home

Author Topic: WK's Masters of the Universe - She-Ra added (update 01/08)  (Read 37212 times)

Offline White Knight

• Members
Re: WK's Masters of the Universe - Anti-Eternia Sorceress (update 31/05)
« Reply #125 on: May 31, 2019, 06:33:25 PM »
I didn't expect to have another update so soon, but this one practically painted herself (I was just going to do the skin today).

Anti-Eternians - Anti-Sorceress

The Sorceress is a force to reckon with and since there is a Castle Hellskull on Anti-Eternia, there has to be an Anti-Sorceress to guard it as well. Her fiery red eyes and black skin give her an unwordly type of beauty, while her red garb evokes hints of a hellish world indeed.

Anti-Eternia Sorceress spreading her wings

The model is another Quest Miniatures figure sculpted by Boris Woloszyn and in an unusual turn of events, I painted her as the Anti-Eternia Sorceress before I tackle the regular one (because, seriously, who wouldn't put off painting white?). The colour scheme is made up, starting from the Anti-Eternia palette. As the regular sorceress has orange wings and a white bodice, the needed contrast dictated the Anti-Eternia version should have a red bodice and grey wings (or black wings, but that would make her too monotone, you need three colours to have nice contrast). The rest followed from there. The base is my usual sculpted on flagstone, with red painted in the grooves between tiles to simulate the hellscape that is Anti-Eternia.

Oo-Larr (minicomic He-Man from a few generations before Adam) dukes it out with Anti-He-Man while their respecitve guides and mentors look on.

The Anti-Eternians, so far (not including the Man-At-Arms in Windraider).

Offline White Knight

• Members
Re: WK's Masters of the Universe - Shadow Beasts (update 1/06)
« Reply #126 on: June 01, 2019, 04:50:55 PM »
Evil Warriors - Shadow Beasts

Shadow Beasts are great ape-like beasts who live in tribes throughout the dark hemisphere. They are named thus because they can only come out in the absence of light. Like most beasts, they are vulnerable to Beastman's powers and can be controlled by him to join the fight on Skeletor's side.

Shadow Beasts, the yeti's of Eternia
 I went with the Filmation cartoon colour scheme on this. Other media have shown them in darker, more apelike colours, but I like how the purple shade emphasises the alien, retro pulp quality they have. I originally was going to do their bases in a neutral colour, as they can also be used independently, but ultimately settled for the Evil Warriors scheme, as that will be their main purpose.

Beastman takes controle of the Shadow Beasts

Teela getting surrounded by the Shadow Beasts

The Evil Warriors so far (not including my alternate Skeletor)

Offline White Knight

• Members
Re: WK's Masters of the Universe - Anti-Eternia Goddess (update 2/06)
« Reply #127 on: June 02, 2019, 01:40:08 PM »
Thanks, I'm quite enjoying these. Here is the last one for a while, until I find another window to get some painting done.

Anti-Eternians - Anti-Goddess
If Anti-Eternia is the opposite of regular Eternia, then it stands to reason that its Goddess has also been tainted by the same evil. Being more brutal in nature, she fights with a mace, ready to bash in skulls, rather than to carry the snake staff.

Anti-Eternia Goddess

There isn't really any precedent for this character (that I'm aware of), so her colour scheme was made up, using the usual Anti-Eternia palette and trying to go by what makes sense and gives the best contrast. As the regular version already wears a (dark) red snake collar, I decided to do the collar in the grey colour and work out the rest from there. I think the end result is pretty good.

The model is another old Grenadier mini from the 1980s. It's interesting that Grenadier made multiple poses of the same characters and it helps to further differentiate between the good and bad Goddess, although having duplicate models in different colour schemes doesn't bother me in this project, since it's a nod to the heavy reuse of parts and recoloured characters in the MOTU universe and toy line.

Anti-Eternia and Eternia Goddess

What sorcery is this? You are not the Goddess!

The Anti-Eternians so far (not including Man-At-Arms in Windraider)

Offline Brother Sutek

• Members
« Reply #128 on: June 05, 2019, 05:41:24 AM »
Amazing as always! I love the orange you used for Beastman.
I may disagree with what you say but I respect your right to be punished for it.

"CRRUUDDDAAAAAAACCCCEEEEEEE!!!!!!" <shakes fist at the sky>
-Pirate Robot Ninja of Death

Offline Rowsdower

• Members
  • Is there beer on the sun?
    • Jesse Cowled
« Reply #129 on: June 06, 2019, 04:30:43 AM »
What I've always thought odd about MOTU is that the old mini-comics the toys came with hinted at a lot of depraved stuff yet the cartoon was probably the tamest and most family friendly show of the era.

Offline White Knight

• Members
« Reply #130 on: June 08, 2019, 07:29:42 PM »
When the original toys came out, there wasn't a clear setting yet, so the authors of the minicomics had a lot of freedom. The early minicomics hint at a savage world, where He-Man is a barbarian and not a transformed price. Later they changed it in the MOTU Classics canon to make the minicomic universe a previous He-Man (Oo-larr) from several generations earlier. That doesn't explain how he happened to have a group of friends with the same names as the later Adam He-Man, but well...

Offline Rowsdower

• Members
    • Jesse Cowled
« Reply #131 on: June 10, 2019, 12:36:47 AM »
^ From what I've heard the cartoons writers wanted to kill characters off at numerous points [most notably wanting to kill He-man in the hopes of winning a day time Emmy] but Mattel and Filmation were staunchly opposed to that level of violence; that's why most of the ranged weapons in the series are either 'stun' or 'freeze' rays. It also explains why every episode is bookended with a moral lesson.

Offline Warlord

• Global Moderator
  • Members
  • Sydney, Australia
« Reply #132 on: June 10, 2019, 01:38:41 AM »
I watched an episode the other day. Its very tame considering the character and costume designs.
Quote from: Gneisenau
I hate people who don't paint their armies, hate them with all my guts. Beats me how they value other things over painting, like eating or brushing teeth.

Offline White Knight

• Members
« Reply #133 on: June 10, 2019, 03:03:30 PM »
The cartoon is very painful to sit through now. Like with everything, I'm making up my own version of the world by mixing ideas from the different MOTU canons.

Offline Zak

• Members
  • Mad Viking
    • Mad Viking
« Reply #134 on: June 10, 2019, 04:46:19 PM »
my 8 year old son starting watching them ..he loves it!! passing down the culture lol  :::cheers:::
Yes I'm dyslexic so what

Offline White Knight

• Members
Aroo - The guardian of the City of the Ancients

Only appearing in the episode "Masks of Power", Aroo is a giant demonic blue gorilla-like beast, who was in charge of guarding the said masks in the lost City of the Ancients. He-Man and Man-At-Arms barely escaped with their lives when they encountered him and while the masks were taken, Aroo was just too strong to defeat, even for He-Man.

The giant, apelike Aroo

My version of Aroo is not full size, he'd need to be about 2,5 times the size, which would just make  him look out of place on the table and impossible to work into a scenario where you could fight him and win. So, I settled for a more practical size, which still puts hem at around 115mm tall, on an 80mm base. As he's based on an Eaglemoss figure of Grudd, skillfully converted by the talented John Pickford, he's also made of lead, so weighs a heavy 700g. Painting him was not so easy due to the added weight.

Aroo in the original episode

For size with Skeletor, who's hoping to control him, but may have bitten off more than those weathered teeth can chew

A comparison with the original figure. The Grudd figure is actually pretty close already if you don't care for an exact match. The only really required changes would be replacing the hair with a skullcap with horns and pointy ears poking out, adding a devilish tail and filling in the G to be a circle. As I wanted to get as close as possible, John also changed the mouth, necklace, armbands and wrist guards, belt, loincloth, and added claws to the fingers and feet, as well as turning the oversized skull into a rock.

Offline Rowsdower

• Members
    • Jesse Cowled
Great job on Aroo :eusa_clap:

Offline Zak

• Members
  • Mad Viking
    • Mad Viking
holy crap he is huge!! nice work  :eusa_clap: :eusa_clap: :eusa_clap:
Yes I'm dyslexic so what

Offline White Knight

• Members
Yeah, he was really heavy and unwieldy to hold for painting...  :ph34r:

Offline White Knight

• Members
Re: WK's Masters of the Universe - Well of Spirits (update 12/8)
« Reply #139 on: August 12, 2019, 11:23:14 AM »
Eternia Scenery - Evil Spirits Well

Today's update adds another piece of Scenery to the Eternian landscape in the form of a magical Well of Evil Spirits. It is said he who harnesses the power of the evil spirits within the well can conquer Eternia itself... if he's willing to pay the price. For you see, many of the souls trapped within once belonged to those who thought they could master its powers and failed...

At last, my imbecile lackey, with the power that lies within this Well, Greyskull will fall into my hands.

There is no Well of Evil Spirits in MOTU lore, at leas tnot that I know of, but I think the model fits right in. It is a single part of a plastic Games Workshop terrain kit that I picked up from a bits seller on ebay a few years ago, thinking it would work great as a standalone piece. When I started this MOTU project, I figured it would look great for Eternia. I tried to paint it in a way that would be reminiscent of the colours you would encounter in Eternian rocks and ruins in the Filmation cartoon. I think it works rather well.

A bird's eye view of the well and the spirits trapped within.

An action scene, with evil overlords battling for controle of the Well:

You are too late, Hordak, the power of the Well is mine!

Offline Rowsdower

• Members
    • Jesse Cowled
« Reply #140 on: August 13, 2019, 05:52:51 AM »
You'll need to make a slime pit next

Offline White Knight

• Members
« Reply #141 on: August 13, 2019, 12:39:34 PM »
That is on my list of things to get around to. If I get a suitable dinosaur skull to use and a pair of skeletal hands, the rest shouldn't be too hard. Or I can convert the imaginext one, but it's slightly big for my taste.

Offline Zak

• Members
  • Mad Viking
    • Mad Viking
« Reply #142 on: August 13, 2019, 01:03:07 PM »
what about Moss man, the bee guy ?
Yes I'm dyslexic so what

Offline White Knight

• Members
« Reply #143 on: August 14, 2019, 04:13:23 PM »
More characters will be added if and when they become available. I have Ram-Man, Moss Man, Stratos, Trapjaw, Triklops, Merman, Orko etc... still waiting for their turn to be painted.

Offline Zak

• Members
  • Mad Viking
    • Mad Viking
« Reply #144 on: August 14, 2019, 05:14:21 PM »
More characters will be added if and when they become available. I have Ram-Man, Moss Man, Stratos, Trapjaw, Triklops, Merman, Orko etc... still waiting for their turn to be painted.

Oh wow  :::cheers:::
Yes I'm dyslexic so what

Offline Brother Sutek

• Members
« Reply #145 on: August 18, 2019, 02:44:21 PM »
Triclops for the win! Although I will accept Trapjaw as a close second. Love your work!
I may disagree with what you say but I respect your right to be punished for it.

"CRRUUDDDAAAAAAACCCCEEEEEEE!!!!!!" <shakes fist at the sky>
-Pirate Robot Ninja of Death

Offline White Knight

• Members
Re: WK's Masters of the Universe - Copycat (update 13/6)
« Reply #146 on: June 13, 2020, 05:25:36 PM »
I hadn't painted any 30mm figure since some time last year, so with some more MotU figures on the way, it was time to get back in the saddle. While I wait for my Faker mini to arrive, I thought I'd get a headstart on his mount.

Evil Warriors - Copycat

He-Man has Battlecat and Skeletor has Panthor. It stands to reason that Faker, with his whole He-Man impersonation obsession would get his own mount. Copycat, sometimes referred to as Bogus Cat, is another fanmade creation, subject of a lot of custom action figures. A robotic duplicate of Battlecat, it sports Faker's colour scheme, so that no confusion is possible.

The fearless robot called Copycat...

The model is another of the old Grenadier Battlecat models, with a blank resin base from Fenris Games and texture added with putty.

I assume Copycat was created by Skeletor or Triclops, but as I haven't painted my Triclops yet...

Come forward, my glorious creation! Nyaaaah!

By the Sorceress' beak! What is this freakshow?

And a quick side by side of my three interpretations of Battlecat: regular, copy and anti-Eternia:

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
  • Happy Spring! : )
« Reply #147 on: June 13, 2020, 08:10:48 PM »
Welcome back! :::cheers:::
"Not all who wander are lost ... " Tolkien

"... my old suggestion is forget it, take two aspirins and go paint" steveb

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

"Until death it is all life." Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra

Offline White Knight

• Members
« Reply #148 on: June 14, 2020, 01:24:14 PM »
Thanks. I keep getting an itch to paint up one of these cats as an armoured mount for an Empire knight panther hero. Does that sound crazy?

Offline JAK

• Members
« Reply #149 on: June 14, 2020, 01:32:46 PM »
Thanks. I keep getting an itch to paint up one of these cats as an armoured mount for an Empire knight panther hero. Does that sound crazy?

No – what would be crazy would be - NOT doing a Full Unit of Knight Panther on Battlecats.

Welcome back – looking forward to your progress this this theme.