home

Author Topic: Other Manufacturers  (Read 679452 times)

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
  • Happy Spring! : )
Re: Other Manufacturers
« Reply #1900 on: June 08, 2013, 04:55:15 PM »
There seems to be some sort of Warmachine surge where I live and a lot of players are jumping on it. The odd thing though, it is the 40K players mostly after 6th ed. was released. Not that I care, it will have to be more than clowns and tin cans to lure me to that game (the idea and mechanics, bar the idiotic guess range, seems OKish though).
Seems to be a similar trend around my way.  Not sure I get it yet, and it doesn't draw me.
"Not all who wander are lost ... " Tolkien

"... my old suggestion is forget it, take two aspirins and go paint" steveb

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

"Until death it is all life." Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra

Offline zifnab0

• Members
« Reply #1901 on: June 08, 2013, 05:54:26 PM »
Seems to be a similar trend around my way.  Not sure I get it yet, and it doesn't draw me.

I suspect a lot of the reason is the proliferation of fliers in 6th ed.  The game is significantly different now.

For the cost of updating your 40k army you can get most of a warmachine army.

Offline Timbor

• Members
« Reply #1902 on: June 09, 2013, 02:33:18 AM »
Warmachine is huge in my area.  I tried one game and it was pretty fun.  I will try and make an army, but will use mostly alternate figures and convert the robots to match a bit.  I will make a mercenary army, and use lead adventure halberdiers and handgunners instead of the lame PP ones.  Some of the WM/H models are nice, but some are just absolutely horrible, bland, or stupid-looking.  They are basically as expensive or more expensive than GW, you just need far less for a game.  Most of the models are not worth the price.  That's always been my main opposition to playing warmachine.
If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason. - J.H.

Paint Log: link  Blog: My Life in Millimetres

Offline Shadowlord

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #1903 on: June 09, 2013, 05:51:37 AM »
One has to give credit to the company though, making models out of resin that they charge a buss load for and people buying them.

Having all the stats with the models ensures that you can release whatever you want and obviously charge players for it.
My hood is my castle...

Offline Timbor

• Members
« Reply #1904 on: June 10, 2013, 02:29:00 AM »
They do seem to have a good business model, and seem to have loyal support from the fans.  From the one game I played, and from reading the books, it can be a fun game, just quite different from warhammer.  Luckily for my wallet, I am still underwhelmed by the esthetics of many of their figures (though some are still really nice).
If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason. - J.H.

Paint Log: link  Blog: My Life in Millimetres

Offline oak_prince

• Members
« Reply #1905 on: June 10, 2013, 04:16:45 AM »
I like the figures but detest the game. There's no real sense of narrative. It's all about the combos and shanking your opponent's caster on turn 3. Not fun to me at all. EG, my buddy was running a demo for me and used an earthquake spell to knock over my warjacks and then alpha-struck my warcaster with his charger's cannon. It was turn 2 or 3 and there was literally nothing I could have done to prevent it.

The company is pretty cool though. They provide prize support, had open playtesting while developing the current edition, chat with players on the forums, and don't have the utter contempt for their customers that GW does...
"Laugh, and the world laughs with you; Weep, and you weep alone".

Offline Fandir Nightshade

• Members
« Reply #1906 on: June 10, 2013, 05:35:11 AM »
Well it is a lot more about placement than other games I know...and yes I dislike the "kill the caster....win the day" things going on either....also you should know all spells and all buffs of all units everytime you play to avoid those situations and to know where you canīt move....or you are dead meat.

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
  • Happy Spring! : )
« Reply #1907 on: June 10, 2013, 11:17:36 AM »
Don't find it entertaining to watch, so doubt I'd enjoy playing it.
"Not all who wander are lost ... " Tolkien

"... my old suggestion is forget it, take two aspirins and go paint" steveb

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

"Until death it is all life." Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra

Offline zifnab0

• Members
« Reply #1908 on: June 10, 2013, 11:23:28 AM »
I like the figures but detest the game. There's no real sense of narrative. It's all about the combos and shanking your opponent's caster on turn 3. Not fun to me at all. EG, my buddy was running a demo for me and used an earthquake spell to knock over my warjacks and then alpha-struck my warcaster with his charger's cannon. It was turn 2 or 3 and there was literally nothing I could have done to prevent it.

The most frustrating thing about WarMachine is the one-turn-kill combos that your opponents can set up.  But your warcaster has the same opportunity to kill his warcaster in one turn.  The game can become all about defending against these combos and setting up your own.

I prefer to play the defensive game and don't try to get caster kills unless my opponent makes a big mistake.  Do more damage to them they they do to me and soon the caster is left defenseless.

Offline oak_prince

• Members
« Reply #1909 on: June 10, 2013, 11:12:12 PM »
I tend to play defensively/reactively myself. I'd rather win after a hard-fought slugfest than by a desperate assassination run or because my opponent left too big a gap between his units. It also doesn't help that I'm awful at guestimating ranges.

I love the imagery/models though.
"Laugh, and the world laughs with you; Weep, and you weep alone".

• Members
« Reply #1910 on: June 11, 2013, 05:54:08 AM »

Pro Gloria Greens.....

I bought a bunch of the Halberdiers and am very...very happy with them as soon as I get my basecoat and new tools I will get to work to make a unit of Halberdiers for the next years Eurobash.

Also if I would play 40k....and would play orks I would definately get this guy in my boss mob

maxmini badass biker
« Last Edit: June 11, 2013, 06:43:13 AM by Fandir Nightshade »

Offline Commander Bernhardt

• Bar Brawlers
  • Members
  • Geweldig!
« Reply #1911 on: June 11, 2013, 12:12:33 PM »

Pro Gloria Greens.....

I bought a bunch of the Halberdiers and am very...very happy with them as soon as I get my basecoat and new tools I will get to work to make a unit of Halberdiers for the next years Eurobash.

Holy Mother  :ph34r:

How does pro gloria scale to GW?
President Merkin Muffley: Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room.

• Members
« Reply #1912 on: June 11, 2013, 12:15:45 PM »
Tiny bit smaller i will upload comparison pics later the day.

Teaser I found in the www

left is pro gloria guy middle is a miniature done by white knight (guy on this forum awesomesauce person) and right is an old GW handgunner

« Last Edit: June 11, 2013, 07:52:54 PM by Fandir Nightshade »

Offline White Knight

• Members
« Reply #1913 on: June 12, 2013, 12:19:29 PM »
left is pro gloria guy middle is a miniature done by white knight (guy on this forum awesomesauce person) and right is an old GW handgunner

Just a small correction, the guy in the middle is a Lead Adventure Miniature, not one of mine. :engel:

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Members
  • i'm a mercenary doom bringer
« Reply #1914 on: June 13, 2013, 12:20:40 AM »

The most frustrating thing about WarMachine is the one-turn-kill combos that your opponents can set up.  But your warcaster has the same opportunity to kill his warcaster in one turn.  The game can become all about defending against these combos and setting up your own.

I prefer to play the defensive game and don't try to get caster kills unless my opponent makes a big mistake.  Do more damage to them they they do to me and soon the caster is left defenseless.

I started the game because I loved the idea of giant robot things tossing each other around and ripping off limbs. Then I started playing and learned that it was more like a card game -- killer combos, timing, and list-building were most of the game. At the time (don't know if it's changed, I haven't bought any of the 2nd edition stuff nor played in years) it had also morphed into a game where most of the big meanies were irrelevant and people were playing infantry heavy armies anyway. Totally lost interest, sold most of it. All I have left is my Cryx starter force that I may get rid of someday too, not even sure why I still have it.

I think their figures are hit & miss. Some really great stuff, others... not to my taste. (So, kind of like GW lately.)

Offline DariusZero

• Members
  • I'm a non native speaker from Mars and I bite.
« Reply #1915 on: June 13, 2013, 06:26:15 AM »
I think the PP pirate range from the mercenaries fraction are fantastic. I plan to get some for my future free company of seadogs.

« Last Edit: June 13, 2013, 08:25:24 AM by DariusZero »
One of the big wigs... once told them "If a household doesn't have an income of $70,000, we don't consider them a GW target customer."
MyEmpireBlog: http://warhammer-empire.com/theforum/index.php?topic=33477.0

• Members
« Reply #1916 on: June 13, 2013, 08:02:25 AM »
Amazing unit filler for Chaos Marauders

Offline Finlay

• Members
  • C'mon Son
« Reply #1917 on: June 13, 2013, 09:07:38 AM »
Isn’t Mierce run by that dodgy dude who ripped off a load of people (took money, did not send product) then declared the previous company bankrupt, then set up a new company but did not fulfil any previous orders? Basically stealing money and using it to set up new company?
I don't care about the rules.

Pass the machete.

Offline Midaski

• Sunny Sussex, England
  • Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #1918 on: June 13, 2013, 09:08:30 AM »
So you're promoting the guy who ran Maelstrom .................... into the ground.   :closed-eyes:

Finlay beat me to it.
Quote from: Gneisenau
Metal to Finecast - It is mostly a swap of medium. 

You mean they will be using Ouija boards instead of Tarot cards for their business plans from now on?

Offline Finlay

• Members
  • C'mon Son
« Reply #1919 on: June 13, 2013, 09:11:58 AM »
Buying from Mierce is immoral.

Pass the machete.

• Members
« Reply #1920 on: June 13, 2013, 09:15:25 AM »
Didnīt know that....so thanks for the heads up and....boooooooo. Him.

Offline Finlay

• Members
  • C'mon Son
« Reply #1921 on: June 13, 2013, 09:55:04 AM »
speaking of which, total war gamer Still never sent me my He book and magic cards so I'd probably avoid ordering from them too!
« Last Edit: June 13, 2013, 10:00:45 AM by Finlay »

Pass the machete.

• Members
« Reply #1922 on: June 13, 2013, 09:56:05 AM »
Have you contacted them?

Offline Finlay

• Members
  • C'mon Son
« Reply #1923 on: June 13, 2013, 10:00:28 AM »
Several times. Now I will be asking for a refund. 30% discount is nice, but not if I don't get my stuff

Pass the machete.

Offline rufus sparkfire

• The Old Ones
  • Members
« Reply #1924 on: June 13, 2013, 10:04:09 AM »
Definitely get a refund. It's been weeks, hasn't it?
Hey, I could still beat up a woman!
If I wanted to.