home

Author Topic: Ulfenkarn Revealed  (Read 8733 times)

Offline Jmash

• Members
  • Lancashire, UK
Re: Ulfenkarn Revealed
« Reply #25 on: February 22, 2021, 10:35:41 PM »
Lots of cool stuff in there, heroes are great and I'm liking a lot of the bad guys too, big Kislev vibes throughout.

Skellies are a little bit underwhelming if I'm honest, they look a bit like drag acts stumbling out of a nightclub, somebody clearly didn't like the idea of sculpting boney feet! Zombies are interesting but not sure on all the adornments, every one of them has a grave attached to it's shoulders? Sometimes less is more GW!

Anyway, on the whole it looks to be heading in a good direction, but like the rest of you guys I inevitably won't be impressed by the price!  :-P

Offline Warlord

• Global Moderator
  • Members
  • Sydney, Australia
« Reply #26 on: February 23, 2021, 11:24:52 PM »
If its $300 in au, that'll be $235 in US or there abouts.

- - - - - - - - - - - -

A video ... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z1Utm-5kU94

Not how GW do price conversion for our market unfortunately.

If its $235 US it will probably be $370 for us because they gouge us like crazy.
Quote from: Gneisenau
I hate people who don't paint their armies, hate them with all my guts. Beats me how they value other things over painting, like eating or brushing teeth.

Offline S.O.F

• Members
« Reply #27 on: February 23, 2021, 11:29:45 PM »
If its $235 US it will probably be $370 for us because they gouge us like crazy.

It's just paying back to the old home country the debts from the many petty crimes of Australia's illustrious 'settlers'.
Soldier of Fortune
Crazy DOW player
Rabid Mets Fan

Offline Warlord

• Global Moderator
  • Members
  • Sydney, Australia
« Reply #28 on: February 23, 2021, 11:31:05 PM »
To be fair, South Australia was actually settled by settlers. And they never let you forget it.
I hate people who don't paint their armies, hate them with all my guts. Beats me how they value other things over painting, like eating or brushing teeth.

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
  • Happy Spring! : )
« Reply #29 on: February 24, 2021, 12:13:40 AM »
Today there have been folks pooh poohing the large sized price guesses and rumors.  One guy mentioned he was expecting it would perhaps be around 125 pounds = 175 dollars.  That seems a reasonable guess, especially when the Indomitus starter set was going for between $175 and $200 dollars around here.
"Not all who wander are lost ... " Tolkien

"... my old suggestion is forget it, take two aspirins and go paint" steveb

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

"Until death it is all life." Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra

Offline Rowsdower

• Members
  • Is there beer on the sun?
    • Jesse Cowled
« Reply #30 on: February 25, 2021, 05:49:38 AM »
Today there have been folks pooh poohing the large sized price guesses and rumors.  One guy mentioned he was expecting it would perhaps be around 125 pounds = 175 dollars.  That seems a reasonable guess, especially when the Indomitus starter set was going for between $175 and $200 dollars around here.
You must never pooh-pooh a pooh-pooh. I knew a general once who pooh-pooh'd a pooh-pooh. He had to dismantle an entire division. Morale completely destroyed by pooh-pooh

Offline Sharkbelly

• Members
« Reply #31 on: February 25, 2021, 08:35:37 AM »

Sounds about right. Blackstone Fortress is going for 125 euros, so I think 125-150 euros for Cursed City would be a good fit.

Online Gankom

• Members
  • The World Builder
« Reply #32 on: March 01, 2021, 07:40:28 PM »
New model previews. They say its for Ulfenkarn, but likely not in the main box set. So an expansion planned already?

This well-dressed fellow hails from the Vyrgos Dynasty of Soulblight Vampires. As you can probably tell from his fancy attire, Kritza was once counted among the nobility of Ulfenkarn (which you can read about in our first Cursed City crier). Unfortunately, his attempts to secretly undermine the lord of the land led him to an ill fate, and he was horribly mauled by Radukar the Wolf.

Against all odds, Kritza escaped by heaving himself into a Corpse Cart and playing dead among the lifeless bodies it carried. He sustained his ravaged body by feasting upon the blood of the rats he found gnawing on the corpses stowed alongside him. Kritza soon discovered he’d unwittingly been granted the Blood Kiss by his ferocious assailant and was slowly evolving into one of the Soulblight.

You may have noticed the Rat Prince’s fabulous (or should that be verminous?) cloak and somewhat murine appearance. Well, it appears that his unorthodox transformation into a vampire had some unusual side-effects. In addition to being accompanied by his ‘vermintide’ of rats – both living and undead – Kritza can transform into a swarm of rodents to evade his foes.

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #33 on: March 01, 2021, 08:34:10 PM »
7 tails at the backside of that cloak, so must be rats.  Unless it's a land surfing octopus whose lost one of his tentacles.

And interestingly ... it looks like he has 7 giant rat pelts hanging off his shoulders.  However, it is another vampire figure that some folks will be thrilled with having.

Not surprised they'd be wanting to expand off of this game, it seems to be their current trend with all the various game systems they've been selling.

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

Online Gankom

• Members
  • The World Builder
« Reply #34 on: March 01, 2021, 11:21:08 PM »
I like the model, but honestly I'm more likely to use it in D&D or with 40k as a Rogue Trader. I kinda dig the rat look, although maybe not the tails.

I'm not at all surprised they're going to make expansions. I'm more surprised they'd be previewing expansions before the box set even releases!

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #35 on: March 01, 2021, 11:44:50 PM »
I agree.

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #36 on: March 02, 2021, 12:03:05 AM »
Rumor has it that this figure might be released with the upcoming novel of Cursed City that is said to be on it's way.

Offline Jmash

• Members
  • Lancashire, UK
« Reply #37 on: March 02, 2021, 12:05:35 PM »
Seems like quite an interesting dynamic being created with this guy. He's a vampire but clearly an enemy of Radukar the Wolf? So is he technically going to be another "hero"? More of an antihero of sorts? Or is there an entirely new faction coming into play neither good nor bad? Are we going to get a vampire heading up some weird Skaveny-undead hybrids!?  :icon_eek:

Hmm...

On the whole he's pretty cool and I'm definitely digging the direction this Cursed City is heading in, I like the dark and gritty stuff more than the flashy magicy stuff.

Online Gankom

• Members
  • The World Builder
« Reply #38 on: March 02, 2021, 04:27:03 PM »
Pretty classically the only thing vampires hate more then the living, is other rival vampires. I think he's being set up to be on the 'hero' side, but one who likely plans to take the city for themselves once the current boss is over thrown.

They also seem to be putting a fair bit of effort into making sure all these (especially the udead) will work good with the coming soulblight gravelords (Essentially vampire counts) update thats coming soon.

Offline Warlord

• Global Moderator
  • Members
  • Sydney, Australia
« Reply #39 on: March 03, 2021, 12:41:22 AM »
Surely GraveBlight SoulLords makes more sense as a name :roll:

Online Gankom

• Members
  • The World Builder
« Reply #40 on: March 03, 2021, 01:18:54 AM »
TimeSoul lords!

Offline Syphon

• Members
« Reply #41 on: March 03, 2021, 02:54:51 PM »
Doodads! Doodads everywhere! Yeah, they look good but the ever-present doodads turn me off so much. Still, that vampire ogre looks pretty swiggy swaggity.
Now go! Ride towards the sun atop these noble steeds
You're our spandex heroes, now fullfil your destinies
And so we turned and rode beyond the castle walls
with shiny codpiece armour that doth cradle our chivalrous balls

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #42 on: March 03, 2021, 05:36:19 PM »
Been having second though about this set.  Been seeing how many projects I already have in the works, and how many more have been barely if at all touched, and contemplating this could be another set sitting on my shelf for who knows how long.

Offline Warlord

• Global Moderator
  • Members
  • Sydney, Australia
« Reply #43 on: March 03, 2021, 10:27:13 PM »
I am hearing its an issue of shelf space. If you want GP you can buy it for me, and ship it here so it can sit on my shelf  :wink:

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #44 on: March 03, 2021, 11:29:47 PM »
 :icon_lol: :::cheers:::

I'm seeing myself using the skeletons, but those dudes with the gravestones on their backs bug me, and evidently the guy with the big spade, who also doesn't do it for me, needs to show the zombies it's ok to leave the rock slabs behind after he's dug them up to live again.

Online Gankom

• Members
  • The World Builder
« Reply #45 on: March 04, 2021, 12:16:52 AM »
Big spade man looks straight out of Darkest Dungeon, which is a win for me but a very different ascetic then we normally see. I'd also agree the zombies are the weakest look. There's part of it I dig (Like solid references to Eastern European folklore), but overall its not as fantastic as they tried for.

Pretty much all the hero characters look awesome, and the vast majority of bad guys as well. The undead ogres are a bit on the thin side, but from the little bit of lore I've seen I think it makes sense how they'd waste away.

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #46 on: March 04, 2021, 01:56:05 AM »
With the zombies, wondering if I take those grave stones off their backs, how much trouble it'll be to convert their backs.  Painting them as is will be trouble enough.  I like they included a bat and some rats, maybe as familiars for the wizard dude, except the bat could represent a vampire in bat form.  The Ogres do look good, the skeletons seem to have an eastern European/Byzantine look to them.  The tall demon beast thing will be great as a terrifying monster creature.  I just hope the hero figures don't tower over so many other figures that I have.

Plus, waiting to see on the cost.  If it is really wacked, then that'll slow me down further.  It is tough to substantiate this purchase even without a bonkers price, because curbing my enthusiasm for filling more storage space with unused product, is not my idea of what I want to be doing with projects.  And there is the issue of having so many games to play, sheesh.  What a silly hobby.

Offline Jmash

• Members
  • Lancashire, UK
« Reply #47 on: March 04, 2021, 10:48:31 AM »
I just hope the hero figures don't tower over so many other figures that I have.

This will be the biggest annoyance I reckon, I think I will probably end up trying to get hold of the minis but next to 4th/5th ed state troops they're going to make them look like halflings! :laugh:

Offline Rowsdower

• Members
  • Is there beer on the sun?
    • Jesse Cowled
« Reply #48 on: March 04, 2021, 09:09:24 PM »
Reminds me of Monty pythons hospital ward for overacting. It was full of King rats

Offline Jmash

• Members
  • Lancashire, UK
« Reply #49 on: March 12, 2021, 10:08:53 AM »
Does anybody know whether a release or pre-order date has been set for this yet?

I'm always loathed to purchase the full sets of these things because I have no need of the dice and markers etc. that come along with it, but I do normally try to pick up the miniatures I like afterwards from people who buy them to split them. This set however seems to be quite full of interesting minis so might take the plunge and flog the useless stuff afterwards...

Any ideas on timescales?