home

Author Topic: Other Manufacturers  (Read 667825 times)

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Members
  • i'm a mercenary doom bringer
Re: Other Manufacturers
« Reply #725 on: September 10, 2011, 11:52:46 PM »
Someone on Warseer pointed out that there are some good pics of the Perry plastic Wars of the Roses cavalry 3-ups.

(I love the AWI British on that page as well...)

Offline Fandir Nightshade

• Members
« Reply #726 on: September 11, 2011, 10:13:49 AM »
German armour? I didn´t know they had Panzers back then.

Offline Mathi Alfblut

• Members
  • intres cum fixura sine misericordia
« Reply #727 on: September 11, 2011, 03:20:42 PM »
You had Florian Geyer and his Schwartze haufe among other things.
Oh, and remember GW made it personal, not you!

Offline Aldaris

• Members
« Reply #728 on: September 12, 2011, 07:48:10 AM »
You had Florian Geyer and his Schwartze haufe among other things.

Great, thank you. Now the corresponding song is playing in my head (it's an awesome one, but still)...

Spieß voran, drauf und dran,
setzt auf's Klosterdach den roten Hahn!

::heretic::

Offline Timbor

• Members
« Reply #729 on: September 13, 2011, 03:12:08 AM »
wargames foundry currently has all of their ancients on sale.

Anyone in canada or us interested in splitting any units?  I might be interested in some gladiators or other stuff....
If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason. - J.H.

Paint Log: link  Blog: My Life in Millimetres

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
  • Happy Spring! : )
« Reply #730 on: September 13, 2011, 01:35:15 PM »
Is there a link to that sale?

They had a summer sale for their Vikings, Saxons, Orcs, and small Persian sprues thats over, but couldn't find anything about their ancients.
"Not all who wander are lost ... " Tolkien

"... my old suggestion is forget it, take two aspirins and go paint" steveb

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

"Until death it is all life." Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra

Offline Midaski

• Sunny Sussex, England
  • Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #731 on: September 13, 2011, 05:55:12 PM »
Foundry not Factory .................

20% off Foundry means they are still about 40% too dear ...................  :icon_rolleyes:
Quote from: Gneisenau
Metal to Finecast - It is mostly a swap of medium. 

You mean they will be using Ouija boards instead of Tarot cards for their business plans from now on?

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
  • Happy Spring! : )
« Reply #732 on: September 13, 2011, 06:51:53 PM »
Ah ... lol ... I'll try to see that differently next time.

- - - - -

The Perrys got a new website up and running.

Here's a link to their page regarding all the plastic items on their worktable ...

http://www.perry-miniatures.com/pages.php?page=plastics-workbench

Really looking forward to some of those. :icon_cool:
"Not all who wander are lost ... " Tolkien

"... my old suggestion is forget it, take two aspirins and go paint" steveb

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

"Until death it is all life." Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra

Offline towishimp

• Members
« Reply #733 on: September 13, 2011, 06:59:19 PM »
Foundry not Factory .................

20% off Foundry means they are still about 40% too dear ...................  :icon_rolleyes:

Yeah, I concur.  They look great, and I can think of Warhammer uses for a lot of those ancients, but dang...$20 for six guys just doesn't cut it.  That's about as expensive as buying GW new.
One cannot be deeply responsive to the world without being saddened very often. -- Erich Fromm

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Members
« Reply #734 on: September 13, 2011, 08:37:57 PM »

There are plenty of other options in the historical market.

http://zerotwentythree.blogspot.com/p/28mm-figure-manufacturers.html

My current favorites are Crusader, A&A and Artizan. But there's plenty of choice.

Just spotted this link at Warseer:  http://www.facebook.com/pages/Fireforge-Games/271339052885426?sk=photos

Looks like another new plastic figure company.

Offline Justnorth

• Members
« Reply #735 on: September 14, 2011, 05:19:18 AM »
A new website for the battleforge.
I never had any idea he had been sculpting so many different models.
Can't wait to see the new Halfling Ogres when they come out...
This is a very interesting option...
http://www.thebattleforge.co.uk/product/Halfling_Sailing_Boat_HAF9801
GW can pucker their skanky lips and suck my arse.

He's French. Since when do his plans have to be feasible?

Offline Mathi Alfblut

• Members
  • intres cum fixura sine misericordia
« Reply #736 on: September 14, 2011, 02:22:10 PM »
I just have to remake my knights into a Warhammer version of Der Schwartze Haufe, fittingly refluffed into a unit of Morrish followers.

Got to link the song aswell.  :biggriin:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G9sVcRxopJU&feature=related
Oh, and remember GW made it personal, not you!

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Members
« Reply #737 on: September 14, 2011, 02:42:59 PM »

They look a little too rustic for me.

And something that's bugged me about a lot of halfling figures... the guts hanging out. Now, knowing that they are wide of girth, wouldn't their own tailors/families make clothes that fit a halfling's physique instead of consistently making their clothes too small to cover their gut? It's like they make clothes for some other race, or maybe they get them second hand from human children.

And then there are the teeth...

Offline Gneisenau

• Members
  • Alleged Ungulate
« Reply #738 on: September 14, 2011, 04:01:08 PM »
I just have to remake my knights into a Warhammer version of Der Schwartze Haufe, fittingly refluffed into a unit of Morrish followers.

Well, it would suit your sympathy for the common farmer. :-)

Offline Justnorth

• Members
« Reply #739 on: September 15, 2011, 06:22:51 AM »

They look a little too rustic for me.

And something that's bugged me about a lot of halfling figures... the guts hanging out. Now, knowing that they are wide of girth, wouldn't their own tailors/families make clothes that fit a halfling's physique instead of consistently making their clothes too small to cover their gut? It's like they make clothes for some other race, or maybe they get them second hand from human children.

And then there are the teeth...

Halflings are supposed to be rustic  - Lol
They are not the merchant bankers of the warhammer world  :icon_mrgreen:
They till fields, grind flour at the windmill or watermill etc. they make beer, they are not fashion icons wearing patent leather shoes and if their clothes are ill fitting after a long summer and a good harvest then they don't mind at all.
No dental care packages in Hobbiton I'm afraid.  :icon_mrgreen:
These are not Mini-me, they are halflings   :::cheers:::  I'm afraid you have a very weird view of what a halfling is meant to be. :icon_confused:

Small towns, rural environments, horses and carts an innate love of food, beer and pipeweed, running about in barefeet and loving it.
Stealing mushrooms and carrots from a distant neighbours garden, fishing inthe rivers, streams or lakes and ponds, keeping dogs and tending sheep and chickens.
A little too rustic Hahahahahahahahah  Are you having a laugh.  :icon_mrgreen:
I love the realism and above all the 'character' and the humour captured in the battleforge models, thats why I've shelled out a chunk of money for these guys because when you own them you will see the lovely character first hand, in your hand, and when you paint them the humour comes forth.
I really fell in love with  the standard bearer who has the flag wrapped around his face from a sudden gust of wind and you can see the features of his face disproportionately represented coming through the fabric.
http://www.thebattleforge.co.uk/product/Halfling_Standardbearer_0105_HAF0105
That is what halflings are all about. That is an inspired idea backed up by a quality sculpt.
I'm particularly glad he has done some mounted halflings as well because those in the LotR range from G-dub are just too small in scale to fit in with the regular warhammer sized 28mm models.
Halflings are too rustic, thats gonna be my sig, that is  a classic oxymoron.  :::cheers:::
« Last Edit: September 15, 2011, 06:28:26 AM by Justnorth »

Offline Blauer Nebel

• Members
  • Cool Hwip
« Reply #740 on: September 15, 2011, 06:32:49 AM »
I dunno'. I think after all this time many might have left and moved into cities and become middleman minorities, much like the Jews were.

Offline Uryens de Crux

• Members
« Reply #741 on: September 15, 2011, 08:44:09 AM »
I think there are two kinds of halflings

The kind described as living in the West Country, drinking zoider and generally being mildly comic if not quite idyllic

And those that live and work in the cities. Who are vicious organised crime gangs, controlling all the city vices etc. There's room for both. Just the first type would raise their own militia, the second would be black marketeers or simply serve in the regular city militia in some form.
We go to gain a little patch of ground that hath in it no profit but the name.
The Free Company of Solland

The Barony of Wusterburg

Offline Davey

• Members
« Reply #742 on: September 15, 2011, 09:20:24 AM »
I think there are two kinds of halflings

The kind described as living in the West Country, drinking zoider and generally being mildly comic if not quite idyllic

And those that live and work in the cities. Who are vicious organised crime gangs, controlling all the city vices etc. There's room for both. Just the first type would raise their own militia, the second would be black marketeers or simply serve in the regular city militia in some form.

Never thought about Halflings in that way, but it actually makes a lot of sense - although the majority of models do seem to fit with the first (country bumpkin) kind. I've got some of the Battleforge mounted Halflings and they're really great... planning on getting started on painting them this weekend.

Offline Timbor

• Members
« Reply #743 on: September 15, 2011, 11:10:34 AM »
All this talk of battleforge... makes me want to get some!  Perhaps this month I will finally shell out some cash for a few.
If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason. - J.H.

Offline Justnorth

• Members
« Reply #744 on: September 15, 2011, 05:15:41 PM »
I've got some of the Battleforge mounted Halflings and they're really great... planning on getting started on painting them this weekend.
Rumour is the Battleforge is going to be producing mounted Halfling Knights and armoured halflings on foot are coming soon-ish, as well as a shield wall and Halfling 'state troopers' who will have less of the 'country bumpkin' about them and more of the clean lines you would expect from a semi-professional military unit.
I'm looking forward to seeing what he will come up with.
The Halfling ogres are not far away at all.
Word is 2 are sculpted already and two more will be coming soon, possibly a standard bearer. :engel:

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Members
« Reply #745 on: September 15, 2011, 07:36:54 PM »
OK, even if I acknowledged a rustic archetype (and I think there are different types of halflings described in fantasy literature) I still don't see why they would design all their clothes to specifically not fit properly.

Offline Davey

• Members
« Reply #746 on: September 15, 2011, 07:54:50 PM »
I've got some of the Battleforge mounted Halflings and they're really great... planning on getting started on painting them this weekend.
Rumour is the Battleforge is going to be producing mounted Halfling Knights and armoured halflings on foot are coming soon-ish, as well as a shield wall and Halfling 'state troopers' who will have less of the 'country bumpkin' about them and more of the clean lines you would expect from a semi-professional military unit.
I'm looking forward to seeing what he will come up with.
The Halfling ogres are not far away at all.
Word is 2 are sculpted already and two more will be coming soon, possibly a standard bearer. :engel:

Cheers for the heads-up - something else to add to the 'must buy' list  :::cheers:::

Offline Justnorth

• Members
« Reply #747 on: September 15, 2011, 08:42:31 PM »
I'm a big fan of halflings (I have around 1500 metals from different manufacturers)
I do like th character found in the much older style of pre-slotta halflings and early slotta halflings.
Part of the inherent charm of the Battleforge halflings is that they have tapped into that 'feel' and it definitely floats my boat.
I love the whacky, the slightly dishevelled, the startled and the humourous 'feel' of the old halflings from the 1980's and the Battleforge is coming out with that 'feel' in adundance in his sculpts.
It may not be for everyone but I love it.
There is definitely something quirky about halflings and also an element of silliness that I love to indulge.
When that comes out in the sculpt it becomes a must have miniature for my enduring halfling obsession.

I've had a good look through the likes of Mirliton (way too small for 28mm as it is these days) and Black hat, (nice sculpts, not a lot of variety though and they look  more like small slim human children than a separate race with their own characteristics. Not 'characterful' enough for my taste in halflings, they are too 'samey' for my palate),
Lots of other manufacurers dabble in making a few halflings, (GW still has the small select few halfling options sculpted by the mercurial Perry's over 20 years ago) and some of them are very nice, but none of them are dedicated to covering the entire race and filling in all the blanks so you can use an entire army as a proxy for instance.
I'm aware its highly likely the new war machine crews will be released before the end of October, probably sooner.
There are Halfling rangers in the pipeline, which is I suppose what Lumpin Croops fighting Co*ks were as a regiment of renown. The Battleforge are going to produce their own ranger unit in time to come.
It's a very fitting unit type for halflings, what with their innate ability with woodcraft and moving very stealthily through woodlands.
As a I said earlier the Battleforge is going to be producing armoured mounted knights, armoured foot knights, a special shield wall and the rangers.
It's highly likely that there will be a unit of state trooper halflings as well which will contrast nicely with the more peasant like Militia.
More whacky war machines are in the offing and the halfling range is apparently going to be open ended.
So what ever the Battleforge likes the idea of , they will sculpt it as an addition to the warhammer / halfling milieu.
For instance, it's pretty ourt of the ordinary but apparently two Halfling ogres are finished greens and there are two more to come.
Wouldn't it be great to field something like a glorious 4th edition style Empire army with all the elements taken up as hobbits.
I would also love to see a special Halfling Oliphant in time to come...  :icon_mrgreen:
With the consistent outpourings from the Battleforge there is every chance it could become a reality.
Onwards and upwards.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2011, 08:56:48 PM by Justnorth »

Offline Padre

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #748 on: September 15, 2011, 09:34:51 PM »
Onwards and upwards.

Onwards, I'll give you. But upwards - not really a halfling's forte.
Photobucket has now re-destroyed my pictures, so the first half of my collected works thread is no longer working again. To see my website version of the campaign thread, with fully functioning pictures, please go to https://bigsmallworlds.com/

Offline Timbor

• Members
« Reply #749 on: September 15, 2011, 09:57:37 PM »
Is there a link to where these battleforge rumours are discussed?  Anyone have WIP pics?

I like their questing fighters of reknown or whatever they are called.  Some of the sword militia are nice (especially buckethead) but I am not too fond of the spear halflings - some of the proportions seem a little wacky.