home

Author Topic: Do you think Empire should Have a Shock knight unit?  (Read 9947 times)

Offline kermitthefrog3

• Members
  • For The Emperor!
Do you think Empire should Have a Shock knight unit?
« on: March 04, 2009, 11:08:27 PM »
I think empire should have the option of a shock knight unit. Theyre knights are supposed to be famed for thier charges but our knights seem pretty flimsy unless seriously decked out.

I was thinking:

0-1 Inner Circle Knights - 31pts per model - Special

WS BS S T I A W LD
 5    3  4 3 5 1 1  8

''There are no problems that cannot be solved with cannons''

Offline phillyt

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
  • Watching... always watching...
    • https://www.facebook.com/philip.estabrook.1
Re: Do you think Empire should Have a Shock knight unit?
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2009, 11:11:21 PM »
This does nearly nothing to improve the impact of the knight unit.  A bump to WS only increases the number of hits by 16%.  The only way to significantly increase the hitting power is adding attacks.

And no, the imperial knight does very well.  If you want a shocking cavalry unit, play brettonia.  We do get the 1+ AS, which is awesome!

Phil
Where did she touch you Eight? Show us on the doll.

Offline Markw

• Members
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2009, 11:35:10 PM »
Aye, the 1+ save is just fantastic. The number of times my friend who plays TK gets so irritated when his 2 units of Chariots just bound off my knights.... he crys alot.

Offline MrDWhitey

• Members
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2009, 11:48:51 PM »
TK players have the right to be upset with their book. I admire long term TK players who kept at it (one at my club, he excels with them. Makes me go  :icon_eek: at all the posts saying they're underpowered. Intellectually I know they are but...damn).

I think 'nilla Knights are great as is, Inner Circle aren't so hot, might want +1 attack but that's not something I really want, as it's more a response to the silly amount of units with multiple attacks nowadays.
I thought he should act responsibly and just kill himself.

Offline Elden

• Members
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2009, 01:59:01 AM »
If you want more attacks, just add a WP to your IC knight unit and there you go. more attacks!  :-D

Offline newsun

• Members
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2009, 05:22:56 AM »
could have a rare choice of knight with more attacks or something, but really then it is starting to look a whole lot like brets.

Maybe just model 4(or more) knights on a chariot base and make them look badass and use them as your Stank.

Offline warhammerlord_soth

• Administrator
  • Members
  • Eurobash : Ascension weekend. Be there !
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2009, 06:50:28 AM »
If you want more attacks, just add a WP to your IC knight unit and there you go. more attacks!  :-D

QFT

Otherwise, kill the knights. They hit harder when (un)dead
Have one  on Midaski's tab.  :::cheers:::
Famous last words. R.I.P.

Offline Mathi Alfblut

• Members
  • intres cum fixura sine misericordia
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2009, 09:15:19 AM »
Warrior priests FTW!

I think I will make my great weapon inner circle soon, just to be a good sport about it.
Oh, and remember GW made it personal, not you!

Offline MiB

• Members
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2009, 11:09:47 AM »
TK players have the right to be upset with their book. I admire long term TK players who kept at it (one at my club, he excels with them. Makes me go  :icon_eek: at all the posts saying they're underpowered. Intellectually I know they are but...damn).

I think 'nilla Knights are great as is, Inner Circle aren't so hot, might want +1 attack but that's not something I really want, as it's more a response to the silly amount of units with multiple attacks nowadays.

These days it just so satisfying to pull off a draw with them against the more uber armies, not to mention challenging that they are still worth it. I adore my Tomb Kings

Offline Derek Contyre

• Members
  • Duke of Nueremburg
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2009, 11:38:07 AM »
Tomb Kings are sort of under powered compared to the new rules but when i play my 2250 list with tomb king on chariot in a unit of chariots that seems to make people sweat. . .
Normally i give him the crown of kings (two dice for incantations pick the highest) flail of skulls(each wound caused counts as two, s7 on first round of combat) then unleash him on any tough troops such as dwarfs.( my group of gamers and i had a campaign back in november which i won. nearly half the games i played were against dwarves and i still pullked out on top :icon_mrgreen:)

Our knights aren't there to break a unit unless you take a grand master with the laurels and either sword of power or something else to boost his kill rate. they are there to hold the enemy while that five man nilla squad breaks ranks and runs them down.
A man who builds his army around his fluff . . . respect . . .  :::cheers:::

Offline phillyt

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
  • Watching... always watching...
    • https://www.facebook.com/philip.estabrook.1
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2009, 11:40:30 AM »
We aren't seriously claiming that the TK are underpowered are we?

Seriously?

Phil
Where did she touch you Eight? Show us on the doll.

Offline MiB

• Members
« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2009, 12:15:17 PM »
We aren't seriously claiming that the TK are underpowered are we?

Seriously?

Phil

Only a little, they arent pathetically weak and generally the armies they fight will know they've been in a fight but they'll never be able to compete effectively against Deamons and VC took a lot of there tricks

Offline Derek Contyre

• Members
  • Duke of Nueremburg
« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2009, 12:38:37 PM »
I know this may sound crazy but i don't think they are that under powered. . . sure i would love to see a points drop for skellies like they did for VC and maybe a mix up of the magic items that are now redundant due to the new rules but when I think about it, everyone "complains" about they're army not being good enough.
HEHEHE I remember stumbling onto a sight for Brettonians and they were moaning about how they're cavalry wasn't that great and how Empire get 1+ saves.
Their answer to our 1+ was to say our cav should move 6" a turn because of all that heavy armour. . .
I just couldn't stop laughing.
A man who builds his army around his fluff . . . respect . . .  :::cheers:::

Offline MrDWhitey

• Members
« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2009, 01:38:14 PM »
You should see the VC forum complaining about how difficult it is to maintain their constant massacre wins.

Philly, I probably use the wrong word to describe them. They're an old book, their points are a bit off (too expensive) for the current day, and quite a few of the units are not too hot. Whilst not underpowered, they're not in the top half of armies.

Where I am it's a case of the old Dark Elves. They have a slightly subpar book, and so they work a helluva lot harder to get good results than other players. I remember the Delf player in our group was so good it was frightening. He would constantly win with grace and ease, and no, I haven't played him since he got the new book.

I'm too scared.  :icon_cry:

Offline johnwayne

• Members
« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2009, 03:34:14 PM »
I think cavalry should count as having an extra rank per model. Think about it: they have a 25x50 base, instead of a 25x25, on that base there are two separate entities, so in effect it are two models on the same space as two models. So why not?
Further, the RB says that static CR by ranks is meant to represent the pressing of the men behind the first row. A horse (esp. an armored horse) with a man on top weighs much more than 2 men on foot. So in that respect, I think a guy on a horse deserve as counting as an extra rank!

Offline Nicholas Bies

• Members
  • puzzling
« Reply #15 on: March 05, 2009, 03:36:09 PM »
Isn't the idea of ranks meant to be the knowledge of a man behind you helping you out (keeping you on your feet in the bloody mud etc) and knowing your back isn't exposed?
The greatest form of control which can go on forever until it is exposed is a tyranny you can't see, touch and taste (unlike totalitarian Govts). When you sit in a prison cell but can't see the bars, because people don't rebel against not being free when they think they're are.

Offline Captain Tineal

• Members
  • You will join me or die! Could you do any less?
« Reply #16 on: March 05, 2009, 03:44:46 PM »
I think cavalry should count as having an extra rank per model. Think about it: they have a 25x50 base, instead of a 25x25, on that base there are two separate entities, so in effect it are two models on the same space as two models. So why not?
Further, the RB says that static CR by ranks is meant to represent the pressing of the men behind the first row. A horse (esp. an armored horse) with a man on top weighs much more than 2 men on foot. So in that respect, I think a guy on a horse deserve as counting as an extra rank!

But apply that rule to Chaos Knights, Saurus Cav, and Blood Knights, and what do you get?  A horror show!  :icon_eek:  :-D
I don't know what a pisolires is but it sounds like a musical instrument you play with urine...

Offline MrDWhitey

• Members
« Reply #17 on: March 05, 2009, 03:46:06 PM »
I have two units of Chaos Knights.

mmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

Nice.

Offline Nicholas Bies

• Members
  • puzzling
« Reply #18 on: March 05, 2009, 03:59:26 PM »
10 chaos knights with Mark of Slaanesh are just plain nasty. Khorne I can handle because of the Frenzy but no matter how much firepower I through into them they won't run so it's either all or nothing!
The greatest form of control which can go on forever until it is exposed is a tyranny you can't see, touch and taste (unlike totalitarian Govts). When you sit in a prison cell but can't see the bars, because people don't rebel against not being free when they think they're are.

Offline MrDWhitey

• Members
« Reply #19 on: March 05, 2009, 04:00:50 PM »
One of my units of 5 is painted undivided, other is painted Khorne (Was testing out the new washes and the foundation paints for the first time, loved the result).

Offline Nicholas Bies

• Members
  • puzzling
« Reply #20 on: March 05, 2009, 04:03:54 PM »
One of my units of 5 is painted undivided, other is painted Khorne (Was testing out the new washes and the foundation paints for the first time, loved the result).

Have you posted them up?

Offline MrDWhitey

• Members
« Reply #21 on: March 05, 2009, 04:08:32 PM »
Nope. Was afraid of being burnt alive and stuff.  :engel:

Offline Folken

• Members
« Reply #22 on: March 05, 2009, 06:59:16 PM »
C'mon we have the steam tank and artillery, you want something that has higher impact then those?

Offline MrDWhitey

• Members
« Reply #23 on: March 05, 2009, 07:03:52 PM »
Yes.

Next question?

:biggriin:

Offline Folken

• Members
« Reply #24 on: March 05, 2009, 07:29:16 PM »
Take Ironguts then.