home

Author Topic: " 'Light' Coven of Light " in 2000 points  (Read 1095 times)

Offline Kulgan

• Members
" 'Light' Coven of Light " in 2000 points
« on: January 06, 2012, 02:56:54 AM »

Having played a few battles with my 2000 point empire army, I started thinking about using a secondary Light mage. Here my character set up in a nutshell:

- Arch Lector
- Lvl 4 Lore of Light carrying the Rod of Power
- BSB
- 2 Engineers

I would take out 1 Engineer and find 40 point elsewhere in favour of a Lvl 1 Light mage carrying the Seal of Destruction . The Seal adds to an already formidable defense, while the Lvl 1 himself will help me get my much needed Banishment spell. Rolling the Lvl 1's spell first, I will increase the chances of having the Lvl 4 rolling banishement increase from rhoughly 85% to 95%. Which is a huge deal! Also it will be 2D6 S5 hits due to the Light aspect, if the mages are close enough to each other. Finally the Lvl 1 also provides channeling every turn, which must not be overlooked.

I know it's a considerable amount of points to get a single spell, but I really like having Banishment, next to the bubble effects Lore of Light provides. But looking at my current armylist, I have no crossbowmen nor handgunners present. So I'm a bit light on ' small arms fire ' and thus the extra chance of getting Banishment, at a better strength, will seriously compensate this in my army and form a better complementary army.

I was inspired by this as in last game against Dark Elves, Banishment took out the following troops :
- empire turn 1=> 6 Dark Riders destroyed
- empire turn 2/3 => unit of harpies reduced to half
- empire turn 4/5 => 6 Dark Riders destroyed
- empire turn 5/6 => Tried to kill the Pendant of Kaleth Dark Pegasus Rider, and actually forgat he had to re roll succesfull ward saves! He failed two armour saves, then made his two ward saves. Later on my BSB managed one wound on the Kaleth Pegasus. This was really bad, but I still massacred him to I wasn't really unhappy  :icon_cool:

Thoughts?

Offline Athiuen

• Members
  • The Old World
Re: " 'Light' Coven of Light " in 2000 points
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2012, 03:12:07 AM »
Get the best of both your Arch Lector and the Lore of Light and simply invest in or make a War Altar.
Quote from: warhammerlord_soth
No beer was wasted.
They fired at a can of Heineken.
The end is Neigh!
Quote from: Swan-of-War
Curse you clearly-written rules!

Offline TheBelgianGuy

• Members
Re: " 'Light' Coven of Light " in 2000 points
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2012, 11:48:36 AM »
What Athiuen says. If you take a war altar, the Arch LEctor can cast banishment with the 2x +1S of the wizards (if that's what it does?).

Note that I think the War Altar itself doesn't count as a light wizard so wouldn't give a bonus to your wizards.