home

Author Topic: What updates does Empire need?  (Read 38731 times)

Offline Nicholas Bies

• Members
  • puzzling
Re: What updates does Empire need?
« Reply #50 on: April 29, 2009, 04:46:00 PM »
Here are some changes I think I'd like made to the Empire book (and maybe the game in general)

Griffon Banner +3CR, 60 points

Rank Bonus on Infantry up to 4 rather then 3 (like this change in the entire game- and it would make 25 the standard unit so 30 the more survivable one which increases GW sales...).

Drop huntsmen min size to 5 - do not count against min core choice

Engineer up to 25 pts magic items, +1 BS, makes 1 special artillery piece count as core

Allow Great Swords to take a 50 point magic banner (30 at least), if an elector count is in the unit they become Immune to Psychology as well as Stubborn.

And if we go down the tracks of the DE book (Inner Circle champs and GS champs allowed 1 magic item up to 25pts).

Halberds having the choice of +1 str, +1 rank attack, or handweapon (and shield if paid for)

spearmen drop 1 point, remain the same.

Just some wish list ideas never to be implemented.

The greatest form of control which can go on forever until it is exposed is a tyranny you can't see, touch and taste (unlike totalitarian Govts). When you sit in a prison cell but can't see the bars, because people don't rebel against not being free when they think they're are.

Offline Shadowlord

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #51 on: April 29, 2009, 05:00:38 PM »
Halberds rawks!
My hood is my castle...

Offline kk14

• Members
« Reply #52 on: April 29, 2009, 05:37:55 PM »
I knew it.  Page 3.  Here we are.

I honestly don't think that Empire need an overhaul, or even that much tweaking.  We all know that some aspects of the army don't compete as well, and all want fixes for the engineer, Halberds, and GotE.  But other than that, the army works just fine.

Moving anything to core would be overpowering.  Can you imagine if a cannon or unit of Greatswords were core?  The army would get cheezy very fast.  It's bad enough with flagellants, and people only accept one of them as Core because they die so easily.  Empire could field 5 Cannons!

State troops - meh.  They need no reworking (excepting the aforementioned Halberds).  Stick a character in the unit and it is usually okay until the character dies or something else hits it.

The one idea I have read that I really liked was one of Warlord's in which the general had an 'Elector Count' upgrade, where he got a runefang for 100 extra points, but could only take 50 pts of magic items.  18" Ld. radius, while nice, does not fit the fluff at all.  Empire does not have inspiring leaders more so than any other race (or in this case more audible), with the obvious exception of our special characters.
If you can't convince the voters to accept your view, and you take to the gun, you are by definition anti-American.

Veni, Vidi, domum meum redire volo.

Offline Keller

• Members
« Reply #53 on: April 29, 2009, 05:53:40 PM »
I'm largely happy with the Empire as it is now.  Some more options would be good, of course!

Scap all of these different core troop entries and replace with:

State Troops: May take shields, spears, Halberds, Crossbows, Handguns
Militia: May take AHW, Great weapons (or Halberds), Light Armor
Miltia skirmishers: May take Bows, pistols(or thrown weapons) and may upgrade to scouts

I'd like to see either more Knightly Orders w/ rules, or the customizable ones from WD (Legenday Orders?)

Engineers made a real hero (magic items, perhaps allow X warmachines as core) or as a machine upgrade as Dwarves.

Some useful banners.

Special slots expanded like HE has, or some things shifted from Special to core or Rare.  I always run out of Special and seldom use Rare.

Customizable Steam Tanks.  I miss my fighting-platforms.

Offline Captain Tineal

• Members
  • You will join me or die! Could you do any less?
« Reply #54 on: April 29, 2009, 06:01:52 PM »
I'd like to see the line in the book that states that Halberdiers are the most common troop type removed from the next edition.  This will fix the Halberd.

Add a line that says the Pike population has been overfished, and is no longer used anywhere in the Old World, due to conservation efforts.

I'd also like the Engineer removed.  They've had 2 editions to fix him... just pull the plug and let him die with dignity.

Oh, and I'd like the Helblaster nerfed too.  :::cheers:::
I don't know what a pisolires is but it sounds like a musical instrument you play with urine...

Offline MagicJuggler

• Members
« Reply #55 on: April 29, 2009, 06:05:30 PM »
I'm largely happy with the Empire as it is now.  Some more options would be good, of course!

Scap all of these different core troop entries and replace with:

State Troops: May take shields, spears, Halberds, Crossbows, Handguns
Militia: May take AHW, Great weapons (or Halberds), Light Armor
Miltia skirmishers: May take Bows, pistols(or thrown weapons) and may upgrade to scouts

I'd like to see either more Knightly Orders w/ rules, or the customizable ones from WD (Legenday Orders?)

Engineers made a real hero (magic items, perhaps allow X warmachines as core) or as a machine upgrade as Dwarves.

Some useful banners.

Special slots expanded like HE has, or some things shifted from Special to core or Rare.  I always run out of Special and seldom use Rare.

Customizable Steam Tanks.  I miss my fighting-platforms.

How about a mix of both for the Engineers? As in have the Engineer as an artillery upgrade, and the Master Engineer as a hero required to take an exotic piece of technology like the Ice Ray or Thunder Barrel or Terror Bell? I like the idea of pistol-wielding skirmishing scouts though, even if they may be a bit too deadly; use small teams of them for killing enemy Wizards. :P

Offline commandant

• Members
« Reply #56 on: April 29, 2009, 06:56:52 PM »
Scouts with pistols would be fun.

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Members
  • i'm a mercenary doom bringer
« Reply #57 on: April 29, 2009, 06:59:16 PM »
How about a mix of both for the Engineers? As in have the Engineer as an artillery upgrade, and the Master Engineer as a hero required to take an exotic piece of technology like the Ice Ray or Thunder Barrel or Terror Bell? I like the idea of pistol-wielding skirmishing scouts though, even if they may be a bit too deadly; use small teams of them for killing enemy Wizards. :P

How about an engineer that takes a couple of pieces of mundane equipment that allow him to cast a spell? Maybe one that's like a smaller version of that Ice Ray. That way, when included with the Ice Ray, Terror Bell and hordes of crappy infantry, and frenzied monks flagellants, Empire will have an army that's totally unlike any other army that I can think of.

Maybe we should get some attack dog handlers, too. Might help complete the transformation of the army. The could come in packs of 6 dogs per one handler.

:engel:

edit: Oh, and units of two-man Hochland Long Rifle teams. We need those in that army.

Offline MagicJuggler

• Members
« Reply #58 on: April 29, 2009, 07:47:01 PM »
I see what you did there...Skaven and Empire can be remarkably similar to one another though. :P

Offline MrDWhitey

• Members
« Reply #59 on: April 29, 2009, 07:48:46 PM »
Rats that walk like men? Bah!  :closed-eyes:
I thought he should act responsibly and just kill himself.

Offline Nicholas Bies

• Members
  • puzzling
« Reply #60 on: April 29, 2009, 07:50:27 PM »
what about adding Witch hunters as captains who can lead a unit of warhounds

mv6 ws4, str4 t4 10 points a hound, 1-10 per unit. Rare choice, 1 core if witch hunter used.
The greatest form of control which can go on forever until it is exposed is a tyranny you can't see, touch and taste (unlike totalitarian Govts). When you sit in a prison cell but can't see the bars, because people don't rebel against not being free when they think they're are.

Offline phillyt

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
  • Watching... always watching...
    • https://www.facebook.com/philip.estabrook.1
« Reply #61 on: April 29, 2009, 08:36:12 PM »
Has anyone mentioned adding pikes?

Phil
Where did she touch you Eight? Show us on the doll.

Offline Obi

• Members
  • Rest in peace Nate
« Reply #62 on: April 29, 2009, 08:50:08 PM »
No, I think they haven't. I think we should have pikes in the next ed. And better halberdiers.
Scouts with pistols would be fun.
Yes, please! That would be my favourite unit! My wants!
Hello Athiuen and welcome to the Back Table.

caveat lector
I killed a duck with a spear, can't read train timetables though
"To be is to do"-Socrates;
"To do is to be"-Sartre;
"Do Be Do Be Do"-Sinatra

Offline Merrick

• Members
  • I say!
    • http://www.facebook.com/WinHereWinThereWinWinEverywhere
« Reply #63 on: April 29, 2009, 08:52:49 PM »
How about a Bretonnian Pegasus?

Offline MrDWhitey

• Members
« Reply #64 on: April 29, 2009, 08:58:28 PM »
Merrick goes on the beating list.

Offline Obi

• Members
  • Rest in peace Nate
« Reply #65 on: April 29, 2009, 09:04:16 PM »
How about a Bretonnian Pegasus?
nonono, you don't get it. You're supposed to swap that out for the item in question, in this case pikes.
Hello Athiuen and welcome to the Back Table.

caveat lector
I killed a duck with a spear, can't read train timetables though
"To be is to do"-Socrates;
"To do is to be"-Sartre;
"Do Be Do Be Do"-Sinatra

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Members
  • i'm a mercenary doom bringer
« Reply #66 on: April 29, 2009, 09:09:52 PM »
Duuuuuude! Pikes would be totally sweet!

:engel:

Offline MrDWhitey

• Members
« Reply #67 on: April 29, 2009, 09:10:22 PM »
ZeroTwentyThree shall also go on the list.

Offline Ownkreig von Pwnage

• Members
  • Bears: Coming to a hobby shop near you
« Reply #68 on: April 29, 2009, 11:31:35 PM »
I have some awesome pike models, and they would be totaly awesome in the Empire. I can't believe I'm the first one to think of this  :engel:
You can never have enough threads crying about halberdiers. We have an epic ballad in Nordland called the Halberdiers' Lament. Luckily for you, I shall not sing it.

Offline Lord Etharion

• Members
  • RIP Rufas
« Reply #69 on: April 30, 2009, 01:34:52 AM »
Wait everyone, I came up with the ideal fix! What if we had state troops with pikes?
Quote from: Shadowlord
Moo-moo land here I come.
Quote from: rufus sparkfire
I only wish moo-moo land didn't have an internet connection.

Offline kk14

• Members
« Reply #70 on: April 30, 2009, 04:03:20 AM »
Omygoodness!
We could get rid of greatswords, and have pikemen instead!! :Ohmy:
If you can't convince the voters to accept your view, and you take to the gun, you are by definition anti-American.

Veni, Vidi, domum meum redire volo.

Offline Dannyfave

• Members
  • A.K.A Skabilly Takamaster.
« Reply #71 on: April 30, 2009, 04:04:17 AM »
Or give Greatswords pikes!
From feanor fire heart:

"In west virginia why couldnt they have sex ed and drivers ed on the same day?  Because its too much work for the donkey"

Offline Toro_Blanco

• Members
  • Nobody enjoys a good laugh more than I do.
« Reply #72 on: April 30, 2009, 04:13:48 AM »
I honestly can't believe nobody has mentioned pikes yet.
The first school of thought is that the ragged-assed Stirlanders, not having two coppers to rub together, nicked it when an elven envoy was passing through the area and had hopped off it to take a pee behind a tree

Offline Dannyfave

• Members
  • A.K.A Skabilly Takamaster.
« Reply #73 on: April 30, 2009, 04:36:27 AM »
Apart from the joking I really do belive that pikes would be a cool adition, if not just for having extra long spears because they look cooler.
From feanor fire heart:

"In west virginia why couldnt they have sex ed and drivers ed on the same day?  Because its too much work for the donkey"

Offline cisse

• Members
  • let the wookie win!
« Reply #74 on: April 30, 2009, 08:26:59 AM »
Merrick goes on the beating list.
Hey, wait. It's Merrick now?
cisse

No matter how fast you run, your ass will always be in front of me...