home

Author Topic: AoS Unboxing Video (Now with actual video)  (Read 7496 times)

Offline Darknight

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
  • Dipped in Magic, Clothed in Science
AoS Unboxing Video (Now with actual video)
« on: July 01, 2015, 11:01:57 AM »
Fellow Empire Generals, Forumites, Gamers, Friends and Others!

The Age of Sigmar boxed set is released on the 11th - I am going to purchase it. This thread is not to discuss the validity of that discussion - only God, Judy and Dredd can judge me.

Rather, this thread is to ask; how should I pre-order it, and is there interest in an unboxing vid etc.? I ask because I think I am one of the few people on this forum who are getting it at release (others will be downloading the rules from the site, as there is fear about the models etc.)

If I preorder it to the store, I will have it on the morning of Saturday the 11th - and I can do the little vid, and be there to answer questions, take pics of the models etc. etc. I'm quite happy to spend the weekend sitting there with a camera and a computer and do that, if there is interest.

However, that would mean I've got to drive to the store. And I don't know if there is interest enough in an unboxing / review vid, especially now the rules themselves have hit, to justify that ... when I could just get it delivered to my house to arrive on Monday the 13th or whenever.

So, that's it! Would people be interested in an unboxing vid and having someone with the game in his hands over the release weekend to post pics, answer questions etc.? If there is, I'll totally go get the game and be ready to review etc.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2015, 06:32:15 PM by Darknight »
Completed Projects | History of Ophelia VII

Quote from: PhillyT
Everyone finds their balance between satisfaction and obsession.

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
  • Happy Spring! : )
Re: AoS Unboxing Video?
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2015, 01:06:32 PM »
Well whatever ya do, make sure ya prepay with some form of currency. :icon_wink:
"Not all who wander are lost ... " Tolkien

"... my old suggestion is forget it, take two aspirins and go paint" steveb

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

"Until death it is all life." Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra

Offline Oxycutor

• Members
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2015, 01:17:20 PM »
I've never understood the "unboxing vid" phenomenon.  I don't get why they exist.   Don't we already know what's in the box?

Offline Darknight

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2015, 01:20:27 PM »
I kinda like them - because you get to see the things in the box in perhaps more details. I was planning to be ready to answer questions, and take more detailed photos etc.

Offline Jomppexx

• Members
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2015, 01:23:56 PM »
I will definitely get the game as well.
The starting packs are usually pretty good value (measures, templates, models, etc.) for their cost.
Also get to test out the game, could be surprised.
"Sigmar is like a barbaric, warrior Jesus, and only appeared to be a mortal man."
Highlights :
8/2014 : Grandmaster slew a Chaos Lord in a challenge

Offline Oxycutor

• Members
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2015, 01:27:59 PM »
They'll have an open copy in GW stores this weekend apparently, so we may well see stuff in detail then.   I'd like to have a close look at the unpainted sigmarines

Offline mottdon

• Members
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2015, 01:40:33 PM »
I'd really like to see your video.  I'm curious as to things like the books included (I'm assuming that there will still be books and you don't have to download them somewhere...) as well as physically seeing just how much is actually included in the box (how it's packaged, etc.).

I appreciate that you're willing to go to these lengths to put info out there about AoS.  So many are hesitant (myself included).  You've been quite the vocal advocate and while I hate seeing someone come under so much fire for staying positive, I have to admit, you've made me think through my brand loyalty and commitments. 

With my quadruplets getting ready to come home from the NICU any day now, it's hard for me to say that I'll spend X dollars and X time to a new game that I know nothing about.  Thanks for volunteering to be the Guinea Pig.   :::cheers:::

Offline Darknight

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2015, 01:51:45 PM »
One person is enough!

I shall get it and make the video!

Offline Gankom

• Members
  • The World Builder
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2015, 03:38:43 PM »
I'd appreciate seeing the video as well. I'm currently leaning towards getting the set, but probably not right away. I also live way to far away from a games workshop to go in and see things. I think it would be interesting to see whats coming in the box.

Offline knightofthelance

• Members
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2015, 04:17:41 PM »
I'd be interested to see it. And some size comparisons on the minis with warhammer ones.  If the one posted in the other thread wasn't in some way photoshopped (it's the internet, it could happen) I've another reason to be hesitant about this game.

Offline Darknight

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2015, 04:18:33 PM »
Yeah, size comps were totally going to be a thing.

Offline LochNESS

• Members
  • Averland - That's where I am
« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2015, 04:24:18 PM »
I've never understood the "unboxing vid" phenomenon.  I don't get why they exist.   Don't we already know what's in the box?

I do however, it is sharing enthousiasm often combined with it is also a quick review and of course a more detailed look into the components. More detailed than pictures as you can see evrything from all sides. It might be useless, but it is great to hear people being enthousastic or disappointed...
Design stays, however, according to my opinion, at least partially something miraculous. -J. Bakema (Architect)

Count of Averland - Check out my boardgame, wargame and hobby blog here!

Offline Daymz

• Members
« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2015, 08:38:48 PM »
I'd also very much appreciate you doing said vid. I'd be very interested to see in detail what is there, from another hobbyist's perspective. Thanks!

Offline Darknight

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2015, 10:09:42 PM »
I shall definitely do it then - even though I have totally spent my hobby budget on other things this month! (Models for an Inquisitor28mm game).

Offline The Peacemaker

• Members
  • Baron Karl von Balombine of Wissenland
« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2015, 10:27:19 PM »

well its an unboxing/review video. So there is also a review of the game involved.

And to darknight. ....do you have a utube channel or anything?
I'll be watching a few people on utube who are doing the same thing. So I might tune into yours as well.
For Wissenland and the Countess!!!

My Painting Blog
My Entire Gallery

Offline Sajek

• Members
« Reply #15 on: July 02, 2015, 03:17:14 AM »
I would greatly appreciate an unboxing video, I'm really not liking this thing... but if I'm able to see it before I buy it or make my way to the store that'd be amazing. although I will be watching it while enjoying a very strong drink.

Offline Fidelis von Sigmaringen

• Members
  • Attorney-at-RAW
« Reply #16 on: July 02, 2015, 03:57:10 PM »
Just like the box of Pandora, it is best left closed. But hope flees last.
It is not enough to have no ideas of your own; you must also be incapable of expressing them.
Sex, lies and manuscripts: The History of the Empire as Depicted in the Art of the Time (10/07/16)

Offline StealthKnightSteg

• Members
  • Squishing Squickhoppers since 1999
    • https://www.facebook.com/vincent.goede
Everyone is entitled to be stupid, but some abuse the privilege.

"Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music." -- Kristian Wilson, Nintendo, Inc, 1989

Offline StealthKnightSteg

• Members
  • Squishing Squickhoppers since 1999
    • https://www.facebook.com/vincent.goede
« Reply #18 on: July 05, 2015, 07:11:20 PM »
unboxing blog here:
http://taleofpainters.blogspot.nl/2015/07/review-warhammer-age-of-sigmar-starter.html

Some interesting stuff from the book:

Of the other races, little is known yet. There are two pages describing four great alliances.

Order – Sigmar and his forces, the Duardin (Dwarfs), the mercenary Red Slayers (Dwarf Slayers?), Aelfs (Elves) and the mysterious Seraphon (Lizardmen?). Empire and Brettonia are not mentioned, apart from the "refugees of the Old World" wink before.
Chaos – Warriors and Daemons of Chaos, as well as "brayheards" (Beastmen) and Skaven.
Death – Deathrattlers and Deathwalkers are mentioned (Skeleton Warriors and Zombies?), as well as Soulblight Vampires and Nagash himself.
Destruction – Orruks (Orcs), Grots (Goblins) and Ogors (Ogres), also hints about all sorts of other beasties.
Everyone is entitled to be stupid, but some abuse the privilege.

"Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music." -- Kristian Wilson, Nintendo, Inc, 1989

Offline Darknight

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #19 on: July 11, 2015, 06:23:06 PM »
Here is my vid (as promised)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k-UWehF_V_w

Am assembling models now, and will post other vids etc. as mood strikes - but if you have specific questions, do ask!

Offline Darknight

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
Re: AoS Unboxing Video (Now with actual video)
« Reply #20 on: July 11, 2015, 07:02:09 PM »
In which I comment on the Dracolith;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tQODJsuj9zY

Offline Syphon

• Members
« Reply #21 on: July 11, 2015, 09:14:40 PM »
I shall definitely do it then - even though I have totally spent my hobby budget on other things this month! (Models for an Inquisitor28mm game).

See, that I -can- get behind. 28mm of Inquisitorial fun that could easily escalate into bigger games as your inquisitor requisitions more forces. I like this post a lot better than your pro-AOS stuff, Dar Knigget!
Now go! Ride towards the sun atop these noble steeds
You're our spandex heroes, now fullfil your destinies
And so we turned and rode beyond the castle walls
with shiny codpiece armour that doth cradle our chivalrous balls

Offline Baron von Klatz

• Members
  • warhammer> All other works of mankind
« Reply #22 on: July 11, 2015, 09:39:36 PM »
Nice videos,  Darknight.  :::cheers:::

Interesting to hear how hollow the figures are, certainly a good move on reducing costs to GW and making it easier to convert the models.

My favorite line of yours was "there are many boxes like it but this one is mine". :laugh:
"No battle is ever meaningless for all life is merely death post-poned"
-elector count of the Empire.

Offline iatroblast

• Members
  • Invincibility at no extra charge!
« Reply #23 on: July 11, 2015, 10:44:32 PM »
Cool video. It's nice that you can split the sprues in Sigmarites and Chaos easily, but i wouldn't use the transfer sheets. For some reason they never work for me

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
  • Happy Spring! : )
« Reply #24 on: July 15, 2015, 01:33:05 PM »
Here is my vid (as promised)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k-UWehF_V_w

Am assembling models now, and will post other vids etc. as mood strikes - but if you have specific questions, do ask!
Seemed like low key enthusiasm.  Enjoyed the video. :::cheers:::

Smart of them to turn the 4 page rules into hard cardstock/heavy paper.
"Not all who wander are lost ... " Tolkien

"... my old suggestion is forget it, take two aspirins and go paint" steveb

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

"Until death it is all life." Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra