home

Author Topic: WK's Masters of the Universe - She-Ra added (update 01/08)  (Read 37622 times)

Offline Shadespyre

• Members
Re: WK's Masters of the Universe (update 5/5)
« Reply #50 on: May 06, 2018, 11:41:42 AM »
Love this project, and the geeky knowledge that comes with it!  :eusa_clap:

Offline White Knight

• Members
Re: WK's Masters of the Universe (update 6/5)
« Reply #51 on: May 06, 2018, 07:57:57 PM »
It's becoming obvious that I'm really not very good at doing female faces. She doesn't look too bad in the flesh and the bad pictures aren't helping, but I botched the eyes several times which ended up messing up the face a bit. But at least now I've painted at least1 of each unique sculpt in the Quest Miniatures first wave of MOTU figures.

Evil-Lyn is the only female member of the Evil Warriors, at least in Filmation continuity, and she is an evil witch who aids Skeletor as his second-in-command with her powers of darkness. She is vastly more intelligent than Skeletor's other minions, and while she admits that she is not as powerful as Skeletor, she readily confesses that she hopes to seize her master's powers and lord it over Eternia herself one day. Her background has changed a bit depending which continuity you look at. In recent years she has been both said to have been Prince Keldor's lover, before he took the grievous wounds that made him turn to the dark magic that made him into the Skeletor he is today. Other stories claim she was a crew member of the same Earth spaceship that brought Queen Marlena to Eternia.

The figure is another Boris Woloszyn sculpt from Quest Miniatures and the last unique sculpt of the first wave. The pictures don't show her off to her best, but that doesn't detract from the fact that I somewhat botched the face on this one (redoing the eyes several times will do that). Otherwise, she is straight up with no conversions other than the homesculpted base.

An Evil Witch and her wand...

With Teela:

Though we come from the same mould, we are nothing alike!

The full complement of painted Heroic and Evil Warriors so far.

The Evil Warriors: Beastman, Skeletor, Evil-Lyn

The Heroic Warriors: Man-At-Arms, He-Man, The Goddess, Teela

And a bonus picture of the completed first wave of Quest Miniatures MOTU miniatures:

Quest Miniatures Wave 1

Offline Warlord

• Global Moderator
  • Members
  • Sydney, Australia
« Reply #52 on: May 06, 2018, 09:22:29 PM »
Awesome. :happy:
Quote from: Gneisenau
I hate people who don't paint their armies, hate them with all my guts. Beats me how they value other things over painting, like eating or brushing teeth.

Offline Rowsdower

• Members
  • Is there beer on the sun?
    • Jesse Cowled
« Reply #53 on: May 08, 2018, 04:52:17 AM »
I remember when I had finished school, I went to a charity shop in the afternoon on graduation day and someone had left an old, dinged up Evil-lyn on the counter. The octogenarian at the counter looked at me as I picked it up and said "Ooh, looks like you found a sexy lady'

Offline Novogord

• Mr Goblin
  • Members
  • Wie wind zaait, zal storm oogsten
    • http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100001398349166
« Reply #54 on: May 08, 2018, 05:44:16 AM »
So old school :-)
Only the dead have seen the end of the war

Being an intellectual creates a lot of questions and no answers.

Offline White Knight

• Members
« Reply #55 on: May 08, 2018, 08:38:46 AM »
I remember when I had finished school, I went to a charity shop in the afternoon on graduation day and someone had left an old, dinged up Evil-lyn on the counter. The octogenarian at the counter looked at me as I picked it up and said "Ooh, looks like you found a sexy lady'

That sounds both hilarious and creepy at the same time!

Offline Xathrodox86

• Members
  • He Who Fights Monsters
    • https://www.facebook.com/michalgorzanski
« Reply #56 on: May 08, 2018, 01:18:41 PM »

Have you claimed your prize?
Check out my wargaming blog "It always rains in Nuln". Reviews, rants and a robust dose of wargaming and RPG fun guaranteed. ;)

http://italwaysrainsinnuln.blogspot.com/

"Dude, that's not funny. Xathrodox would never settle for being a middleman."

Gneisenau

Offline Rowsdower

• Members
    • Jesse Cowled
« Reply #57 on: May 09, 2018, 04:56:10 AM »
^
As I recall she was $2.00 but I didn't have any change or folding money on me at the time. So I had to leave her behind. I also remember finding some old G.I.JOE's at a different charity shop a few years later. I instantly bought those. One of them was 'ninja' Scarlet and the shop assistant made a similar comment.
When I got home that day, I displayed them all and through the night I heard a crash. Ninja Scarlet had broken and fallen to the floor. Her hip had become very loose and had chosen to separate from the rest of her body . Her 'kicking' leg though was still standing to the display stand.

Offline White Knight

• Members
Re: WK's Masters of the Universe (update 11/5)
« Reply #58 on: May 11, 2018, 09:45:29 AM »
Now for an all new faction, the first of the Anti-Eternians!

Hailing from the Antiverse, a mirror dimension in which good and evil have traded places, Anti-He-Man is the most ruthless tyrant that Anti-Eternia has ever known, and the arch-nemesis for the heroic Prince Keldor. The character was originally exclusive to a German audiobook story, though a popular character among collectors for custom action figures, given that he's a straight repaint. Eventually, his story came full circle when an official MOTU Classics figure was released by Mattel a few years ago, cementing his position in MOTU canon.

When Skeletor utilized the Elixir of Schneidor to open doorways into other dimensions, he inadvertently created a pathway to the Antiverse, allowing Anti-He-Man to cross over into Eternia. His evil powers unstoppable, He-Man and Skeletor had to unite to fight him. Since such an uneasy alliance can only end in betrayal, Skeletor sent both He-Men to the Antiverse. The story didn't end there of course and He-Man helped Prince Keldor overthrow Anti-He-Man in Castle Hellskull. He-Man was finally returned home by Gwildor and Zodak using the Cosmic Key.

Filmation fans should check out this gorgeous fanmade tribute by Grimbot that looks just like the real thing: https://vimeo.com/104823202

The model is of course the standard He-Man sculpt by Boris Woloszyn for Quest Miniatures, converted to remove the empty sword scabbard and with a custom base. The black skin didn't turn out the way I wanted, but it looks fine in person, so I'll leave it. I looked at a lot of images of Anti-He-Man art and customs for the best colour combination and pretty much ended up with the one from the fanmade video, which is appropriate since I'm trying to stick to a Filmation theme with these figures. Some versions online only use black and red, but I feel the grey bracers add a much needed flash of contrasting colour to keep the figure interesting. Unlike the video version, I did keep the glowing red eyes seen on most incarnations. Some people paint the sword black, which, while cool, can't beat the awesome vintage toy feel of a bright red version of the powersword.

Anti-Eternia He-Man in all his glory.

Duel of the He-Man:

Offline White Knight

• Members
Re: WK's Masters of the Universe (update 12/5)
« Reply #59 on: May 12, 2018, 03:20:37 PM »
Anti-Eternians - Anti-Man-At-Arms
Another character from the German audio plays, Anti-Man-At-Arms is, as you will have guessed, the evil mirror identity of Man-At-Arms from the Anti-Eternia universe. Like Anti-He-Man, the main colours are black, red and grey. This one has no official figure, so there is some artistic freedom to represent him.

The figure is of course another copy of the Quest Miniatures Man-At-Arms figure, with custom base.

Eternians fighting their Anti-Eternian counterparts:

A side by side of good and evil Man-At-Arms (Men-At-Arms?):

The Anti-Eternians so far:

Offline Rowsdower

• Members
    • Jesse Cowled
« Reply #60 on: May 13, 2018, 12:19:38 PM »
Now I want to start collecting those just so I can make 'Wonder bread' He-man

Offline White Knight

• Members
« Reply #61 on: May 17, 2018, 02:13:39 PM »
I want to make one too, but which version would you go for? Savage version with axe and sword or scifi version with black Zodak armour and gun?

Offline Rowsdower

• Members
    • Jesse Cowled
« Reply #62 on: May 18, 2018, 04:04:57 AM »
^White knight
Why not one of each. Collect them all [just like the back of the boxes used to say]

Offline White Knight

• Members
« Reply #63 on: May 18, 2018, 11:17:17 AM »
That's what I'll do, was just wondering which one you had in mind.

Offline Rowsdower

• Members
    • Jesse Cowled
« Reply #64 on: May 20, 2018, 01:21:16 AM »
@Whiteknight
You should go for whatever one it is you have an attachment to. I'm planning on getting one of these He-man's [or should that be 'He-men'] so I can paint it to look like the old 'Thunder punch' version that I had, decades ago.

Offline White Knight

• Members
« Reply #65 on: May 20, 2018, 08:50:38 PM »
I'll probably wait until Q-minis do a Zodak figure to convert the Wundarr version with the black armour.

Offline Xathrodox86

• Members
  • He Who Fights Monsters
« Reply #66 on: May 25, 2018, 12:58:07 PM »
For some reason the dark versions of Eternia's heroes remind me of the Two Thrones game from the Prince of Persia series. Good stuff. :happy:
Check out my wargaming blog "It always rains in Nuln". Reviews, rants and a robust dose of wargaming and RPG fun guaranteed. ;)

Gneisenau

Offline Brother Sutek

• Members
« Reply #67 on: May 27, 2018, 10:49:16 AM »
Loving the updates.
I may disagree with what you say but I respect your right to be punished for it.

"CRRUUDDDAAAAAAACCCCEEEEEEE!!!!!!" <shakes fist at the sky>
-Pirate Robot Ninja of Death

Offline White Knight

• Members
« Reply #68 on: May 29, 2018, 11:18:18 AM »
Thanks, I have loads more planned, but need to find some time to paint/convert.

Offline White Knight

• Members
Re: WK's Masters of the Universe (update 17/6)
« Reply #69 on: June 17, 2018, 03:12:39 PM »
To complete (for now) the round of Anti-Eternian counterparts, Anti-Eternia Teela is as cruel as she is beautiful, in a cold, dark way. This one was a bit of a rush job and it doesn't take well to pictures as the black paint and highlights are slightly glossy. Having no clear example of what she should look like, I sort of made it up going by what I figured would look good. I also decided to change the bases on my Anti-Eternians (though you don't see it very well in the pictures) by adding red in the recesses between the tiles, which gives an impression of heat and fits well with the Anti-Eternian theme. This one was painted as part of He-Month 2 (over on the Cheaphammer blog) and will likely be my only entry this month.

The deadly Anti-Teela

The complete set of Anti-Eternians (so far), with touched up bases:

My three versions of Teela so far: Anti-Teela, Teela and Snake Teela.

Offline Xathrodox86

• Members
  • He Who Fights Monsters
Re: WK's Masters of the Universe (update 17/6)
« Reply #70 on: June 20, 2018, 08:04:55 AM »
Side by side they look even better! :blush:

Gneisenau

Offline White Knight

• Members
Re: WK's Masters of the Universe (update 07/07)
« Reply #71 on: July 07, 2018, 06:07:37 PM »
Heroic Warriors: Battlecat

Battlecat is one of the top tier characters that should be present in any MOTU collection. A huge armoured tiger, with a humanlike intelligence that can be ridden in battle by He-Man is no foe to trifle with. Like He-Man's alter ego Prince Adam, Battlecat is the empowered version of the Prince's tiger, Cringer. Once He-Man calls upon the power of Castle Grayskull, the cowardly Cringer is transformed into the fearless Battlecat.

This model is the 1980s Grenadier Miniatures sculpt and it holds up surprisingly well for it's age. There are a few minor rough spots, but those are more due to the casting techniques of the day than any flaws of the sculpt itself. The size is also spot on, and makes for a really imposing model. The base is a Fenris Games resin base, to which I've added the usual flagtile texture. These are the only bases I've found that are big enough to accommodate this mighty beast.

Supposedly at 25mm scale, the old Grenadier model is just about the right size for the newer 30mm sculpts:

He-Man and Battlecat

Easy now, big cat, we're not looking for any trouble.

Offline White Knight

• Members
Re: WK's Masters of the Universe (update 08/07)
« Reply #72 on: July 08, 2018, 10:10:22 AM »
Managed to squeeze in another quick one, thanks to a helpful limited palette.  :)

Evil Horde - Slime Pit He-Man

Slime Pit He-Man (sometimes also referred to as Slime Monster He-Man) featured in one of the mini-comics that came with the toys. Hordak managed to trap He-Man in the slime pit, and had a toxic green slime poured over him that turned him into a mindless killing machine. Hordak then proceeded to send He-Man after Skeletor to eliminate his erstwhile apprentice. The mind controlled He-Man almost succeeded in this task, but with the telepathic help of the Sorceress, He-Man was able to shake off the effects of the slime right before delivering the killing blow.

The model is a converted Quest Miniatures He-Man, with the weapons removed and some slime sculpted over in places to suggest a thicker coat of it clinging to his body. The flagstone base was painted with a reddish tone this time, as that is the colour I reserved for the Evil Horde faction, and it adds some colour other than green to the figure.

Slime Pit He-Man about to crush Skeletor once and for all...

A page from the mini-comic featuring the event:

Offline Rowsdower

• Members
    • Jesse Cowled
Re: WK's Masters of the Universe (update 08/07)
« Reply #73 on: July 08, 2018, 11:12:11 AM »
Great job

Offline White Knight

• Members
Re: WK's Masters of the Universe (update 09/07)
« Reply #74 on: July 09, 2018, 06:55:03 PM »
Heroic Warriors - Gender-swapped He-Man

To the best of my knowledge, there has never been a gender-swapped He-Man in any of the MOTU canon. Still, there is no reason it could not have happened (temporarily) through the use of an ancient artefact or a magical spell. I'm sure there could have been an interesting moral in that story somewhere. So to make up my own fluff: while fighting over a mysterious artefact, Skeletor and He-Man inadvertently unleashed it's energies with unexpected results. Temporarily finding himself in female form, He-Man's ability to lead the good fight was in no way diminished.

She has the Power!

The model is Hasslefree Miniatures' Delphine, with some conversions. I added fur to her panties and boots and swapped the original sword for a spare powersword from a previous conversion, for a closer match to the male He-Man figure.

Male and female He-Man side by side:

They have the Power...?

A different take on the origin story perhaps, where Evil-Lyn enacts a spell of her own to turn He-Man into someone more... well... her own size:

* Sniff * * Sniff * - Yes, Battlecat, it's still me!

I'll be honest, He-Man, I'm not sure how I feel about this. On the one hand I still find you attractive, but on the other hand, your breasts are bigger than mine...