home

Author Topic: Other Manufacturers  (Read 679655 times)

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Members
  • i'm a mercenary doom bringer
Re: Other Manufacturers
« Reply #1600 on: January 18, 2013, 07:15:24 PM »
Those Fireforge figures look good!

The West Wind figures also seem good, though it's hard to tell from either photo. I've got a few West Wind figures (18th century stuff), and they are big compared to most 15/28mm figures. Sort of like the pic from zifnab0 indicates. Probably go better with GW than with Crusader, etc. Personally, I prefer the greater variety of poses & such in a unit like than than in the plastic marauders.

Offline Timbor

• Members
« Reply #1601 on: January 18, 2013, 07:18:29 PM »
I don't have any WestWind fantasy stuff, but I got some of their historical arthurians, and they are much chunkier than Crusader and most GB stuff.  Far bigger than Foundry.  I might assume their fantasy stuff would be of similar size?
If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason. - J.H.

Paint Log: link  Blog: My Life in Millimetres

Offline Finlay

• Members
  • C'mon Son
« Reply #1602 on: January 18, 2013, 07:39:45 PM »
West wind dwarfs!

Cheap and OK!
I don't care about the rules.

Pass the machete.

Offline Timbor

• Members
« Reply #1603 on: January 18, 2013, 09:27:34 PM »
Finlay, you would have liked this...

I got some of Northstar's Dark Ages lucky bags (among other things) in their New Year's sale and the package arrived today - 20 miniatures per bag, spares from castings in the dark ages ranges from Crusader and Artizan.  They were on sale for I think 10 quid for a bag of 20.  In each bag, I got about 10 two-handed axemen.  Looks like I have pretty much a unit of two-handed ulrican axemen sorted, eh?  :engel:
If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason. - J.H.

Offline Finlay

• Members
  • C'mon Son
« Reply #1604 on: January 19, 2013, 12:46:42 AM »
If you hadn't been so helpful....

Pass the machete.

Offline White Knight

• Members
« Reply #1605 on: January 19, 2013, 05:16:50 PM »
I don't have any WestWind fantasy stuff, but I got some of their historical arthurians, and they are much chunkier than Crusader and most GB stuff.  Far bigger than Foundry.  I might assume their fantasy stuff would be of similar size?

Actually their fantasy stuff is considerably bigger than their historical stuff.

Offline Timbor

• Members
« Reply #1606 on: January 20, 2013, 10:56:55 PM »
This just in from Foundry:

MACEDONIAN, PERSIAN AND ASSYRIAN RERELEASED PACKS

Over the last six months, we have been steadily rereleasing the many models that were discontinued over the previous six years.  There are only 800 or so packs left to go.  We will almost certainly have them all out this year. Let us know if you have preferences as to what we should cast up next.

Regardless of whether models have been formally rereleased, we are still very happy to hunt down the moulds of discontinued packs and cast them especially for you.  This may delay your order by a couple of days.  We haven't come up with a way of handling this through this website: so I'm afraid that you will have to contact us directly.  Ideally by phone.

This Month We Are Rereleasing 15, 6 and 6 Packs from Each of our Macedonian, Persian and Assyrian ranges respectively.

This means that all our Macedonians and Persians are now up on our website. We will put the 11 remaining packs of Assyrians up next time.

BUY TWO GET ONE FREE.
We notice that the reappearance of long discontinued models is no longer met with quite the same level of awed enthusiasm as might have been the case some months back.  So, to celebrate our first six months at the helm, and to spark things up a bit, we are offering a sort of Flash Deal.  If it goes down well we may repeat it next year!

Only until the end of January, for every two packs that you buy, from any combination of the rereleased Macedonian, Persian and Assyrian models shown below, you will receive a third free pack of your choice of any of those rereleased models. This is one third off.

List which extra packs you’d like in the comments box when you place your order.  Otherwise, we’ll make sure that we choose something appropriate for you.

Regrettably, you cannot combine the discount on these models with any other of our offers or discounts!  Normal postage rates apply.

So if you buy any 2 macedonian, persian, or assyrian packs, you get 1 of the rerelased packs for free.  Pretty good deal, too bad I don't collect any of those armies!  I checked with Foundry and they said free shipping over whatever value still applies (somewhere around $120).  So, if you collect macedonians, persians, or assyrians, here's your chance to get some for 30% off!

Good on Foundry.  I hope that they get enough support from interested hobbyists to be financially rewarded for all this re-releasing of their ranges.  Folks seem happy they are doing it, but I guess the numbers will speak for themselves in due time.  If they do this when they permanently re-release those renaissance orc packs... hoo-boy!

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
  • Happy Spring! : )
« Reply #1607 on: January 21, 2013, 05:49:06 AM »
Oooh!  Thanks for the heads up on this.

Just got done buying 137 Immortal Assyrians on sale, and then there was the Foundry Assyrian Kalapani that I found in a hobby store.  Not sure more will be bought at this point, but I'll certainly take a look.  We'll see if I can resist or not.
"Not all who wander are lost ... " Tolkien

"... my old suggestion is forget it, take two aspirins and go paint" steveb

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

"Until death it is all life." Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra

Offline Akbar

• Members
« Reply #1608 on: January 24, 2013, 11:48:55 PM »
Ebay sale from Foundry is on. Mostly napoleonics so far, but something good might show up.

Offline cjp

• Members
« Reply #1609 on: January 26, 2013, 03:32:13 AM »
Get your alternate kislevs here!

Hungarian horse archers from eBob. Going to be sold through someone else though

Offline Quickbeam

• Members
« Reply #1610 on: January 26, 2013, 03:36:07 AM »
I want a hat like theirs!
“An army of principles will penetrate where an army of soldiers cannot.”
― Thomas Paine

Offline Uryens de Crux

• Members
« Reply #1611 on: January 26, 2013, 07:30:26 PM »
Got a box of Wargames Factory Samurai Cavalry today. Pretty nice IMO.
We go to gain a little patch of ground that hath in it no profit but the name.
The Free Company of Solland

The Barony of Wusterburg

Offline sirolf

• Members
« Reply #1612 on: January 28, 2013, 12:57:11 AM »
More goodies from Ratnik:

More here: http://www.lead-adventure.de/index.php?topic=48703.30

Offline Quickbeam

• Members
« Reply #1613 on: January 28, 2013, 01:13:39 AM »
Does anyone know if these guys have an American distributor? I don't think so but I sure wish they did!
― Thomas Paine

Offline Timbor

• Members
« Reply #1614 on: January 28, 2013, 01:34:54 AM »
I don't think they do either, but shipping is quite reasonable from them... shipping outside of europe is 4,90 EUR for up to 500 g, 8,90 EUR for up to 2000 g, and anything heavier than 2000g is 35,00 EUR.

So... about $12USD for up to 2kg (read ~5lbs) of miniatures.  I ordered the entire Bruegelburg collection sometime last year, and was not over 2kg to ship it.  Bonus for me, I got charged no customs or taxes on the way into Canada either.  Must have been that the border people couldn't read all the German on the package or something.

What exactly is holding you back from ordering directly from Germany?

Offline Quickbeam

• Members
« Reply #1615 on: January 28, 2013, 01:59:37 AM »
Shipping & tax but I think it may be fine. I've been surprised before by looking at an invoice and it costing quite a bit more than I anticipated.
― Thomas Paine

Offline Timbor

• Members
« Reply #1616 on: January 28, 2013, 02:41:22 AM »
I am not sure what it is like for you in the USA, but in Canada I am lucky enough that not all packages sent through the postal system get stopped for taxes (as opposed to couriers who do their own customs and charge taxes and brokerage on absolutely everything).  Ones that are over $100 might get stopped 1/10 or something like that, and I just pay sales tax plus maybe $5 for a handling fee.  Most smaller packages never get stopped.  If I were to buy those items in Canada from a retailer, I would pay tax on everything I buy (13% where I live). 

You can be pretty sure that for small companies like LAF, you won't likely find retailers selling it for 20% off like the warstore or something, so the only benefit of finding a US distributor is to support that US specific company.  For myself, I would rather see more of the funds go to the actual producers of such fantastic miniatures, unless I had a personal connection to a distributor this side of the pond.

Also, keep in mind that the prices on their store include 19% sales tax for Germany.  If you are from a foreign country, you are not charged those taxes.  I am pretty sure it adjusts automatically in your cart once you specify your country.  I was pleasantly surprised when I discovered that.

I had a great experience ordering from LAF, and plan to do more orders once they release some of those amazing sculpts they have been taunting us with over the past few months!

Of course, YMMV, as my experiences have been with the customs fees and policies of a different (if not slightly similar) country to yours.

Offline Quickbeam

• Members
« Reply #1617 on: January 28, 2013, 02:57:27 AM »
My eye developed a severe twitch when you said 19% sales tax then I read the rest  :laugh:
― Thomas Paine

Offline patsy02

• Members
  • Moderator in charge of Gender Equality (Honorary)
« Reply #1618 on: February 03, 2013, 03:23:39 AM »
http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.481357498550246.114214.271339052885426&type=1
I don't understand why companies don't do this sort of photoshoot with all their models, nothing is more off-putting than not being able to see what it is you're buying.
I agree with the inhumane treatment of animals.

Offline Mathi Alfblut

• Members
  • intres cum fixura sine misericordia
« Reply #1619 on: February 04, 2013, 10:36:20 AM »
Seriously, those medieval minis looks awesome!
Oh, and remember GW made it personal, not you!

Offline Finlay

• Members
  • C'mon Son
« Reply #1620 on: February 04, 2013, 12:33:21 PM »
When I bought my last batch of historical stuff, I found a website where only some of the miniatures actually had photos- the rest had drawings.

Pass the machete.

Offline Midaski

• Sunny Sussex, England
  • Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #1621 on: February 04, 2013, 01:20:30 PM »
When I bought my last batch of historical stuff, I found a website where only some of the miniatures actually had photos- the rest had drawings.

True there are still some manufacturers yet to take advantage of the art of photography and the internet.
A lot of them still do most of their business from shows, though it is changing.

It is quite interesting to go to a decent show as you can actually see and handle minis up close. Sometimes even good pictures can give a false impression.
Scale is one concern - is it 25mm, or 28mm, or large 28mm?
Are the sculpts chunky - are the weapons heroic or realistic or somewhere inbetween?

Indeed a great paint job can suggest detail that isn't there.

Salute has to be the biggest and best at London Excel in April - most people of note are there.
SELWG in October at Crystal Palace in London is also quite good, though probably around one quarter to one third of the size.

There are deals to be had, but I usually make a list of stuff I want to look at - to see if it is any good and worth buying.
Quite often you can buy it better online.

Quote from: Gneisenau
Metal to Finecast - It is mostly a swap of medium. 

You mean they will be using Ouija boards instead of Tarot cards for their business plans from now on?

Offline Finlay

• Members
  • C'mon Son
« Reply #1622 on: February 04, 2013, 01:47:06 PM »
I just buy so little historical stuff it wouldn't be worth it.

If you cant be arsed to buy a light box from ebay like chumley and fr1day have, and take pictures of your minis, I can't be arsed to buy from you.

Pass the machete.

Offline Midaski

• Sunny Sussex, England
  • Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #1623 on: February 04, 2013, 02:24:12 PM »

Well the shows aren't all historical you know ......................

Quote from: Gneisenau
Metal to Finecast - It is mostly a swap of medium. 

You mean they will be using Ouija boards instead of Tarot cards for their business plans from now on?

Offline Darknight

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
  • Dipped in Magic, Clothed in Science
« Reply #1624 on: February 05, 2013, 12:36:55 AM »
http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.481357498550246.114214.271339052885426&type=1
I don't understand why companies don't do this sort of photoshoot with all their models, nothing is more off-putting than not being able to see what it is you're buying.

Unless the model is really bad, and then actually seeing what you are buying might be more off-putting . . .
Completed Projects | History of Ophelia VII

Quote from: PhillyT
Everyone finds their balance between satisfaction and obsession.