home

Author Topic: The Nemesis Crown - Information and Organization  (Read 28844 times)

Offline Kardos

• Members
  • HULK SMASH
Re: The Nemesis Crown - Information and Organization
« Reply #25 on: April 02, 2007, 10:15:35 PM »
Thank goodness i see some Empire people wanting to participate! My Empire friend (SmithBL) and i will now have a good narative to our games.
Thanks for the post, i have been gearing up for this for a few months now and am ready to WAAAAGH! and hopefully get some wins.
Even if i lose every game at least i contributed to something worldwide.
Kardos - Dwarfen defender since 1973

Offline Jerok

• Members
  • Captain Campaign
« Reply #26 on: April 02, 2007, 11:49:42 PM »
Tostig - You rright about getting the crown. Really, I want it to go to the dwarfs and for our Win to be one in Fluff. I seriously wouldn't mind if the dwarf High King was able to harness it's power and not go mad. If their empire expands, it's only good for them and us! Though if we do get the crown in the end, GW will be deciding it's fate. It'd be VERY hard for us to work in a LotR-esque council into our reports. (If you don't know what I mean by LotR-esqu, watch the Fellowship again.)

Wissenlander - I'm in agreeance that it will most likely be destroyed (by Empire/HE/Lizzies), but from what I know the Empires original goals will be to get the crown for Franz because he wants it for the good of the Empire, unknowledgeable as he is in it's power of corruption.

Guvnor - You'd be suprised really. If you really take an unbiased look at what they do (and not look at the prices) much of it is reasonable. Plus, they'll look harder at what WE suggest instead of what their own do.
As for the List of Words, go ahead and get started on it. I have to be serious in saying that I personally wouldn't use it, but others might. Also, while a Template for reports could be both a good and a bad thing. I believe something more general like everyone uniformly stating at the begining of their posts 'After completing the clearcutting of a section of the Forest, we..." It really should be on a player by palyer basis.

HoS - Very creative and interesting indeed. The next campaign could be the Empire vs. Brettonia or somesuch. But right now that's all speculating of course. I've had the idea though that if we decide we want Franz to go one way and GW says the other, if we all state something like 'With rescinded order to capture the crown by Emperor Karl Franz, we set out to destroy it." then GW would almost have to change his stance. Then again, we could also go the other way with that too. Very interesting indeed.

I'm going to start 'polling' on each of the ideas so far. Just a tally for who likes what. I don't think anyone has really stated any full approval yet, so i'll start with my own and add on as people say so.

Offline HoS

• Members
  • Beyond Beyond Thunderdrome
« Reply #27 on: April 02, 2007, 11:56:05 PM »
The mighty Imperial Navy takes on that of Tilea, providing another place for Karl Franz to cement his "good guy" character. Making it all the more shocking when he goes sour.
Gave into the WoW.

Offline WarbossKurgan

• Members
« Reply #28 on: April 03, 2007, 08:58:57 AM »
Kurgan - Not a problem mate. I forget if it was you or another on Da-Warpath, but the post about why people should compete in the campaign was really good. Hopefully you guys can get it back so I can link to it. Oh, just make sure you reference it as being from WE, as it'll probably rile some of you greenies.
Thanks (This one? yes that was me!) I've put your name and W-E.com next to it.  :icon_cool:

@Jerok and WarbossKurgan: Are you suggesting they will be examining results for feasability?
No, just simple checks for cheaters. If the two players of a game are if different countries the will discount the result! They will just assume you swapped registration numbers online and didn't actually play a game!

Guvnor - You'd be suprised really. If you really take an unbiased look at what they do (and not look at the prices) much of it is reasonable. Plus, they'll look harder at what WE suggest instead of what their own do.
As for the List of Words, go ahead and get started on it. I have to be serious in saying that I personally wouldn't use it, but others might. Also, while a Template for reports could be both a good and a bad thing. I believe something more general like everyone uniformly stating at the begining of their posts 'After completing the clearcutting of a section of the Forest, we..." It really should be on a player by palyer basis.

Don't mess around with templates for reports, just have a few key facts that need to be included. Things that link in to the story you want to collectively tell.  :icon_mrgreen:
« Last Edit: April 03, 2007, 09:01:20 AM by WarbossKurgan »
Adm'rul Kurgan Grimjaw of the Ironfang Pirate Fleet

Offline Guvnor

• Members
  • I'm just north of London
« Reply #29 on: April 03, 2007, 09:53:59 AM »
@Jerok and WarbossKurgan: Are you suggesting they will be examining results for feasability?
No, just simple checks for cheaters. If the two players of a game are if different countries the will discount the result! They will just assume you swapped registration numbers online and didn't actually play a game!

So there will not be checks for those with an unregistered opponent?

How will the entering of results and processing work then?
I have one sentence in response to the engineer and mechanical: Empire is post-feudal age, not post-nuclear age!

Offline Veldemere

• Members
« Reply #30 on: April 03, 2007, 10:26:36 AM »
I have always been suspicious of our great KF (although never say it aloud). Reading the fluff all the previous Emperors seem to have been  contested, raging lunatics or out for personal gain (and yes, I include Magnus in the last). KF seems a little 1 dimentional, bring on the witch hunters there have to be some skeletons in the closet.

Not that I am just bitter as he will not help our force re-take Solland.
Veldemere, Elector Count of Solland (Elect)
Quote from: wissenlander
  I'm fine with Veldemere and his retinue of disgruntled's

Offline WarbossKurgan

• Members
« Reply #31 on: April 03, 2007, 10:42:27 AM »
So there will not be checks for those with an unregistered opponent?

How will the entering of results and processing work then?

On a points system. (I don't know the actual numbers but this will give you an idea)

Win against a Registered Opponent: 5 points
Loss against a Registered Opponent: 3 points
Win against an Unregistered Opponent: 1 point
Loss against an Unregistered Opponent: 0 points
Opponent confirmed result: +1 point (Edit: To both player's score)
Both players get a chance to enter a written report of each game. There may be bonus points for this...

So playing unregistered opponents isn't nearly as good as playing registered players.

They also do manual checks of the reports (when looking for good stories to include in the weekly news updates), anything suspicious gets flagged and checked out, if it looks really dodgy they just delete them. It worked quite well last year anyway!
« Last Edit: April 04, 2007, 09:04:40 AM by WarbossKurgan »

Offline wissenlander

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
  • The original Graf of Brennenburg
« Reply #32 on: April 03, 2007, 12:16:53 PM »
Karl Franz's descent into darkness, very Greek tragedy.  It would be the 'perfect' time for such a thing.  Like I said, as crappy as it would be to see our current Empire in shambles, it would make for interesting background.

@Veldemere:  Why are we always trying to pick a fight? :wink:  It's alright though, I believe my lands aren't in the former realm of Solland anyway.  But I may have to join in league with some of the other nobles and put up a stiff resistance if you should try something. :closed-eyes:
« Last Edit: April 03, 2007, 01:54:24 PM by wissenlander »
Me and Wissenlander had babies!

not together.

finding photographic evidense that Wiss smiles is going to be hard...

Offline Veldemere

• Members
« Reply #33 on: April 03, 2007, 02:58:46 PM »
Ahhh maybe the civil war will happen after all, only by proxy in the south, Wiss maybe we should have our own online campaign to sort this out, Empire against Empire, finally a worthy opponent!

Back on topic now sorry, can I confirm whether the +1 for opponent logging score is given to winner, loser or both?
Otherwise like the scores.

Offline jlutin

• Members
  • In Development Now
« Reply #34 on: April 03, 2007, 03:20:15 PM »
Of course we could let another race get the crown, and then while they are weakened take it from them.   :evil:

Castle up outside the dwarf hold should do it.

Remember what the skaven did in SOC.  They carved out their own story, stuck to it and were richly rewarded.
Obama has spent more time playing golf than meeting with Republicans, his Deficit Commission, his Job Council and his Cabinet COMBINED.

Offline Michael W

• Members
  • In the Name of the Emperor since 2001
« Reply #35 on: April 03, 2007, 06:24:30 PM »
Thoughts on fluff during the campaign...

Perhaps we should come up with an officer or two who are serving as overall commanders of the campaign - not current special characters, but new people, with flaws and downsides.  These wouldn't be in-game "army generals," but the command structure from which all our armies are recieving orders.  We could refer to them regularly in our battle reports (ie, "On the orders of Marshal Gunther, the fifth battalion marched west along the Talabecland border, when scouts reported a host of beastmen on approach" or "Despite the heavy casualties, General Hoffengruber's orders were clear, but to obey was suicidal: the line must be held at all costs."). 

Such consistency could cement the Empire's campaign, at least on a fluffl side, and give us justifications for defeats (ie, one of our commanders is a tactical idiot).  Some of our generals would have better or worse relations with them.  Oh, and of course, they'd each be responsible for some sections of the campaign - one is in charge of the western areas, one the eastern; those of us on the east of the map answer to one, those on the west answer to the other, and those in the middle could have some fun mentioning conflicting orders from both.

If we run with the fort construction campaign, we could have a third - a logistical engineer officer whom we could blame for being late, bringing the wrong supplies, letting the gunpowder get wet, etc.  Of course, he could also be the guy who personally checked upon the Helblaster just before its glorious performance or who deployed the artillery train to cover an army's retreat after a devastating defeat.  You get the idea - consistent charaters who aren't part of our armies, but play a side-role throughout our storyline.

Anyway, that's rather long...but what do you think?  Good idea?
Let them taste Reikland steel!
----------------------------

Offline HoS

• Members
« Reply #36 on: April 03, 2007, 10:19:43 PM »
Sounds like a good idea. In fact, that should give us a solid base from which to build our reports/strategies.
Gave into the WoW.

Offline Jerok

• Members
  • Captain Campaign
« Reply #37 on: April 04, 2007, 12:20:21 AM »
HoS, Valdemere, Wissenlander - I'm going to ask we keep speculations and such about what KF could be to a minimum unless we are deciding if we want to seriously make it happen or not. Other than that please keep this thread on topic.

Kurgan - No, that's not the post i'm thinking of. It was actually on Da-Warpath and was all about GW learning from past campaigns etc. I also agree with yor comments about Templates. It's Unneeded!
Finally, are you sure that's how MV was run. Check my reply to Guvnor for how I thought it was run. As for 'dodgy' stuff, i'm surprised at alot of stuff i see on the leaderboards looking back on them. The guys who have like 60-some games reported with litterally nothing written down for any of them, and all but a few games were wins. Why they didn't look at these I don't know, but it'll probably be better this time around.

Guvnor - Although Kurgan is probably right, I think it's run that games against unregistered opponents count towards your personal score (only 1/2 as much as a registered one though I believe) but didn't count towards the Race/Region. To score points for a region you had to play games at a GW or Event (maybe other places like GCN nights or something) and they scored a point for/againjst you and your opponents races. You could then at home report a battle (even the same one as GW did!) and get a point if it was confirmed by your opponent. The 5 of wins would then dictate who was in first etc.

Jlutin - If anything we wouldn't want to go try and taking it from Dwarfs. They are our closest allies, don't push them. Also, what do you mean the Skaven made up their story? I've never heard this before. Are there even any big Skaven forums out there that would have organised?

Michael W - While I love your idea and enthusiasm, GW will be doing this sort of thing. During Medusa V each race got a leader who wasn't really as much a special character as the fluff leader for the campaign. So I believe the Empire will get an overall fluffy leader, but we can always spin him as we want. Also, the Engineer will definitly work as GW won't pick something like that for a leader. I'll add that one to the list.

Offline Ernst Brauer

• Members
  • Yorktown, Virginia - USA
« Reply #38 on: April 04, 2007, 12:57:36 AM »
Is this leader for all regions or are there one for each region? I wouldn't mind having a W-E forum member chosen for each region and through this forum each region can coordinate battles and fluff as we go along.

I wouldn't mind having someone tell me "Ernst! Go clear out the ______ section of forest near _______!"

I'd be the first to say "Yes sir!"

This way the fluff would be consistant for alot of us.

Offline HoS

• Members
« Reply #39 on: April 04, 2007, 01:07:53 AM »
Hmm. Might be interesting to have leader who could post a battle and then say something like:

'As the din of battle died and the last of the *insert army here* fled the field General Helstrom issued his orders to his commanders.
"Ernst! Take you army of *insert province name* and clear out *section of forest! Helblaster_Of_Sigmar, you go with him! Wissenlander, go clear out *section of forest* and take Midaski and Jerok with you!"'

Then in our battle reports we could mention "per General Helstrom's orders..."

I think that could lead to a very dynamic and interesting effect. One that may indeed get alot of attention!
Gave into the WoW.

Offline Jerok

• Members
  • Captain Campaign
« Reply #40 on: April 04, 2007, 01:46:40 AM »
I'd LOVE if we could have something like that going. Unfortunatly, with only like 10 people seeming to be interested in this thread, it's just not working.

For any who are just reading thisand not posting, PLEASE DO, even just to anounce you presence. We need to know who's onboard!

Edit: Actually, 14 Empire Players have posted in this thread, but 3 or 4 of them weren't really substantialy there. Oh, we also have Kurgan the Orc Warboss following here too, but he doesn't count when it comes to players.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2007, 01:49:21 AM by Jerok »

Offline BingoBongoEmpire

• Members
« Reply #41 on: April 04, 2007, 01:57:04 AM »
I'm definitely very interested in helping out if I can. I like the idea of having a more unified Empire front  :smile2:

I don't think Karl Franz should be part of it to be honest. If the dwarfs want it then he's likely to either try to covertly destroy it so no-one can have it or help them to recover it. Regardless of its danger the dwarfs would probably see it as being a part of their birthright and far too dangerous to entrust to either elves or man. If Karl Franz even tries to pocket it he'll probably make an enemy of the dwarfs, something he'd be highly unlikely to do even for a powerful artifact.

I would also suggest that the dwarfs would be unlikely to want to keep it around. If a venerated ancestor thought it was too dangerous to keep around any dwarf worth his beard would do his best to get rid of it as well.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2007, 02:04:56 AM by BingoBongoEmpire »

Offline Warlord

• Global Moderator
  • Members
  • Sydney, Australia
« Reply #42 on: April 04, 2007, 02:02:29 AM »
I am interested.

I like your idea Helblaster, however it depends if fluff is universal, or fluff is region dependant. If region dependant (most likely) then we would need regional commanders to co-ordinate.

We could also promote the website  :happy:
Quote from: Gneisenau
I hate people who don't paint their armies, hate them with all my guts. Beats me how they value other things over painting, like eating or brushing teeth.

Offline Jerok

• Members
  • Captain Campaign
« Reply #43 on: April 04, 2007, 02:14:25 AM »
I believe the fluff will be very heavily based on the way the Medusa V campaign was. Check out the link in the first post for an example of the weekly reports.
Basicly though, it's an overal report of the war effort, then small reports on each region, then Unit Citations etc.

Warlord - I've already posted up in LO, and if people post/pm sites I can go to i'll post there too.

Now, as for Particpating Members. I'll compile a list in this post, but will edit it into the firstpost as well. I also need everyones country that they will be reporting for. What we have so far as Members go....

Jerok - Canada
Lemercenaire - Canada
Brian Lee - Chille (Reporting US)
Guvnor - UK
Warlord - AUS
Lachieo
Helblaster_of_Sigmar
Veldemere
Wissenlander
Reiksmarshal
Tostig
jlutin
Michael W
Ernst Brauer
BingoBongoEmpire

Offline HoS

• Members
« Reply #44 on: April 04, 2007, 05:37:12 AM »
Also, don't sweat it too much about lack of hype so far. Most people on this board are rather cynical, and if they are won around it won't be until the campaign is close to starting. This is actually quite early, as I believe the start date is late May, right? Plenty of time to get players on board.
Gave into the WoW.

Offline Reynard_of_Bogenhafen

• Members
« Reply #45 on: April 04, 2007, 07:29:30 AM »
I'm in, have been from the start...

hadn't seen this thread yet!

I'm using a force representing huss as he traipses through the forest as ordered by karlf franz...

why was he ordered?

Teclis had a word with karl franz (big important issues) next thing karl has sent luthor into the woods to "spread the word of sigmar"... (this is established fluff)

The spin:  He is actually sent to find the crown!
Reynard Von Ruggbroder: Von Klaust's laurels of acclamation, bearer of the crimson ribbon, the shield of Valkin, keeper of the scroll of ludendorf, The eagle of Magnus, The Kannagheim Death's Head.

Offline BingoBongoEmpire

• Members
« Reply #46 on: April 04, 2007, 08:13:20 AM »
Jerok - I'll be posting for the UK

Offline WarbossKurgan

• Members
« Reply #47 on: April 04, 2007, 09:16:17 AM »
Kurgan - No, that's not the post i'm thinking of. It was actually on Da-Warpath and was all about GW learning from past campaigns etc.
Ah - that was "Dakka Dakka" - I've asked him to re-post it if he can!

Finally, are you sure that's how MV was run. Check my reply to Guvnor for how I thought it was run. As for 'dodgy' stuff, i'm surprised at alot of stuff i see on the leaderboards looking back on them. The guys who have like 60-some games reported with litterally nothing written down for any of them, and all but a few games were wins. Why they didn't look at these I don't know, but it'll probably be better this time around.
The stuff that appeared on the leader boards didn't actually change when fake games were deleted. They did not count in the results though.

Guvnor - Although Kurgan is probably right, I think it's run that games against unregistered opponents count towards your personal score (only 1/2 as much as a registered one though I believe) but didn't count towards the Race/Region. To score points for a region you had to play games at a GW or Event (maybe other places like GCN nights or something) and they scored a point for/againjst you and your opponents races. You could then at home report a battle (even the same one as GW did!) and get a point if it was confirmed by your opponent. The 5 of wins would then dictate who was in first etc.
I pretty sure I'm close to how it worked. I don't know the actual numbers but I know for a fact that games in GW stores did not work like that. The stores didn't take names or ID codes, so they just submitted a number of wins for each faction at the end of each day. Those wins were worth a lot of points to the faction but they were worth noting to the player.

Home games still counted to the regional totals. I watched the totals change in quite zones and I could see that when only one person posted in a day the effect was very different for games against registered and unregisterd opponents. A game against an unregistered opponent actually brought down the Faction's score! I think they were based on a proportion of wins against losses as well as the total of points earned!

It was more complex than it appeared!

Offline Veldemere

• Members
« Reply #48 on: April 04, 2007, 09:52:39 AM »
I like some of the ideas coming out here and love the idea that we may be able to play some small part in the fluff of the empire. I was intreaged with the previous post from Jlutin do we know that it was a Skaven forum that managed to get GW to write the fluff of was it GW pre releasing through the forum.

HoS is correct I think in assuming it is Cynicism that is holding many players back from signing up, that and the lack of clarity as to how exactly it will run. Jerok I am aware you have provided us with a great deal of information and I trust your sources but there are others here that will not sign up until it is all in print and decided. Keep up the good work, and as they say "if you build it they will come"

I am up for UK.

Offline WarbossKurgan

• Members
« Reply #49 on: April 04, 2007, 10:55:24 AM »
I was intreaged with the previous post from Jlutin do we know that it was a Skaven forum that managed to get GW to write the fluff or was it GW pre releasing through the forum.
The Skaven forum Underempire totally won the Fluff War during SoC.

They realised that writing imaginative but short and punchy battle reports with attention-grabbing headines and posting them on the SoC forums got them noticed. The GW narrator (GavT) read them, loved them and wrote the events into the officail story.

Do you really think that GW would pre-release anything through a third-party rather than their own site? You give them too much credit!  :icon_lol:

The Underempire came up with (among other things) the Giant Tunnelling Rat-Monster, the stolen Dwarf Gyro-copters retro-fitted with Rattling Guns, and the warpstone "atomic bomb" in Middenheim's sewers!  :icon_eek: