home

Author Topic: Pandemonium Multi-PLog (update: out)  (Read 296491 times)

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
  • Happy Spring! : )
Re: Pandemonium Multi-PLog (Big April)
« Reply #925 on: April 22, 2017, 03:07:24 PM »
@GP - chess and then war games- same here. Avalon Hill Bliztkrieg with the pink and blue chits and AH submarine. Believe it or not, I just got rid of them last year except for the submarine board which I keep for Pirates. SPI games by the bucketload and of course a subscription. Learned more about military history in that period than anywhere else. You can still get 3 different versions of strategy and tactics still.
So as not to clutter up 023's thread here with more such discussion, I started this thread over here ...

http://warhammer-empire.com/theforum/index.php/topic,52098.0.html
"Not all who wander are lost ... " Tolkien

"... my old suggestion is forget it, take two aspirins and go paint" steveb

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

"Until death it is all life." Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Members
  • i'm a mercenary doom bringer
« Reply #926 on: April 26, 2017, 04:29:00 AM »
Still working on the last two giants. No way I will get to the Otherworld giant (still in a bag) but I'm still hoping to finish the Warploque giant, and the freshly started Ral Partha frost giant. Shown here, WIP, for ridiculous scale differences. Made a lot of progress on Frosty. Added some more subtle washes to the big guy.

While waiting for paint/washes to dry on those two, I (very) quickly painted up two test figures from the Disciples of the Red Dead Redemption, based on the same palette I used on the Undeadish. The idea being that they have similarly been enticed to/enthralled by the forces of undeath. But these are secretive urban cultists rather than full tribes converted wholesale.

I'm still considering giving them normal, if somewhat pale, human flesh instead of the pale grey flesh of the Undeadish. Another option is maybe adding some trim to the edges of the robes -- though I can always add that later.

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Members
« Reply #927 on: April 29, 2017, 04:37:35 AM »

I think this is the last giant I'm going to get done by the end of April -- the Tom Meier/Ral Partha fire giant, which I thought made a nice frost giant...

I'm still working on the (not quite "oldhammer" but it has that same sort of charm to me) Warploque giant. Going to continue painting him past April, probably a little at a time. Almost done with the washes on the flesh...

Rambling about these and more on my blog.... http://www.zerotwentythree.com/2017/04/one-more-giant-down-one-to-go-and-beyond.html

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Members
« Reply #928 on: May 02, 2017, 02:18:48 AM »

Here's what I managed to get painted for Big April '17:

And a showing off progress shot of my painted giant collection so far....

Meat-giants...

(I didn't paint the big Black Scorpion giant on the left.)

Skeletal giants...

And for the sake of completeness, my rat giant...

Offline Doc J

• Members
  • The Prince of Brooklyn Park
« Reply #929 on: May 02, 2017, 03:01:53 AM »
Thats an impressive collection of giants, real BFG stuff  :::cheers:::
In the words of the late great Nicki Minaj - Ya done son

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Members
« Reply #930 on: May 03, 2017, 03:22:22 AM »

BFG is on my Netflix list, but I still haven't watched it. I should remedy that.

Offline Artobans Ghost

• Bar Brawlers
  • Members
« Reply #931 on: May 03, 2017, 05:35:47 AM »
BFG was a really fun movie and now that I think about it, docj is right.  Just make sure the kids are with you as well as they will love it.
Mathi Alfblut Feb 4,2017 Simple, You gut the bastard with your sword, the viking way.
Questions?

GP Jan 4, 2020
Yes, even W:AoS.

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Members
Re: Pandemonium Multi-PLog (Cultists)
« Reply #932 on: May 07, 2017, 09:52:54 PM »
I quickly finished painting and based some of the undeadish cultists. They're mostly old Citadel Disciples of the Red Dead Redemption troopers, plus an old (chaos?) wizard, and one of the new "oldhammer" figures (this one from Ramshackle Games - bearing an "old hammer") I got at the last Oldhammer USA day. I thought the latter two would fit well with the unit, and I'm not disappointed!

I'm still in the process of painting the four command figures from the Disiples unit.

I also got to play my first games of any sort... http://www.zerotwentythree.com/2017/05/game-day-disciples-wip.html

Offline Artobans Ghost

• Bar Brawlers
  • Members
« Reply #933 on: May 07, 2017, 10:37:52 PM »
These guys are great! That hammer dude is a bit ominous 😺
Mathi Alfblut Feb 4,2017 Simple, You gut the bastard with your sword, the viking way.
Questions?

GP Jan 4, 2020
Yes, even W:AoS.

Offline Doc J

• Members
« Reply #934 on: May 08, 2017, 01:57:31 AM »
They're all a bit ominous

Offline Von Kurst

• Members
« Reply #935 on: May 08, 2017, 07:20:44 PM »
Woot!  I've been waiting to see your take on these  :::cheers::: :::cheers:::
“Why is the rum always gone?” -Captain Jack Sparrow
"It is, it is a glorious thing To be a Pirate King."
 -Gilbert, Sir W(illiam) S(chwenck)

Offline Zak

• Members
  • Mad Viking
    • Mad Viking
« Reply #936 on: May 08, 2017, 09:58:56 PM »
oh wow never heard of these guys  :::cheers::: :::cheers::: :::cheers:::
Yes I'm dyslexic so what

Offline Gankom

• Members
  • The World Builder
« Reply #937 on: May 08, 2017, 11:58:13 PM »
They look pretty sweet!

Not to mention just how badass the army of giants is. The variety is great, although I have particular love for the two massive dudes in the back row.

Offline Victor

• Members
  • ✠ Sol Invictus ✠
« Reply #938 on: May 09, 2017, 10:58:32 AM »
The cultists are looking great - Well done! Looking forward to the completed unit.

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Members
« Reply #939 on: May 15, 2017, 05:19:39 AM »
Thanks everyone!

I added the last few troopers to the cultists, plus an old Citadel cleric (front rank, to the right) who also seemed to fit as another champion. I still have a second Disciples command set, but don't know how soon I will paint them. Maybe just the standard bearer and musician? Looks like I can use this as either a medium-large unit, or split them into two smaller ones.

oh wow never heard of these guys  :::cheers::: :::cheers::: :::cheers:::

They're one of the early Regiments of Renown. Sort of version 1.5 -- after they switched from solid bases to slotta bases, but before the real "second round" of revised & resculpted RoR. There's some background on Stuff of Legends: http://www.solegends.com/citrr/1rr16redemption/index.htm

At one point (around when they were released) I owned just about all of the late 80s RRD RoR. (http://www.solegends.com/citrr/) I only have a few now. I have to admit, I'm tempted to try collecting them again at some point.

Offline Shadespyre

• Members
« Reply #940 on: May 15, 2017, 11:12:50 PM »
Looking good, but that's not the cleric I was expecting...!  :icon_lol:

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Members
Re: Pandemonium Multi-PLog (Halfling Owlgryph)
« Reply #941 on: May 21, 2017, 03:56:53 AM »
No? Curious as to what figure you were thinking of...

I posted in the themed monthly painting challenge thread, but will include this here too now that it's done. Halfling owlgryph! It's a metal Reaper figure, with the top half of the (tiny) dwarf rider swapped out for the top half of a Westphalia halfman. I swapped the halfling's sword for the dwarf's spear/lance, though, as I thought it was a more appropriate weapon.

Offline Shadespyre

• Members
« Reply #942 on: May 21, 2017, 09:54:45 AM »
This one...

But yours works better, and looking at it is surely a resculpt of the unit leader?!

The owlgryph is fantastic: yes, the eyes of course, but the plumage too. :eusa_clap:

Offline King

• Members
  • Island-fortress of Malta
« Reply #943 on: May 21, 2017, 08:17:53 PM »
023 I know this might be much to ask but can you please tell me about the colours you used on the plumage of the owl griff and how you went about painting it as I love the scheme lots and would like to copy it for a griffon I have... :blush:
We cannot direct the wind, but we can adjust our sails....

Link to my blog http://www.warhammer-empire.com/theforum/index.php?topic=23114.0

Offline rufus sparkfire

• The Old Ones
  • Members
« Reply #944 on: May 21, 2017, 08:21:17 PM »
That owlgryph is fantastic.
Hey, I could still beat up a woman!
If I wanted to.

Offline Zygmund

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
    • https://www.facebook.com/groups/288460758594334
« Reply #945 on: May 22, 2017, 06:38:30 AM »
Joining the choir: the Owlgryph is fantastic!

The other figures too. You have a brisk pace with painting atm.

-Z
Live in peace and prosper.

Offline Doc J

• Members
« Reply #946 on: May 22, 2017, 02:56:17 PM »
Owlgryph's seem better than griffons, would they be nocturnal?

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Members
« Reply #947 on: May 23, 2017, 05:04:30 AM »
This one...

But yours works better, and looking at it is surely a resculpt of the unit leader?!

I will have to take a detailed side-by-side look. They're at least very similar, same pose, aesthetics, etc. Much like the one you posted, which looks like an alternate trooper. I'll have to keep an eye out for one or two of him.

023 I know this might be much to ask but can you please tell me about the colours you used on the plumage of the owl griff and how you went about painting it as I love the scheme lots and would like to copy it for a griffon I have... :blush:

I'm not sure how much I can help, but I will try. I painted it a little more like a 2d painting or larger toy. I started with a light tan base coat (craft store paint - not sure which one, but I think it was a "light khaki") on the whole thing. Then using that same base color and regular white paint, I did a second coat of paint that used some wet-blending, some "overbrushing" of mixed paint (sort of like drybrushing, but not so dry and grainy) and partially (like most of the underside of the wings) just plain old "paint it all." Later I used washes in a style like wet-in-wet watercolor painting. I started with a custom mix of acrylic ink, water and matte medium, but also brushed into the still-wet wash with a few GW washes (I think either Delvan Mud or Earthshade, maybe both) as well as some of the original ink mix with a tiny bit of India Ink mixed for the darkest parts.

This pic is right after the wash(es) dried, but before I added any of the detail. I ended up not needing to do much highlighting after this.

The black accents were just painted on with thin black paint. Not quite a wash, but thin enough that it did end up creating some highlights on its own. I did go back and add some highlights with black mixed with a medium grey.

Owlgryph's seem better than griffons, would they be nocturnal?

Hadn't thought of that, but now that you mention it, night raids seem like a cool idea, as do nigh patrols/defense.

I added one last RP Meier giant to my collection. I was trying to get it before "Big April" ended, but missed out. Still, it didn't take too long to track on down for a reasonable price.

And a shot of the three RP Meier giants together.

...so far. Should I try to get the rest? I think these are some of the best of his giants from that period.

General painting note... I added a thin blue ink wash (Superman style?) to the newest giants hair & beard, and
think it really helped give the black/grey a bit of life and extra punch & contrast!
« Last Edit: May 23, 2017, 05:08:31 AM by ZeroTwentythree »

Offline Doc J

• Members
« Reply #948 on: May 23, 2017, 08:22:22 PM »
Those giants look so relaxed  :lol:

Offline King

• Members
  • Island-fortress of Malta
« Reply #949 on: May 23, 2017, 08:46:51 PM »
Thanks 023.  Much appreciated  :::cheers:::
We cannot direct the wind, but we can adjust our sails....

Link to my blog http://www.warhammer-empire.com/theforum/index.php?topic=23114.0