home

Author Topic: Reikland on the Return - Updated 2-21-12  (Read 52452 times)

Offline Michael W

• Members
  • In the Name of the Emperor since 2001
Reikland on the Return - Updated 2-21-12
« on: July 06, 2010, 01:21:54 AM »
So after a long while of rotting in the closet while armies like 40k Salamanders, LotR Gondor, and even meager Reaper minis received the loving affection of my brushes, the Empire is at last up on the "wow my painting has improved since I last touched these" list.  With 8th Edition due and some new folks to game with, I'm aiming to bring these Reiklanders and their friends back into the light with pride.

The closet bears considerable work - two full regiments of spearmen, two of swordsmen, halberdier detachments, artillery, knights, and even pikes are on the "to-do" list.  But here's what we've got up-and-running so far...

First up is the Arch Lector...the Valten model still has its uses, fortunately.   :happy:

Then several Captains - on the left is the Artillery Captain, on the right is one of several vanilla Captains, and the one in the middle leads the Altdorf Spearmen into battle.

Here's another Captain, this one ready to lead a contingent of cavalry into combat.

As long as we're on officers, here's a pair of wizards - representing the Gold and Jade colleges.

And several more, these Wizards of Beasts, Heavens, and Shadow.  Three more to go and I'll have all the colleges represented!

Finally, on to the troops.  First up, Reikland Swordsmen.  5 out of thirty done so far.

And their militia - Archers and Free Companies.  There are about 30 of each of these groups, which used to be plenty.  Used to.

The fearsome Carroburg Greatswords...5 done, 10 to go.  My 30-man Greatsword unit is getting broken into two 15-man units, so this half will be Carroburg and the other half more traditional Reiklanders.

...and the more-feared Steam Tank.  Well, not so scary anymore, I guess.

Of non-Reiklanders, the army sports a contingent of Handgunners from Nuln to supplement its firepower.  I have sixty more handgunners lying around, so there will be several Reiklander contingents and a Bogenhafen one as well.

And a contingent of Spearmen from Altdorf, with detachments, are also assigned to the army.  23 Spearmen are done (7 more to do); 9 halberdiers (need to bolster that) and 5 handgunners (need to do 5 more).

And that's about it for now.  Thoughts, comments, and criticism welcome.  Much more to come as it gets completed.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2012, 10:19:45 PM by Michael W »
Let them taste Reikland steel!
----------------------------

Offline Zak

• Members
  • Mad Viking
    • Mad Viking
Re: Reikland on the Return
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2010, 01:29:07 AM »
 :::cheers:::cool army man!!
Yes I'm dyslexic so what

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
  • Happy Spring! : )
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2010, 02:23:54 AM »
Good to see these.  I like the overall flavor, and glad you're getting back into being active. :eusa_clap: :::cheers:::
"Not all who wander are lost ... " Tolkien

"... my old suggestion is forget it, take two aspirins and go paint" steveb

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

"Until death it is all life." Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra

Offline Dosiere

• Members
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2010, 04:12:05 AM »
Looking really good, I look forward to seeing these done.    I particularly like the Altdorf Captain.

Is that the old metal Steam Tank btw?  I have never owned one, but it looks a bit different from what i usually see.

Offline Wendersnaven

• Members
  • Kung Fu Dice
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2010, 04:19:47 AM »
Everyone has a painting style and I like the 'crisp' coloring. Heck, any painted models look good to me but it looks like to took a lot of time to "color in-between the lines."   I know it's Reikland, but the awesome captain in the middle should be nicknamed Captain America.  :happy:
Dear Friend of Stirland,

Your shoes have been put on backorder. We appreciate your custom.

Hope we are finding you shod,
Stirland

Offline Michael W

• Members
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2010, 04:57:43 AM »
Thanks for the comments.   :happy:  Yeah, it's the old metal beast.  One of the two that I have - heavily puttied (the sides never fit together correctly) and with a replacement Engineer in command.  The other one's been converted as a Vampire Count Black Coach...if I get around to showing off some of that army I'll post it sometime.

Offline BAWTRM

• Members
  • The Netherlands
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2010, 06:15:12 AM »
Is that the old metal Steam Tank btw?  I have never owned one, but it looks a bit different from what i usually see.

It's hardly that old! I've got the metal version that came prior to that one!

Anyway, nice going Michael W, good mix of Reikland and Altdorf. Will you add a little Bögenhafen contingent?
"...granted it isn't as retarded as having a lady popping out of your head holding a cup while humping a boar with a sword through its back, but there can only be one Brettonia."

PhillyT

Offline General Tomerix Rotenkopf

• Members
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2010, 01:13:54 PM »
I LOVE THIS ARMY IN CAPITAL LETTERS!!! :Ohmy:
Hobbits are stupid, Talabecs are thieves and Averlanders reek of horse shit.

Offline Michael W

• Members
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2010, 03:33:35 PM »
Bogenhafen will be represented with a contingent of Swordsmen and Detachments, once I get the Reikland Swordsmen and some (of those way-too-many) Handgunners done.  Any other official Reiklander color schemes I should get into this army?

Offline BAWTRM

• Members
  • The Netherlands
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2010, 08:10:20 AM »
Carroburg springs to mind, but fluff wise it's only their Greatswords that have a different colour scheme I believe.

The fortress of Helmgart might have it's own colours but I don't know what those are.
"...granted it isn't as retarded as having a lady popping out of your head holding a cup while humping a boar with a sword through its back, but there can only be one Brettonia."

PhillyT

Offline FR1DAY

• Members
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2010, 08:36:22 AM »
Carroburg is in Middenland
There are 40 different shades of black, so many fortresses and ways to attack.

So why you complaining!

• Members
« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2010, 10:09:13 AM »
Very nice paint job on the Altdorfers, too..... :biggriin:

Offline wissenlander

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
  • The original Graf of Brennenburg
« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2010, 12:42:19 PM »
Yeah, beyond the ones you already have I don't know if there are any more official colors.  You can always make them up if you so desire.  If you do, have a detachment from Ubersreik.  I've always 'liked' that place since the Battlemasters days.

And it's good to see you back, Michael. :::cheers:::
Me and Wissenlander had babies!

not together.

finding photographic evidense that Wiss smiles is going to be hard...

Offline Michael W

• Members
« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2010, 07:44:16 PM »
Maybe I should paint the Battlemasters Cannon crew in Ubersreik colors?  :)  Since I'm breaking up the Dogs of War, those Merc Cannons are going to be Empire soon anyway...

5 Reiklander Greatswords finished.  I'm sort of hopping around, painting bits of units here and there as the fancy strikes me - in alternation with sets of 5 Reikland Swordsmen.  Hopefully sometime next week I'll have the 30 Swordsmen unit done. 

Current projects are (of course) 5 Swordsmen and 7 Altdorf Spearmen (to fill out that unit to 30 men).  After that I'll probably do a few Pistoliers (6th Edition metals) and Altdorf Halberdiers.  The goal is to have the Altdorf regiment - 30 Spearmen, 15 Halberdiers, and 10 Handgunners - done by the end of July, as well as 30 Reikland Swordsmen and all 10 Pistoliers.  Some Reikland handgunners are a bit of a special project that may or may not work its way in there as well.

Thanks for the thoughts thus far...further comments always welcome. 

Offline Silver Wolf

• Members
  • I see lead people.
« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2010, 08:11:06 PM »
Wow ! Those are some of the best greatswords I've ever seen...
I wish I could paint mine with the same level of detail ...
"Watch the skies, traveler."
Check out my wargaming blog - The Forge of War

Offline newach

• Members
« Reply #15 on: July 09, 2010, 01:37:14 AM »
Those Greatswords are awesome!
One day I will have a painted army... one day

• Members
« Reply #16 on: July 09, 2010, 10:34:49 AM »
Yes great Greatswords! Love the shiny armour, many people paint armours very dark these days (whish I also like), good to see some really classic shining armour!

Offline Grudgie

• Members
  • Teenneessee
« Reply #17 on: July 10, 2010, 04:58:26 PM »
Really nice. How do you paint your white cloth? Is that just skull white and devlan mud?

Offline peraturabo

• Members
« Reply #18 on: July 10, 2010, 06:50:18 PM »
your core troops are actuaslly looking far better than your heroes :)

Offline Michael W

• Members
« Reply #19 on: July 10, 2010, 07:58:20 PM »
your core troops are actuaslly looking far better than your heroes :)
Well thanks, I think.  For myself, I'd rather have a good-looking army led by mediocre heroes than the other way around.  That said, it's also due to the fact that most of my heroes were painted before the Core troops that I'm working on now.   :happy:

Really nice. How do you paint your white cloth? Is that just skull white and devlan mud?
Graveyard earth (over black, it goes on thicker...many of my jobs are repaints, though, so it gets watered down when going over paler colors).  Then the model is layered with Bleached Bone, and then highlighted with Skull White.

New pictures!  Not stuff newly painted, but I'm breaking up my Dogs of War army, so a bunch of that is moving over, and I found a couple of models I missed earlier as well.

First up, a whole slew of formerly-mercenary knights...now probably respectable Imperial Orders, I suppose.  Here's the Lion Guard of Caius Antollli:

And the Brotherhood of the White Hawk

And the Order of the Silver Circlet (yes, those are Battlemasters Knights mixed in there...).

A Death Wizard who managed to slip through the cracks earlier...

Here's a couple of Mercenary Heroes who will be finding a new home in my Empire forces:

And a regiment that is half done....these mercenary pikemen have abandoned their Bretonnia lords in favor of coin and drink.

A Reiklander General is probably a good thing to have around.  Here he is from two sides:

Finally, a regiment that needs a bit of touching up but remains one of my all-time favorites.  Margut and his Irongut ogre brethren were hired to fight against an Empire army and, during the battle, were impressed with a single regiment of the enemy troops that didn't flee at first sight of them.  Now, from an ogre's perspective, a Greatswordsman is pretty much a long, straight piece of steel and a big, floppy hat with feathers...so...

Currently I'm finishing up my 7 Altdorf Spearmen...hopefully I'll have pics of the finished regiment early next week.  And the Reikland swordsmen are half done!  Thanks for the comments, it's very encouraging to have replies...

Offline peraturabo

• Members
« Reply #20 on: July 10, 2010, 08:29:05 PM »
they look awesome
please redo your first heroes,as now you can paint amazingly good

Offline Michael W

• Members
« Reply #21 on: July 10, 2010, 09:18:28 PM »
I fear the camera is a little generous to my painting.  My general goal is to not be ashamed on the tabletop, but I know I'm far below the quality of some folks around here.

Offline newach

• Members
« Reply #22 on: July 11, 2010, 02:17:01 AM »
I love those Ironguts!!!
One day I will have a painted army... one day

Offline Midaski

• Sunny Sussex, England
  • Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #23 on: July 11, 2010, 11:12:01 AM »
There is something about your units that does stand out. As you say there are some fantastic painters around, but there is a uniqueness with most of your stuff.

I particularly like the knights - the 2nd and 3rd pics are very good, the first one with the halved blue and white suffers from the picture being taken head-on - I'd like to see them slightly angled.
Quote from: Gneisenau
Metal to Finecast - It is mostly a swap of medium. 

You mean they will be using Ouija boards instead of Tarot cards for their business plans from now on?

Offline Silver Wolf

• Members
  • I see lead people.
« Reply #24 on: July 11, 2010, 11:39:42 AM »
About those Battlemasters Knights... Where did you get them ? I can't find their site on the net...
"Watch the skies, traveler."
Check out my wargaming blog - The Forge of War