home

Author Topic: "unique" characters  (Read 1225 times)

Offline Granström

• Members
"unique" characters
« on: May 21, 2009, 09:42:24 AM »
I've been following the unique characters for a while, and its entertaning. But i want to have a "real" subject, on how you make all your characters, and why

I'll go first.

Empire General
Sword of sigismund, shroud of magnus, fullplate & shield
He goes with the greatswords, (since they cleary have a problem since their striking last, at least towards s5 knights, monsters, etc) and I uses a general to give the standard of arcane warding on the swordsmen.

Anyone else how to make good characters?

Offline Folken

• Members
Re: "unique" characters
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2009, 04:15:46 PM »
Are you asking for general advise on equipping characters?

Typically, it is more effective to make an empire character more tanky then killy but that does depend a lot on your own style of play.  It would also matter how much magic offense you have if you will take things like bound spells or save/reallocate your points.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2009, 04:21:30 PM by Folken »

Offline dabber

• Members
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2009, 04:54:57 PM »
Like Folken, I'm not sure what you are after.

As a character build, I think that one is poor.  Firstly, he should be riding a horse.  That is 2 extra armour save and effectively one more model for rank bonus, plus a horsey attack, at low cost.  More importantly, the character doesn't accomplish its stated goal.  3 strength 5 attacks just isn't that impressive.  Unless fighting elves (half of which swing before you), you kill about one guy.  If fighting the things you mention - knights and monsters, you don't even do that.
You do not want to see a Master Engineer across the table giving you the bird.  With Pigeon Bombs, he is a killing machine.  Ridicule the robo horse relentlessly, but pay homage to the pigeon.

Offline Keller

• Members
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2009, 07:00:45 PM »
I'm a firm believer in keeping my characters cheap.  They are there to lead, not fell armies on their own.  I don't see a point in doubling the character's cost with equipment when I can buy another unit with the difference.  Here are some of my set-ups

Grizzled Vetern (GotE) w/ Full Plate, Shield, AHW, Icon of Magnus.  Leads my militia army.

General of the Empire: Barded Warhorse, Plate, Shield, Sword of Justice, Ring of Volans.  Leads State army.

Captain: Plate, Halberd. Leads Halberdiers or Spearmen

Battle Wizard, lvl 2, Rod of Power

Battle Wizard, lvl 2 Dispel Scroll (or Seal of Destruction)

Battle Wizard, Lvl 2, Doom Fire Ring, Power Stone

*I am still new to this idea of putting a horse in infantry; it still feels weird to me, so my General is on foot half of the time.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2009, 07:09:08 PM by Keller »

Offline Caralon

• Members
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2009, 07:57:16 PM »
I played a Wizard Lord for the first time yesterday and had great success with what I felt was a unique hero.  At least, I've never used it before and came up with it on the fly.

It was large game, and I was representing 1/2 of my side's 4000 points.

Grey Wizard Lord
Level 4 Caster
Shroud of Magnus
Aldred's Casket
Pegasus

Getting him up and around my enemy's units of Saurus and behind his Slaan with that Casket probably won me the game, and he managed to stay alive largely thanks to the Magic Resist on the Shroud.  Stopping the Slaan from casting some of his spells and dropping a few lucky Pit of Shades casts onto large infantry units made it an easy win.  Shadows also has that level one spell that lets you get a second fly move, and then Steed of Shadows that lets you move somebody else - I felt very powerful zipping around the board with that caster.
There are very few problems that cannot be solved with cannons.

Offline Granström

• Members
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2009, 10:03:53 AM »
I played with this character in the sedish tournament, and trust me, sword of sigismund is a grace.

Yes, i am thinking of puttin him on a horse back, although i Have such a cool model (A)

Offline Shadoweyed

• Members
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2009, 08:46:56 PM »
I played a Wizard Lord for the first time yesterday and had great success with what I felt was a unique hero.  At least, I've never used it before and came up with it on the fly.

It was large game, and I was representing 1/2 of my side's 4000 points.

Grey Wizard Lord
Level 4 Caster
Shroud of Magnus
Aldred's Casket
Pegasus

Getting him up and around my enemy's units of Saurus and behind his Slaan with that Casket probably won me the game, and he managed to stay alive largely thanks to the Magic Resist on the Shroud.  Stopping the Slaan from casting some of his spells and dropping a few lucky Pit of Shades casts onto large infantry units made it an easy win.  Shadows also has that level one spell that lets you get a second fly move, and then Steed of Shadows that lets you move somebody else - I felt very powerful zipping around the board with that caster.

Not to burst your bubble, but the level 1 Shadow spell specifically says "it won't work on a mounted model or model on a chariot".

And my General's set up is something like Barded Warhorse, Full Plate, Enchanted Shield, Shroud of Magnus. I haven't been throwing an magic weapons on him because he is really just supposed to be a moving leadership boost in my army. He gives the Warbanner to my Greatswords, and I have a Warrior Priest in there with AoMI, GW and Icon of Magnus.

For my Arch Lector I do love the Sword of Sigismund because it matches up with Shield of the Gorgon and VHS well. Any opponent foolish enough to accept a challenge with this combo is doomed.

-Shadoweyed