MF better to charge than be charged I think and should hopefully pin them in place for a GS charge next turn.

4. Move the halberds up in bus to stay out of LOS of the ogrebus. Stops them being charged for one more turn which is good, puts the wizard in range of more stuff which is good, keeps stank in range to pop on a few wounds and it means the archers can actualy shoot something I think which is nice their lack of involvement so far has been irritating me lol. Also the stank if it survives should give it hard cover from belcher fire. I'm also hoping it will enable the wizard to get into the tower at some point for lore master.

« Last Edit: August 26, 2012, 10:37:40 PM by Soapstar »

Offline grifter

• Members
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2012, 10:45:19 PM »
Hi guys! Long time reader, first time poster here. I actually registered to take part in this awesome thread.

I´m a newb to WHFB (though I play a lot of other strategy games), so take my input with a grain of salt.

First off, I´m not sure charging the IB with the DK´s is agiven. They could go for the Gnoblars (G2), then either get stuck in combat with them and finish them off on their turn or kill them immidiately and reform to face the Bus. If the Gnoblars manage to hold, the IB will be out of targets, otherwise it shouldn´t be able to hit more then one DG on it´s turn (and risk hitting the Bus as well!). The DG´s would now be in the Buses and Leadbelchers back, which would help us out later on.

Second question: can the Steamtank charge the Leadbelcher or is it to far away?

Edited because of failed stupidity roll.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2012, 10:49:06 PM by grifter »

• Members
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2012, 11:14:59 PM »
Hi guys! Long time reader, first time poster here. I actually registered to take part in this awesome thread.

Welcome to the Forum!  Glad the TDG pulled you out of the shadows to post!   :::cheers:::

First off, I´m not sure charging the IB with the DK´s is agiven.

Charging the Gnoblars is an option (we would have to roll Dangerous Terrain twice-  once for the woods and another for the Gnob traps). 

However, the IB's Grapeshot attack is at Str 10 and could do some significant damage to our Knights if he rolls high on the arty die for the number of Str 10 shots.  In my opinion, not worth the risk-  we should take the easy points and get rid of the pesky 'Blaster. 

Second question: can the Steamtank charge the Leadbelcher or is it to far away?

Yes, it can charge the Ironblaster.  I didn't list it as a possibility because it is a long 14" away.  Getting that on 3d6 is not likely.  Better to shoot at it.

Offline George

• Members
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2012, 11:32:49 PM »
i like Soap's idea to charge with the archers into the tusk so I'd be doing that first

Q1: I'd send the STank full speed at th leadbelchers...no stand and shoot for them as you can't react to the random movement. I feel the belchers are more threatening now the than the single cannon left after the DGK get the other.

Q2 & Q3: I would then be reforming and moving the GS such that the Mournfang have no choice but to charge. The halberd detatchment shuffles over to try and get a supporting charge in the flank.

Q4: The halberds and archers reform into a bus and get out of the ogres charge arc.

The luminarch moves up in front of the Gutstar such that a 10 inch flee will only just keep them on the board and faces the mournfang in order to send a bolt at them to further weaken them before their inevitable chage.

Our wizard lord may wish to move into the halberds in order to get better range on his spells (paticularly the tank, if we can get some wounds back we have half a chance of also staynig alive)....I don't think we want to charge the halberds in next turn.

My plan is still all about giving the gutstar nothing of value to beat up on during the game while picking up all the other units.
My Armies:
Empire
Ogres

Offline grifter

• Members
« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2012, 11:48:35 PM »
Thanks for the quick reply HHG! Forgot about Grapeshot...see, newb here! To risky then, I agree. :smile2:

Taking that into consideration, those are my votes:
1. (2) Charge the Leadbelchers. They´re to dangerous to let live, the tank will probably survive the combat and may even break them.

2. (3) Reform to face the Mournfangs. To bad their buff is gonna be useless this turn, but that shouldn´t tempt us to throw them into danger of getting charged by the Bus next turn.

3. (1) Charge the Mournfangs, get as few models as possible into combat. We´re probably not gonna win this without the parent unit´s support.

4. Move the wizard into the halberds. Reform the halberds into bus formation, staying in casting range of both the Bus and the Stank. Move the archers in front of the bus as another sacrificial unit.
If that isn´t an potion, I vote for (3). We don´t want to be charged by that bus!

(5. Charge the Luminark into the kitty. We don´t need the bonus DD anymore, so the IB killing it wouldn´t be the end of the world, and from there we could charge the IB next turn if the Luminark lives. Move the archers up to screen the flank against the Bus, obviously.)

Offline MrAbyssal

• Members
« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2012, 12:37:49 AM »
1. Charge the Steam tank in to the bus and hope for a good magic phase to heal it. If we can shrink it a bit then it will be more manageable for the Halberdiers. Unfortunately I think the 12" to the Leadbelchers may be too far for 3D6 movement so we may as well make the steam tank count while we can.

2. Reform the Greatswords to take the charge of the Mournfangs or be in a position to flank charge them next turn if the charge the Halberd detachment.

3. Move Halberd detachment back to permit counter charge if the Mournfang charge the Greatswords or present their flank to the Greatswords if the Halberdiers are charged.

4. Halberdier Horde reform to bus as far to the left side of the regiment as possible. Move archers up to right of Halberdiers.

The archer detachment could charge the Sabretusk but I feel we wouldn't be able to damage it, whereas if we fire all archers at it we should get that one wound we need. Naturally we charge the Ironblaster with the Demigryphs. Hopefully they will have enough time to come back up and take the Ogre bus in the rear.
There are three things each man judges another man by;

1. The size of his codpiece
2. The amount of skulls he carries
3. The length of his feather

Offline Empire - Ulric

• Members
« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2012, 01:01:52 AM »
This is totally what I would do......

Q1:  I would have the Steam Tank go full steam ahead at the Lead Belchers to hopefully lock them up in combat and dish out some pain. I think (it's hard to tell from the diagram) but if we line it up right we may even be able to get the tank out of LoS of the Ogre Bus so they can't charge it on their turn. 12 inches is a gamble...... but I'm a gambling man!

Q2:  With the Greatswords I would do none of the above. I would simply walk the Greatswords up until I'm right in the Sabertusks face and 1 inch away. I don't want to give him any chance of fleeing and luring our Greatswords out to where the Ogre Bus can get them.

Q3: For the Halberdier Detachment I would move it right up in front of the Mournfangs to force him to charge the detachment next turn. However I would wheel and angle the detachment in such a way that if he were to overrun the Mournfangs would be going AWAY from our Greatswords.

Q4: For the Halberdier Horde I would reform into a bus out of the line of sight of the Ogre Bus. The objective is to give the Bus nothing worthwhile to kill for as long as possible.

I'm also hoping that our archers will clean up the last wound on the Sabertusk.

Just a quick question about the ogre turn...... why didn't we flee the charge of the ogre bus with our knights? and try to strand them with a failed charge?

Also does the Luminak Currently have a flank shot on the Mournfangs? If not I'd attempt to move it slightly so that it does (while staying as far away from the bus as possible)

Offline zifnab0

• Members
« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2012, 01:06:57 AM »
1) Option 4, but with a slight twist.  I suspect we can use 1 or 2 dice (depending on the distance between the sTank and Mournfang) to move the sTank towards the Ogrebus while still getting a shot on the Mournfang.  (If I've only got 1 steam left for the cannon, I want to be at MOST 22" away from the Mournfang).

If we charge the Ogrebus this turn he's got a good chance of taking out the sTank and having a free charge next turn.  If we park the sTank so he has to charge it, either the Ogrebus sits still while he cannons our tank or he charges it and we keep it occupied.

2) Option 3.  We've got 2 units of archers that should be able to take out that Sabretusk.  Failing that the Engineer should be in range.

3) Option 2.  I want to cannon the Mournfang, so they need to stay out of combat.

4) Option 2.  The sTank should position itself to get a shot on the Mournfang and redirect the Ogrebus so it can't LOS the Halberd horde (or overrun into it).  Not sure if this is possible but it's what I would hope to accomplish.

Also: Demigryph knights charge the Ironblaster.  We can't forget about them, and we need to neutralize that ironblaster.

• Members
« Reply #15 on: August 27, 2012, 02:20:45 AM »
I think (it's hard to tell from the diagram) but if we line it up right we may even be able to get the tank out of LoS of the Ogre Bus so they can't charge it on their turn.
Yes, if the STank charges the Leadbelchers, it will be outside of the LOS of the Ogrebus.

Just a quick question about the ogre turn...... why didn't we flee the charge of the ogre bus with our knights? and try to strand them with a failed charge?

The Gutbus could have re-directed and hit the STank if the Knights bailed.  And they would have made it too...they got 10+ on the charge, netting 3x D3 Str 5 impact hits before they even swung a blow in CC.  As it stands right now, they are pinched by the tower due to the Knight's sacrifice.

Also does the Luminak Currently have a flank shot on the Mournfangs? If not I'd attempt to move it slightly so that it does (while staying as far away from the bus as possible)

It would have to move up a little bit to get the flank shot. 

1) Option 4, but with a slight twist.  I suspect we can use 1 or 2 dice (depending on the distance between the sTank and Mournfang) to move the sTank towards the Ogrebus while still getting a shot on the Mournfang.  (If I've only got 1 steam left for the cannon, I want to be at MOST 22" away from the Mournfang).
The STank can only fire directly ahead... so it can only shoot what it moves towards in the movement phase.    So we can't move towards the Ogrebus and then fire on the 'Fangs, unfortunately. 

Offline Krudenwald

• Members
  • "Even Unto Death"
« Reply #16 on: August 27, 2012, 05:00:24 AM »
Just a question.

Why shouldn't the Halberdier detachment charge the Mournfangs? Surely it's better to charge them than to have them hit us. And since they share the Stubborn of our GS, isn't there a reasonable chance of them holding on until the GS can flank and finish the MF?
No, I'm sending it to people I reckon I can trust. Or, at least, people I think I can murder should it become neccesary.

• Members
« Reply #17 on: August 27, 2012, 05:46:30 AM »
Just a question.

Why shouldn't the Halberdier detachment charge the Mournfangs? Surely it's better to charge them than to have them hit us. And since they share the Stubborn of our GS, isn't there a reasonable chance of them holding on until the GS can flank and finish the MF?

The only reason you would want to get charged instead of charging is angling such that an Overrun puts the 'Fangs out of whack and away from the GS...or to ensure that the GS get the charge on the Mournfangs and not the other way around.  Our current dilemma is that if we form up this way an Overrun may carry the 'Fangs off the board.

Normally, you ABSOLUTELY want to charge the Mournfangs and not get charged. They are ridiculous on the charge.  For all these reasons, I am currently in the "let's charge and not get charged camp."

---------------------------------------------

***A few things to keep in mind for those posting their thoughts:

--Most voters seem to want to keep all targets out of the Ogrebus' threat range this turn.  If the Halb horde is not in LOS, then the GS become the next best juicy target. 

--For those that want to reform the GS-  if the Ogrebus is not blocked at the beginning of its turn (no STank in the way either because it charged something else or is now dead), Bruiser needs between a 9 or 10+ on a charge to hit our Greatswords.  And depending on our reform, may hit us in the flank or rear...  Ugly.

--To make matter worse, if we charge the Sabretusk with the Archers and don't kill it, the Ogrebus will need even less to reach that combat and will then likely Overrun into our Greatswords.  Even uglier.

--For these reasons, I am going to add a (5) to Question 1-  the STank moves forward to jam the path of the Ogrebus, but instead of charging, shoots its cannon at it instead.

Empire 2nd Turn Charges:  The Current Vote

Question 1 (STank)     
     (1) Charge the Ogrebus                             (Soap, MrA)
     (2) Charge the Leadbelchers                      (George, Grifter, Empire-Ulric)
     (3) Move towards and shoot the ‘Blaster
     (4) Move towards and shoot the ‘Fangs
     (5) Move towards and shoot the Ogrebus

Question 2 (Greatswords)     
     (1) Charge the Sabretusk to Hold
     (2) Charge the Sabretusk to Overrun
     (3) Reform to face the Mournfangs              (Soap, George, Grifter, MrA)
     (4) Move forward, but not charge                (Empire-Ulric)     

Question 3 (GS Halb Det)     
     (1) Charge the Mournfangs                         (Soap, Grifter)
     (2) Move into blocking position                   (Empire-Ulric)
     (3) Move in conj with GS reform                  (George, MrA)

Question 4 (Halberd Horde)     
     (1) Stay put
     (2) Move forward
     (3) Reform, move forward out of Ogre LOS   (Soap, George, Grifter, MrA, Empire-Ulric)
     (4) Reform, move forward in Ogrebus LOS

***As always, if I got something wrong, let me know.

Offline MrAbyssal

• Members
« Reply #18 on: August 27, 2012, 06:04:03 AM »
Honestly, I'm really hoping for a boxcars magic phase. We're going to need all the buffs we can get this turn.
There are three things each man judges another man by;

1. The size of his codpiece
2. The amount of skulls he carries
3. The length of his feather

Offline George

• Members
« Reply #19 on: August 27, 2012, 06:09:30 AM »
Good pickup there with the archers HHG

I would change my plan for them to be the 2nd bait & flee target for the gutstar....so give him the luminarch as the only option followed by the archers screening the GS as the only viable redirect....and yes I'm aware this could be quite tricky to achieve. The luminarch needs to target the sabretusk in the magic phase....we can't let it toy with our movement again!
My Armies:
Empire
Ogres

Offline Fandir Nightshade

• Members
« Reply #20 on: August 27, 2012, 07:23:30 AM »
I need a bit of more information before I can make my decisions.

There are 3 mournfangs left right? What equipment do they have? Heavy armour, ironfist or only their light armour? Also the dragonhide banner what exactly does it? Re roll to wound I think and a breath weapon attack once per game, at what strength is it and at what Ini?

Stand and shoot of the Ironblaster what modifications does it have? Isn´t it slow to fire? (if it isn´t it is waaaaay undercosted).

Overally the situation is not too hot but I guess we can still make it.

Offline George

• Members
« Reply #21 on: August 27, 2012, 07:34:08 AM »
I need a bit of more information before I can make my decisions.

There are 3 mournfangs left right? What equipment do they have? Heavy armour, ironfist or only their light armour? Also the dragonhide banner what exactly does it? Re roll to wound I think and a breath weapon attack once per game, at what strength is it and at what Ini?

Stand and shoot of the Ironblaster what modifications does it have? Isn´t it slow to fire? (if it isn´t it is waaaaay undercosted).

Overally the situation is not too hot but I guess we can still make it.

3 Mournfang left....any ogre player will tell you this is how many they want to hit a unit with....the 4th is to absorb casualties, 2 Mournfang are not so effective on their own.
Dragonhide banner is reroll all 1's to hit wound and saves. Mournfang will have Ironfist and heavy armour....essentially they have a 2+ basic AS
Breath weapon is S3 and also causes always strikes last to the target if it hits....but its at I2.

Ironblaster initially didn't have slow to fire, but was errated very quickly.
My Armies:
Empire
Ogres

Offline Fandir Nightshade

• Members
« Reply #22 on: August 27, 2012, 07:43:43 AM »
So now it has slow to fire....no stand and shoot against the demigryphons then....chargeeeeee! (also if they are slow to fire...why can they move and shoot?)

Hmmm 2 + save makes it nearly impossible for the halberdier detachment to make a dent on them.

We strike first due to I3 (Mournfangs and Ogres at I 2) 5 hits re roll hatred 7,5 hits wound on 4+ around 4 wounds at 3+ save we might sneak in one wound.

Ogres won´t waste their breath weapon and deal 21 attacks at high strength 11 hits around 8 halberdiers dead. It doesn´t make a difference if we attack or receive the charge they most likely will smash them to bits and pieces without receiving too much damage. SO it might be better do divert them away hope for one or two surviving the charge and remaining stubborn....but most likely they won´t survive they also have stomp.

Offline zakalwe

• Members
« Reply #23 on: August 27, 2012, 09:32:09 AM »
Could the greatswords re direct onto the iron blaster if the sabretusk decided to flee? If so what is the range?

Also are the mournfangs in range of general/bsb?
Anyway my answers.

To question 1: Charge the ogre bus with 3 dice of Steam points. I think its a more reliable way of getting some damage done with the ST. As much as i like the flank shot on the mournfangs, or even a shot down the line of the gutstar, a missfire mitigates it all. Also hoping shield of thorns would go up on the ST to help thin out the ogre ranks some more.

To Question 2:  if there is a chance to re-direct into the Ironblaster i would charge the kitty, if it flees try and redirect, if it holds, kill and hope to panic mournfang.  Overunning would depend on the ST, if ST is still alive ( do its combat first) i would overrun.

To Question 3: Move up the halberds to force a charge my the fangs. I would like them out of the way for a while longer, could also hope to get a flank Bolt off from the luminark ( if it can move up)

To question 4: Option 4 for me, reform into a bus ready as an anvil ( i don't trust us to keep steadfast or stubborn should the ironguts charge as is)  I would move the archers out from behind the halberds just in case it all goes pete tong.

Offline zifnab0

• Members
« Reply #24 on: August 27, 2012, 11:22:48 AM »
The STank can only fire directly ahead... so it can only shoot what it moves towards in the movement phase.    So we can't move towards the Ogrebus and then fire on the 'Fangs, unfortunately.
Crap, you're right.  I thought you got a free pivot after moving compulsory moves.  Guess I was wrong.  Time for a new plan.

Q1: Option 1.
Q2: Option 1 (do the Halberd combat first so they remain within 3" of the GS.  Then do the GS combat and reform to face the MF).
Q3: Option 1.
Q4: Option 2.