home

Author Topic: The Province of STIRLAND  (Read 117810 times)

Offline Gneisenau

• Members
  • Alleged Ungulate
Re: The Province of STIRLAND
« Reply #50 on: October 31, 2007, 12:55:43 AM »
You asked for comments...  :icon_wink:

- Knights in red will probably look cool in a Stirland army due to the colour contrast. Nice background story!
- A steam tank is expensive, Stirland is poor... that could be a problem.
- At first, I thought "Highlanders" and "Stirland" somewhat clash. But on the other hand, people in the plains are entitled to long beards and skirts as well. I'm looking forward to see the pipes, hope you have some pictures!

If you're feeling patriotic, be sure to read Douchie's Stirlander story in the Imperial Office.

Offline cpt_machine

• Members
« Reply #51 on: January 05, 2008, 06:54:25 PM »
I'm new to the forum and to the game of warhammer, I dabbled about 10 years ago but now with a fully paid job I can now afford the hobby and a bunch of mates are starting armies too.
I've been running a Warhammer RPG game set in Stirland for some time now so I'll be making an army led by Count Von Stople as he starts his one man crusade against Slyvannia.
Pictures will follow when I have painted the figs.

Offline elcubano

• Members
« Reply #52 on: January 07, 2008, 09:38:01 AM »
You asked for comments...  :icon_wink:

- Knights in red will probably look cool in a Stirland army due to the colour contrast. Nice background story!
- A steam tank is expensive, Stirland is poor... that could be a problem.
- At first, I thought "Highlanders" and "Stirland" somewhat clash. But on the other hand, people in the plains are entitled to long beards and skirts as well. I'm looking forward to see the pipes, hope you have some pictures!

If you're feeling patriotic, be sure to read Douchie's Stirlander story in the Imperial Office.

A steam tank could fit in just fine.....just say it is quite old, rusty, barley in working condition. Or as a gift from Nuln or another state.
Or you could use a shiny new one for the new Marienburg campain......as Stirland was much more prominent in those days.

I have just started work on my tank and will be converting it to be in "salvaged" condition, with patches, rust, some duct tape.....well, maybe not, but I like the idea of having pulled it out of the swamp in sylvania, after 100 years in the muck it will look quite rotton, but awsome. Will use sticks, small pieces of wook as patches, maybe create a few holes, ext.
Where did my Dogs of War go?......

Offline Conrad_of_Stirland

• Members
« Reply #53 on: January 30, 2008, 08:35:15 AM »
Sorry Im so late (about 6 years) the um harvest was a big one...
My General goes by Konrad Seusenhoffer of the Grand Province of Stirland, a somewhat irrational and oft times intoxicated ( :::cheers::: ) Imperial commander.
I dont play a themed force often enough (I started collecting before I had any idea what fluff was or what Stirland was about which I regret) but when I do my army is linked to the Blazing Sun Templars so i include my order foot (greatswords) initiates (pistoliers) and the knights themselves along with trying to include huntsmen(with halflings), spearmen and crossbows.
The real problem is the artillery since I like having 2 cannon which is unfortunately unstirland in a way, though not as bad as the helblaster. I suppose the Blazing Sun order is rich enough that it could provide the artillery but it still makes me feel uneasy. What are others thoughts on Stirland themes?
« Last Edit: January 30, 2008, 08:39:02 AM by Conrad_of_Stirland »
My General once fled the board on turn two twice in one day.
For all that, my faith in the Empire is unbending.

Offline Raidst

• Members
« Reply #54 on: April 06, 2008, 10:29:38 AM »
Hey guys, I'm new to the forums and new to warhammer.  I've collected and built some ogres, but feel Empire suits me a bit better. 

I've noticed that a lot of you see Stirland as a nod to Russian culture, I see them fitting into the Empire much in the same way that Hungary fits into Europe, actually.  Reasons for this include the regions superb wine and agrarian culture (not much growing in Russia, and the Tokaj region of Hungary is known throughout Europe for its wine), its resentment of the decision to give land to the halflings (reminiscent of the post WW1 decision to give Transylvania to Romania), and the fact that Sylvania (an obvious nod to Translyvania) lies within its borders (which Transylvania did during the middle ages).  Other factors include the morose nature of Stirland citizens (something Hungarians exemplify very well), and the prominence of religion in Stirland (primarily Sigmar and Morr), which mirrors Hungary's devout catholic populace.

Please respond with grievances about my assertion :smile2:...also, tips on collecting Empire on the cheap (I'm still in college after all).
Stirland...we don't need shoes, we got wine!

Offline Nicholas Bies

• Members
  • puzzling
« Reply #55 on: April 07, 2008, 12:30:44 AM »
well technically transylvania was a principality of its own under Hungarian vassalisation. Wallachia and Moldavia were also vassals of Hungary or the Ottoman Empire at various times.

I like yellow and green which is why I play stirland =)

My army is an army that's been joined by the Emperor and his personal Champion who have bought along an extensive artillery train (2 cannons, 2 helstorms from Altdorf). Together with the Knights of Burnished Gold (red paint scheme with Gold trim). They are marching into Sylanvia to raise Drakenhof Castle to the foundations so no vampire count can use it as his capitol again. Due to the importance of this mission Karl Franz is leading it himself.

Who knows what awaits him in Sylvania?

I'm going to play with the above as my tourny fluff.

The greatest form of control which can go on forever until it is exposed is a tyranny you can't see, touch and taste (unlike totalitarian Govts). When you sit in a prison cell but can't see the bars, because people don't rebel against not being free when they think they're are.

Offline Scotsgit

• Members
« Reply #56 on: April 16, 2008, 05:43:01 PM »
Hmm, got to admit that Stirland does sound a nice idea for my next army... :happy:
I re-enact therefore I am

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
  • Happy Spring! : )
« Reply #57 on: April 17, 2008, 12:46:37 AM »
I've noticed that a lot of you see Stirland as a nod to Russian culture, I see them fitting into the Empire much in the same way that Hungary fits into Europe, actually.

Please respond with grievances about my assertion :smile2:...also, tips on collecting Empire on the cheap (I'm still in college after all).
Seems possible to me.  And Averland to Austria.  And Wissenland to Switzerland.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2008, 09:46:00 AM by GamesPoet »
"Not all who wander are lost ... " Tolkien

"... my old suggestion is forget it, take two aspirins and go paint" steveb

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

"Until death it is all life." Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra

Offline Raidst

• Members
« Reply #58 on: April 18, 2008, 03:29:59 AM »
New question:  this might go somewhere, else...(please feel free to move it and spare my indiscretion if it does :engel:)

I'm new to warhammer, so I'm constructing my army in 500 point chunks, that way after I'm done with the first I can play some border patrol, then 1,000 point games etc.  Anyway, my first 500 is Stir River Patrol and consists of some spears w/militia detachments, a captain, some handgunners and a cannon (The River Patrol fluff says they employ some guns, but I swear that's where it'll end :blush:).  So for my second 500 points I wanted to make some Stirland nobles, mostly knights and pistoliers I imagine.  I want my pistoliers to be mounted archers though, in order to round out the fluff.  I was wondering if fielding Kislev mounted archers would work, or if I should just put some archer arms on the pistolier models and also if I should field them as pistoliers or use the stats for the kislev mounted archers (opponent permitting of course).  Well, what do you guys think?

Offline Nicholas Bies

• Members
  • puzzling
« Reply #59 on: April 20, 2008, 02:35:31 AM »

Well my Stirland army includes Outriders, Pisoliers, 2 cannons, 2 Helstorms and 2 Steam Tanks (not that I field them all at the same time).

My other missiles are 20 Crossbowmen and 10 Archers.

Bow and Arrows are a "peasants" weapon and this view is carried across in the fact only militia can be equipped with them. Stirland nobles should be able to afford 2 pistols for their sons.

I believe it's more the Stirland treasury isn't highly advanced (based off an agricultural society and not close to any trade routes) so they cannot afford as MANY cannon or newfangled equipment that other states can.

I get around this by saying my AL Father Phigure and his apprentices Father Rondowne and Father Tousun blackmailed the engineer guild into sending some experimental weaponry for my crusade against Sylvania.
The greatest form of control which can go on forever until it is exposed is a tyranny you can't see, touch and taste (unlike totalitarian Govts). When you sit in a prison cell but can't see the bars, because people don't rebel against not being free when they think they're are.

Offline Raidst

• Members
« Reply #60 on: April 20, 2008, 07:51:07 AM »
Hmmm... I see the point (though I think two stanks and that many artillery is a little much :biggriin:), but I'll probably just go ahead and steal some archer arms from my FC box for the pistoliers.  Adds to the rustic feel, I think.  While the nobility of the province should be wealthier than the plebes, I still think in a place like Stirland maybe the whole economy should be on a smaller scale. 

Thanks for the insight into your army though!  :smile2:

Offline Nicholas Bies

• Members
  • puzzling
« Reply #61 on: April 21, 2008, 10:11:54 AM »

Well my army is now close to 4000 points maybe more. I Should check the total amount some time.

Offline wissenlander

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
  • The original Graf of Brennenburg
« Reply #62 on: April 21, 2008, 11:01:22 AM »
Sigmar's Heirs talks about how Stirland has the impression of being poor, but most of it is just a misunderstanding.  Its not as afluent as Averland, but probably not as poor as everyone makes it out to be.  I'm sure the troubles of the past have made people continue to think that it's near bankruptcy.
Me and Wissenlander had babies!

not together.

finding photographic evidense that Wiss smiles is going to be hard...

Offline Raidst

• Members
« Reply #63 on: April 24, 2008, 12:37:05 AM »
Sigmar's Heirs talks about how Stirland has the impression of being poor, but most of it is just a misunderstanding.  Its not as afluent as Averland, but probably not as poor as everyone makes it out to be.  I'm sure the troubles of the past have made people continue to think that it's near bankruptcy.
yeah, I just got my hands on a copy of that, thanks for the help!

Offline Dihenydd

• Members
  • Back on Hiatus
« Reply #64 on: July 11, 2008, 08:30:49 PM »
Hmmm I can't believe I've never noticed this before.

I run a River Patrol army.  It is dutifully manned with halberdiers as the mainstay, a few different types of calvary and of course Ogre Mercenaries.  I'll try to get some pics up soon.

It is lead by Iolinda de Chauvier, wife of a Brettonian 4th son who carved out a home in the Border Princedoms.  They spend their time back and forth between the two lands.  They have also been spotted in other locations in the world following their grand adventures.  I have written some materials and may post something here if interest is shown.  My armies tend to the TVI style with lots of 'pointy sticks'.  I don't play Empire Rare's, instead always inserting some kind of DoW.  It may not fit the region, but I always take a CASKETASUS.  I'm sorry, I shout that a lot....
Sometimes the "Old Ones" just need to leave.....

Offline Karl Voss of Averland

• Members
  • Captain of Loningbruck
« Reply #65 on: July 14, 2008, 03:24:33 AM »

From reading Sigmar's heirs, I got more of an impression that stirland is more back-woods-ish.

"At their worst, Stirlanders are isolationist, suspicious and hidebound, stubbornly holding onto traditional methods in a manner similar to the Dwarfs. They're slow to befriend, often taking years to accept newcomers into a community."

The province isn't the wealthiest, but is constantly threatened by the undead to the east along with the many other horrors that lurk in the woods that cover the majority of the province. I think the south central part of the province is considerably wealthier than the rest of the province as the forest ends and rolling plains begin into Averland. Access to the river Aver must be considerably helpful too. I think during the time period of our Marienburg campaign, Averland actually controls this portion of Stirland, north of Averheim and the Averburg.
I sexually violated the cat.  When we have children I will push harder for this time honored and enjoyable tradition

Remembering what Rufas started and endures in us all

Offline moctez112

• Members
« Reply #66 on: August 02, 2008, 08:44:49 AM »
Hi I'm new to this forum and my Army is from Stirland
"Ah Yes mere Infantry....Poor Beggars"

Offline Velead

• Members
  • I miss Rufas.
« Reply #67 on: August 02, 2008, 09:41:47 AM »
Hi I'm new to this forum and my Army is from Stirland

As long as you're not from Nordland (Rufas (and nobody else) being exempt), you're a friend of mine. Welcome!
One man's astonishing is another man's urinal cake.

Phil

Offline Lucky

• Members
« Reply #68 on: August 29, 2008, 09:44:25 AM »
Hi all.

Like many I'm new to Warhammer and the Empire. For a change of pace I decided to paint some fantasy minis and I've always liked the Empire style. I'm drawn to Stirland due to it's scruffy and backward reputation. I foresee my army being part Sharpe- part Wicker Man. I've got a fair idea what to go for for my first purchase and the first 500 points, watch the army list area as mine will be posted in the next couple of days.

That's all really, all I need to say is that I'm loving the Empire smileys!  :biggriin:

(I just ran the spellcheck and it asked me if I wanted to change 'biggriin' [the smiley] to 'buggering'!)

Offline Douchie

• Members
  • The Army of Eastern Stirland
« Reply #69 on: September 11, 2008, 12:25:27 PM »

(I just ran the spellcheck and it asked me if I wanted to change 'biggriin' [the smiley] to 'buggering'!)

Lol, you really don't want to see that smiley  :icon_eek:

Welcome to the boards, I look forward to seeing pics of your army when you get some painted.

Offline Lucky

• Members
« Reply #70 on: September 12, 2008, 12:37:04 PM »
Thanks Douchie.

Currently I've modelled a warrior priest and some flagellants; the yellow and green will be coming up after that. When I do start my state troops I'm going to be wanting a nice rich green, does anyone have any tips?

Kris

« Reply #71 on: September 27, 2008, 09:43:17 PM »
I've been into the Warhammer games off-and-on for years now.  I used to have a bit of a High Elf army before I found Warhammer 40k about five or six years ago and this is the first I've returned to Fantasy since then.  I am a complete fluff player, and usually have some of the most bizzare army lists as a result of that; when I decided to pick Empire I origionally thought about Ostermark because of the obvious connections to Austria (Osterreich) and the Habsburg family -- not to meantion regal purple and gold robes are pretty as anything.  As I read more into the Fantasy setting though I kind of changed my mind and wanted an Army with perhaps a bit more colour to it.  Since I'm a huge fan of masses of Infantry I thought what about an Army drawn (recruited?) from Sylvania?  Presumably when the Empire has a large war effort in place the milita forces swell as common people are pressed into military service and despite Sylvania's troubled past why not draw from the population of that region?  So I'm currently in the process of making a Stirland army with the colours of Sylvania modified to look like an irregular levvied army with perhaps one or two units of provinvial soldiers who presumably forced the locals to draw arms and fight alongside the rest of the Empire.

EDIT: Fixed spelling of Habsburg 
« Last Edit: September 27, 2008, 10:57:02 PM by Kris »

Offline Graf Weber

• Members
« Reply #72 on: October 05, 2008, 05:47:35 PM »
Hello there.

Well, first post and all. Very exciting. I'd like to remark on how glad I am to see so many dedicated to the greatest province in the Empire. I've been playing a Stirland army for almost 9 years now (off and on, but mostly on) and would get no end of shit from my other Imperial friends. Hell, we may be poor, but who cares when we seem to have an abnormally high concentration of Emperors spilling from our lands. Gives you something to think about. As a side note, most of my friends came to understand and respect the Stirland war machine, smelly and cheap as it may be.

Because when I started playing, the army colors in the back of the 6th Edition Empire book showed the Stirland Swordsman with an all green uniform and yellow socks, that was the color scheme that worked for me. None of this silly quarter uniform scheme. Stirland can't afford that. So I currently am sporting 2,000 pts of finished, painted, and happy soldiers of Stirland. I had very little that was salvageable from my old army, so they are being pressed into service by the VC army my friend has. A sad fate for the poor buggers, but I'm sure that's what they would have wanted. Wait. Probably not actually, but I look forward to killing them.

Will work to put up pictures at the soonest possible opportunity, but for the moment I have a question for all of you Stirlanders out there, as it one that has probably given me the most cause for thought:

The Reiksguard. We've all seen them, and they irritate me. Guard of the Emperor blah blah blah. If I were an Elector Count, I'd darn sure have cause to equip and maintain an order of Knights that served as my bodyguard. Yes, we have the Greatswords, and they're terrific, but I want something more. I want horses and lances. So I did some researching back in the day when my fluff craze was in full swing and dug up some info on the Order of the Black Rose, founded in the Time of the Three Emperors as the bodyguard of the Elector of Stirland (and thus the TRUE emperor). I though to myself, great. Cool. I know what Order my Knights will be. And then I read that they shift their loyalties at the drop of a hat, and I say, no. These are not my knights.

So I looked at the Reiksguard and thought: "Hey, if the Reik has a guard, why can't the Stir? We've produced a boatload of Emperors. We need, nay, we DESERVE a Stirguard." And thus my Order was Born. The Knights of the Stirguard are dedicated to the protection of the Elector of Stirland, and wear a nice burnished armor with plumes of Green and Yellow. Thoughts? I'll put a picture of them up soon, but I thought if anyone has any alternative ideas, I would very much like to hear them.

Cheers!

Offline wissenlander

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
  • The original Graf of Brennenburg
« Reply #73 on: October 06, 2008, 12:17:20 PM »
That's the reasoning I came up with for my knightly order, the Wissengaurd, but with a slight twist.  I think it works nicely.  Welcome to the forum! :::cheers:::
Me and Wissenlander had babies!

not together.

finding photographic evidense that Wiss smiles is going to be hard...

Offline Douchie

• Members
  • The Army of Eastern Stirland
« Reply #74 on: October 17, 2008, 10:55:56 PM »
Welcome to the forum Graf Weber.

I too, am a long suffering Stirland General and also came across the same issue when deciding upon a unit of knights, in the end I chose 'The order of the sacred sythes' an off-shoot of the knights of Morr that patrol our border with Sylvania.

Stirland's highest honour is the 'Order of the Thorny Rose' so I was going to base my order around that and the 'knights of the Black Rose'. i hadn't decided upon a name, obviously 'rose' would go in there some where, but I was going to have them as a band of all or nothing knights desperate to restore their orders dodgy history. I love the fluff side of the hobby so this maybe something I can re-visit.

I think the Stirguard is a very good idea for an order. finally someone can show those elf loving Reiklanders how to fight.

I Look forward to seeing pics of your army.