home

Author Topic: What makes a player a great General?  (Read 16137 times)

Offline RGB

• Members
Re: What makes a player a great General?
« Reply #100 on: April 24, 2008, 04:24:36 AM »
Wasn't it during this period that Finland was annexed from Sweden?  :biggriin:

That was in 1809 and in fact part of the Coalition Wars. The Vienna Congress confirmed Russia's gains.
[in the good of life]

Offline Mathi Alfblut

• Members
  • intres cum fixura sine misericordia
« Reply #101 on: April 24, 2008, 08:14:18 AM »
As RGB points out, that was 200 years later roughly.
I shall check my litterature, but De la Gardie took Moscow in the early 1600:eds. Russia took Finland in the war of 1808-1809 and really took away the last remants of Swedens days as a strong power in the region. Sweden lost more than a third of its total land, and it lost some of the hardest units in the army.
Oh, and remember GW made it personal, not you!

Offline Nicholas Bies

• Members
  • puzzling
« Reply #102 on: April 24, 2008, 05:50:54 PM »

ah my mistake I had my Tsar's mixed up. It was Alexander I. He was a pretty nifty Tsar as well. Too bad he was an accomplice in the assassination of his father- the francophile Paul I. Or Paul II can never remember.

Wish a Catherine the Great type personality existed today.

Actually theres a fun series of books where the Russian Revolution failed but the Romanov's lost power to another family. The Russian Empire rules the world but follows a theif/romanov outcast. First book is called "From Russia with Lust" I find it fun to read =)

Then again I find the same authors work on Vampire on the Eastern Front to be fun as well...

BTW. Louis Davot > Napoleon.
The greatest form of control which can go on forever until it is exposed is a tyranny you can't see, touch and taste (unlike totalitarian Govts). When you sit in a prison cell but can't see the bars, because people don't rebel against not being free when they think they're are.