home

Author Topic: Newly Imagined Witch Hunter and Captain  (Read 16940 times)

Offline iatroblast

• Members
  • Invincibility at no extra charge!
Re: Newly Imagined Witch Hunter and Captain
« Reply #25 on: August 12, 2009, 01:56:34 AM »
Hi,
I'm new here and before I start, I'd like apologize for my poor English, ..I'm from Athens so... please be patient
-Well, now that I've done this I'll continue with my message-

I'd like to say that I wouldn't mind having a witch-hunter in my Imperial army too. Having a Witch-hunter in your ranks, is a common idea for Empire players.
I hope this will come true soon
The question is: "what is the best way to resemble a witch-hunter in warhammer"
Witch-hunters were "hunting"...."witches" :icon_razz: that's obvious... but if I wanted to resemble this in game , I'd say that having a magic resistance would be a good start! You can't expect to fight someone you're vulnerable at! :icon_cool:
Witch-hunters were burning wizards down!!!! not only wizards, but everyone they suspected he was (--innocent people that is). And though we all agree this was a cruel way to fight evil, a lot of people followed them back then! A good way to resemble this would be for Witch-hunters to join flagellant units as well (just like priests). On the other hand, any 'normal' unit they joined would be....frenzy!! Why? Because Priests already give 'Hate' :icon_razz: and we need something new. ....."Where a Priest fills your heart with courage and bravery", a Witch-hunter warns you for the evil lurking in the dark ready to consume your soul and fills you with grief and despair! You want to stop this 'evil' in ANY POSSIBLE WAY!! And thus you become his.. pawn
I agree that Witch-hunters are NOT figures you will meet in battlefields. Well, giving them a WS4 and Attacks2 would be a good way to resemble their 'battle inexperience'
Witch-hunters are serving church. They probably consider their selves "tools of the god" so -we like it or not- they look a lot like priests... the significant difference would be the weaponry-- pistols, handguns, long-riffles and (why not?) flaming attacks (torches!) would do the job!

Finally, I'd suggest that a Witch-hunter is always bellow a priest (he follows his orders, right?) so he should be a hero-choice. As a Lord-choice, I imagine him with a different 'title' like.... 'Inquisitor' or... (taken from the 'Disciples' video-game) 'High Inquisitor'

I don't think that Witch-hunters are like assassins at all! They give this false impression because they are always covered in capes and coats and huge hats...
But I DO think they are more... 'mysterious' and 'flexible'. I don't know how to resemble this, but maybe I'd give them the 'scout' special rule! Well... that's the way I see them and I'm looking forward to here more opinions :eusa_clap:

Offline Chr1s-Cross

• Members
« Reply #26 on: August 18, 2009, 02:58:03 PM »
How about a special set of items for witch hunters? Like the dark elf assassins have 'Gifts of Khaine', they could get items like 'holy water' (+1 strength vs daemons/undead?), wooden stake (killing blow) or 'holy cross of Sigmar' (magic resistance 2?). I think it'd be a great replacement for things like daemonic gifts and gifts of khaine, but for Witch Hunters instead!

Offline Grumbaki

• Members
« Reply #27 on: August 21, 2009, 05:58:37 PM »
iatroblast, I must say that I love your idea of having the witch hunter give the unit frenzy. It is perfect! They are rabble rousing fanatics who can get a mob to charge blindly into danger. Frenzy works perfect for that. Add in a warrior priest to the unit and you get hatred...a perfect combination.

Just imagine a unit of great swords with a 7 man frontage charging into combat. 11 WS 4 Str 5 attacks with re-rolls to hit. And then you get the witch hunter and priest too. Sure, that is 2 hero and 1 special slot, but they'll hit as hard as chaos warriors. Great Idea.
Treachery and Greed: Golden Company
Empire of Wolves: Urenbach

Two campaigns. Two factions. Both prove that you can lose a campaign horribly and still have a great time. Behold, the power of RPing!

Offline iatroblast

• Members
  • Invincibility at no extra charge!
« Reply #28 on: August 21, 2009, 11:12:14 PM »
thank you very much! Using two hero slots for this excellent combination (didn't cross my mind) is quite fair. I only hope it's not too overpowered..

How about a special set of items for witch hunters? ...they could get items like 'holy water' (+1 strength vs daemons/undead?), wooden stake (killing blow) or 'holy cross of Sigmar' (magic resistance 2?)...
Meaning that they'll use their own magic items.. Why not? Though I think, that killing blow should affect specific units (because of the stick). We must also be careful not to mistake them for Hero-killers or Vampire-hunters  :icon_wink:
Holy Water or Holy cross, are just fine

Offline Backwater

• Members
« Reply #29 on: October 11, 2009, 08:32:15 PM »
I'm hoping that they make a Witch Hunter as an hero choice for empire, to be an alternative for Warrior Priest, with the following bonuses:

- Etheral hunter, maybe for the whole unit
- Magic Resistance/extra Dispel
- Gives Immune to Psycology or causes Fear with unit he joins

Other ideas include that the empire champion upgrade would also give the unit an special rule, like Sergenant of Spearmen would give ASF for the unit or Miltia Sergeant (as Witch Hunter) would give ItP or magic weapon status against etheral cretures...
Dead-on...

Offline der Hurenwiebel

• Members
  • Adversus Malum Pugnamus
« Reply #30 on: October 12, 2009, 05:35:32 PM »
Two hero slots is too big a price to pay, rather do a scaled points cost related to the unit the witch hunter joins.  Thus if he joins  a unit of 10 the cost for frenzy is 20 points if a unit of 15 then 30 points.  likewise with holy water and other special skills that can use even half point fractions to balance them better.

"DEfighter wrote:
Hey, trolls stay the hell out, this is a serious thread. Empire are cheese. 2 steam tanks, a war altar and 4 cannons is so obviously overpowered. Anyone who thinks otherwise clearly hasn't had their dragon shot down on turn 1 yet."

oh really now.  LOL ROFLMAO oh the irony.