home

Author Topic: 1250pts escalation league advice  (Read 1728 times)

Offline Perforated

• Members
1250pts escalation league advice
« on: May 05, 2014, 09:05:48 AM »
Hi all,

My group is currently playing an escalation league and we've just reached 1250pts. One of the guys is dusting off his old WE since he just got a new book and I'm looking for some advice on how to restructure my army to face this new threat as well.

I'm looking at having a balanced list that can handle, O&G, Dwarfs, Deamons, VC, OK, DE and WE equally well. I have access to pretty much every model/unit you can think of so there is no reason to hold back :)
Stirland rabble for life!

Offline Forumite

• Members
Re: 1250pts escalation league advice
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2014, 11:29:26 AM »
From what I´ve heard, the new WE book has a lot of armour piercing and no-armour-saves attacks and units. Avoid units that rely on their 1+ saves to survive. Also just like before they bring their own forests where they are stubborn and much better at fighting and shooting, which negates big units of steadfast troops. They are however fragile, few and mostly S3, which makes T6 Stanks and all kinds of magic missiles powerfull, maybe even DGKs with T4.

Offline Fidelis von Sigmaringen

• Members
  • Attorney-at-RAW
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2014, 11:39:02 AM »
I am not sure, if there is a single list that can handle those armies equally well - they are just too diverse. Regarding Wood Elves, there is already this thread.
It would seem that WE are very potent, if they can tailor their forces, and having a diverse Empire list may make things difficult for them.
It is not enough to have no ideas of your own; you must also be incapable of expressing them.
Sex, lies and manuscripts: The History of the Empire as Depicted in the Art of the Time (10/07/16)

Offline Perforated

• Members
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2014, 12:11:12 PM »
More or less forgot about this thread. I managed to win the one match I've played against the WE player.

I took the following:

1 arch lector
1 lvl2 Lore of Light
1 Luminark

2x10 Archers
5 Pistoliers

50 Halberdiers with FC
1 Helstorm w engineer (mostly for shits and giggles).

It mostly amounted to me just rolling forward and smashing into him with 50 more or less unscathed Halberds. In his defence it was his first game with the new WE and he tried some gimmicks.

Stirland rabble for life!

Offline emcdunna

• Members
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2014, 09:43:30 PM »
demigryphs have toughness 3.. because they use rider's toughness, right?? unless theres an erratta correction somewhere...

• Members
  • Attorney-at-RAW
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2014, 10:28:28 PM »
BRB p. 83 (version 1.8) now reads: All the cavalry rules apply to monstrous cavalry, with two exceptions – monstrous cavalry always use the highest Toughness and Wounds characteristics the model has, rather than automatically using the rider's — indeed, this will normally mean that the model uses the mount's Wounds characteristic.”
It is not enough to have no ideas of your own; you must also be incapable of expressing them.
Sex, lies and manuscripts: The History of the Empire as Depicted in the Art of the Time (10/07/16)

Offline emcdunna

• Members
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2014, 10:31:42 PM »
okay..... *buys 6 demigryphs*... back to business!!!
jesus christ! 2+ armor, 6 s5 attacks , 3 wounds, AND T4? and for an obscene number of points... omg. wow. so.... why do we use anything but demigryphs? seriously holy cow!

• Members
  • Attorney-at-RAW
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2014, 10:43:08 PM »
+ 2 AS only if equipped with halberds - but, surely, no one in his right mind would do that?   :engel:
Note that they only get 4 Attacks in total (5 only for Preceptor) + 1 Stomp.

Offline emcdunna

• Members
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2014, 11:09:44 PM »
hey I use halberds! first off, they look way cooler than the lances. second, Come on 1+ isnt fair. :p especially since they get T4 now! like seriously?? god. anyway If i play comp then my halberds can count as lances, whatever.

I also kind of like how you get 5 attacks all at the same strength (5).

Offline mottdon

• Members
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2014, 01:04:30 PM »
Personally, I use the lances and shields, but I guess it depends on who you're up against.  Some heavily armored army, like WoC or Dwarfs, it might be more useful to use Halberdiers.  If you are facing Night Goblins or Tomb Kings, then there's not much point in the extra strength.  As a rule, if I don't know my opponent, then I will go with lances and shields as an extra precaution. 

Offline emcdunna

• Members
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2014, 02:34:07 PM »
I get that mathematically, with random opponents, yes lances are better.

I just like the look of the halberds :p And when its already such an amazing comp choice might as well add a pinch of fluff. They can always "count as" lances anyway.

and now that they are T4... oh god. seriously thats not even fair. If I every want to win every game i will bring a dozen of them.

Offline mottdon

• Members
« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2014, 06:03:15 PM »
People usually like to face Empire because they think that they can steamroll the little T3 humies.  If you show up with 12 Demis, you are not going to make very many friends. 

I say do it though.  Most people who play WoC have no problem bringing a DP with double Chimeras.  Play what you want.  If they can't beat it, that's their problem.   :::cheers:::

Offline emcdunna

• Members
« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2014, 06:04:54 PM »
or you can fix the army list like i did.

go read my post on the elector's forum.

BOOM. I think a very good number of empire players would be happy with the changes I suggest and would admit that they arent excessive or unprecedented.