home

Author Topic: A Review of Quest For Ghal Maraz ...  (Read 5289 times)

Offline knightofthelance

• Members
Re: A Review of Quest For Ghal Maraz ...
« Reply #25 on: August 22, 2015, 01:42:42 AM »
Agreed. With both of you, and way to many people forgot they could make house rules in WFB. AoS doesn't need them as badly and also seems to have reminded people that it's possible. But that flexibility in army selection mostly helps people who like the warhammer background already, and if they've made the switch to AoS based on their warhammer armies then if they buy this book or not is irrelevant in the larger picture for both them and GW.

My only point is that one of the problems WFB ran into was high costs making it harder to attract new players. High cost books designed to give the game a setting- which is needed to help sell the game to new players seems to run into the same problem again.

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
  • Happy Spring! : )
« Reply #26 on: August 22, 2015, 01:48:06 AM »
I'm not sure completely what to make of the whole cost issue surrounding the books.  I'm some what familiar with how much it takes to print a book like they are producing, and it can be quite costly, especially if they are making a "limited" run on it.  So strangely I can understand such things can cost big bucks, yet at the same time, it is tough to buy something at that price point for some folks, and for others it does nothing to further entice them into the game.
"Not all who wander are lost ... " Tolkien

"... my old suggestion is forget it, take two aspirins and go paint" steveb

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

"Until death it is all life." Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra

Offline knightofthelance

• Members
« Reply #27 on: August 22, 2015, 02:26:24 AM »
This is true. But similar to the issue with the 8th ed. Army books. They are very nice books, but pricey enough that it stopped people from buying as many as they did in the past.

It might very well be a reasonable price for what it is, it appears to have a lot of artwork. It's just probably more than what's needed. A more basic book with the story and only some of the art for a lower price would likely help attract more to the setting. The basic books are now the quality and price range that the limited edition books once had.

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #28 on: August 22, 2015, 10:36:38 AM »
I've seen reference here to a "non-limited" version of the book going for $74, but when on the GW site, I just keep seeing the "limited" one at $150, and I'm wondering what is going on.

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

Offline Fidelis von Sigmaringen

• Members
  • Attorney-at-RAW
« Reply #29 on: August 22, 2015, 11:57:00 AM »
Obviously, purchases are limited to the more expensive version. That is why it is the limited version.
It is not enough to have no ideas of your own; you must also be incapable of expressing them.
Sex, lies and manuscripts: The History of the Empire as Depicted in the Art of the Time (10/07/16)

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #30 on: August 22, 2015, 04:56:50 PM »
 :icon_lol:  Obviously.  I'm just being a dense dude writing without thinking first.  :icon_mrgreen:

Then I got to thinking ... lol ... well of course their selling the bigger, glitzier, version first.  Duh, that's kind of a no brainer, see how many of those will sell, and then sell the lesser version.  Not sure I really approve of that, because it's the kind of thing that gives them a less than stellar reputation, but it is what it is.  Sell one for $150 sell another for $75 or whatever.  In a way, it kind of feels discrimanatory, because what is someone going to get for $75 compared to $150, which means is the $75 even worth it.  And then somebody might not think twice the next time a "limited" edition comes out to pick that up for the $150.  But not me :icon_wink: :icon_lol: