home

Author Topic: WK's Masters of the Universe - She-Ra added (update 01/08)  (Read 37636 times)

Offline White Knight

• Members
Re: WK's Masters of the Universe (update 31/3)
« Reply #25 on: March 31, 2018, 04:24:24 PM »
Heroic Warriors: Teela!

A strong warrior, unspoken love interest of both He-Man and Prince Adam, adopted daughter of Man-At-Arms and real daughter/hairess of the Sorceress/Goddess, ... Teela has quite the elaborate back story. The model is another great sculpt by Boris Wolszyn for Quest Miniatures and I fear I didn't quite do her justice. While she looks just fine in real life, the pictures tell a different story. Like the others, I followed the Filmation colours for the painting and avoided all metallics. The flagstone was sculpted over a standard plastic lipped base as with the others.

A strong woman holding her own in a men's world...

Not quite what I had in mind when you invited me up here to show me your sword, He-Man...

You will be mine, Teela, and through you, the power of the Sorceress!

Offline White Knight

• Members
Re: WK's Masters of the Universe (update 1/4)
« Reply #26 on: April 01, 2018, 11:48:56 AM »
Heroic Warriors - Man-At-Arms

One of the original iconic characters, Man-At-Arms, real name Duncan, is an inventor, soldier and Teela's foster father, as well as a mentor to Prince Adam . The Sorceress of Castle Grayskull asked Man-At-Arms to adopt Teela because she felt she could not raise her daughter and protect Castle Grayskull at the same time. The figure is another excellent sculpt by Boris Woloszyn for Quest Miniatures. Again, I went for a more bright, Filmation style colour scheme. The base is, as with the others, sculpted directly over the plastic base.

Man-At-Arms, guarding the gates of Castle Grayskull

A different view of the figure, using the new lightbow my wonderful wife bought for me.

The Heroic Warriors... so far...

"Get away from here, you orange fiend!" - "... Seriously, you want to go there, dude?"

Offline Rowsdower

• Members
  • Is there beer on the sun?
    • Jesse Cowled
« Reply #27 on: April 01, 2018, 12:26:56 PM »
Always good to see Duncan :eusa_clap:

Offline Xathrodox86

• Members
  • He Who Fights Monsters
    • https://www.facebook.com/michalgorzanski
« Reply #28 on: April 01, 2018, 01:54:54 PM »
Men-At-Arms was my hero. :blush:
Check out my wargaming blog "It always rains in Nuln". Reviews, rants and a robust dose of wargaming and RPG fun guaranteed. ;)

http://italwaysrainsinnuln.blogspot.com/

"Dude, that's not funny. Xathrodox would never settle for being a middleman."

Gneisenau

Offline Brother Sutek

• Members
« Reply #29 on: April 01, 2018, 03:06:06 PM »
These are amazing! Kind of jealous to be honest. Did they make Triclops and Trap Jaw?
I may disagree with what you say but I respect your right to be punished for it.

"CRRUUDDDAAAAAAACCCCEEEEEEE!!!!!!" <shakes fist at the sky>
-Pirate Robot Ninja of Death

Offline White Knight

• Members
« Reply #30 on: April 01, 2018, 04:32:31 PM »
Those are being sculpted now, along with Merman.

Offline White Knight

• Members
« Reply #31 on: April 01, 2018, 06:26:54 PM »
These are amazing! Kind of jealous to be honest.

No need to be jealous really, you can order them here:
https://www.etsy.com/shop/Qminis

Offline White Knight

• Members
Re: WK's Masters of the Universe (update 2/4)
« Reply #32 on: April 02, 2018, 09:24:18 AM »
Heroic Warriors - The Goddess

The Goddess is an Eternian deity tasked with maintaining the natural order and protecting Castle Grayskull from those would plunder it. Originally, it is she who provides He-Man with the armor and weapons he needs to fight Skeletor; later, she guards the Cavern of Power where Prince Adam and Cringer transform into He-Man and Battle Cat. This character appeared in the first minicomics and went through many changes. First her colouring was changed from the original green to match Teela's colours, then she went from a Goddess to being the Sorceress and was ultimately redesigned to be the Filmation Sorceress we know and love. Her journey didn't end though and a few years ago she got her own figure in the MOTU Classics action figure range and in more recent comic continuity, became Teela's evolved form as the Snake Goddess.

The Goddess, in all her serpentine glory.

The miniature is the old '80s Grenadier Miniatures Teela figure. Designed after the toy and not the Filmation series, she doesn't look much like the Teela we know, but she does look exactly like the original Goddess. Unlike the other figures from the '80s miniatures range, the women were sculpted by a different sculptor and were more tall and slim, making her a perfect fit for more modern miniature scale. I did convert her slightly to add a bit of meat to her thighs and hips. After all, those were a trademark of the MOTU female characters too and this made her fit in better with the Quest Miniatures sculpts. I also gave her slightly longer feet as the original figures came with these small stumps that were hardly there. The base was custom made by cutting a hole in a plastic base to insert the thick metal integral base of the mini and then covered over with putty to add the flagstone texture.

Paintwise, I tried to stay true to the source material but "Filmation her up" slightly. Hence the (non metallic) gold accents, which also appeared in some later incarnations. the vertical black lines under her eyes were also part of some later source material and I thought it would be interesting to incorporate those.

The original minicomic scene where she gives the savage He-Man his first weapons

Gosh, Goddess, thanks you so much for these, the girls will love them!

You and I, Teela, we are one of a kind.

Your power will be mine!

While she looks taller in some pictures, she is the same size, it's just that she's the only figure who's standing up straight.

A different look, using the new lightbox

That's the last of the additions to the Heroic Warriors for now, as some more baddies are long overdue to balance out the sides.

Offline White Knight

• Members
Re: WK's Masters of the Universe (update 3/4)
« Reply #33 on: April 03, 2018, 08:16:14 AM »
The Snake Men - Remcor, Snake Man Footsoldier

The next one is a bit of a departure from MOTU canon, as it's a generic Snake Man footsoldier that didn't appear in any of the media (though there have been generic Snake Men warriors in the later continuity), but being a mere footsoldier, he might have been there. The base model is a rather heavily converted Otherworld Miniatures lizardman, sculpted by the talented Paul Muller. The Otherworld lizardmen are very suitable as generic baddies for MOTU as is, but I wanted to go the extra mile to bring them more into the world. The head was flattened, cheeks were widened and a forked tong was added, while he was also dressed up to have the fur panties and belt, as well as shin and wrist guards. Base custom sculpted as usual.

A generic Snake Man footsoldier

His colour scheme and name were borrowed from a knock-off figure from the '80s. Back during the original MOTU craze, several companies started making cheapish action figures in the same style and one of these brands was Remco, which, among other things, made this purple Snakeman. I slightly changed parts in my conversion to bring it closer to how he could have looked in Filmation style. I painted the flagstones on his base in a different colour, as I want each faction to have it's own colour code.

A better view using the lightbox

The Remco snakeman in his glorious beauty.

He-Man facing off against a Snake Man in front of Snake Mountain

https://motu-wargames.blogspot.be/2018/04/the-snake-men-remcor-snake-man.html

Offline Rowsdower

• Members
    • Jesse Cowled
« Reply #34 on: April 03, 2018, 02:53:35 PM »
The 80's featured a lot of snake themed villains when you think about it

Offline Zak

• Members
  • Mad Viking
    • Mad Viking
« Reply #35 on: April 03, 2018, 05:29:43 PM »
Whoa very cool! you think She would have also gave He-man pants? but that's just me lol
Yes I'm dyslexic so what

Offline White Knight

• Members
« Reply #36 on: April 03, 2018, 05:46:36 PM »
I'm sorry to disappoint, but in the original story, pants were pretty much the only thing he had from the start.  :unsure:

Offline Rowsdower

• Members
    • Jesse Cowled
« Reply #37 on: April 04, 2018, 03:30:00 AM »
When I worked at TRU in 2003, I remember unpacking a He-man figure that had green pants :smile2:

Offline White Knight

• Members
« Reply #38 on: April 04, 2018, 05:34:01 PM »
You should have kept it. If it was a factory mistake, people would pay good money for it. :unsure:

Offline Rowsdower

• Members
    • Jesse Cowled
« Reply #39 on: April 05, 2018, 03:59:38 AM »
You should have kept it. If it was a factory mistake, people would pay good money for it. :unsure:
It was 'Shield strike' He man. Not only did he wear pants and armour but he also came with an accessory that looked like the Glaive from KRULL
It only took me 45 minutes of searching MOTU wiki sites to find him.

Offline White Knight

• Members
« Reply #40 on: April 05, 2018, 07:42:29 AM »
Ah I see. I'm not so up to date on the later variants. For me there was only one He-Man that counted back in the day.

Offline White Knight

• Members
Re: WK's Masters of the Universe (update 1/5)
« Reply #41 on: May 01, 2018, 10:34:54 AM »
I painted a whole other figure and still my total figure count didn't go up.  lol  Not being happy with my first paintjob of Teela, especially the face, I started a second version from scratch to replace her. The new one is still not quite where I would like her to be, the camera shows up some flaws I didn't notice on the model, but at least the face looks a lot more like the character from the cartoon and she looks fine at actual scale. Notable changes from my previous version is paler skin, a darker, more reddish shade for the hair, fine black lines around the eyes and a dark red lipstick.

Teela - Redux

A strong woman holding her own in a men's world...

A strong warrior, unspoken love interest of both He-Man and Prince Adam, adopted daughter of Man-At-Arms and real daughter/hairess of the Sorceress/Goddess, ... Teela has quite the elaborate back story. The model is another great sculpt by Boris Woloszyn for Quest Miniatures. Like the others, and my previous version of this character, I followed the Filmation colours for the painting and avoided all metallics. The flagstone was sculpted over a standard plastic lipped base as with the others.

Lightbox pictures, so there are no distractions in the background

Say, Teela, there's something different about you today. I don't know what it is, but I like it!

Just because I'm prettier now doesn't mean I can't do my share of fighting the baddies!

Finally, a comparison side by side of the first version and the new one. I think the new one is more recognisable as the Teela from the Filmation cartoon:

Offline Artobans Ghost

• Bar Brawlers
  • Members
« Reply #42 on: May 01, 2018, 10:42:36 AM »
Really nice!👆
The flesh tone difference is outstanding.
Mathi Alfblut Feb 4,2017 Simple, You gut the bastard with your sword, the viking way.
Questions?

GP Jan 4, 2020
Yes, even W:AoS.

Offline Zak

• Members
  • Mad Viking
    • Mad Viking
« Reply #43 on: May 01, 2018, 04:33:43 PM »
nice...he did anyone else have a secret crush on Telia ??? hahahaa
Yes I'm dyslexic so what

Offline White Knight

• Members
« Reply #44 on: May 02, 2018, 11:00:59 AM »

No, it was just you.  :icon_twisted:

Offline White Knight

• Members
« Reply #45 on: May 02, 2018, 11:01:46 AM »
Really nice!👆
The flesh tone difference is outstanding.

Now I think of them as the version with make-up and the version you wake up to in the morning.  ::heretic::

Offline Rowsdower

• Members
    • Jesse Cowled
« Reply #46 on: May 02, 2018, 12:36:33 PM »
Funny how although unlike certain other toy franchises, MOTU was only around for a few years and has had only a few, short reboots yet so many people still adore it. It must have really struck a chord with some

Offline Zak

• Members
  • Mad Viking
    • Mad Viking
« Reply #47 on: May 02, 2018, 08:25:30 PM »

No, it was just you.  :icon_twisted:

SUUURE  :-P
Yes I'm dyslexic so what

Offline Xathrodox86

• Members
  • He Who Fights Monsters
    • https://www.facebook.com/michalgorzanski
« Reply #48 on: May 04, 2018, 12:27:13 PM »
The 80's featured a lot of snake themed villains when you think about it

Seemed to be a leading trend during that period. :-P
Check out my wargaming blog "It always rains in Nuln". Reviews, rants and a robust dose of wargaming and RPG fun guaranteed. ;)

http://italwaysrainsinnuln.blogspot.com/

"Dude, that's not funny. Xathrodox would never settle for being a middleman."

Gneisenau

Offline White Knight

• Members
Re: WK's Masters of the Universe (update 5/5)
« Reply #49 on: May 05, 2018, 06:20:05 PM »
Having painted a second, improved version of Teela, the earlier version became obsolete. I could of strip her, but most of the paintjob was perfectly serviceable and since I learned about there being a Snakemen version of Teela in the MOTU 200x continuity, I wanted to do a Snake Teela as she could have appeared if done in Filmation style. So I went about repainting her skin in a green tone, and her eyes yellow. That the earlier, flawed skintone had left some rough patches here and there didn't really matter, as it all worked with the Snakemen theme. I painted her sword green, after the 200X Snake Teela toy figure accessory, though I left the shield as it was. Her base was repainted in my Snakemen base colours. A relatively quick job that meant I could keep using the figure without having to repaint a complete figure. Result!

She-Hul... I mean, Snake Teela!

... in all her green glory

The concept is inspired by the MOTU 200x episode "Second Skin", where King Hiss used an artifact that could turn regular people into Snakemen. In the story, Man-At-Arms, Mekanek and Teela were temporarily turned into Snakemen and battled He-Man. They were returned back to their human selves after He-Man destroyed the Serpents Ring and the Ophidian Spire. There was a toy version made of Snake Teela after the cartoon that looked like this:

The 200x Teela design isn't quite the same as the Filmation Teela we know and love, so I tried to reimagine what Snake Teela would have looked like in a Filmation episode. With their love for reusing recoloured footage, just like the toys loved to reuse recoloured characters, a simple green repaint seemed a likely interpretation.

I will stop your evil, Remcor, I....... will....... join you!

You have to fight it, Teela! - I can't... and I don't want to!

Teela vs Snake Teela