home

Author Topic: An idea for a tabletop wargame - Movement dials (like X-Wing)  (Read 2980 times)

Offline Warlord

• Global Moderator
  • Members
  • Sydney, Australia
An idea for a tabletop wargame - Movement dials (like X-Wing)
« on: November 03, 2016, 12:44:53 AM »
So, having played X-Wing and Warhammer (and other games), what would you all think about a game that combines the simplicity of X-Wing Movement and Action cycles, with the complexity of Warhammer?

For example, using the movement dials, simultaneous movement, having a characteristic that determine priority of movement, and then actions afterwards (shooting, magic or combat all rolled into 1 phase).

As some of you may know, I have wanted to design a wargame for a bit, since the demise of Warhammer, one which is based on strategy and movement, as well as mathematics for "balanced" (or at least transparent) army construction.
Previously I was of the mind of using similar movement to Warhammer, but the thought struck me the other day that movement dials would be a good way to do it also...
Quote from: Gneisenau
I hate people who don't paint their armies, hate them with all my guts. Beats me how they value other things over painting, like eating or brushing teeth.

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Members
  • i'm a mercenary doom bringer
Re: An idea for a tabletop wargame - Movement dials (like X-Wing)
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2016, 02:56:49 AM »
What do you mean by movement dials? (I've never played Xwing)

Offline Cannonofdoom

• Members
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2016, 03:00:11 AM »
In X-Wing each model has a dial with all the possible movements that model can make. Each player takes a moment before each turn and selects in secret one of those movements for each model. The dials are placed face down to hide the selection from your opponent. Once all the dials are set, they cannot be changed. The models then move in an order determined by each model's Pilot Skill stat (which also determines the order for shooting).

CannonofDoom spews his shit at me all the time and I haven't banned him.

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Members
  • i'm a mercenary doom bringer
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2016, 03:25:16 AM »
Ah, ok. Similar to maneuvers in a lot of the WWI air games I've played (Blue Max, Canvas Eagles, Wings of War...) I like the idea in those games. Theoretically it seems like it could be interesting in a fantasy battle game, as long as you're willing to treat units like units, and not micromanage and micromaneuver with individual figures. Would be an interesting experiment - IGO/UGO mechanics are getting a bit stale for me.

Offline Darknight

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
  • Dipped in Magic, Clothed in Science
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2016, 11:34:03 AM »
It was the same in the old Space Fleet game (which was, in my view, superior to Battlefleet Gothic).
Completed Projects | History of Ophelia VII

Quote from: PhillyT
Everyone finds their balance between satisfaction and obsession.

Offline Warlord

• Global Moderator
  • Members
  • Sydney, Australia
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2016, 02:21:49 PM »
After I wrote this, I did a search to find out if there were any....

And Fantasy Flight (Makers of X-Wing) are making one called Rune Wars, released next year.
https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2016/8/5/runewars-the-miniatures-game/

I am now very curious....
Quote from: Gneisenau
I hate people who don't paint their armies, hate them with all my guts. Beats me how they value other things over painting, like eating or brushing teeth.

Offline warhammerlord_soth

• Administrator
  • Members
  • Eurobash : Ascension weekend. Be there !
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2016, 03:35:57 PM »
So am I...

Been waiting for a while now...

Have one  on Midaski's tab.  :::cheers:::
Famous last words. R.I.P.

Offline Cannonofdoom

• Members
CannonofDoom spews his shit at me all the time and I haven't banned him.

Offline Michael W

• Members
  • In the Name of the Emperor since 2001
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2016, 11:36:22 PM »
Looks intriguing.  Played a few historicals using a similar system, and it's definitely a worthwhile concept.  Dials'd make me happy by requiring fewer chips and tokens, too. 
Let them taste Reikland steel!
----------------------------