home

Author Topic: "Crush the Weak" Question  (Read 3563 times)

Offline Azoth

• Members
"Crush the Weak" Question
« on: June 10, 2004, 10:48:55 PM »
Hey all, I have a quick question that I hope someone can clear up quickly, it's concerning the "Crush the Weak" special rule the Cult of Ulric list has. I want to to know for purposes of this rule do you go off of the base leadership of the model, or are regular leadership modifiers brought into play?

For example my Knights of the White Wolf and Seneschal of the White Wolf charge a unit of Gors. The Gors are lead by a Foe Render, does the unit have hatred against the Gors (ld 6) and not the Foe Render or do that not have hatred against any of the unit? This is important because I am planning on playing the Cult list on Saturday and will be playing against a lot of Leadership 6 troops.
You put HOW much powder into the cannon?!?

Offline queek

• The Old Ones
  • Members
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2004, 01:04:47 AM »
the rule specifies "basic" leadership of the model.

one of the VERY few instances where the General, et al don't help out on Ld.

Offline Azoth

• Members
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2004, 01:10:17 AM »
Thank you Queek, you've helped out immensely, as usual. :)

Offline armlessfred

• Members
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2004, 01:32:07 AM »
Well id been wondering about that myself...and suddenly skaven look squishy :biggriin:
*insert something funny here*
Like->if you haven't got the testicular fortitude to at least stand and fight, you're not worth listening to.

Offline queek

• The Old Ones
  • Members
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2004, 04:34:16 AM »
yes, yes they do!

along with gobbos, skeletons, zombies and a few other things.

funny how the Ulricans only hate things that are weak and weedy.   :roll:

Offline Karl Schimmelfennig

• Members
  • Servant of the Slann
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2004, 05:16:31 AM »
They also hate Stegadons, Carnosaurs and Zombie Dragons.

I'd hardly call them weak and weedy. :)
Famous Quotes from History:

"To beat the French."

The Iron Duke summarises his battle plan at Waterloo.

Offline Lugribossk

• Members
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2004, 10:38:04 AM »
And they don't hate Snotlings or other swarms... It's one of those rules it's a bad idea to think too much about :-).

Offline SKEETERGOD

• Members
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2004, 11:13:16 AM »
I must be Ulrican, as I hate stegadons. :mrgreen:  

They may not be week and weedy, but I think they sure are cheesy.
(didn't quite rhyme, but I tried)
It takes but one foe to breed a war, and even those without swords can still die upon them.

Offline Steamy_Feather

• Members
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2004, 12:30:56 PM »
They also hate Stegadons, Carnosaurs and Zombie Dragons.

Hehe... I once shot a cannonball directly in to my friends stegadon, inflicting 5 wounds. This was in the first round :twisted:
No one makes me bleed my own blood!...?

Offline SharkDog

• Members
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2004, 12:40:52 PM »
[/quote]
Hehe... I once shot a cannonball directly in to my friends stegadon, inflicting 5 wounds. This was in the first round :twisted:[/quote]

HEADSHOT!!!!! :largh:

Oh sorry, i guess my table-side manners are spilling into this forum as well.
I tend to yell stuff like this evey few minutes. You know, stuff like:"Suffer the righteous wrath of sigmar's hammer!" or "Die, you filthy witch-bred creature!"

I must be horrible to play competitively against. Fun in silly games though...
In the grim medieval Old World, the dreaded Witch Hunters are feared above all others.

Offline Clarkarias

• Members
  • Halton Hills, Ontario
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2004, 01:42:15 PM »
Swarms usually have a LD of 10.  So they're not that weak...
Actually, forget Karl-Franz. I want rules for Thyrus Gorman on a dragon. - Rufus Sparkfire

Offline Azoth

• Members
« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2004, 01:48:26 PM »
Speaking along the same lines, has anyone had any games with the Cult of Ulric against Beasts of Chaos? The list I am generating is supposed to fit into the fluff of the Storm of Chaos and will be primarily for hunting Beasts.

The idea is that Al-Ulric has assembled an army, appointed one of his high priests to lead it. The idea is that this army will ride forth out of Middenheim and head south, into the Forest of Shadows. They will attempt to halt the beastmen heading north and try and stop them from joining up with Archaon's horde. They will attmept to gather more allies and fighting men as the head south and add to their number. If they are successful at seeing off the beastmen, they will swing north again, which by that time Archaon should be sieging Middenheim or be close, and they will try to hit Archaon's force in the flank/rear, or depending on how successful Crom is coming through the mountains, they will put themselves bettween his force and Archaons, and try and stem the tide.

Either way, these are a brave group of men...they do not expect to see Middenheim ever again...but they will make Chaos pay dearly for every inch of ground they gain.

Offline queek

• The Old Ones
  • Members
« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2004, 03:26:53 PM »
interesting fluff, Azoth.  I'd be interested in hearing how that match-up would play out as well.

Offline Azoth

• Members
« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2004, 03:59:17 PM »
Well I'll be playing with the list for the first time Saturday night against the beasts, I'll make sure I take some notes and post how the battle went.

All of these smaller battles are going to lead up to a major game between my friend's Beastmen list (lead by Khazarak One-Eye) versus my Empire army (lead by Boris Todbringer). We are going to have one massive 4000-5000 point battle between these two armies on a 8' x 12' board. It will be one of the decisive battles in our Summer of Chaos campaign.

Offline queek

• The Old Ones
  • Members
« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2004, 06:23:46 PM »
fun stuff!

Offline Heiglot

• Members
« Reply #15 on: June 11, 2004, 06:29:38 PM »
*Sits and waits eagerly for battle reports and more fluff.* :biggriin:

Offline Duke Igthorn

• Members
« Reply #16 on: June 12, 2004, 02:22:51 AM »
Do the White Wolves Grandmaster get the "Crush The Weak" rule if used in a "regular" Empire army?
Or is it just for the SoC Middenheimer list?
Handgunners form ranks!
Load the cannons & mortars!
Steamtank full ahead!

Offline Karl Schimmelfennig

• Members
  • Servant of the Slann
« Reply #17 on: June 12, 2004, 02:52:29 PM »
Middenheim only, I believe.
Famous Quotes from History:

"To beat the French."

The Iron Duke summarises his battle plan at Waterloo.

Offline Bladesinger

• Members
« Reply #18 on: June 12, 2004, 03:00:45 PM »
Quote from: Karl Schimmelfennig

And the Cult of Ulric, that being where the rule originates from.
Ulric-God of wolves, winter, and laying the divine smackdown.
NO ONE expects the Ulrican Inquisition :!:(stolen from queek)

Offline queek

• The Old Ones
  • Members
« Reply #19 on: June 12, 2004, 04:37:00 PM »
Quote from: Karl Schimmelfennig

sad but true.

guess he's only ornery like that when he's close to home.

Offline davethetrike

• Members
« Reply #20 on: June 12, 2004, 09:59:34 PM »
Speaking along the same lines, has anyone had any games with the Cult of Ulric against Beasts of Chaos? The list I am generating is supposed to fit into the fluff of the Storm of Chaos and will be primarily for hunting Beasts.

Yes, lots - against beastmen.

This seems to work for me,  leave some warhounds  behind to harass ambushers.  You probably won't stop them but, you can hold them up

Keep  your main units in a staedy line and   advance - obliquely if yuu wish - do not be tempted to break into small groups or break your battle line.  Once you do that the skirmishers can get in anywhere and ( thanks to incredible manouverability) pick your army apart.  Trust me....I also play beastmen.  :oops:
Oh and beware tooled up Beastigor   - a  possible  13 S6  Attacks!

finally and off  topic sort of.  Can anyone tell me where to find the Al Ulric can cast  2 spells incuding remains in play bit.  I know I've read this but can't  find it anywhere   :cry:   Also,  does this mean both spells remain in play?     This is what is intimated but, it doesn't seem clear cut so I've not played it that way.
Never underestimate a Snotling, He'll  steal your eyes well you sleep, choke you to death with one and keep the other for lunch.

Offline dead 'ard greatsword

• Members
« Reply #21 on: June 12, 2004, 10:14:59 PM »
try  the experimental cult of ulric it was printed in white dwarf somewhere around 20 issues ago i think  :bonk:
i'm back and better than ever...
i'm back from making things better...

Fear The Pedigree!!!

Lord Of The Flaggelents Of Nuln

Offline davethetrike

• Members
« Reply #22 on: June 12, 2004, 10:21:29 PM »
try the experimental cult of ulric it was printed in white dwarf somewhere around 20 issues ago i think

Read  Re read gone blid trying to find it ..can I see can I  ........

:?
Never underestimate a Snotling, He'll  steal your eyes well you sleep, choke you to death with one and keep the other for lunch.

Offline Bubble Ghost

• Members
« Reply #23 on: June 13, 2004, 11:54:48 AM »
Quote from: davethetrike
Can anyone tell me where to find the Al Ulric can cast  2 spells incuding remains in play bit.  I know I've read this but can't  find it anywhere   :cry:   Also,  does this mean both spells remain in play?     This is what is intimated but, it doesn't seem clear cut so I've not played it that way.

It's in the 'special rules for the army' bit. And no, they don't both remain in play, no more than a wizard who casts two spells in a turn. If he uses a prayer he has to use a different one for the second go, unless it's dispelled in which case he can have another shot; but either way, attempting a prayer cancels existing RiP ones in the same way as wizards using spells.

Unless, that is, you're Ar-Ulric Emil Valgeir, the special character, one of whose rules is that he can have as many RiP prayers going at once as he can fit into a sermon...
Nothing can live forever.

Offline SKEETERGOD

• Members
« Reply #24 on: June 13, 2004, 02:11:16 PM »
In the special rules for Al-Ulric it says he can cast two prayers. However  only the last one he cast/preyed can remain in play (page 5 Chronicles 2004)

In the special rules for Al-Ulric Emil Valgeir He can cast two remains in play prayers and they remain in play unless he casts(prays) it again. (Page 42 of the SoC book)

Hope that helps.
It takes but one foe to breed a war, and even those without swords can still die upon them.