home

Author Topic: Charging during the Hero Phase  (Read 2141 times)

Offline MrAbyssal

• Members
Charging during the Hero Phase
« on: April 05, 2018, 03:13:11 AM »
So there are a few abilities that allow a unit to charge during the Hero phase, but not immediately pile-in after (ie. they have to wait until the combat phase to actually fight, still). Is there any actual advantage at any time to doing this?

An example would be in the Dragonlord Host warscroll battalion.
There are three things each man judges another man by;

1. The size of his codpiece
2. The amount of skulls he carries
3. The length of his feather

Offline Oxycutor

• Members
Re: Charging during the Hero Phase
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2018, 09:09:09 AM »
Well, from reading the Dragonlord Host warscroll battalion, you could still fail the charge, but then you'd be able to have another go in the Charge phase. 

I guess then it depends whether the charging unit has abilities that kick in at the end of the charge, some units get a chance to inflict mortal wounds if they complete a charge, that could potentially kill off a small unit or weakened unit, or damage it enough that in the shooting phase it could be finished off, meaning that the unit could then make another charge in the charge phase.

Offline Gankom

• Members
  • The World Builder
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2018, 03:25:21 PM »
I seem to recall some units maybe having things that debuff units trying to charge in the charge phase. I can't remember what unit, but maybe it's a tactic to get around that?

Offline MrAbyssal

• Members
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2018, 12:01:22 AM »
Well, from reading the Dragonlord Host warscroll battalion, you could still fail the charge, but then you'd be able to have another go in the Charge phase.

That was about the only thought I had, but if you're within 12" then there's a good chance you can get to 3" in your move phase.

I guess then it depends whether the charging unit has abilities that kick in at the end of the charge, some units get a chance to inflict mortal wounds if they complete a charge, that could potentially kill off a small unit or weakened unit, or damage it enough that in the shooting phase it could be finished off, meaning that the unit could then make another charge in the charge phase.

That's true. I didn't think of that, although that may be because none of the units with abilities like that seem to be in those battalions. Would be great for Boar Chariots (and similar) and amazing for Maw Crushers, if there was a way to let those units do it.

I seem to recall some units maybe having things that debuff units trying to charge in the charge phase. I can't remember what unit, but maybe it's a tactic to get around that?

I guess it could also be that, if the wording says charge phase.

I do like the tactical depth that AoS seems to have. Now I just need to actually get a game in...

Offline Artobans Ghost

• Bar Brawlers
  • Members
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2018, 12:18:54 AM »
Quote mrabyssal: I do like the tactical depth that AoS seems to have. Now I just need to actually get a game in..

I agree although I’ve only played solitaire games so far. It’s bad enough trying to win that scenario without adding a real live player that thinks as well 😸 It’s surprising how many synergies there are to combine with the right warscrolls. I’ve made a hash of that so far but each game I learn a bit more.
I have promised myself the next stage in this will be getting a game in with the old warband by the end of this summer.
Mathi Alfblut Feb 4,2017 Simple, You gut the bastard with your sword, the viking way.
Questions?

GP Jan 4, 2020
Yes, even W:AoS.

Offline MrAbyssal

• Members
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2018, 01:12:50 AM »
I agree although I’ve only played solitaire games so far. It’s bad enough trying to win that scenario without adding a real live player that thinks as well 😸 It’s surprising how many synergies there are to combine with the right warscrolls. I’ve made a hash of that so far but each game I learn a bit more.
I have promised myself the next stage in this will be getting a game in with the old warband by the end of this summer.

I have people to play against, it's just I'm fussy and am still putting round based armies together. Didn't want to disrupt my square based WFB armies. Currently getting a 1200 vanguard Swifthawks army together for PUGs at the local GW.

Offline Artobans Ghost

• Bar Brawlers
  • Members
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2018, 02:48:20 AM »
Nice! I just finished and converted a Desciples of Sigmar army (about 2470 points) and am currently converting my ork army (2500 pts) and did a skaven/beastmen AoS army last fall. I totally get the fussy part. I’m pretty sure I’ll never go back to wfb so I’ll slowly convert the rest. I have 1870 swifthawk but still on square bases. That might be next or a 2500 empire with no Devoted.
If you get the chance, maybe some pics would be great.
Mathi Alfblut Feb 4,2017 Simple, You gut the bastard with your sword, the viking way.
Questions?

GP Jan 4, 2020
Yes, even W:AoS.