home

Author Topic: Re: My Empire painting blog - Light wizard in progress  (Read 31731 times)

Offline Playonwords

• Members
Re: My Empire painting blog - Light wizard in progress
« on: April 13, 2012, 04:54:03 AM »
Hot on the heels of my first post with my tower of witchfate is my actual empire painting blog. Ive already painted quite a lot of empire so ill show you the ones i actually have photos of already.

My empire general

My steam tank

« Last Edit: March 21, 2014, 07:56:23 AM by Playonwords »

Offline theforgefather

• Members
  • Hello!
Re: My Empire painting blog
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2012, 08:23:16 AM »
wow :icon_surprised:. work, why is the little griffon about to be squished? :icon_wink:
i like your bold, clear colour scheme

Offline StealthKnightSteg

• Members
  • Squishing Squickhoppers since 1999
    • https://www.facebook.com/vincent.goede
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2012, 09:37:40 AM »
So I guess you went with an Altdorf theme?  :happy:

I would say that it's a very crisp looking army for the table top and very bright.
But at first glance I would say that your aim was getting it table top ready as fast as possible without getting sloppy, as the colors don't look like you made much depth to it (mostly the state troopers)

But still looks good!!
Everyone is entitled to be stupid, but some abuse the privilege.

"Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music." -- Kristian Wilson, Nintendo, Inc, 1989

Offline Maza

• Members
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2012, 07:20:08 PM »
Nice - bright and clean look. Good work!

Exceptional work on the general! But maybe it was a bit unfortunate to take away the hammer head from the skeleton crest on the horse's head. Perverted maniacs on the internet will get the wrong kinds of associations...

(Please excuse my childish sense of humour  :icon_redface:)

Offline Playonwords

• Members
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2012, 03:33:52 AM »
Thanks for the kind words all.

Yes StealthKnightSteg - there is no depth. Partly cause i wanted it done in a hurry and partly because i really didnt know how to shade well. Empire was my first ever warhammer army and back then i really sucked at painting. It was mainly a case of "paint within the lines" and hope it looked ok. Im getting better slowly. See my wood elf army to see how ive improved: http://www.asrai.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=19099

Maza - i know, i know - the stupid hammerhead broke off, and now that skeleton on the horses' headpiece looks like itd belong better on a Chaod Slaaneshi character. I hoped noone would notice....

theforgefather - a few people have also made that comment about the griffon. Maybe ill remove it - it was just supposed to be decoration.

Offline mr chumley warner

• Members
  • Ninth Age , paint everything, Metal Only !
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2012, 06:19:59 AM »
vibrant!

Love the general

Ask yourself , what is real? 5 sense filtered reality is a very limited perspective.

Offline StealthKnightSteg

• Members
  • Squishing Squickhoppers since 1999
    • https://www.facebook.com/vincent.goede
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2012, 09:04:36 AM »
Thanks for the kind words all.

Yes StealthKnightSteg - there is no depth. Partly cause i wanted it done in a hurry and partly because i really didnt know how to shade well. Empire was my first ever warhammer army and back then i really sucked at painting. It was mainly a case of "paint within the lines" and hope it looked ok. Im getting better slowly. See my wood elf army to see how ive improved: http://www.asrai.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=19099

Ow indeed that looks way better!!
Everyone is entitled to be stupid, but some abuse the privilege.

"Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music." -- Kristian Wilson, Nintendo, Inc, 1989

Offline Heinrich Kramer

• Members
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2012, 12:03:52 PM »
Really like the general's horses barding - first time I've seen it painted in colours rather than metallics.

Offline Zak

• Members
  • Mad Viking
    • Mad Viking
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2012, 12:32:30 PM »
 :::cheers::: very nice dude
Yes I'm dyslexic so what

Offline Playonwords

• Members
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2012, 09:37:50 AM »
New demigryphs

Offline Orcslayer

• Members
  • I salute you
« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2012, 03:27:13 AM »
I love the additions to the bases you made. Wonderful work!
W/D/L with new army book: 30/15/20

Offline Spjuth

• Members
« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2012, 06:15:48 PM »
Well done!

• Members
« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2012, 09:51:33 PM »
Blue looks amazzzzing on the chickens mate!!

inspiring

Ask yourself , what is real? 5 sense filtered reality is a very limited perspective.

Offline Playonwords

• Members
« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2012, 11:56:07 AM »
Thanks for the kind words all - they are meant to be knights panther demigryphs, hence the colour (and ive actually written on the latinisezed word "Panthera" on one of the models to try and indicate that).

But as i was painting i realised that ive stupidly gone and added things like the griffon banner without even thinking about it, which are probably meant for other knightly orders which use the griffon as their symbol (ie. Griffon legion), instead of the panther. Maybe they have then become a new knightly demigryph order - made up by those of the young empire nobility who finished uni and couldnt make up their minds what to do - im sure it happens in the warhammer world too.

Offline Darknight

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
  • Dipped in Magic, Clothed in Science
« Reply #14 on: November 20, 2012, 08:35:44 AM »
I think the Griffon is a generic-enough Imperial symbol to not be an issue. These Knights Panther are riding Demigryphons, after all!
Completed Projects | History of Ophelia VII

Quote from: PhillyT
Everyone finds their balance between satisfaction and obsession.

Offline Playonwords

• Members
« Reply #15 on: January 03, 2013, 01:54:43 AM »
Just finished Ludwig Schwarzhelm - i liked the GW paint scheme too much, so just i copied that. Man, it took a long time! The model is incredibly detailed - hats off to whoever sculpted that at GW.

It was my first attempt at non-metallic painting as you might see on a few bits. The 'power sword' type look on the Sword of Vengeance was also a first try - although i think thatll need a few touchups where the blending isnt quite even.

But overall im happy.

As always, comments appreciated

Offline Hoodling

• Members
« Reply #16 on: January 03, 2013, 04:48:01 AM »
He looks great - nice, clean colours. I think the sword looks good too.  :::cheers:::

• Members
« Reply #17 on: January 03, 2013, 08:33:01 AM »
 :::cheers::: :eusa_clap:

Offline takenoko

• Members
  • Altdorf will prevail!
« Reply #18 on: January 03, 2013, 09:22:49 AM »
New Ludwig Swartzhelm is imo one of the best Empire sculpts ever, and your painting does him great justice! Not a fan of non-metallic metal, but your painting on his sword is really nice.Great-looking model!

• Members
« Reply #19 on: January 03, 2013, 09:27:23 AM »
Death to all but Metal!

Offline Playonwords

• Members
« Reply #20 on: January 04, 2013, 01:47:09 AM »
Thanks for the comments all. Yeah, the non-metallic metal was only used on the banner where real metal paint didnt seem appropriate, after all banners are made of fabric not metal. Plus the GW paint job seems to use non-metallic gold to do karl-franz's hammer on the banner, so thats why i also did it for the crown on the back of the banner.

In hindsight, i probably could have gone ahead with real metal paint on the banner. Im sure in medieval times gold thread was used in clothes/tapestries/banners all the time.

Offline Tarnell

• Members
« Reply #21 on: February 14, 2013, 12:57:03 AM »
After just completing him also, I agree that it is a brilliant sculpt. It took me longer than expected too. Using a light colour on the background of the banner was the biggest cause. You've done a stellar job on the banner btw.

Offline Delthos

• Members
  • Evil Polish Guy
« Reply #22 on: February 14, 2013, 02:50:29 PM »
Death to all but Metal!

He says even though he has a plastic Black Dragon, plastic Luminark, plastic Hurricanum....
Ostermark Photo Gallery
Ostermark Painting Log
"Kill 'em all and let Morr sort 'em out!" (General Ghent, Battle of Dumsky's Fallow)

Offline Playonwords

• Members
« Reply #23 on: February 16, 2013, 12:29:32 PM »
After just completing him also, I agree that it is a brilliant sculpt. It took me longer than expected too. Using a light colour on the background of the banner was the biggest cause. You've done a stellar job on the banner btw.

Thanks Tarnell. The yellow over a black undercoat for the background of the banner sure did take a few coats. Yellow is such a diffcult colour to work with! Post a link to your own Ludwig paint job as well though - id be interested to see it

Offline The Ol Perfesser

• Members
« Reply #24 on: February 16, 2013, 08:54:11 PM »
Very nice indeed!   :::cheers::: :::cheers:::
Never make predictions, especially about the future.