home

Author Topic: Other Manufacturers  (Read 681186 times)

Offline Midaski

• Sunny Sussex, England
  • Administrator
  • Members
Re: Other Manufacturers
« Reply #2600 on: April 03, 2015, 04:49:32 PM »
They're running a preview at Salute in three weeks.
Quote from: Gneisenau
Metal to Finecast - It is mostly a swap of medium. 

You mean they will be using Ouija boards instead of Tarot cards for their business plans from now on?

Offline The Red Graf

• Members
  • Slava Ukraini, Alba gu brąth!
« Reply #2601 on: April 05, 2015, 01:30:14 AM »
I found this page on Facebook. Supposed to be running an Indigogo campaign in April.

https://www.facebook.com/warbandMiniatures/photos_stream

ultima ratio regum

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Members
  • i'm a mercenary doom bringer
« Reply #2602 on: April 05, 2015, 02:04:17 AM »
Very creative, original. Good to see more companies breaking new ground with original concepts.  :roll:

Offline The Red Graf

• Members
« Reply #2603 on: April 05, 2015, 02:09:43 AM »
Ah sarcasm. Not me, I'd rather see variations on themes I like.
ultima ratio regum

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Members
« Reply #2604 on: April 05, 2015, 03:54:57 AM »
I do to.... but only to a certain extent. It's one thing to see someone make their own interpretation of the "battle nun" concept, but this is flat-out, lazy copying of someone else's ideas. Even then, I could totally respect that as a personal fan/hobby project. I like seeing hobbyists doing cool conversions or sculpts for figures in existing games. But this appears to be someone trying to make money from stealing ideas.

Offline Timbor

• Members
« Reply #2605 on: April 05, 2015, 04:11:46 AM »
I like how it seems they are trying to see how close they can get to actually copying the GW IP (ie twin tailed comet, mordheim-esque text, etc).  I gotta agree with 023 on this one.  This seems like far more of a blatant copy than the Raging Heroes stuff, which genuinely feels like a unique take on a popular concept.  It's a tough line to tread though, as you can arguably predict that a small, unknown startup will have a very hard time just breaking even by offering something completely novel.  People tend to be like cattle, they like a set routine.  Same breakfast, same path to work, same daily pattern, same popular fantasy themes.  (except for some of us outlandish outliers  :closed-eyes:)

I wonder if the indiegogo will get cancelled due to a CnD from 'ol big brother GW?
If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason. - J.H.

Paint Log: link  Blog: My Life in Millimetres

Offline The Red Graf

• Members
« Reply #2606 on: April 05, 2015, 04:14:27 AM »
I don't know. GW is not supporting Mordheim and has not done so for a long time. The Mordheim community is pretty strong though. It seems logical that someone would step in and fill that niche. Not everyone has the time or the skill to convert or sculpt their own Sisters of Sigmar and god knows most of us can't afford to buy the originals.

You could argue that GW was the lazy actor here because they can't be bothered to support the game and don't respect there own product enough to allow healthy competition.

If the finished product is as good as these examples then more power to them.
ultima ratio regum

Offline DariusZero

• Members
  • I'm a non native speaker from Mars and I bite.
« Reply #2607 on: April 05, 2015, 07:54:37 AM »
Yeah, I agree with Red graf here, if GW don't want to support their own IP then screw them, I will suport whatever company that takes the ball and continues the range. It's not like they invented everything. NUns with knives, cmon, you can't IP licence that. Sometimes I have a feeling you guys work for the GW IP department. :roll:
One of the big wigs... once told them "If a household doesn't have an income of $70,000, we don't consider them a GW target customer."
MyEmpireBlog: http://warhammer-empire.com/theforum/index.php?topic=33477.0

Offline Darknight

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
  • Dipped in Magic, Clothed in Science
« Reply #2608 on: April 05, 2015, 05:06:59 PM »
NUns with knives, cmon, you can't IP licence that.

If you could, the Catholic Church would have done it back in the 1400s.
Completed Projects | History of Ophelia VII

Quote from: PhillyT
Everyone finds their balance between satisfaction and obsession.

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Members
« Reply #2609 on: April 05, 2015, 05:07:49 PM »
These aren't just "nuns with knives." A lot of companies have taken their own shot at that. These are sculpted in the exact same style as the GW figures, and are covered with cliche Sigmarite symbols. In fact, they arguably align with three specific characters from Mordheim.

Honestly, if they had even just left off the comets & lettering, I would have given them a pass on the "close but still generic enough."

Regardless, if GW it sitting on their IP, that's their business. They may have other plans for it, and it's their right to let a game sit idle for a while. They let Space Hulk go dormant for years at a time, but have brought it back. It doesn't give third parties the right to rip them off. The fact that not everyone has access to the old figures or can't afford the prices they fetch on the secondary market doesn't change that.

Believe me, I am far from GW's biggest fan. I buy figures from a bunch of different sources. The same IP laws that protect GW also (theoretically) protect small & independent companies that develop their own IP.

Offline The Red Graf

• Members
« Reply #2610 on: April 05, 2015, 05:57:50 PM »
Unless one of us is an Intellectual Property Lawyer on the GW payroll this whole discussion can be boiled down to I like them or I don't. I think we are all aware that you don't.
ultima ratio regum

Offline Midaski

• Sunny Sussex, England
  • Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #2611 on: April 05, 2015, 07:29:09 PM »
I like them - but I think 923 is right about the IP - they'll get jumped on for the comet, probably the 'S' and the hammer.

I suppose 9th Ed might not use the comet ....................  :engel:

You mean they will be using Ouija boards instead of Tarot cards for their business plans from now on?

Offline DariusZero

• Members
  • I'm a non native speaker from Mars and I bite.
« Reply #2612 on: April 05, 2015, 07:35:24 PM »
And the comet thing is also GW IP, right? :engel:
One of the big wigs... once told them "If a household doesn't have an income of $70,000, we don't consider them a GW target customer."
MyEmpireBlog: http://warhammer-empire.com/theforum/index.php?topic=33477.0

Offline The Red Graf

• Members
« Reply #2613 on: April 05, 2015, 09:26:47 PM »
The Comet is only a single tailed comet and S could stand for a lot of things. I think if GW couldn't get a decisive victory in the Chapter House case then they probably couldn't win on the merits here either. That being said this seems to be a real fly by night operation, GW doesn't have to win on the merits all it has to do is make the guy understand what his attorneys will charge him to take the case to trial and the problem is solved.
ultima ratio regum

Offline Midaski

• Sunny Sussex, England
  • Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #2614 on: April 06, 2015, 02:54:00 PM »
I was browsing Gripping Beasts new website - which they told me was coming in a recent newsletter ..............

.....when I found some new product available at Salute, which they don't seem to have told many people about.  :engel:

LightCavalry

Heavy Cavalry

£22.00 a box

Offline The Red Graf

• Members
« Reply #2615 on: April 06, 2015, 09:15:54 PM »
Are these plastic multi part kits?
ultima ratio regum

Offline Midaski

• Sunny Sussex, England
  • Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #2616 on: April 06, 2015, 09:28:08 PM »
12 Multi-part plastic Arab Light Cavalry.

Comes with enough parts to make all 12 into javelin/spear armed or bow armed chaps.or, of course, a mix of both.
There are separate bow cases and quivers,
Many head variants and arms with trumpets and swords are included,

12 Multi-part Plastic Arab Heavy Cavalry and bases.

Comes with enough parts to make either 12 spear armed or 12 bow armed chaps or some mix of both!
Contains extra head variants, separate bow cases  and quivers, alternative arms with swords or trumpets.

All in all, jolly nice.

Offline The Red Graf

• Members
« Reply #2617 on: April 06, 2015, 09:32:45 PM »
12 Multi-part plastic Arab Light Cavalry.

Comes with enough parts to make all 12 into javelin/spear armed or bow armed chaps.or, of course, a mix of both.
There are separate bow cases and quivers,
Many head variants and arms with trumpets and swords are included,

12 Multi-part Plastic Arab Heavy Cavalry and bases.

Comes with enough parts to make either 12 spear armed or 12 bow armed chaps or some mix of both!
Contains extra head variants, separate bow cases  and quivers, alternative arms with swords or trumpets.

All in all, jolly nice.

Thanks, if these are close in size to GW they would make some cracking Araby cavalry.
ultima ratio regum

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
  • Happy Spring! : )
« Reply #2618 on: April 08, 2015, 12:38:47 PM »
They looks like Araby cavalry to me. :icon_cool: :icon_biggrin:
"Not all who wander are lost ... " Tolkien

"... my old suggestion is forget it, take two aspirins and go paint" steveb

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

"Until death it is all life." Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra

Offline Midaski

• Sunny Sussex, England
  • Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #2619 on: April 08, 2015, 02:41:53 PM »
They're going to be a stock response like the Bret Pegasus.

Try these if you want Arab Cavalry ......................  :engel:

Offline Quickbeam

• Members
« Reply #2620 on: April 09, 2015, 08:08:26 AM »
Man those look like they would make some great Araby Cavalry  :icon_lol:
“An army of principles will penetrate where an army of soldiers cannot.”
― Thomas Paine

Offline Warhammer-Weib

• Members
« Reply #2621 on: April 09, 2015, 09:13:34 AM »
I've just taken a look at the Salute update of Black Scorpion miniatures ... lots of awesome minis I'd like to paint:

https://www.blackscorpionminiatures.com/

Offline Midaski

• Sunny Sussex, England
  • Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #2622 on: April 09, 2015, 07:39:25 PM »
I've just taken a look at the Salute update of Black Scorpion miniatures ... lots of awesome minis I'd like to paint:

https://www.blackscorpionminiatures.com/

I was just wondering if I could give the Amazons weapons - most of the hands look accessible.
I have a few sets of theirs on my shopping list - only two weeks from this Saturday.
I'm having to catch a train this year, which seriously might hinder my carrying capacity.  :engel:
I usually run around and collect my pre-orders and then take them back to the car, have some lunch and then browse ..........

So far I have 4 boxes of Arab Cavalry, 2 Boxes of Mongol Heavy Cavalry, a few 4Ground bits. Then a couple of Boxes of Perry Mounted Light Cavalry ................ lovely multi-part plastic ..........  :biggriin:

Offline Sikander

• Members
« Reply #2623 on: April 09, 2015, 11:15:58 PM »
Any body ever ordered from http://www.alionas.com/

they have some 'interesting' miniatures!

Some nice civilians including 'fierce step mother' and 'baker'

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Members
« Reply #2624 on: April 10, 2015, 02:21:45 AM »
Optimized for IE!  :ph34r:

This site was mentioned somewhere else recently. Looks like it hasn't been updated in a little while. I'd try to contact them first.