home

Author Topic: Other Manufacturers  (Read 679583 times)

Offline Finlay

• Members
  • C'mon Son
Re: Other Manufacturers
« Reply #2775 on: August 25, 2015, 09:27:57 AM »
On what basis?
that's cold hands, surely.
I don't care about the rules.

Pass the machete.

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
  • Happy Spring! : )
« Reply #2776 on: August 25, 2015, 12:51:35 PM »
But he stole that idea from Tolkien!
:icon_lol:  One one of these days you're going to catch me with coffee in my mouth while I'm reading one of your posts. :icon_wink: :icon_lol:
"Not all who wander are lost ... " Tolkien

"... my old suggestion is forget it, take two aspirins and go paint" steveb

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

"Until death it is all life." Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
  • Happy Spring! : )
« Reply #2777 on: August 25, 2015, 01:02:29 PM »
If GW were to die before they finish AoS I don't think I'd be all that sad...
I would be sad if they "died" before they realized the error of their ways and went back to live up to their potential.
Warhammer Fantasy Battle really did (does) have lots of potential. So much of it unrealised, but always possible.
Since this is the "Other Maufacturers" thread, I'm going to reply to this in a different thread ...  :icon_cool:
"Not all who wander are lost ... " Tolkien

"... my old suggestion is forget it, take two aspirins and go paint" steveb

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

"Until death it is all life." Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra

Offline rufus sparkfire

• The Old Ones
  • Members
« Reply #2778 on: August 25, 2015, 02:39:17 PM »
I like this guy from Otherworld miniatures:

Hey, I could still beat up a woman!
If I wanted to.

Offline Padre

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #2779 on: August 25, 2015, 02:53:06 PM »
That must be one of those really big Argos catalogues. He's pointing at what he wants, but tbh, I think he's got enough stuff as it is. 
Photobucket has now re-destroyed my pictures, so the first half of my collected works thread is no longer working again. To see my website version of the campaign thread, with fully functioning pictures, please go to https://bigsmallworlds.com/

Offline Darknight

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
  • Dipped in Magic, Clothed in Science
« Reply #2780 on: August 25, 2015, 03:04:07 PM »
Is Argos still a thing?
Completed Projects | History of Ophelia VII

Quote from: PhillyT
Everyone finds their balance between satisfaction and obsession.

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Members
  • i'm a mercenary doom bringer
« Reply #2781 on: August 25, 2015, 09:08:22 PM »

I actually bought this figure today on one of my very rare trips to the FLGS. (I desperately needed a bottle of frequently used paint.) Now that I'm home and have it out of the package, I've got mixed feelings about it.

The sculpt is very nice, and he's pretty big. But he comes in 7 pieces, many of which are too small to pin, have only a small area to glue, and I imagine will break off easily if actually used for gaming. I get why some of the pieces are separate, but not others. I've been in the hobby a long time, and painted a lot of figures. My experience with sculpting, molding and casting is admittedly limited, but I really think this could have been done in just 3 or 4 pieces, with much better attachment joints. I was really looking forward to doing this figure next, but now that the pieces are on my desk, I'm not sure I've got the enthusiasm to figure out how to put the thing together in a manner that will hopefully resist breaking.

If/when I can work up the motivation to work on this, I think I will remove the sword (half of which is one of the separate pieces anyway) and replace it with a spear. Seems like a more appropriate weapon for a horned huntsman archetype.

Offline Finlay

• Members
  • C'mon Son
« Reply #2782 on: August 25, 2015, 09:49:14 PM »
I was gonna buy that, thanks for telling me its in 7 pieces.

#fuckno
I don't care about the rules.

Pass the machete.

Offline Syphon

• Members
« Reply #2783 on: August 26, 2015, 11:38:55 AM »
That must be one of those really big Argos catalogues. He's pointing at what he wants, but tbh, I think he's got enough stuff as it is.

You mean, as Bill Bailey put it, the Laminated Book of Tears?
Now go! Ride towards the sun atop these noble steeds
You're our spandex heroes, now fullfil your destinies
And so we turned and rode beyond the castle walls
with shiny codpiece armour that doth cradle our chivalrous balls

Offline Ursa Doom

• Members
  • From northern Sweden
« Reply #2784 on: September 10, 2015, 08:34:46 PM »
I have heard that Warlord has decided that the Pro Gloria plastics are too expensive and that they will only produce a cut down version fewer bodies, fewer heads etc. There were originally ten bodies and thirty heads. A damn shame.

Oh, that's quite a shame. I was really looking forward to them.

Offline The Red Graf

• Members
  • Slava Ukraini, Alba gu brąth!
« Reply #2785 on: September 10, 2015, 09:28:36 PM »
I have heard that Warlord has decided that the Pro Gloria plastics are too expensive and that they will only produce a cut down version fewer bodies, fewer heads etc. There were originally ten bodies and thirty heads. A damn shame.

So was I. They would have been useful for Frostgrave as well as Warhammer. I hope they will change their minds, but I suspect that AOS has made their release even less likely. I asked about them on the Warlord forums and the silence was deafening. Still, perhaps if we all headed over and started demanding answers they might decide there was a market.
ultima ratio regum

Offline Ursa Doom

• Members
  • From northern Sweden
« Reply #2786 on: September 10, 2015, 09:36:58 PM »
Yeah, I think I will drop by there tomorrow and at least ask for some kind of status update. Still, if they do produce a plastic kit it could be easily kitbashed with a lot of other plastic kits and I wouldn't mind that. I'm mostly annoyed by the lack of information about anything since it kinda put my plans on hold.

At this point I might just end up buying a lot of metal landsknecht from Wargames Foundry instead because I'm getting the itch to paint.

Offline red shift

• Members
« Reply #2787 on: September 10, 2015, 09:55:28 PM »
(Checks wife is looking other way) I would take five grand out of premium bonds and invest them in the moulds rather than see the project die so will be annoyed if warlord can the project rather than give it  good go on kickstarter

Offline The Red Graf

• Members
« Reply #2788 on: September 10, 2015, 10:02:33 PM »
Yeah, I think I will drop by there tomorrow and at least ask for some kind of status update. Still, if they do produce a plastic kit it could be easily kitbashed with a lot of other plastic kits and I wouldn't mind that. I'm mostly annoyed by the lack of information about anything since it kinda put my plans on hold.

At this point I might just end up buying a lot of metal landsknecht from Wargames Foundry instead because I'm getting the itch to paint.

Kit bashing was a big part of my plans to.

I posted on the Pro Gloria guys facebook page. He was supposedly getting a consulting job with Warlord as part of the buyout. If he responds I will post here.

I will head over to Warlord and post as well. If you get there first I will just post on your thread.

(Checks wife is looking other way) I would take five grand out of premium bonds and invest them in the moulds rather than see the project die so will be annoyed if warlord can the project rather than give it  good go on kickstarter

Yeah, there may not have been enough of us to make the project happen, but I think those of us that were on board wanted this project to succeed pretty badly.
ultima ratio regum

Offline Ursa Doom

• Members
  • From northern Sweden
« Reply #2789 on: September 10, 2015, 10:19:54 PM »
I mostly want the plastic kits because I want to use historical minis such as the Perry knights and I have grow fond of the more realistic look. Even though the Empire models are mostly nice, the heroic scale clashes quite badly when put next to proper 28mm scale.

The GW prices is also a big reason.

I also have to wait for my account to be activated so you might as well create a thread and I will show up to post in it.

Offline The Red Graf

• Members
« Reply #2790 on: September 10, 2015, 10:26:14 PM »
Will do, I'm the Red Graf there as well.
ultima ratio regum

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Members
« Reply #2791 on: September 10, 2015, 11:12:39 PM »

I would really love to see the full kit released, but I'm not going to hold my breath. Luckily I've got plenty to keep me busy painting while I wait for them to be released.

I would also really love to see a set of plastic gendarmes as well. Was there ever any discussion of that possibility, either under Pro Gloria or Warlord?

Offline The Red Graf

• Members
« Reply #2792 on: September 10, 2015, 11:21:15 PM »

I would really love to see the full kit released, but I'm not going to hold my breath. Luckily I've got plenty to keep me busy painting while I wait for them to be released.

I would also really love to see a set of plastic gendarmes as well. Was there ever any discussion of that possibility, either under Pro Gloria or Warlord?

Pro Gloria was working on Gendarmes, I don't think they were plastic. No idea what happened to them. I have kicked around the idea of commisioning some plain gothic barded warhorses of the same scale as the latest Empire War Alter horses, but I was going to have them made in resin. Still not sure how many I could sell.
ultima ratio regum

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Members
« Reply #2793 on: September 11, 2015, 12:02:45 AM »
Buy a commercial license on pre-sculpted horses, then add armour?

http://www.ebobminiatures.com/products/horses.htm

I like the design of the Foundry gendarmes, but I wish the horses were a little larger.

Offline The Red Graf

• Members
« Reply #2794 on: September 11, 2015, 12:09:38 AM »
Buy a commercial license on pre-sculpted horses, then add armour?

http://www.ebobminiatures.com/products/horses.htm

I like the design of the Foundry gendarmes, but I wish the horses were a little larger.

If I do it I am going to do it from the ground up. Five new sculpts from a sculptor I really like. I have talked to Michael Anderson about doing the sculpts and he is willing, but backed up until some time next year.

The Foundry guys were nice but small. I mixed two in with my old metal pistoliers. On GW horses you couldn't tell the difference, but I would hate to see them on the new outrider horses. They would look like hobbit knights.
ultima ratio regum

Offline Ursa Doom

• Members
  • From northern Sweden
« Reply #2795 on: September 11, 2015, 12:11:02 AM »
So what are their scale like compared to the Perry plastic knights?

Offline The Red Graf

• Members
« Reply #2796 on: September 11, 2015, 12:43:32 AM »

You mean the Foundry guys? Like this.

ultima ratio regum

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Members
« Reply #2797 on: September 11, 2015, 05:52:31 AM »
I'll have to get a few of these for future warrior priests of Manann.

https://www.crocodilegames.com/store/itemDetail.cfm?prodID=528&catID=36

Offline Ursa Doom

• Members
  • From northern Sweden
« Reply #2798 on: September 11, 2015, 09:02:22 AM »

You mean the Foundry guys? Like this.

Yeah, I think those are the ones. Seems like a good match in scale.

Also, I made my post over at the Warlord Games forum. Maybe someone over there will read the thread?
« Last Edit: September 11, 2015, 03:07:48 PM by Ursa Doom »

Offline Westfalia

• Members
« Reply #2799 on: September 13, 2015, 02:22:05 PM »
I have serious 28mm horse masters and I'd be happy to pass them on to you for a minimal fee or possibly reselling rights of what you're planning to do.