home

Author Topic: My Ostland army  (Read 42250 times)

Offline Durloth

• Members
My Ostland army
« on: September 18, 2013, 09:21:19 PM »
Greetings!

I've been working on an Ostland army for about a year now. This will be my third Empire army, but hopefully the first one I finish. I'm mostly a tournament player, but as I'm pretty happy with the performance of my Ogres, I'm building this army without any list or style in mind.
Since the release of the new book, I've yet to meet an Empire infantryman who wasn't carrying a bow and protecting a mage, so to try and break the mold (and because it is how an Empire army is supposed to look IMO) I have started out with warmachines and infantry, but over time I plan on adding some cavalry.

The year is 2520. Beastmen raids out of the Forest of Shadows have been more frequent and the foul things of the woods have become less and less afraid of retribution. Scouts have reported eerie lights around Brass Keep and amongst the brigands and outlaws, the name "Archaon" is whispered in hushed tongues.
The cities and towns of Ostland have responded with building up their armise and training the common folks and forming them into militias.
In the heavily fortified town of Bohsenfels several of the gate companies have been boosted with fresh recruits and have started launching retilatory actions against the aggressive beastmen and marauding bands of bandits

I imagine my army to have been raised right at the brink of the Storm of Chaos. I chose the city of Bohsenfels, because it was one of the very few cities in Ostland that didn't fall to the forces of darkness. No that the invaders wouldn't be able to take it, if they tried hard enough, but the defenders was able to hold it long enough that the Chaos forces ended up bypassing it for more important objectives further south.

I had been considering starting a new Empire army for a while, as I have always loved the fluff and aesthetics. When Forge World released Lietpold the Black, there was no turning back. I absolutely had to paint him- and of course build an army around him (or Graf Otto von Bohsenfels, as he is known in my army).

Edgar Skomorowskis miniatures may not he the most flowing and dynamic ones, and he may have a penchant for overloading them a bit when it comes to decorative details, but overall I think he must be one of the best miniature sculptors ever. I have his warrior priest sitting on my desk and my fingers are totally itching to get started with it.

Like every group of five or more soldiers of the Empire, mine also had to have a Steam Tank. I reckon here must be about as many Steam Tanks in the Empire as there are prostitutes and seamstresses.

The name "Eisen Hammer" may not be the most imaginative, but I'm very limited in what German names I can give my models or units, as the names have to be approved by my German wife, who thinks just about anything I come up with "sounds too nazi". I can absolutely understand the concern, but I for one thinks "Panzer faust" sounds much, much cooler- and would make a good black metal reference.

My venerable Lv. 4 light wizard:

I had real trouble with the white balance here (The background is a white sheet of paper) and I noticed too late how much dust the miniature had collected on top of my child and cat safe Warhammer-locker. Absolutely lovely model though. It doesn't come off in the pictures, but for any Norwegian readers out there, I based his face on one of the last portrait photographies of the late singer Odd Børretzen. Also tried painting the book to look like he is looking up the Lore of Light in the BRB, but didn't quite have the skills to pull it off.

I'll be adding more over the coming days, weeks and months. Any C&C are more than welcome as I'm trying to improve both my painting and photography. I'm especially interested in improving my metals, as I find them really hard and will have to paint lots of it. 

Thank you for looking!

« Last Edit: February 05, 2014, 08:40:44 AM by Durloth »

Offline Zak

• Members
  • Mad Viking
    • Mad Viking
Re: Bohsenfels Abwehr Kompanie II
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2013, 09:28:10 PM »
 :::cheers::: nice army dude  :::cheers:::
Yes I'm dyslexic so what

Offline Durloth

• Members
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2013, 09:40:10 PM »
Thanks!

Offline OttoVonBlotto

• Members
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2013, 10:23:14 PM »
What model is the wizard?

Love the tank, real gritty feel!

Offline Siberius

• Members
  • The Minotaur Cat
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2013, 12:39:30 AM »
The tank is really really nice but the general is magnificent. Best paint choice on him I have seen thus far.
Quote from: PhillyT
Magic does not have nearly the same problems with power levels as magic. 

Offline valmir

• Members
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2013, 03:56:42 AM »
Really stunning work.

(and "Panzer Faust" does sound pretty Nazi. But so does "Eisen Hammer". I think the solution to your limitation here is to go with something like "Kuschelkatze")
Quote from: rufus sparkfire
I'm pretty sure the dwarfs are carved from refined suck. I'd rather build an army out of lego.

Offline somegeezer

• Members
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2013, 09:06:38 AM »
Wow! I especially love that light wizard. So much character in model and paintjob.
My Middenheim plog:
http://warhammer-empire.com/theforum/index.php?topic=45674.0

Sporadic ramblings about wargaming (not just Warhammer):
http://wgrevival.wordpress.com/

Offline Fidelis von Sigmaringen

• Members
  • Attorney-at-RAW
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2013, 09:12:50 AM »
(and "Panzer Faust" does sound pretty Nazi. But so does "Eisen Hammer". I think the solution to your limitation here is to go with something like "Kuschelkatze")

Not to mention "Abwehr" (even though it was established as Abteilung in 1928).
It is not enough to have no ideas of your own; you must also be incapable of expressing them.
Sex, lies and manuscripts: The History of the Empire as Depicted in the Art of the Time (10/07/16)

Offline SorenJ

• Members
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2013, 10:35:47 AM »
Leitpolds armour is stunning!  :eusa_clap:

Is it non-metalic or is it heavy use of weathering powder that makes it look so .. well cool?

Offline Durloth

• Members
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2013, 09:11:03 PM »
@OttoVonBlotto (Love the nick BTW): Thank you! The wizard is a Gamezone mini called "The Venerable Thaumaturge" http://gamezoneminiatures.de/erhabener-thaumaturge.html

@Siberius: Thank you very much for the kind words:

@Valmis and Fidelis: I kind of agree and understand how it is a touchy subject and something that would be quite easily avoided, by simply giving stuff English names (like the wife would prefer), but I think German names are so much more in keeping with the feel of the Empire. I frankly didn't know about the "Abwehr"-nazi link. Both me and the wife are historians, but as none of us have any interest in modern warfare or have worked much with post WWI history, these kinds of details are far outside my field. Will change the name of the army (and topic) right away!

@SorenJ: Thank you! I'm glad to hear you liked it, as I think it is probably the best metals I have painted. Like I mentioned earlier metals are probably what I find hardest to paint and something I hope very much to improve over my time working with  the army. The "metal coclred metals" are simply Boltgun metal with loads of purple and green washes, then lifted up with Vallejo metallic medium. The golden metal is made by mixing Mithril Silver and a yellowish brown GW color whose name escapes me at the moment, then washed with purple and Vallejo Verdigris mixed with a little Goblin Green.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2013, 09:15:14 PM by Durloth »

Offline Durloth

• Members
Re: My Ostland army
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2013, 09:25:19 PM »
Here is my mortar (which I guess won't see too much action until we get a new book). I have painted a whole artillery battery, but taking and editing the (still quite poor) pictures is taking some time.

I have always loved the Leonardo miniature and was very happy to get an excause to paint him up. The guy lofting the cannonball is another of my all time favorites. So expressive and in situ. I painted his face based on a weight lifter I found online, but kind of think I mostly succeeded in making him look like he is on the toilet... 

Offline Darknight

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
  • Dipped in Magic, Clothed in Science
« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2013, 09:36:15 PM »
Black, there was no turning back.

This is a common refrain.

Excellent looking models - really great stuff!
Completed Projects | History of Ophelia VII

Quote from: PhillyT
Everyone finds their balance between satisfaction and obsession.

Offline Zujara

• Members
« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2013, 04:30:25 AM »
Great looking models, I really like your light wizard!

Offline harv

• Members
  • success from discipline, productivity from panic
« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2013, 07:21:49 AM »
Every time I see that wizard model it makes me wish GW would re-make their mounted wizards. Love the look of the army so far  :-)
My "house rule" for AoS is "we're not playing that shit in my house!"

Offline Durloth

• Members
« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2013, 05:23:08 PM »
Black, there was no turning back.

This is a common refrain.
Good one!
@Zujara: Thank you!

@Harv: Thanks! I would also like to see new mounted wizards, but I can't imagine they would sell very well under the current rules.

This is my take on an oldish mini called Rutger, General of the Empire that was released with the Idol of Gork campaign. His nemesis Grotfang was my first "properly" painted mini back in ca. 1999 and was a very valuable ally in my Dark Elf army back in 5th ed. so painting up Rutger now felt a bit like coming full circle.

Offline Durloth

• Members
Re: My Ostland army [Master engineer and Witch Hunter]
« Reply #15 on: September 25, 2013, 07:45:30 PM »
Time for another update. Nothing spectacular tonight I'm afraid. I love both minis, but my muted scehme (combined with pictures of less than great quality) does not really do the brilliant sculpts justice. They may get some areas of brighter colors at some point.

C&C are always more then welcome:)
« Last Edit: September 25, 2013, 07:52:13 PM by Durloth »

Offline Zak

• Members
  • Mad Viking
    • Mad Viking
« Reply #16 on: September 28, 2013, 11:46:51 AM »
 :::cheers::: nice models , love the Rutgar General model  :::cheers:::
Yes I'm dyslexic so what

Offline jimbeanie

• Members
« Reply #17 on: September 29, 2013, 09:54:30 AM »
Sh*t the bed! There is some amazing painting on this thread. Rutgar particularly.

Offline LarsRock

• Members
« Reply #18 on: September 29, 2013, 10:24:53 AM »
The mud/rust effect on the Stank is really cool, good work  :::cheers:::
Behold as Rome burns, as do I
´Tis not the last empire to crumble

Offline Durloth

• Members
« Reply #19 on: September 29, 2013, 07:50:23 PM »
Thanks guys! :smile2:

I suddenly got a new job and had to move across the whole country. I've got a couple of minis in my luggage, but don't know how much time I'll have for painting the coming weeks, while I get settled.

Offline OttoVonBlotto

• Members
« Reply #20 on: September 29, 2013, 08:37:08 PM »
Great work, I love Rutgar's rosey cheeks.

Offline Mogsam

• Members
  • Resident Jewish Panda
« Reply #21 on: October 02, 2013, 08:28:00 PM »
I like the stubble! There should be more shaving and the consequences in warhammer!
Curse you and your ability to stay within the lines.

Offline Durloth

• Members
« Reply #22 on: October 02, 2013, 08:47:54 PM »
Great work, I love Rutgar's rosey cheeks.

Hehe! Thanks! He eats his spinach. That's what gives him his healthy glow.

@Mogsam: Thanks for noticing! I have always loved stubble on minis. I think it really makes them come more alive. Sadly it's quite hard to do well and I haven't mastered it yet, but I am making progress.

Two more artillery pieces:

When making crews for my artillery pieces, I have tried to make them into three tiers. One guy doing most of the physical labor. He will be a low ranking member of the army, thus will wear some livery color but often be in his shirt sleeves as he is doing a lot of heavy lifting and such. Then comes the artillery man. He will be a higher ranking member of the army and be more or less uniformed. Then comes the engineer. This is a wealthy and well educated freeman who have hired his services to the army. Thus he will often wear some black and white to show his allegiance to his current employer, but will also often show off his wealth and status with rich velvets and golden chains.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2013, 08:51:21 PM by Durloth »

Offline DariusZero

• Members
  • I'm a non native speaker from Mars and I bite.
« Reply #23 on: October 02, 2013, 09:18:58 PM »
Not bad, but try Picassa for photo editing, your pics are ab it too dark.
One of the big wigs... once told them "If a household doesn't have an income of $70,000, we don't consider them a GW target customer."
MyEmpireBlog: http://warhammer-empire.com/theforum/index.php?topic=33477.0

Offline Durloth

• Members
« Reply #24 on: October 11, 2013, 06:23:11 PM »
Not bad, but try Picassa for photo editing, your pics are ab it too dark.

I think the problem lies with my objective not taking in enough light for such close up photos. The photos look this dark after having been brightened as much as I could without totally messing up the colors in Gimp. I have a lightbox and have tried shining about 200w of fluorecents at it without even worse results, so these pictures are all taken i daylight.

At least, there is nothing wrong with the resolution:

Next guys up: Eisen Wald:

Really loved painting these. The old plastics are brilliant (if a pain to clean up with all those mold lines) and I got to dig deep in my bitz box for many of my favorite human heads.