home

Author Topic: My Ostland army  (Read 42312 times)

Offline Durloth

• Members
Re: My Ostland army
« Reply #100 on: February 11, 2014, 09:31:52 AM »
Santa low level metal wizard.

Offline Durloth

• Members
« Reply #101 on: February 16, 2014, 05:50:54 PM »
High level metal wizard:

Tried to make him pretty flamboyant (and a bit manic), with cream robes (signifying gold) and cold white cloak (signifying silver), but I'm not too leased with how he turned out.

I'm now taking pictures with my phone. It actually handles low light conditions better than my proper camera, but details get a bit washed out and I can't make the colors really natural.

Offline Playonwords

• Members
« Reply #102 on: February 16, 2014, 11:15:35 PM »
Has lots of good elements to it: the gold on the staff seems quite nicely blended, and the gem at the top is outstanding. But theres a couple of critiques i had:

1. Why is the shading for the white cloak different between the inner and outer garment. On one hand the inner garment is built up from darkish brown to whitish cream (which i like), but then the outer garment is built up from grey to whitish cream. The two separate colours seem a bit odd to me.

2. The metal face should draw the eye in more with its extra detail. I would highlight it a bit with a gold/silver mix, then pure silver. The red areas could be highlighted slightly more too. Perhaps the flesh on the hands too. Maybe im just an over-highlighting junkie with painting :-D

3. Could you maybe add some detail to the flat white areas on the cloak? I know youre capable of it after seeing your other posts.

Good luck!

Offline Durloth

• Members
« Reply #103 on: February 18, 2014, 12:07:21 PM »
You are quite right on all counts. This batch of characters was pretty uninspired. Should have saved them untill a time where I really wanted to paint them, but they were the only minis I had brought with me when I moved.

The cream/grey white was supposed to symbolize gold and silver, but while I think the idea was sound the execution failed miserably. The wizards look pretty half-assed, but at least they aren't quite as bad in RL, as my phonecam make them seem.

Death mage:

Lovely understated mini (as long as one doesn't paint all the skulls on his skirt).

Engineer Marco Colombo:

Not best pleased with this one either, but at least I've got a couple more of him to paint, shoul inspiration strike me.

Took a couple of close ups of the wagons and stuff before base coating:

With alternative lector:
« Last Edit: February 18, 2014, 12:12:33 PM by Durloth »

Offline Your Mother

• Members
« Reply #104 on: February 18, 2014, 12:42:37 PM »
Excellent work, looking forward to seeing it painted.  Who is the maker of the sallet heads on your spearmen?
I like cheese.            My Army Blog: http://www.warhammer-empire.com/theforum/index.php?topic=21327.0

Offline Durloth

• Members
« Reply #105 on: February 18, 2014, 04:26:44 PM »
Thanks! They are made by Mirliton. They need a bit of filling and the necks are a bit uneven, but all in all highly recommended. They were quick to ship all my orders and the price is hard to beat.

Offline Warhammer-Weib

• Members
« Reply #106 on: February 18, 2014, 09:02:11 PM »

If I were an Empire player, I'd choose Ostland as province for my army - and your blog is very inspiring! Nice paint job on Marco Colombo.  :::cheers:::

Who's the manufacturer of the death mage?

Offline Durloth

• Members
« Reply #107 on: February 19, 2014, 06:50:23 AM »
 :::cheers:::

While they are supposed to fall a bit short of the most cosmopolitan and intelligent peoples of the Empire, Ostlanders are by far the coolest:)

The Death Mage is from the Undead range for Mordheim.

Offline Irishzero

• Members
« Reply #108 on: February 20, 2014, 07:05:46 AM »
Looking good as always bud!!
Question where do you find all of those nice bullshields? :eusa_wall:. My ostlanders wants them to!

Offline Durloth

• Members
« Reply #109 on: February 20, 2014, 08:35:23 AM »
Thanks mate!

The shields were custom made by Hayter Minifigures: www.facebook.com/HayterMinifigures

Currently painting the horses for the wagons. I don't really know why, but I have this strange aversion to painting horses. Bah!

Offline naturalselect

• Members
« Reply #110 on: February 20, 2014, 06:05:10 PM »
ur work is srsly inspiring

Offline Irishzero

• Members
« Reply #111 on: February 21, 2014, 08:31:36 AM »
Thanks mate!

The shields were custom made by Hayter Minifigures: www.facebook.com/HayterMinifigures

Currently painting the horses for the wagons. I don't really know why, but I have this strange aversion to painting horses. Bah!

Oh thank you I´m definitely gonna check that out! You are really one of the main source of inspiration for my own Ostland army. Btw was just thinking about your nationality bud?

Offline Durloth

• Members
« Reply #112 on: February 22, 2014, 06:27:27 PM »
 :blush: You guys...

Jag är norsk.

Offline Durloth

• Members
Re: My Ostland army (Horses all dressed up, with nowhere to go)
« Reply #113 on: March 02, 2014, 09:36:29 AM »
Finished the horses for the Luminark. Quite pleased with these, if I may say so myself.
Pictures again taken with my phone, but should at least give you a general idea of how they are looking...

Offline Irishzero

• Members
« Reply #114 on: March 02, 2014, 09:50:25 AM »
Looking good as always bud, cant wait to se it all painted up (or actually I can because that will probably make me want to buy one my self, and I still have other things to paint :eusa_wall:)

Offline Durloth

• Members
« Reply #115 on: March 02, 2014, 10:01:37 AM »
I know the feeling. I was actually planning to add some knights and halberds to the army, when a blog here inspired me to get started on the wagons instead.

Offline Krudenwald

• Members
  • "Even Unto Death"
« Reply #116 on: March 03, 2014, 06:40:54 AM »
I love those horses!

Also, I know that you say you aren't as pleased with him, but I feel the old Marco Columbo model looks great (and particularly in Ostland colors)!
No, I'm sending it to people I reckon I can trust. Or, at least, people I think I can murder should it become neccesary.

Offline Durloth

• Members
« Reply #117 on: April 15, 2014, 11:57:14 AM »
Hi guys and gals! I've spent some time off painting and forums, but now I'm back!

Long story short:

I thought Vallejo Chipping Medium seemed like a brilliant way to improve the worn look on my minis and bought a bottle some months back. The way the medium works is that if layered between two colors, it lets you chip away at the upper color, to reveal the bottom one. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9CNhG4H38gI

I probably applied too thick a layer and ended up with minis whose paint would dissolve from the water in the paints with every layer. After giving the  horses for my Hurricanum about twenty layers of black paint (and still not getting good coverage, I had to take a couple of weeks off painting in pure frustration (after spending about a week layering, my wife asked me why I hadn't just washed the medium off the models. Facepalm!).

Anyway. To get going again, I took a couple of days off from work (got to love those flexible work hours!) and here are the results. Still WiP mind you, but the first wagon is coming along nicely:

Offline DariusZero

• Members
  • I'm a non native speaker from Mars and I bite.
« Reply #118 on: April 15, 2014, 12:02:15 PM »
This looks like it's gonna be a masterpiece, I especially like the lenses on the telescopes, done right by the book and with great result. :eusa_clap:
One of the big wigs... once told them "If a household doesn't have an income of $70,000, we don't consider them a GW target customer."
MyEmpireBlog: http://warhammer-empire.com/theforum/index.php?topic=33477.0

Offline Never_Again

• Members
« Reply #119 on: April 15, 2014, 01:10:30 PM »
Very Nice model So far! Is the war wagon black or a very dark collar?

Offline Irishzero

• Members
« Reply #120 on: April 15, 2014, 01:48:29 PM »
An inspiration as always bud! :::cheers:::

Offline Naitsabes

• Members
  • Never slid
« Reply #121 on: April 15, 2014, 06:31:53 PM »
the wagon looks great in black, very menacing. looks like you've now figured out how the paint chipping works. with the way you've set up the telescopes, what's the plan here? no contraption on top? no laser or swirling planets or giant griffon statue? so understated :-P
The Empire Road to Volganof Last update 18Mar2023 - Pistoliers & Baggage train)

Offline Durloth

• Members
« Reply #122 on: April 25, 2014, 01:30:45 PM »
Thanks guys! Sorry for the late reply. I spent Easter on a trip to a festival with a couple of old pals and I'm still recouperating. Besides, work is just c-razy these days and the late sun set here in the northern spring time, means that my kid goes to sleep like two hours later than usual, so there is not much time or energy for playing around on the interwebz.

@Darius: "Done by the book" is the perfect phrasing, as just googles "painting lenses" and followed the steps in the first decent looking tutorial :icon_redface:

@Never_Again: Dramatic sounding nick! The wagon is black with grey highlights. I tried keeping the highlights subtle, to keep the model from looking all grey. Working a lot woth old wooden objects, I've tried to capture how the paint would wear off in the places that would see the most wear, but it is pretty hard to do right.

@Irish:  :::cheers::: Your army is just getting better and better BTW. Wish I could keep up your tempo!

@ Naitsabes: It is the Scandinavian minimalism, you know. Ikea-wagon :icon_smile: My thoughts are that without a caracter on them, these wagons won't be centerpoints in my army and I don't want them taking too much attention. I do plan to put the crew on top. One studying the movement of celestial bodies through the telescopes and the other taking notes and trying to devine meaning from the observed phenomenon.

If I ever make a version of the wagon with an actual high level wizard onboard, I'll probably make it more flamboyant.

I tried to start painting the crew, while watching a couple of episodes of ...something... but awoke one and a half hour later, still holding the undercoated miniature in my hand :icon_rolleyes: 

Offline Irishzero

• Members
« Reply #123 on: April 25, 2014, 03:54:17 PM »
Hehe your army isn't bad either to say the least! You are one of my main inspirations so if you like my army thats just a boost :icon_smile: What a ostland army I would have if I had yours as well, so feel free to send it:::cheers:::