home

Author Topic: 8th ed Porkix's reports - 17/04/2012 WOC vs EMP  (Read 7156 times)

Offline Porkix

• Members
8th ed Porkix's reports - 17/04/2012 WOC vs EMP
« on: April 17, 2012, 09:59:10 AM »
Hi guys,

I had a game last Saturday to test the new empire. I didn't took pictures so this is the battle as I can remember it.

My list:
Arch lector with heavy armour, shield and helm of the rat slayer
Battle Wizard level 2 fire (for the range damage as I have 2 prayer casters) Flame Storm and Fireball
38 halberds standard and musician

Warrior priest heavy armour, shield and dragon helm
BSB Captain with full plate, enchanted shield and dawnstone
38 halberds standard and musician

5 reiksguard

5 outriders

5 pistoliers

1 canon

1 hellblaster

My opponent
Chaos Lord of tzeentch with chaos armour and enchanted shield only I believe
16 warriors of tzeentch with shield full command

16 warriors of tzeentch with hallberds full command (in the watch tower)

BSB exalted of Tzeentch with stuff (not sure what)
Sorcerer of Tzeentch with spell familiar stuff (no sure what) Treason, Flickering fire and pandemonium
20 marauders of Tzeentch with shield

10 dogs

We roll for watch tower and he placed the halberds warriors inside.

Offline Porkix

• Members
Re: 8th ed Porkix's reports - 17/04/2012 WOC vs EMP
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2012, 10:15:54 AM »
Deployment after vanguard

He drop his blocks to defend the tower and I put my both halberd horde to go in the tower and the shaff on the side to annoy.

Turn1 Empire

I position everything in threatening distance. Pistoliers scoop on the side to annoy (forgot to ask him to test for march move)
3D6 fireball in the tower -> 1 dead warrior
Outriders shoot 3 dogs
Canon shoot the tower but fell short 2' + 2' bounce, I need this guy to weaken the tower defenders before going in!!!
Hellblaster out of range
Pistoliers shoot 1 warrior

Not much for now...

Turn 1 WOC

Rush everything forward, dogs cruise around the rocks hidden from my shooting.
pandemonium cast and I choose to not dispel
dispel flickering fire on outriders
my the dispel on treason of tzeentch kills 10 halberds, pass Ld 7 panic test on the BSB's reroll (lucky me even if I moved enough to not flee out of the table)

Turn2 Empire

My best option to take the tower is still the intact horde with my arch lector but I need to stop the chaos lord coming straight at me. I charge my reiksguard in their flank and try to charge the tower to start the grind but miss (roll a 3).
Other halberds reform to get ranks and move away from the marauders with the exalted BSB (and also bring the BSB closer to the fight).
Pistoliers move to the back of the marauders.
I dispel pandemonium and nothing go through.
Outriders, Hellblaster and Pistoliers shoot 4 Marauders
Canon shoot the tower and miss 2' + 4' for the bounce (damned it)

Reikguard loose 2 (even after the chaos lord made way) but hold, warriors reform to face them. (bless the 1+ armour save and stubborn).

Turn 2 WOC

BSB and Sorcerer jump in the tower and the dogs run behind my outriders to close in against the helblaster.
Pandemonium is cast again.
Treason is dispeled.
Flickering fire kills 2 pistoliers but don't panic them.
Reiksguard go mental on the armour save (6 pass on 6 including 3 on 3+) and hold again. This blessing from Sigmar will doom the chaos lord and its retinue.

Offline Porkix

• Members
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2012, 10:27:57 AM »
Turn 3 Empire

So the BSB and Sorcerer joined the tower... I should have intercept them earlier, it would have been easier...
Anyway, it time to get rid of the chaos lord threat: my halberds horde with arch lector charge their flank.
Halberds 1 fails their charge (8 to reach) in the rear of the marauders (they turn to face the pistoliers, I am not sure why...).
I dispeled pandemonium, no prayers goes through as my opponent knows what to dispel (only the combat matters).
Hellblaster vaporize the dogs in red mist (20 shoots at short range)
Canon misfire but can shoot next turn (this dude is becoming annoying)
Outriders and pistoliers shoot 2 marauders. Not great but works for me.

Chaos Lord is locked with knights so can't make way and I refuse the challenge (my arch-lector and wizard both at their respective corners are not even in combat and in don't intend to)
1 knight died to the Lord attacks, he fluffed on the halberds and I go mental for 5 warriors dead. He brakes on snake eyes. I run him down with the halberds. Knights trot forward.
Victory for the Empire! Bless is the will of the reiksguard!

Turn 3 WOC

He charges his marauders in my victorious horde.
Pandemonium is cast again...
Treason is cast on IF, I lost 16 halberds (roll 16 wounds on 17 dice O_O ) but luckily don't panic on the re-roll of the BSB
the miscast blows 5 warriors in the tower.
The marauders kill a few but I blast and outnumber him. He flees and I run him down (I choose to pursue so I could get another turn of shooting and magic before storming the tower).

Turn 4 EMP

Here it is, nothing left apart the tower...
All reform to suround the tower
dispel pandemonium and 3D6 fireball kills 1 warrior
Combined hellblaster/Pistoliers/Outriders kill 1 more (7+ to hit is though)
Canon misfire and can't shoot next turn (grrrrrr useless piece of brass)

Turn 4 WOC

Pandemonium is cast again
Flickering fire is cast on outriders but don't do anything
Dispeled treason...
Warriors have a cup of tea in the tower...

Offline Porkix

• Members
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2012, 10:36:44 AM »
Turn 5 Empire

My canon is jamed and it's my best chance to take them out of the tower so I go for the charge (the game can end at any moment now).
Everything else get closer just in case.
Magic, I let pandemonium on and I toss all my dies on prayers but nothing goes through...
15 halberds died from the remaining 8 warriors, Exalted and Sorcerer to kill 1 warrior only in return. I hold on the re-roll Ld 7 of the BSB and step back.
Roll for the end of the game and we keep on going at it.

Turn 5 WOC

Now they have biscuits with their tea
Flickering dispel on pistoliers.
Treason cast on BSB's halberds and kills 6. Don't panic still.
Roll for the end of the game and we keep on going at it.

Turn 6 Empire

My canon is back and after the beating I took earlier on, I decide to blast them out!
I dispel pandemonium (again) and fail to meet the casting value for fireball (darn it).
Hellblaster, Pistoliers and Outriders shoot at the tower and kill 4 warriors.
There is only 3 left + BSB and Sorcerer and canon misfire ...... (darn it)
The game ends there, victory for chaos warriors. The force of Altdorf retreat leaving there a canon with "junk" painted on the side.

Hope you enjoyed the report. Analysis and review to follow

Porkix

Offline Athiuen

• Members
  • The Old World
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2012, 10:39:32 AM »
Badluck!
Quote from: warhammerlord_soth
No beer was wasted.
They fired at a can of Heineken.
The end is Neigh!
Quote from: Swan-of-War
Curse you clearly-written rules!

Offline Fandir Nightshade

• Members
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2012, 10:56:03 AM »
Cannon was bad luck but the choice of a fire mage was a bad decision. Also the turn the Hellblaster was in no range for juicier targets you should have tried to shoot the chaos warriors in the tower. Better placement of the hellblaster and the outriders would have helped too.

Other than that...I think Reiksguard are super.

Offline Warwhore

• Members
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2012, 11:06:39 AM »
I'm sure they dragged the cannon crew all the way back to Altdorf...
It's science. You wouldn't understand.

~The Big Diehl

Offline Finlay

• Members
  • C'mon Son
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2012, 12:28:56 PM »
Good battle.

Moral victory for you.
I don't care about the rules.

Pass the machete.

Offline Fandir Nightshade

• Members
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2012, 12:29:26 PM »
Killing most of the stuff in close combat is impressive though.

Offline Athiuen

• Members
  • The Old World
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2012, 12:34:00 PM »
I'm sure they dragged the cannon crew all the way back to Altdorf...

All the way back to the dungeons!
Quote from: warhammerlord_soth
No beer was wasted.
They fired at a can of Heineken.
The end is Neigh!
Quote from: Swan-of-War
Curse you clearly-written rules!

Offline Fidelis von Sigmaringen

• Members
  • Attorney-at-RAW
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2012, 03:06:48 PM »
Nice battle. However, you say:

1 knight died to the Lord attacks, he fluffed on the halberds and I go mental for 5 warriors dead. He brakes on snake eyes. I run him down with the halberds. Knights trot forward.

If his break test was a double 1, he passed his break test (Insane Courage), and you could not have run him down.
It is not enough to have no ideas of your own; you must also be incapable of expressing them.
Sex, lies and manuscripts: The History of the Empire as Depicted in the Art of the Time (10/07/16)

Offline Porkix

• Members
« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2012, 01:15:22 AM »
What I meant is he needed snake eyes and didn't get it.

To be honest, my luck was bad with canon but my rolls for combat were terrific. I slaughter him without any buff on. On his part, his close combat role were not so hot in the combat with his lord but his magic was insane. Didn't loose concentration once always casting on 2 dice. Every single phase, I had 3 spells going off and I had to choose what to dispel.

I forgot to mention but my pistoliers were wipe out I think his last turn by flickering fire (6 hits S6 ouchh).

To shoot the hellblaster at the tower long range, you need to roll 7+. Quite hard core. I decided to get closer 1st even if it was not such a good idea.

I choose fire to get a magic missile as I have 2 priests providing buff so I was thinking it will balance well. But for this battle, my roll were bad, piercing bolt and flame storm, the 2 spells I need the least against WOC.

Porkix

Offline Bad Mojo

• Members
« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2012, 06:37:37 PM »
I refuse to believe 3d6 Fireball kills only 1 warrior in the tower on both turns 1 and 4.

You did re-roll to wound right?  Flaming attacks on a building allows you to re-roll wounds.  Even on a below average 9 hits, you should be getting 7 wounds, of which 4-5 gets past armor (Chaos armor and no shields unless he bought them for the halberds) and 6+ ward saves.

Offline Porkix

• Members
« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2012, 02:20:57 AM »
Both fireball roll 7 for number of hits and after very bad roll to wound even with the re-roll, he managed a couple of 6+ armour and ward...

This tower was not for me to take this time.

Porkix

Offline TexasYankee

• Members
« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2012, 09:05:27 PM »

the miscast blows 5 warriors in the tower.

I know English is not your first language, but that is awesome.  :happy:

Excellent report, enjoyed reading it, and yes, just plain bad luck on the cannon. That's Warhammer!  :happy:

Fandir mentioned bad choice of magic lore against Warriors, but I don't believe in choosing your lore AFTER you find out who you are going to fight. You go to war with the army you have, and nothing rolls my eyes more when I put my northmen on the table and my opponent says:

"Oh, you're playing Chaos? My Lvl4 will use Lore of Metal . . . "  :icon_rolleyes:
So, what would you guys do if some dude came at you with a belt that way?
Make sure I've got the safeword memorised.

Offline Porkix

• Members
Re: 8th ed Porkix's reports - 13/08/2013 DWA vs EMP
« Reply #15 on: August 14, 2013, 06:49:50 AM »
Hi guys,

It's been a very long time I didn't share a report but I had a terrific game last night I wanted to share with you. Here you go:
We are playing 2000 points Empire against Dwarfs, roll 5 terrains with one building and 4 forests (only the bottom left is a venom thicket, the rest are normal forest.
The Empire list:
43 halberds, standard and musician with arch-lector (heavy arm, shield, helm of the skaven slayer) and captain BSB (full plate, enchanted shield, dawnstone, sword of might)
5 archers detachment
43 halberds, standard and musician with priest (heavy arm, shield, dragon helm) and witch hunter (brace of pistols, potion of speed)
5 archers detachment
wizard level 2 beast with dispel scroll
5 reiksguard
5 pistoliers
3 demigryphs with musician
1 canon
1 hell blaster with engineer
Hurricanum

The Dwarf list:
40 warriors with great weapon and full command
40 warriors with great weapon and full command and thane BSB with rune of spite (ward 4+)
25 quarrelers with great weapon
Grudge thrower with re-roll scatter dice and +1 strength runes
Canon with re-roll bounce rune
Organ Gun
Anvil of doom with Rune lord, 2 dispel scrolls runes, steel one power dice rune and 2 runes to get 5+ ward

Playing watchtower (so the building is transfer to the center) and Empire won the roll to control the watch tower but has no unit to deploy in.

The Dwarf finish his deployment first so I can choose my matchup. I put my blocks of infantry to contest the tower, my cav units to rush his war machines and my demi to clear the quarrelers. The hurricanum is not in line of sight of the canon hiding behind the tower.

My wizard roll amber spear and flock of doom. I change the latest to wild form. I accuse the BSB of heresy.
Deployement

Dwarf 1st turn
I vanguard my pistoliers out of range of the Organ Gun.
Warriors move up, the anvil failed to move the warriors toward the tower but no incident so it can be used next turn. The warriors are still more than 3' away from the tower.
His canon kills mine, the thrower kills 12 halberds and the crossbows kills 4 in the block closed to the tower (he didn't want to shoot through my archers). The organ gun is out of range.
The 1st block pass its panic check.

Empire 1st turn
All units move up to threaten the shooting base of the dwarf and making sure the charge would be easy next turn.
My 1st halberd block can move in the tower next turn in case the dwarf fails again the anvil test (more than 3 inches of the tower still). I position my knights and pistoliers so at least one will survive and rush the war machines. I pass one dangerous terrain with my knights but fail 2 out of 2 with my demi  ::heretic::.
Magic see a double 1 rolled and the dwarf has more dice than me :( I failed to cast the boosted amber spear anyway.
Shooting sees 4 the hell blaster down 4 dwarfs.

Dwarf 2nd turn
He moves the warriors up and anvil them in the building, dooohhhh
The organ gun roll a 4, re-roll for a 2 and only kills one reiksguard, no panic check to test. The crossbows do 2 wounds to the demi and the canon stick in the mud but still finish one more. I am down to one demi only  ::heretic::. The thrower kills 10 more halberds  ::heretic::.
So I have 40 dwarfs in the tower to push out and I am getting crushed by his shooting, it's finally time to counter attack!

Empire 2nd turn
Reiskguard charge and loose one to dangerous terrain but pass the panic check, pistoliers charge the canon and loose one to dangerous terrain (they are hoping for the overrun of the knights). Halberds charge the tower. Demi charge the crossbows and get cut down by the stand and shoot (6 wounds, 3 armor save of 1), not their day. 
I reform my halberd to clear line of sight for the hell blaster.
Magic is a 5 and a 4 and I chuck 6 dices at boosted amber spear, irresistible miscast that blows 3 archers but I pass my panic (in range of the main block) and kills the grudge thrower.
The hell blaster clear 6 dwarfs (I have been rolling like a champ for this guy all game).
Combat see me killing 2 crews with my reiksguard, one crew with the pistoliers and loose one in return but everybody sticks. The assault on the tower is a failure. Even with hatred and +1 to hit, I only kill 4 dwarfs for 6 lost in return. In order to get these guys out, I need a big magic phase and I need to get rid of his BSB and hope for him to fail a Ld9 test.

Dwarf 3rd turn
Here comes the cunning plan, my opponent plans to shoot my archers with the crossbows and anvil his warriors in my general and BSB.
Luckily, 3 archers only dies (bad roll) so he has to charge the archers using the anvil to clear the way.
I was planing to double flee with them but I don't need to since he failed his redirect roll twice on Ld9, what a relief!
Combat sees both all his crew men dead and I reform facing his anvil

Empire 3rd turn
This turn I decide to not charge the tower since I have a cunning plan. My BSB and arch lector jump in the big halberd unit to safety.
My witch hunter run and park himself right in front of the BSB 1 inch away.
My archers rally and my fast units move toward the anvil.
Magic is a wash (roll a 5 and a 4 but he has most of the time more dices than me. so no irresistible, no magic).
My hell blaster is in short range of the tower and kills 4 dwarfs inside even with hard cover.
My witch hunter snipe the BSB but fail to wound.

Dwarf 4th turn
I drink my speed potion and brace for the impact.
The dwarf charge and the hunter stand and shoot 1 warrior. He cannot wheel enough to avoid to face my hunter with his BSB  :biggriin:.
He reforms his quarrelers and anvil them close to my incoming units (that was a big mistake as I still had space for one of my unit to charge the anvil without being in line of sight of his quarrelers for a counter charge).
No shooting so straight to combat. I manage to score a killing blow on the BSB (no challenge) and he fails his 4+ ward for a dead witch! Horrah, part 1 of the plan his done.
My hunter is pummeled to the ground by the warriors and they overrun in the halberds.
All panic checks are passed due to the proximity of my general and BSB.
We roll for end of the game but the game continues.

Empire 4th turn
The knights get the easy charge in the anvil and the pistoliers road block the quarrelers and kill 3 with their pistols. One more is killed by a stray arrow.
The combat with the warriors goes has expected, loose 10 halberds, they kills 4 dwarfs thanks to hurricanum boost and run away. I can still rally them later since I have 11 guys left out of 43.
There is my big mistake, I thought  I blocked his reform with my archers but he still manage to refrain and reform deep to look at my center line, doohhhhh!
Otherwise panic tests are good.
The knights dispose of the anvil guards for not loss on their side.
We roll for end of the game but the game continues.

Dwarf 5th turn
Hi turn sees his crossbows shoot to death my pistoliers at short range and his warriors declare a flank charge in my halberds to redirect to my hurricanum. I double flee and left him stranded.
We roll for end of the game but the game continues!  At that point, I am certain I can't win that battle.

Empire 5th turn
My turn, I rally my units starting by my general, BSB, priest unit. I manage to reform them out of the wood and in range of the other feeling units. My archers run toward the anvil to be annoying and my wizard toward the tower.
Magic is a wash as usual since I don't irresistible anything.
My hell blaster kills 4 dwarfs in the tower, that's good! But not enough for a panic test.
The combat with the anvil lord is  push since no wound can go through on both side.
We roll for end of the game but the game continues!  It's almost done for Empire  :|.

Dwarf 6th turn
The game is ending, the warriors charge my halberds and failed! he needs a 4 and roll a 3. Wohoooo!!!1
The quarrelers reform to rescue the anvil. I manage to cause a wound on the anvil lord.
We roll for end of the game and we are still not done, let's go for empire turn 6!

Empire 6th turn
Due to his unlucky failed charge, the counter charge is bloody, my halberds in front and in the flank with the hurricanum in front as well.
In the magic phase I manage to spam 1 dice prayers to squeeze in a lucky 5+ ward save on my big block (with 2 priests in the same block and lucky rolls, it was hard for him to control the phase).
The combat is a slaughter, all my characters make way and I manage to kill 10 dwarfs, remove steadfast and run him down with all 3 units.
Here is my 1st hope for victory since he has to pass a panic check with the dwarfs in the tower on Ld9 without re-roll but he passes.
We roll for end of the game and again, the game keeps on going. I begin to have hope again, I can pull this out!

Dwarf 7th turn
Short turn now, his quarrelers charge my knights, kill one but I make my stubborn 8 test.
Now he will be winning on a 3+ but he rolls a 2 and we are on for turn 7 Empire. I can win, if I can push these guys out!

Empire 7th turn
This my last chance, I charge the archers in the anvil in case I could get lucky but one detachment is killed on the other one flees. One reiksguard is killed and the other run of the board with the crossbow failing to restrain.
Now in the main event, during the magic phase, I manage to irresistible a re-roll to wound prayer. Everything goes in my favor  :mrgreen:.
I send my 3 characters in with the hatred (not for the BSB) and 7 halberds, +1 to hit and re-roll to wound. I manage 9 wounds and in return he tries to assassinate my arch lector without success (almost no hope to do 9 wounds with 10 attacks). He loose the combat, failed his Ld9 test and run away from the tower.

The game ends. Victory to Empire. What a incredible series of lucky outcomes for me! Horray!

Hope you like the report
Porkix

Offline Lord Solar Plexus

• Members
« Reply #16 on: August 14, 2013, 07:45:49 AM »
Haha, nice. Thanks for the report!
Suppose you were an idiot, and suppose you were a member of Congress; but I repeat myself. - S. Clemens

www.tablepott.de - Wir sind das Ruhrgebiet!
www.rheinerftliga.haarrrgh.de

Offline Porkix

• Members
« Reply #17 on: August 14, 2013, 05:04:42 PM »
Hey guys, Here some pics of the deployment only as I did not take pics after that.