home

Author Topic: Other Manufacturers  (Read 667778 times)

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Members
  • i'm a mercenary doom bringer
Re: Other Manufacturers
« Reply #250 on: July 19, 2010, 03:50:40 PM »
 :::cheers:::

Whoops. I also forgot to mention something else regarding the Perry Miniatures.

In addition to the bow & halberd set they currently have, they are supposed to be releasing a second set with pikemen, crossbowmen & handgunners in the near future. Those might be worth waiting on, too.

Offline rufus sparkfire

• The Old Ones
  • Members
« Reply #251 on: July 19, 2010, 10:14:45 PM »
Closer in time would be the Perry Miniatures Wars of the Roses figures. Right now they have a set with archers and billmen. Unfortunately (for Empire players), it's very heavy on the archers. Suitable for WotR, but not so great for state troop selections. You may be able to convert some of them with other weapons/arms.

You can make 24 halberdiers, including the command group. That's plenty.
Hey, I could still beat up a woman!
If I wanted to.

Offline Midaski

• Sunny Sussex, England
  • Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #252 on: July 26, 2010, 08:11:05 PM »
I've just noticed that Vendel have been sold/taken over by SGMM in the USA.

I think the original Vendel team sold out to Stafford Games a year or so ago, and now that seems to have died too. Just checked the Stafford site and no mention of Vendel.
The SGMM site has renamed them 'Molon Labe' - and I have been trying to work that one out  ................... :engel:

I bought a lot of their elizabethans/reivers for my Estalian army a few years ago, and a couple of their elephants too.
Quote from: Gneisenau
Metal to Finecast - It is mostly a swap of medium. 

You mean they will be using Ouija boards instead of Tarot cards for their business plans from now on?

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Members
« Reply #253 on: July 28, 2010, 01:34:17 AM »
I like the look of these:

http://www.warlordgames.co.uk/?p=6776

12 multipose hard plastic cavalry - at I guess probably around £15.00  :biggriin:

Oooh... guess a little higher... £25.00  :-(

http://shop.warlordgames.co.uk/cuirrasiers-4411-p.asp

Offline Midaski

• Sunny Sussex, England
  • Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #254 on: July 28, 2010, 07:54:28 AM »
Yeah I read it wrong.
On the box it says "12 Multipart plastic" which is as far as I got,  :icon_rolleyes: and I should have continued to read "and metal"

The horses are plastic, the riders metal, and I think some of the arms are separate.

As we discussed above - I am wary of WG's metals and their habit of mixing.

You mean they will be using Ouija boards instead of Tarot cards for their business plans from now on?

Offline Gneisenau

• Members
  • Alleged Ungulate
« Reply #255 on: July 28, 2010, 08:07:29 AM »
In addition to the bow & halberd set they currently have, they are supposed to be releasing a second set with pikemen, crossbowmen & handgunners in the near future. Those might be worth waiting on, too.

*drool*

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Members
« Reply #256 on: July 28, 2010, 03:15:00 PM »
Yeah I read it wrong.
On the box it says "12 Multipart plastic" which is as far as I got,  :icon_rolleyes: and I should have continued to read "and metal"

The horses are plastic, the riders metal, and I think some of the arms are separate.

As we discussed above - I am wary of WG's metals and their habit of mixing.

I missed that too. They were a lot more appealing when they were all plastic.

Although metal riders on plastic horses is OK. They're sort of like separate figures you glue together. I just don't like mixing metal bits on plastic figures.

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Members
« Reply #257 on: August 03, 2010, 06:57:51 PM »

More new Perry Wars of the Roses stuff:

http://theminiaturespage.com/news/254637/

All very nice figures. Really liking that bombard!

Offline Midaski

• Sunny Sussex, England
  • Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #258 on: August 03, 2010, 07:23:19 PM »
I saw the 'greens' version a while back.

I am waiting for the second plastics box, and then I will probably look at mixing them with my old style metal Brets for a couple of Medieval armies.

Of course I will have finished my 5 WFB Empire Armies and my 600 WAB Ancients figures beforehand - when are they due out 2019 is it?

Actually as we are talking about ridiculous things - how are those models only £6 a pack for 6 models :icon_exclaim:   

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Members
« Reply #259 on: August 03, 2010, 07:47:12 PM »
They don't have shareholders or an out of control marketing overhead to pay.

Offline FR1DAY

• Members
« Reply #260 on: August 03, 2010, 08:34:27 PM »
Does anyone know when they are released? Also the second plastic box? Will make a nice unit of men at arms for the campaign when they are out.
There are 40 different shades of black, so many fortresses and ways to attack.

So why you complaining!

Offline rufus sparkfire

• The Old Ones
  • Members
« Reply #261 on: August 04, 2010, 09:43:06 AM »
Awesome bombard! Amazing dismounted men-at-arms!

I need those.
If I wanted to.

Offline Gneisenau

• Members
  • Alleged Ungulate
« Reply #262 on: August 04, 2010, 09:58:31 AM »
Those M@A attacking with polearms would make fantastic Doppelsöldner/Greatswords if you swap the halberds for hammers.

Great stuff.

Offline rufus sparkfire

• The Old Ones
  • Members
« Reply #263 on: August 04, 2010, 10:02:23 AM »
Those M@A attacking with polearms would make fantastic Doppelsöldner/Greatswords if you swap the halberds for hammers.

Vandalism!

You could easily use them as greatswords without changing the weapons. No one would find that confusing.
If I wanted to.

Offline Gneisenau

• Members
  • Alleged Ungulate
« Reply #264 on: August 04, 2010, 10:11:57 AM »
You are right, but I simply like hammers as weapons. I've always been looking for suitable models, but haven't found any so far.

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Members
« Reply #265 on: August 04, 2010, 01:47:30 PM »
Does anyone know when they are released? Also the second plastic box? Will make a nice unit of men at arms for the campaign when they are out.

I believe those in the announcement are available now.

I'm waiting on that second plastic box too. I haven't heard anything about it yet.

Offline Midaski

• Sunny Sussex, England
  • Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #266 on: August 04, 2010, 06:03:24 PM »
There were some pics of greens a while back on TMP - and I think it was explained somewhere that with all the various stages of production it would be September.

In fact it might have been an email from them after I asked before Salute in April, or it might have been at Salute on their stand, ............. and it might actually have been November ............

Well what do you expect - I'm old. ................ You're lucky I remembered who the Perrys are. :engel:

Edit:
Remembered where my email folders are ............

"Hi Gents,
I see you have a stand at Salute –
Will the new second box of WotR be available or will you perhaps have some 3ups on show?
Mark"

"Hello Mark

We will only be selling our existing plastic ranges.
The next WoTR will be a few months yet.

Alan"

So that was April - define a few months - more than 3 = August.

:closed-eyes:
« Last Edit: August 04, 2010, 06:08:04 PM by Midaski »

Offline Uryens de Crux

• Members
« Reply #267 on: August 05, 2010, 10:23:05 AM »
Anyone had any dealings with Black Tree in the UK recently? I need a unit of dwarven hammerers but refuse to pay the frankly offensive GW price for them...
We go to gain a little patch of ground that hath in it no profit but the name.
The Free Company of Solland

The Barony of Wusterburg

Offline Midaski

• Sunny Sussex, England
  • Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #268 on: August 05, 2010, 11:24:07 AM »
Anyone had any dealings with Black Tree in the UK recently? I need a unit of dwarven hammerers but refuse to pay the frankly offensive GW price for them...

Yes - but although they have an address down in Cornwall on the site, I think most of the stuff is done from their Texas base.

There is another thread where I mentioned getting some of Camels from them - like Padre's - and just how long it takes to turn up.

http://warhammer-empire.com/theforum/index.php?topic=33589.0

To sum up:
Plusses - Nice models - have had lots of stuff on sale for a while.

Minuses - No communication - Delivery for me was 4 weeks and then about 6/7 and one set is still to follow** - Said that they didn't take your money until the order was ready and my money came off my card same day I ordered - and although I was charged in GBP on the site, the credit card showed I was charged more as they had taken the payment in dollars.

** When my second order turned up there was a set missing, but I did get 7 extra infantry models - there was a note saying "sorry for delay - other set to  follow" but no mention of the extras, so I wasn't sure if it was an error, or a bonus to make up for the delay.

I get the impression  that they are run/owned by some older guys, and it is not full time business. They took over the old Harlequin outfit I think in the past.

Nice stuff but you need to be patient and be a bit tolerant.

Offline Uryens de Crux

• Members
« Reply #269 on: August 05, 2010, 11:39:48 AM »
Thanks

given its £60 for a unit of 20 hammerers from GW or £14 for a unit of 18 from BTD...I'll suck it up and hope they get mine out quickly!
We go to gain a little patch of ground that hath in it no profit but the name.
The Free Company of Solland

The Barony of Wusterburg

Offline Midaski

• Sunny Sussex, England
  • Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #270 on: August 05, 2010, 09:06:38 PM »
This might be worth a look - an Independent review, I think, of the two plastic Viking boxes out at the moment.

http://www.hourofwolves.org/?view=articles&which=vikingFaceOff

Pictures and info.

Offline GambitGriffin

• Members
« Reply #271 on: August 05, 2010, 10:13:26 PM »
I was thinking about buying these to boost up my greatswords to 40 (thanks to Finlay :-)) http://www.artizandesigns.com/prod.php?prod=1776
It says "The deal does not include a flag", what exactly does that mean? Does it mean that I can still paint a flag, like on GW figures, or don't they come with any banner at all?
If someone has picture of the sprue I would be most grateful :)

My friend asked me to ask you guys if you know if there is any good medieval knights out there? He plays brets and want to expand but like me he's low on cash and also like variety in his army.

Offline Badwolf

• Members
  • 10mm KoW
« Reply #272 on: August 05, 2010, 11:31:19 PM »
If someone has picture of the sprue I would be most grateful :)

GG, they're metal, not plastic so you won't find any sprue pics.

These are the pics on the Artizan site.
http://www.artizandesigns.com/prod.php?prod=1750
http://www.artizandesigns.com/prod.php?prod=1751
http://www.artizandesigns.com/prod.php?prod=1736

Offline GambitGriffin

• Members
« Reply #273 on: August 06, 2010, 10:44:23 AM »
He he I knew they were metal but I don't know what hmm "metal sprues" are called? Just models? :)
Either way, tanks for the pics, I guess it means I have to buy the flag as well? Who is the standard bearer and do I need to buy some kind of standard pole. the thing the banner i hanging on?

Offline Midaski

• Sunny Sussex, England
  • Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #274 on: August 06, 2010, 12:27:15 PM »
A lot of metal manufacturers supply 'weapons' separately from the miniature, and you either get them loose in the blister/box, or have to buy them separately.

Some will do soft metal spears/halberds which usually arrive bent and are quite difficult to straighten out and keep straight.

A lot also offer 'spears' in different lengths - so javelins, spears or pikes - in steel which arrive straight, normally stay straight, and can be very sharp if you put your hand down on them by accident ..........  :engel:

If you look at the Artizan sight you will find a link to 'wires' or 'spears' and you can see what's available.

Some of the new plastics are coming with this 'open-hand' style - you get the weapons separately and they will fit/glue into the open hand of the model.