home

Author Topic: 100 Days of Hobby 2020 ...  (Read 73070 times)

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
  • Happy Spring! : )
100 Days of Hobby 2020 ...
« on: April 29, 2020, 11:01:41 PM »
In 2015, I heard of a professor of some class would assign her students at the beginning of it to pick something that they would do for 100 days in a row, and then provide a paper at the end of the class on how it impacted their life.  So ... that summer I started and completed a 100 Days of Painting effort.  Each day I did some painting of military miniatures, and although it wasn't easy, some days I had to squeak it in at the last moment before heading off to bed, but it did change the number of figures I had started and completed, and generally speaking was often a good way to relax.

So ... I'm considering starting on this upcoming Friday evening, May 1st to begin 100 Days of Hobby.

The difference will be to not just limit it to painting figures, but instead do something with the hobby ... build, construct, convert, game, make scenery, paint, research historical topics for colors, uniforms, scenarios, or even write fluff ... yet do something every day for 100 days in a row, and keep track of it to see my progress.

Anybody else interested in joining me on this???
« Last Edit: May 01, 2020, 03:57:53 PM by GamesPoet »
"Not all who wander are lost ... " Tolkien

"... my old suggestion is forget it, take two aspirins and go paint" steveb

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

"Until death it is all life." Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra

Offline Artobans Ghost

• Bar Brawlers
  • Members
Re: 100 Days of Hobby???
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2020, 11:30:47 PM »
Yes! The insanity should start to slow down by months end. Then just controlled chaos. Let the 100 days begin!
Mathi Alfblut Feb 4,2017 Simple, You gut the bastard with your sword, the viking way.
Questions?

GP Jan 4, 2020
Yes, even W:AoS.

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2020, 12:31:36 AM »
Ok .. well that at least starts this off with two of us.  Ya know what they say about 3? Its a crowd.  So ... anybody else?

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

Offline StealthKnightSteg

• Members
  • Squishing Squickhoppers since 1999
    • https://www.facebook.com/vincent.goede
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2020, 08:50:07 AM »
I would love too, but just can't plan every day in for something due to work and family commitments.. I'm glad if I even get 3 evenings and/or 1 afternoon in the weekend in per week, but usually 2 evenings is the norm.
Everyone is entitled to be stupid, but some abuse the privilege.

"Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music." -- Kristian Wilson, Nintendo, Inc, 1989

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2020, 11:41:15 AM »
Well the idea is to stretch beyond the norm, and have a positive impact on our life.  A stretch can be a challenge, yet achievable, and bring positive change, a foundation for more peace and joy.

So ... if a person normally gets in 2 days a week of hobby, and they set a goal to do 3 days per week for the next 14 weeks or so, that means 50% more hobby time than normally, and I support that!  28 days vs. 42 days ... go, go, go! :icon_biggrin: :::cheers:::

Offline Rowsdower

• Members
  • Is there beer on the sun?
    • Jesse Cowled
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2020, 11:44:05 AM »
[rolls up sleeves] I can do it standing on my head. I started 'regimental' painting in 2008 and havnt stopped since
A day without hobbying is a day wasted
Kits for the kit god. Sprues for the sprue throne

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2020, 12:36:57 PM »
Well with GP, Artoban, Rowsdower and maybe SKS going for 3 days a week, looks like we officially have a crowd. :icon_cool:

Now we need a movement!  So join up today! It is the last day before we start tomorrow.

I have been doing some hobby things on and off, over the last several weeks, but today I am officially not going to do anything hobby related so that this Friday, May 1st, will be my first day of 100 Days of Hobby (2020 edition).

I'm actually resisting doing anything hobby today, because my enthusiasm for doing something seems high. :icon_lol:

• Members
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2020, 12:58:30 PM »
3 days a week (friday till thursday then it seems) I can try and manage! So I'll try!

"Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music." -- Kristian Wilson, Nintendo, Inc, 1989

Offline Novogord

• Mr Goblin
  • Members
  • Wie wind zaait, zal storm oogsten
    • http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100001398349166
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2020, 01:39:42 PM »
3 days a week (friday till thursday then it seems) I can try and manage! So I'll try!
A very good plan SKS, I think I will try that to. It is also compatible with my running schedule.
Only the dead have seen the end of the war

Being an intellectual creates a lot of questions and no answers.

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2020, 01:44:08 PM »
Awesome!

Here's the tally so far of folks giving this a go:

100 Days of Hobby (every day) ... GP, Artoban, and Rowsdower

3 Days Per Week ... SKS, and Novogord

Welcome Aboard for the Ride!

Offline Artobans Ghost

• Bar Brawlers
  • Members
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2020, 04:55:57 PM »
Quote Rowsdower: A day without hobbying is a day wasted
Kits for the kit god. Sprues for the sprue throne

😺☝️
Mathi Alfblut Feb 4,2017 Simple, You gut the bastard with your sword, the viking way.
Questions?

GP Jan 4, 2020

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2020, 05:03:31 PM »
It is so tempting to start today, but I am resisting.

Offline Realjuan

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
  • Always learning
« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2020, 06:35:56 PM »
I am in, every day. I wanted to try something similar and this fits perfectly. Tomorrow I am cleaning the attic, which should have bunch of un open boxes of minis that need to be painted.
Trading Orcs for Empire
"Gratitude is a duty which ought to be paid, but which none have a right to expect" Jean Jacque Rousseau

Offline Padre

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2020, 06:41:57 PM »
Count me in. I'm in the middle of loads of projects.
Photobucket has now re-destroyed my pictures, so the first half of my collected works thread is no longer working again. To see my website version of the campaign thread, with fully functioning pictures, please go to https://bigsmallworlds.com/

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2020, 06:44:24 PM »
Updating ...

100 Days of Hobby (every day) ... GP, Artoban, Rowsdower, Realjuan, and Padre

3 Days Per Week ... SKS, and Novogord

Welcome Aboard!

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
Re: 100 Days of Hobby 2020 ...
« Reply #15 on: May 01, 2020, 03:59:17 PM »
So ... Day 1 of 100 Days of Hobby has arrived!

With so many ideas for projects and such, I got to decide what is going to be done first. :icon_wink: :icon_lol:

Offline Padre

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #16 on: May 01, 2020, 06:28:13 PM »
The 100 days begin.

Once I've based some completed figures, the following is where I (think) I am going:

1. I need to complete these chatting and walking dudes, but I might have to hold off until I know which story they will be used in, then I can get their liveries correct!

2. Paint the wine wagon's horse ...

3. Paint 35 Halfling pike currently part done ...

4. Paint a huge cannon. Not sure which city state will find this at the back of its arsenal!

5. Paint these pirate gunners, so that all the ones on the guns look more obviously like they belong there ...

6. Paint 30 of these - mercenary Estalian swordsmen ...

There's more in my boxes, but the above have at least been started. I keep getting distracted by the needs of particular stories and thus painting and modelling for those instead.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2020, 06:32:14 PM by Padre »
Photobucket has now re-destroyed my pictures, so the first half of my collected works thread is no longer working again. To see my website version of the campaign thread, with fully functioning pictures, please go to https://bigsmallworlds.com/

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #17 on: May 01, 2020, 06:41:38 PM »
That's awesome that you've set up the queue! :::cheers:::

Here are some ideas I have going for this ...

Go thru all my paints for seeing what I might order.
Complete WotRs list of nobles, their liveries, and their badges for 1st battle of St. Albans and Blore Heath.
Paint 8mm Perry Napoleonics.
Clean and paint 20 Border Reiver figures.
Finish gluing Tower back together for use with Border Reivers, and maybe fantasy too.
Start constructing more 28mm Perry WotRs and Euro Mercs, prime them, and get busy painting them for use with Lion Rampant.
Organize ACW figures into units to use with the rules called Longstreet and get cleaning, constructing, and painting them.
Clean, prime, and paint 28mm AW French & INdian War figures for Rebels and Patriots.
Organize my WFB Empire figures and see what can get completed.
Make some scenery pieces for all sorts of uses.
Get in some more games via Zoom.
Set up a campaign idea or two for reason to make scenery and play games.
Create table maps for a 1st Battle of St. Albans campaign.
Create scenery for a Blore Heath scenario.

And who knows what else I might come up with along the way.

Offline Realjuan

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
  • Always learning
« Reply #18 on: May 01, 2020, 07:02:56 PM »
First day didnt go as good as expected, but I still manage to get a general idea of how many models I have, and how many paints. Sadly a lot of paints should be thrown away, mistakes that I did when I first started painting. Live and learn.
Trading Orcs for Empire
"Gratitude is a duty which ought to be paid, but which none have a right to expect" Jean Jacque Rousseau

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #19 on: May 01, 2020, 08:48:51 PM »
Yes, I need to get cracking on those paints too! And that is going to happen today for me as my starting project for the hobby. :::cheers:::

Offline Midaski

• Sunny Sussex, England
  • Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #20 on: May 01, 2020, 09:51:22 PM »
First day didnt go as good as expected, but I still manage to get a general idea of how many models I have, and how many paints. Sadly a lot of paints should be thrown away, mistakes that I did when I first started painting. Live and learn.

Wait - open the pot - put in a little water and leave it for a day or so.
Then see if it will stir up - you can add more water.

The water should soak into the dried out paint., and you can reclaim them quite often.

I use one of those plastic medicine double-ended spoons.  It dispenses 5ml from the small end and 10ml from the large end.
Depending on how much paint is in the pot you can use either end.
You can be 'generous' with the water - if your paint ends up a bit thin, then you can just do more coats.

Cheaper than buying new paints.

I am tempted to join you guys - I have done a variety of bits for the last 3 days running, but not sure if I want to make the long haul.
First real order of priority is setting up a photo account - GP and Steg suggested Wordpress and a couple of others have said Imgur - if I can sort that out this weekend I might give it a go.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2020, 09:54:22 PM by Midaski »
Quote from: Gneisenau
Metal to Finecast - It is mostly a swap of medium. 

You mean they will be using Ouija boards instead of Tarot cards for their business plans from now on?

Offline Artobans Ghost

• Bar Brawlers
  • Members
« Reply #21 on: May 01, 2020, 09:59:44 PM »
The way I feel after this week, which will include the weekend as well, all I see is that wine wagon Padre. Get it finished fast and ready for dispensing 😺

Going to work on some of my dwarfs (longbeard standins) just to say I started this project doing something 😺
Questions?

GP Jan 4, 2020

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #22 on: May 01, 2020, 10:15:18 PM »

I am tempted to join you guys - I have done a variety of bits for the last 3 days running, but not sure if I want to make the long haul.
First real order of priority is setting up a photo account - GP and Steg suggested Wordpress and a couple of others have said Imgur - if I can sort that out this weekend I might give it a go.
Last weekend I got onto my old Wordpress site.  Succeeded in uploading pictures, and had a friend review with me how to get those pictures on to the posts of my website, and on to a site like W-E.  So hopefully as this 100 Days of Hobby proceeds I'll be able to get some photos going too!

- - - - - -

Getting dinner, and then heading for those paints to get them reviewed and organized.  Might even sneak in some painting tonight, but we'll see how things go.  I'm also leaning towards getting some WFB figures out, sorted, and start reviewing what projects I want to make some head way on with those.  I think this is going to be a bit about going with the flow of what I get motivated to do, and as certain items peak my interest, full speed ahead I will go.

• Members
« Reply #23 on: May 02, 2020, 12:12:20 AM »
So I'll tally up my workings I managed to do. So here goes..

Week 1
May 1st:
- Started making a reference sheet of the Salamanders for Benthe to cope with all the rules (in dutch with keeping the english names), did the overal rules and a first unit and let her review it.
- Painted some more Salamanders with Benthe, she did some bases in red as foundation for the lava and I put on a first layer of the lighter green on 1 Inceptor and glued another to its flying stand
- Painted the Noxious Blightbringer to an almost finished stage

Offline Naitsabes

• Members
  • Never slid
« Reply #24 on: May 02, 2020, 12:30:19 AM »
you guys are crazy! in a good way  :eusa_clap:

only 99 days to go. Keep it up.
The Empire Road to Volganof Last update 18Mar2023 - Pistoliers & Baggage train)