home

Author Topic: *Warlord's 2250 FINAL Tournie List*  (Read 3704 times)

Offline Warlord

• Global Moderator
  • Members
  • Sydney, Australia
*Warlord's 2250 FINAL Tournie List*
« on: March 25, 2008, 01:28:44 AM »
HEROES
Arch Lector
War Altar
Mace of Helstrum
VHS
Enchanted Shield
Heavy Armour
331 pts

Battle Standard Bearer
Barded Warhorse
Full Plate Armour
Griffon Banner
152 pts

Battle Wizard
Level 2
Rod of Power
Ring of Volans
150 pts

** Captain **
Pegasus
Full Plate Armour
Shield
Biting Blade
Casket of Sorcery
150 pts

CORE
Knights
5 Knights with Lances + Shields
115 pts

Knights
5 Knights with Great Weapons
115 pts

Swordsmen (BSB goes here)
23 Swordsmen with Full Command
Detachment of Archers
5 Archers
Detachment of Halberdiers
9 Halberdiers with Shields
257 pts

Flagellants
10 Flagellants
100 pts

SPECIAL
Cannon
1 Cannon
100 pts

Cannon
1 Cannon
100 pts

Greatswords (Wizard goes here)
24 Greatswords with Full Command
Detachment of Archers
6 Archers
Detachment of Free Company
10 Free Company
368 pts

Pistoliers
5 Pistoliers with Musician
97 pts

RARE
Helstorm Rocket Battery
1 Helstorm Rocket Battery
115 pts

Flagellants
10 Flagellants
100 pts

TOTAL
2250 points

(Swapped 2 Leadbelchers for 10 Flagellants and 1 archer so the points weren't over the limit)

I generally deploy with the 2 units of infantry side by side, with detachments in front or to the side. Flagellants and Knights go on the flanks, wherever terrain or enemy units suit them best. Pistoliers can go anywhere in the line, and have rapidly redeployed before during battles.

I have said this is final, however I have not attended a tournament before, and was wondering if anyone has any feedback in anyway whatsoever?
Quote from: Gneisenau
I hate people who don't paint their armies, hate them with all my guts. Beats me how they value other things over painting, like eating or brushing teeth.

Offline CaptScott

• Members
Re: *Warlord's 2250 FINAL Tournie List*
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2008, 01:44:57 AM »
Tourney time  :happy:

Step 1:  Have your dice blessed by a priest of Sigmar
Step 2:  Don't miss with your cannons

Good Luck!
2010 - The year of Empire.
2011 - The year of Empire!

Offline cubantie

• Members
  • cat in a hat
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2008, 01:54:21 AM »
i like this list alot. Could benefit from a second wizard tho
The Dane: "Where's Leo?"
Irish Hoodlum: "If I tell ya, how do I know you're not gonna kill me?"
The Dane: "Cuz if ya told me and I killed ya and you were lyin' I wouldn't get to kill ya then!

Offline phillyt

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
  • Watching... always watching...
    • https://www.facebook.com/philip.estabrook.1
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2008, 11:13:35 AM »
Only thing I would do is drop the ring of volans and take a powerstone, then drop the second unit of flagellants for another helstorm. 

Nice list!

Your list loving
Phil
Where did she touch you Eight? Show us on the doll.

Offline Warlord

• Global Moderator
  • Members
  • Sydney, Australia
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2008, 12:03:24 PM »
Only thing I would do is drop the ring of volans and take a powerstone, then drop the second unit of flagellants for another helstorm. 

Nice list!

Your list loving
Phil

I would think 4 war machines with barely any small arms fire would be overkill - possibly even seen as gamey...

And I am not sure about the powerstone - what if I roll bad spells?
Generally I take lore of light or lore of beasts - not spells that require big rolls. I use the Ring of Volans on an expensive lore like Death, Heavens or Fire so I get something useful and generally gets attention from the enemy. Both are one use only, so to me the difference is purely the different spell choice...

And I also don't have enough points. Nor do I have my original Helstorm painted, let alone constructing a new one and painting it... :blush:

But thank you Captscott, cubante and PhillyT for you comments...
I hate people who don't paint their armies, hate them with all my guts. Beats me how they value other things over painting, like eating or brushing teeth.

Offline Perambulator

• Global Moderator
  • Members
  • Much Less Dense Than Other Lawyers!
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2008, 12:59:17 PM »
The biggest weakness I see is the lack of musicians on the core knights. You can drop one archer for one musician, but I'm not sure where you could get another. Other than that, nice list! Good luck!
Quote from: Johan Willhelm
Quote from: Dendo Star
Muppets do not have Hatred!
I bet "Animal" has Frenzy . . .

Offline phillyt

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
  • Watching... always watching...
    • https://www.facebook.com/philip.estabrook.1
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2008, 05:55:07 PM »
I would think 4 war machines with barely any small arms fire would be overkill - possibly even seen as gamey...

I don't find the two reliant on the other.  I would actually say that 4 warmachines at 2250 is the norm.  What armies with good shooting don't use 4 at that level generally?  Dwarves, HE, and DE all come to mind.  But I understand your reluctance.  In the case of only taking one, I would make it the helblaster though.

And I am not sure about the powerstone - what if I roll bad spells?
Generally I take lore of light or lore of beasts - not spells that require big rolls. I use the Ring of Volans on an expensive lore like Death, Heavens or Fire so I get something useful and generally gets attention from the enemy. Both are one use only, so to me the difference is purely the different spell choice...

You make a good point, but I find the powerstone often lets you get a real surprise off on the enemy while using one of the spells you know you have and really need.  It is a toss up, but I have had a few occassions where I got total crap spells for the ring.

Goodluck Warlord!

Phil
Where did she touch you Eight? Show us on the doll.

Offline Warlord

• Global Moderator
  • Members
  • Sydney, Australia
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2008, 06:53:21 AM »
The biggest weakness I see is the lack of musicians on the core knights. You can drop one archer for one musician, but I'm not sure where you could get another. Other than that, nice list! Good luck!

I used to take musicians on the knights, but I found that generally they didn't help much...

But yeah, originally I did have only 1 musician in one unit, however odds are I would have needed him in the other unit when the time came...

And Philly, it could be argued my War Altar is a War Machine...  :mellow: Yeah, I kinda agree, however Empire War Machines are nasty. As are Dwarves. Other races having more than 4 War Machines doesn't bother me so much because they are generally less powerful. And I have NEVER played a HE / DE player that takes 4 RBT's...

And I am not taking a Helblaster because:
1/ I have 2 cannons already, and it performs a similar role
2/ I have an AL on WA with VHS and Mace of Helstrum who can eat super characters up no problem
3/ Last time I took a Helblaster in 7th it blew up first turn (after rolling a 6 - I only killed 3 Squig Hoppers... 3!!)
4/ I refuse to take one because of how nerfed it now is - it was risky enough in 6th - at least it could make its return.

Offline angryman

• Members
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2008, 10:24:12 AM »
I think that you might be in the middle ground for magic, so aginst heavy magic armies your second wizard level might not be much use. That would be my only concern, the rest of the list looks good.

Offline cubantie

• Members
  • cat in a hat
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2008, 11:53:02 AM »
I think that you might be in the middle ground for magic, so aginst heavy magic armies your second wizard level might not be much use. That would be my only concern, the rest of the list looks good.

he has to be able to put atleast some presure on the magic fase for his prayers to have any chance of passing though.

Also i think that the caskatus is very swing or miss. Against some armies his totally worthless, while against others he can save your ass. Thats why for turnies and when i dont know what exactly im facing, i usually put the doomfire ring on him. Its pretty much always good, + you can hit like 3 units at a time if you play him well, which can be devastating. And another boundspell to boot.  Once made this really swanky move, Huntsmen jumped out behind a unit, doomfire ring fires, unit flees and gets auto destroyed, i cheer. Could be good with pistoliers too.
The Dane: "Where's Leo?"
Irish Hoodlum: "If I tell ya, how do I know you're not gonna kill me?"
The Dane: "Cuz if ya told me and I killed ya and you were lyin' I wouldn't get to kill ya then!

Offline Perambulator

• Global Moderator
  • Members
  • Much Less Dense Than Other Lawyers!
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2008, 12:32:25 PM »

I used to take musicians on the knights, but I found that generally they didn't help much...

But yeah, originally I did have only 1 musician in one unit, however odds are I would have needed him in the other unit when the time came...

I used to think the whole musician thing was a crock until my last tournament where my knights failed to rally on a roll of 9. It cost me a valuable flank countercharge.  *shrug*
Quote from: Johan Willhelm
Quote from: Dendo Star
Muppets do not have Hatred!
I bet "Animal" has Frenzy . . .

Offline Crimsonsphinx

• Members
  • A mind without purpose walks in dark places
    • marcwalpole
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2008, 05:31:32 PM »
Musicians on knights are nice, but really you should not be bothering with command options for none IC knights, as they are expensive.

Personally I do not like Arch Lectors however its an interesting combo of items on him, which may or may not prove to be good :)  I just can't ever justify the huge point sink that he is.

Otherwise the list seems fine.  I would not personally put a wizard in a unit of greatswords, but I might deploy him there to protect him from being killed on turn 1.

Stare into the Abyss and the Abyss stares back.

Visit my 40k blog http://2plusdispel.blogspot.com/ updated four or more times a month and offers painting advice and gaming advice for warhammer 40,000

Offline Warlord

• Global Moderator
  • Members
  • Sydney, Australia
« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2008, 03:33:51 AM »
Angryman:

Thanks for you comments. I know I'm kinda in the middleground, however I don't want to go too heavy (as it normally ends badly) and I don't want to go too light. However in my 2500 pt list I am soon going to post, I did go a bit lighter on magic...

cubante:

I know. And it is something I still may consider... It will probably be one of the things that I umm and arr over until I submit the list to the organiser. Actually, you have inspired me to start a topic...

Perambulator:

I know, and the moment I fail the test during the tournament, I will think of you...  :blush:

Otherwise the list seems fine.  I would not personally put a wizard in a unit of greatswords, but I might deploy him there to protect him from being killed on turn 1.

Precisely. Only if he gets the best turn of events would he actually stay there (4+ WS and Bears Anger)...

Offline Crimsonsphinx

• Members
    • marcwalpole
« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2008, 07:51:09 PM »
Thats ok then Warlord.  I always deploy my wizards in units at the start, to reduce my number of units on the table, for the roll off for turn 1.

Its rare they ever stay in a unit past turn 2.

Visit my 40k blog http://2plusdispel.blogspot.com/ updated four or more times a month and offers painting advice and gaming advice for warhammer 40,000

Offline Robert Klemic

• Members
« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2008, 02:38:37 AM »
Err,  putting the wizards in units to start doesn't shrink your number of drops as all characters count as 1 drop anyway.

Offline angryman

• Members
« Reply #15 on: March 28, 2008, 08:27:57 AM »
Angryman:

Thanks for you comments. I know I'm kinda in the middleground, however I don't want to go too heavy (as it normally ends badly) and I don't want to go too light. However in my 2500 pt list I am soon going to post, I did go a bit lighter on magic...

When I first posted I didn't take into account your Arch lector on war alter. I forgot that they can bring a bit to the magic phase. You also probably have that bit extra to prevent dice storage items as they'll usually have at least 4 spells to dispell

Offline Crimsonsphinx

• Members
    • marcwalpole
« Reply #16 on: March 28, 2008, 12:10:16 PM »
They count as 1 drop for deployment, like warmachines, but they are individual units when calculating first turn.  At least thats how my gaming group plays it.