home

Author Topic: Hi from a newbie and my deep dive into WFB. . .  (Read 65923 times)

Offline KTG17

• Members
Re: Hi from a newbie and my deep dive into WFB. . .
« Reply #75 on: July 31, 2019, 11:10:09 PM »
Yeah I don’t think everything will fit on a chariot base no matter what I do. I was anticipating not using he slots for the horses too. Either I extend the chariot base with a single cavalry base sideways, or extended it with a 50mm square base. The thing is I prefer that it fits as nicely as other chariots fit on their bases, so not so big and not so small.

Btw, are you guys basing your artillery? I have a single 75mm-50mm base which is perfect for the Great Cannon, but I don’t know what it was originally for and I am not finding any units that would have used it. It’s a GW base tho.

The thing is that basing the artillery is a double sword... the machine looks like it’s part of a diorama, but the crew doesn’t always fit well on it or near it, and I def don’t want to attach them to the machine’s base.

I figure if I am basing everyone else I might as well do them too.

Offline KTG17

• Members
« Reply #76 on: August 01, 2019, 12:57:05 AM »
Ok I created a flickr account and I hate it. Might move on to something else soon, but in the meantime... here is a quick pic of my collection:

The great thing about the battalion boxes is that they hold most of the army until and after I build them. And if I got an army in a starter set, I am just using the starter set, so not buying a High Elf Battalion set for example.

Edit: Oh yeah, while I am at it, here is the Runesmith I was talking about.

Now, when I got the Battle for Skull Pass and Ravening Hordes, I realized that the set came with 12 Dwarf Warriors and 8 Miners, which didn't make any sense to me. So I went shopping for a couple of more Miners to meet the 10 minimum, and was lucky to score three miners with their Standard Bearer on Ebay for cheap. I didn't have any use at the time for the Standard Bearer, but I got the idea later to try and convert the last miner into the Runesmith using part of the standard from the Standard Bearer, to make some kind of staff thing. I don't know what I was doing, but this is what I came up with. Oh I also swapped helmets with one of the left over warriors I had since I only wanted 10. I will eventually add some more bits left over from my Iron Breakers set when I figure out what I don't need. Maybe a shield or something slung over his back. With an axe of course.

Anything to save a few bucks... go easy on me.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2019, 01:11:44 AM by KTG17 »

Offline Fidelis von Sigmaringen

• Members
  • Attorney-at-RAW
« Reply #77 on: August 01, 2019, 07:31:04 AM »
You can use an old CD-disc to base war machines on. It should fit all models, and can serve as a reminder that war machines do not have flanks or a rear.
It is not enough to have no ideas of your own; you must also be incapable of expressing them.
Sex, lies and manuscripts: The History of the Empire as Depicted in the Art of the Time (10/07/16)

Offline KTG17

• Members
« Reply #78 on: August 01, 2019, 11:13:30 AM »
Oh wait, I have a band saw. I am just going to slice the monster base right down the middle length-wise, trim off the excess areas, and re-attach the pieces. The Black Coach itself will help anchor everything together giving it support! Will work on this this weekend and post some pics. I worry though 150mm might be too long.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2019, 11:20:45 AM by KTG17 »

Offline Warlord

• Global Moderator
  • Members
  • Sydney, Australia
« Reply #79 on: August 01, 2019, 02:03:15 PM »
I love the Runesmith. Kitbashes like that are great fun.

125 is about right. 150 might be too long.
Quote from: Gneisenau
I hate people who don't paint their armies, hate them with all my guts. Beats me how they value other things over painting, like eating or brushing teeth.

Offline KTG17

• Members
« Reply #80 on: August 01, 2019, 05:33:51 PM »
Thanks!

So I have decided to go with the absolute minimum unit size for all my armies based on Ravening Hordes. I hope this balances things out better. This means I have some shuffling around to do, because I want all of my units to have command models. I know this was raised a few posts ago about letting some units go without them, but because the 7th and 8th Starter sets all came with them, I don’t want some armies to have units with standards for example, and other armies not to. Even if it seems pointless, like with Empire Handgunners. And the truth is, I think the units look 1000 times better with a standard and so on than without. Especially when they are different. Really gives them character.

So looking over my Skaven, I am going to split the 2 20-model units into 4 10-model units. The only problem is that I don’t have extra command models for them, but I was lucky enough to find a bits seller on eBay who supplied me with 4 Clanrats and the gear to make the 2 Standards and 2 Musicians I need. I also picked up a single Plague Bearer to make a custom Plague Priest just for kicks. Also, since I can only have one unit of Stormvermin and I am knocking them down to 10, I picked up 10 Plaguebearers on sprues. I was debating buying a box of 20 from the WFB days but I am glad I didn’t. The bits seller really saved me some money.

And wherever in my lists I have 20 Skeletons or Zombies, they are going to be units of 10 now.

Offline Warlord

• Global Moderator
  • Members
  • Sydney, Australia
« Reply #81 on: August 02, 2019, 02:30:57 AM »
Personally, I dont think its a great idea gameplay wise. Have said it a bunch. The Ravening Hordes were made before they understood the implication of the 6th edition ruleset compared to 5th. The elite armies will win almost all the time.

That said, are these armies going to go on display more than be played?
If so, do what you like! I know the photo before had boxes in a cupboard, but once they are painted if you put them on display or create some diaramas it will look great.
I hate people who don't paint their armies, hate them with all my guts. Beats me how they value other things over painting, like eating or brushing teeth.

Offline KTG17

• Members
« Reply #82 on: August 02, 2019, 11:27:04 AM »
Unfortunately I don’t have a lot of space for displaying. I do have two curio-like cabinets in my home office that I use for displaying, but it’s stuffed with a ton of other stuff. Imagine how I am with WFB and throw in a couple of dozen other interests.

And the pic of the shelves show the bottom 3 shelves I installed in a closet. There are 7 shelves above it stuffed with a ton more crap including other games to old Japanese anime model kits.

My goal is to have a shitload to do when I retire.  :icon_rolleyes:

Offline KTG17

• Members
« Reply #83 on: August 02, 2019, 11:28:50 AM »
What is an elite army anyway. If everything is assigned a point value, if a unit is worth twice that of another, then it should have half the number of troops... assuming that it’s all balanced, and I was told 6th + RH really was.

Offline Fidelis von Sigmaringen

• Members
  • Attorney-at-RAW
« Reply #84 on: August 02, 2019, 11:37:32 AM »
I cannot recall anyone saying that about 6th + RH, although it may be correct compared to the 5th so-called Herohammer edition. From personal experience, I can say that the 6th edition as a whole (BRB + ABs) was fairly balanced. Indeed, I would argue that the main imbalance was how most special characters were priced (i.e. prohibitively expensive!). 
It is not enough to have no ideas of your own; you must also be incapable of expressing them.
Sex, lies and manuscripts: The History of the Empire as Depicted in the Art of the Time (10/07/16)

Offline KTG17

• Members
« Reply #85 on: August 04, 2019, 07:11:26 PM »
I had some time today to work on my Black Coach base. Even though I don't plan on building anything for the Vampire Counts for a long time, I just wanted to get everything I need for when that time comes, and the base issue for the Black Coach was bothering me.

So would it be chopping up the 150mm by 100mm base to make a 50mm by 100mm base? Or could I just attached a cavalry base to the end of a chariot base and call it a day? Well, the cavalry base isn't quite the same width when lined up with the chariot base, and the model looks like it wouldn't fit anyway. So had to try modifying the monster base instead.

I only have a couple of monster bases and decided to use the one in roughest shape for this in case I messed it up.

First I sliced it down the middle.

If you don't own a band saw, I highly recommend them. I have a Miter and Table saw as well, but I use the band for a ton of things.

After going down the middle, I trimmed more off from the inside. I want to keep the original sloped edges as nice as possible so it looks like every other base I have, so that is why I am doing this.

Here we are with the inside parts removed. Its pretty close to the chariot base in width, and at this point I figured I would just sand down rather than try trimming. Don't want to push my luck.

I glued together the halves with a mix of liquid model and super glue, and was amazed how well it bonded. I was afraid I would have to reinforce it from underneath it but really didn't want to. No one is going to see underneath it but me but it would drive me nuts. Then I filled the cracks with contour putty and sanded the line down.

Not an exact match in width but I was like screw it. I didn't want to sand anymore. I put a light coat of paint on it to see if there are any major imperfections but I all looks pretty good.

Not perfect, but nothing I do is. When I add some texture and paint it prob wont even know what I did. It feels solid and once the model is glued to the base, it will give it extra support. Very happy this all worked out pretty nicely.

In other news, I picked up the plastic set of Dark Elf Executioners/Black Guard of Naggarond. They weren't on my list of things to get but I saw the set and loved the Black Guard. I think the Dark Elves are a great looking army. If they would just get rid of that stupid skull. None of my models or banners will be displaying those skulls.

And I am not going to lie, given the stuff GW just listed on their site for last chance, and how quickly it all went... I am just grabbing anything I might find interesting at this point, and I prefer plastic over metal, even though there is plenty of metal on eBay.

Finally, I got the bits for the Skaven and it turned out the seller only had one standard, and I thought of using one of the incoming Plague Bearer ones, but I discovered that my Stormvermin came with two, so I used one of those. I cut off the banner-ish like thing coming off the back of the flag and sanded it down to make it different and less imposing than the Stormvermin one. Going to trim off more of the banner as it’s a lot bigger than the others. So here are my four Skaven Standard Bearers:

I should note that the Stormvermin banner was held in the left hand so couldn’t use that, since the figure has his left hand molded closed to the body to hold a shield. So I had to use a right hand holding a spear. I cut away the spear and attached the top and bottom part of the poles to the hand.

These f***ers insprired me to finish building the rest of the Skaven that came in Island of Blood. This set was supposed to be 3rd on the list and I am not even done with the first, the 6th starter, but as you can see, I am all over the place.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2019, 08:02:36 PM by KTG17 »

Offline KTG17

• Members
« Reply #86 on: August 08, 2019, 12:33:05 AM »
Hi guys, some updates.

1) I got the Treeman model yesterday, and I was shocked how small the base is. I thought it was going on the 150mm by 100mm base, thinking it was a huge model, but it comes with a 75mm by 50mm one. So the model isn't as huge as I thought and I am excited about that. Prob still the biggest model I have for WFB.

2) I bought this lot on eBay:

I was hoping to salvage some bodies for Mordheim gangs and Empire army. I hate how my Swordsman models turned out, and I am essentially using leftover parts from the older Empire sets. I actually bought the newer Swordsman/Spearmen/Halberd kit some time ago, but I didn't think the design of the models went with the figures I already had, which I prefered. Its like the older models are more medieval, and the newer ones are more renaissance. And the newer feathers... not crazy about them. I will admit there are a lot of really cool newer Empire character models, but I am just not crazy about most of the rank and file and their cockatoo feathers. That's why I sold it. But I thought if I could get enough of the newer bodies from this lot, replace their arms with the older ones, I would have something in the middle. And since the have a better WS than your average joe, they are slightly elite-ish, so they are getting slightly better gear.

So anyway I also noticed that there was a lot of crossbow men so I thought about making a crossbow unit if I could.

Plus it came with the Empire General's horse, which I was really looking for. I plan on putting the general I already made on it.

So whoever painted these was a maniac and soaked them in black spray paint and added a lot of thick paint I had a hard time stripping. This might be one of the hardest times I have had getting paint off plastic. I know I could have bought all these from GW, but the lot was only $25 so it was saving me some money. This will probably be the last time I buy models that need stripping. I am just so sick of it.

So after a stupid amount of work, here is what I salvaged:

Some are in pretty crappy shape and still need to be separated, but some I just wont use them. But I have enough to really build up my Mordheim gangs, and make the swordsman and crossbow units I wanted.

In addition to the original sprues that game with Mordheim, I have all this too (in better condition) from another lot I bought sometime ago:

Hopefully will finish assembling the swordsman this weekend and will post pics when I am done. Essentially old heads, old arms, and old shields on new bodies.

AND! While I wasn't crazy about the newer feather hats on my Empire army, THEY ARE GOING TO BE PERFECT FOR MY MARIENBURG GANG! Very excited!

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
  • Happy Spring! : )
« Reply #87 on: August 08, 2019, 12:47:07 AM »
Loving the progress you're making here, well done! :eusa_clap: :::cheers:::
"Not all who wander are lost ... " Tolkien

"... my old suggestion is forget it, take two aspirins and go paint" steveb

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

"Until death it is all life." Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra

Offline KTG17

• Members
« Reply #88 on: August 09, 2019, 10:26:38 PM »
Thanks!

I said I would work on the swordsman this weekend and I lied. I just finished assembling them.

I used the best three of the new swordsman bodies for my Reikland gang, and used the remaining for my Empire swordsman. I didn't take any pics during assembly, but they looked pretty good when primed. Unfortunately I was recycling arms and heads from the swordsman I made previously, which were already primed, and I didn't want to add too many coats so I have to glue pre-primed pieces and it was a lot of fun.  :icon_rolleyes:  Btw I hate the standard bearer... he looks like a douche. I used the very last of my parts to make him awhile ago, but now that I have some of those new bits I will make a new version of him.

Here they are with my Empire General and his new horse. I just finished cleaning and repairing that horse as well. What a mess that horse was.

The shields do hide a lot of imperfections which is great. I have to be honest, I am stoked to use all leftover bits to make these guys, but had I known how important swordsman were in the beginning I prob would have used better parts. Nevertheless I hate waste and are happy I was able to even use these old shields that came in a lot some time ago, which I had no plans for. There is a mix of heads and I really try not to use the same head twice in a 10-man unit unless its wearing a helmet.

Now the General I am really happy with. When I first decided to get into Warhammer, the first starter set I got was 6th. I liked the options to make the captain (with the hat and with the helmet), but was bothered I didn't have the parts to make the same guy on a horse as well as on foot. My thought was, what if my general gets off his horse? At the time I didn't know the horse just improves your save. And when I asked about riders (at the time we were discussing monsters), I asked what happens to the rider if the monster is killed? You replace him with a foot soldier or something. Well, f--- that. That doesn't do it for me. I decided that all my army commanders would have the identical model on foot if I also had him on a mount. So this means tracking down additional parts and so on, like 2 High Elf Nobel sets, etc. So far its worked out nicely. For the Empire, I wanted my general based on this guy:

Who is on the side of the starter set.

So I got as many of the Empire command sprues as I could get. I also used the leftover parts to make the Captain looking guy on the horse on the back of the box, both on a mount and on foot. Don't know why I had to do this. I guess I like giving my armies a story, or having extra models for different scenarios and such. Anyway, I was really glad to get this horse, as while I liked the one that came in the starter a lot, it was also the same one I was using for my Captain and Knight Champion, and wanted something that really stood out.

So my General, on mount and on foot. Will attached the shields at some point.

I had to remove some of the saddle to get him to fit due to his coat. His coat also covers up some blemishes the guy before me made.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2019, 11:19:48 PM by KTG17 »

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #89 on: August 10, 2019, 12:32:23 AM »
I've always liked that kind of idea, congrats! :icon_cool: :::cheers::: :eusa_clap:

And the swordsmen look good too.

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

Offline KTG17

• Members
« Reply #90 on: August 10, 2019, 06:58:52 PM »
Thanks!

I am moving right along. Here are the crossbowmen:

These are the last of my Empire bits from what I had prior and then from that auction I won that I mention above. These are probably the lamest figures I have, but not bad considering they come from leftover bits. I still have some gaps to fill as you can see. I also only have so much flashy bits and I am saving those for my last unit, the Halberdiers. I figured these guys are like the least talented of the bunch and that us why they have been relegated to crossbows, so I left them as basic as I could.

I have to be honest, since my Handgunners are move or fire, and so are these, I am thinking a unit of bowmen would have been a more superior choice since they can move and fire.

On my list of things to do is finish off my Empire Knights (I actually did these first a while back, but made from a lot that someone else assembled and did a crappy job and I did the best that I could, but I ended up getting a ton of more parts in mint shape so going to to some part swapping), the Halberdiers, Great Cannon, Mortar, Wizard, and Captain, and that will be it for my Empire army. After that I plan on finishing my Orcs.

Speaking of Orcs... I bought the Rock Thrower. I didn't even need it but I got it for a good price. Like the crossbowmen, I guess its a nice to have. I am sure it will look nice on the gaming table.

« Last Edit: August 10, 2019, 07:02:14 PM by KTG17 »

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #91 on: August 10, 2019, 10:15:18 PM »
Yes! :icon_cool: :::cheers:::

Offline KTG17

• Members
« Reply #92 on: August 11, 2019, 10:34:22 PM »
I might have mentioned that the seller who sold me the Dwarf Gyrocopter sent my item late and threw in a couple of Dwarf sprues to make up for it. I thought I might be getting 10 dwarves, but they must be older ones since they had 4 dwarves each, and was incomplete, only giving me 6. I’ve decided to use these guys as the base for a Mordheim Dwarf treasure hunter gang.

That being said, when I organized my collection, I decided to finish off assembling my Battle of Skull Pass Set. I finished the dwarves some time ago but was having a hard time psyching myself up to finish the goblins. Well, I know I said I would concentrate on the Empire but just knocked off everything that came in that set. Welcome to my world. I have to admit I am not a crazy fan for either army, but the 7th edition set is a nice starter. Was this popular when it was released?

« Last Edit: August 13, 2019, 02:36:25 AM by KTG17 »

Offline Warlord

• Global Moderator
  • Members
  • Sydney, Australia
« Reply #93 on: August 12, 2019, 12:44:40 AM »
It was for many reasons.
The price was great for the number of models. Night goblins were pretty decent chaff in 7th edition IMO.
For a time, it was the only place you could get plastic dwarf miners.
Buy two boxes, one takes all the goblins, the other all the dwarves and you had a decent based of an army.

It also lended itself VERY nicely to a starter set for converting all the models into a chaos dwarf army.

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #94 on: August 12, 2019, 12:54:24 AM »
The goblins could be added to the orcs from the 6th edition set.

Offline Warlord

• Global Moderator
  • Members
  • Sydney, Australia
« Reply #95 on: August 12, 2019, 11:06:59 AM »
The goblins could be added to the orcs from the 6th edition set.

Correct. Which is actually what our friend here has done.

Offline KTG17

• Members
« Reply #96 on: August 12, 2019, 02:29:29 PM »
Yeah that was my initial plan, but now I have enough to field 1000 point armies for both. I keep buying Orc stuff even though I don't need it.  :eusa_wall:

Speaking of which, does anyone have a couple of plastic Orc Arer boys I can buy? I only need two. They are for Mordheim.

I can't emphasize enough how much the Battle of Skull Pass influenced my approach to collecting WFB. The make up of the armies set the template for how I went out for all the others. And it wasn't until I started getting the Battalion sets, and the fact they included more points each then the armies that came in Skull Pass, did I move on to setting the army size to 1000 (even though I have obviously gone past that for some armies). But for the most part, units size, command models, etc, everything I am doing is modelling after that set so everything is consistent. And I am using everything, unlike the 8th set, where I am not using the High Elf Griffon (its just a nice to have).

And I love terrain. I know Skull Pass doesn't include much but I think it adds a nice touch and goes a long way when you are first getting started. I actually don't like starter sets that do not include terrain. Even if they are cardboard, just include something. But I am happier going with less troops and some meaningful walls or something to block LOS than to just have a bunch of models and to leave all that up to me. But I also know I am a minority in this matter.

Also, I want to be sure I am doing the right thing here. I didn't realize that my Longbeards come with the option for hand weapon/shield or great weapon. I thought the models were just great weapons and RH only has the hand weapon/shield option. But I also have the Iron Breakers, who have hand weapons/shields too. So do my warriors. The Longbeards can be build as Hammerers, and they have great weapons too, and are in RH as well. Not crazy about the Hammerer models, but they are different. A lot of Dwarf stuff looks the same. The Miners have great weapons too tho. Is that too many great weapons for the size of my army? Some of my armies don't have any great weapons and I would be giving two units in my Dwarf army those weapons.

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #97 on: August 12, 2019, 02:49:00 PM »
Yes, terrain can be a nice touch to a starter set.

Offline KTG17

• Members
« Reply #98 on: August 13, 2019, 02:02:14 AM »
Okay so I mentioned that one of my standard bearers looked like a douche, and I wasn't crazy about some of the selection of heads for some of my crossbowmen, so I decided to try and do something about it and moved some heads around. One of the things I just did has me pretty excited.

This is a leftover Knight Champion head, with his head trimmed down, with a hat and feather I made from bits.

I intended it to be for one of my standard bearers, but it turned out his hat wouldn't fit properly with the flag in the way, so I swapped out one of the swordsman heads and put that head on the standard bearer's body. I love the new swordsman. Prob should have put the head on the champ, but he's just a line guy. Second row as a matter of fact. And on one of my least favorite bodies too lol. Pretty happy things have turned out.

Recipe:

1) New Empire Swordsman body
2) Empire Knight Champion head
3) Old Empire hat and feather
4) Old Empire Swordsman arms
5) Old Empire Shield
« Last Edit: August 13, 2019, 02:10:00 AM by KTG17 »

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #99 on: August 13, 2019, 07:11:11 AM »
Looks suitable! :eusa_clap: :::cheers:::