home

Author Topic: Breathing in new life for W-E in 2023 ...  (Read 2205 times)

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
  • Happy Spring! : )
Breathing in new life for W-E in 2023 ...
« on: February 03, 2023, 05:24:33 PM »
Every now and then, W-E seeks ideas to see what what folks might have regarding moving the site forward.

Let's not turn this thread into an anti Back Table thread, not that opinions on that won't also be reviewed, except looking for ideas beyond the opinions that have been recently expressed regarding the Back Table.

Not that every idea posed is going to happen, although some idea(s) may.  The general intent is to see how the community might see things that could be improvements, and perhaps grow the community accordingly.

I don't expect that this site will return to what it once was, yet perhaps it can still have value for some in one way or another.
"Not all who wander are lost ... " Tolkien

"... my old suggestion is forget it, take two aspirins and go paint" steveb

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

"Until death it is all life." Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra

Offline Zygmund

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
    • https://www.facebook.com/groups/288460758594334
Re: Breathing in new life for W-E in 2023 ...
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2023, 06:41:55 PM »
If there are ideas presented in the BT, maybe summarize them here?

6th ed is in vogue, and the old WarRoom/Library/Resources articles should find their audience. Get them up again, now that AverlandArchiver did a good job of pulling some tactica out of the depths of the web.

Otherwise, there's the old thread: http://warhammer-empire.com/theforum/index.php?topic=55482.0.
Nothing was done with those or other ideas 13 moons back. Maybe now is the time?

-Z
Live in peace and prosper.

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2023, 07:07:01 PM »
Haven't seen any ideas presented in the back table regarding the site, only a thread complaining about the back table, and at this point, it's staying.

I will look into the war room articles, and your mention of 6th edition gives me something to chew on as well, thank you!

Will reveiew that old thread.

Thanks for your input! :::cheers:::

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

Online commandant

• Members
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2023, 03:48:50 PM »
The idea of zoom painting was good. Maybe something that could be done regularly

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2023, 03:50:04 PM »
Ok ... will check calendar and start that back up again.  Thanks for the reminder. :::cheers:::

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2023, 09:13:15 PM »
. . .

6th ed is in vogue, and the old WarRoom/Library/Resources articles should find their audience. Get them up again, now that AverlandArchiver did a good job of pulling some tactica out of the depths of the web.
So at the moment I'm not sure how we can get the War Room, Library, and Resources going again, although consideration is being given to getting the Gallery and Articles running again.  The issue I see with the War Room/Library/Resources idea is that with GW seeming to be on the road to returning and re-releasing the Old World at a different time period, and apparently intending to release new rules as well, not sure how useful the time will be putting up items from 10+ years ago.

Perhaps these items could be started up again with the impending GW re-release, and once we get an idea of what the rules and fluff are looking like.

Also, wondering how it is being determined that 6th Edition is in vogue again, and whether or not a 6th edition rebirth will get cut short when GW does its re-release.

Otherwise, there's the old thread: http://warhammer-empire.com/theforum/index.php?topic=55482.0.
So I looked at this thread and saw suggestions for migrating to other platforms.

I checked out the W-E face book page, except it seemed like a closed system only for those using face book.

If I recall, the discourse thing-a-ma-jig is another social media platform that can't be owned by a user.  If there's a discord for W-E, then not even sure how to find it, nor get on to it, etc.

And I checked out the Reddit page ... it's such a mess of folks just posting photos without any clear indication of social interaction, although maybe I just don't get what's going on with that.

- - - - - -

Meanwhile ...

What ideas do folks have for achieving momentum moving towards GW's apparent re-release of the Old World :icon_question:
« Last Edit: March 05, 2023, 04:11:13 AM by GamesPoet »

Offline Zygmund

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2023, 07:47:09 AM »
The issue I see with the War Room/Library/Resources idea is that with GW seeming to be on the road to returning and re-releasing the Old World at a different time period, and apparently intending to release new rules as well, not sure how useful the time will be putting up items from 10+ years ago?

After the work done by AverlandArchiver, these items are available NOW. They can be put online NOW. Whatever the future holds, they would be available NOW. I cannot say how many people they would serve in the future, but they would clearly serve a couple of dozen people NOW.

Perhaps these items could be started up again with the impending GW re-release, and once we get an idea of what the rules and fluff are looking like.

Sure, and looking forward to that!

Also, wondering how it is being determined that 6th Edition is in vogue again, and whether otr not a 6th edition rebirth will get cut short when GW does its re-release.

Most rules-specific threads on this forum - and especially most rules-specific questions by the newly joined - concern the 6th edition. 8th ed seems to be the other one people attune to. But the 8th edition does have a forum of its own (EEFL), so probably people go there to discuss the 8th ed.

Otherwise than what happens on this forum, I cannot say for sure. All I can say is that in my own gaming circles the 6th ed has risen as an alternative to The Ninth Age (T9A), bypassing Kings of War in popularity. Other than that, there is sporadic 8th ed, 5th ed, and a rare 7th ed (with 6th ed books) in between. But out of the 'nostalgia editions', the 6th ed is in vogue. (Of course AoS is the other big game next to T9A).

So I looked at this thread and saw suggestions for migrating to other platforms.  I checked out the W-E face book page, except it seemed like a closed system only for those using face book.  If I recall the discourse thing-a-ma-jig is another social media platform that can't be owned by a user.  If there's a discord for W-E, then not even sure how to find it, nor get on to it, etc.  And I checked out the Reddit page ... it's such a mess of folks just posting photos without any clear indication of social interaction, although maybe I just don't get what's going on with that.

Things move at a brisk pace in the social media.

FB Warhammer-Empire has been in the decline for several years already. It nowadays has about ten new threads per month, and half of that tends to be 3d printing companies' ads. So is about as 'dead/alive' as this forum is.

FB Warhammer Fantasy: The Empire seems to be the place to discuss Empire these days. It has about 50 new threads per month.

But there are many other FB sites. The way you use them is you join those that interest you, and then your FB feed will be a combination of those sites, or you can log those sites when you like. That equals the forum experience of the old. And yes, you have to join these groups, they're not open to everyone to see. Also, as a disclaimer, I'm not a fan of the FB interface. But that is where the people are, and stuff is happening over there.

About Discord, I haven't been able to find Warhammer Empire specific discussions. Discord groups tend to be game specific, and they also seem to have a local nature. So try to find your local/national Discords for the games you like, and discuss the Empire under that aegis. T9A is an obvious one. The Crown of Command group is international and very active. It is about the Warhammer hobby as it was in the 90s, with various offshoots. The same group is also active in the FB, under the same name (about 30 new threads per month).

Agree Reddit is a mess. Best used as an inspirational colouring book via the google image search.

People also use Instagram and Twitter to show their hobby. Probably also TikTok and other such platforms. This is where the kids and youth of today are active. These groups are very personal, a networking thing, and come and go. But searching for Warhammer & Empire over at Instagram & Twitter will probably bring you some content. Probably more than the W-E has. I'm not active in these media, so cannot give directions.

Modern social media also has the instant messaging platforms, such as Messenger, WhatsApp etc., where there are some groups that are bigger than just personal gaming groups. Finding and joining them is purely about networking - you cannot find them in the open. They might be quite inclusive too. Then again all smaller social media groups are inclusive echo chambers.

Out of all the old style fora, Lead Adventure is probably the one most active. It harbours every aspect of the hobby, not just Warhammer and definitely not just the Empire. Actually, Warhammer has very little presence over there, but then again the Renaissance section is full of Empire-relevant painting, with 'alternative' historical figurines.

The other active forum is T9A. Of course, it's totally T9A centric, but does have a hobby corner for each army, the Empire of Sonnstahl included. Some gorgeous and inspirational Empire projects over there.

My point with listing all these other sites was that the activity is still there, just that it has migrated to other platforms. And likely will not migrate back here. You have to be active nowadays to find your peer groups. When the WH:tOW hits, you will see new FB and Discord etc. groups pop up, and people will mostly discuss the new/old game there. They will not return en masse to old forum platforms. Most who pick up the new game in the shops will never learn about the W-E site.

Hope this clarifies what I meant. :)

Maybe you should start an advertisement campaign over at the other platforms, to try to suck the people to this forum?
(Don't do it, it would look bad!  :ph34r:)

-Z
« Last Edit: March 07, 2023, 07:59:42 AM by Zygmund »

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2023, 08:53:04 AM »
The issue I see with the War Room/Library/Resources idea is that with GW seeming to be on the road to returning and re-releasing the Old World at a different time period, and apparently intending to release new rules as well, not sure how useful the time will be putting up items from 10+ years ago?
After the work done by AverlandArchiver, these items are available NOW. They can be put online NOW. Whatever the future holds, they would be available NOW. I cannot say how many people they would serve in the future, but they would clearly serve a couple of dozen people NOW.
Where’s that info?

Sure, and looking forward to that!
Lots of effort o this will be needed, and will keep folks posted.

Also, wondering how it is being determined that 6th Edition is in vogue again, and whether or not a 6th edition rebirth will get cut short when GW does its re-release.
Most rules-specific threads on this forum - and especially most rules-specific questions by the newly joined - concern the 6th edition. 8th ed seems to be the other one people attune to. But the 8th edition does have a forum of its own (EEFL), so probably people go there to discuss the 8th ed.

Otherwise than what happens on this forum, I cannot say for sure. All I can say is that in my own gaming circles the 6th ed has risen as an alternative to The Ninth Age (T9A), bypassing Kings of War in popularity. Other than that, there is sporadic 8th ed, 5th ed, and a rare 7th ed (with 6th ed books) in between. But out of the 'nostalgia editions', the 6th ed is in vogue. (Of course AoS is the other big game next to T9A).
I’m planning to create edition specific child boards in the WFB Electors Forum soon.

With what GW has been saying about the release of Warhammer: The Old World, my sense is this is going to be similar to WFB, although not the same, and thus we might have the current “The Old World Cometh Again!!” area (with a name change) be turned into and for Warhammer: The Old World.  We could still have the WFB Electors Forum for the various WFB editions accordingly.  However, its going to be a good sized task to get get the WFB area updated accordingly.

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2023, 08:55:01 AM »
So I looked at this thread and saw suggestions for migrating to other platforms.  I checked out the W-E face book page, except it seemed like a closed system only for those using face book.  If I recall the discourse thing-a-ma-jig is another social media platform that can't be owned by a user.  If there's a discord for W-E, then not even sure how to find it, nor get on to it, etc.  And I checked out the Reddit page ... it's such a mess of folks just posting photos without any clear indication of social interaction, although maybe I just don't get what's going on with that.

Things move at a brisk pace in the social media.

FB Warhammer-Empire has been in the decline for several years already. It nowadays has about ten new threads per month, and half of that tends to be 3d printing companies' ads. So is about as 'dead/alive' as this forum is.

FB Warhammer Fantasy: The Empire seems to be the place to discuss Empire these days. It has about 50 new threads per month.

But there are many other FB sites. The way you use them is you join those that interest you, and then your FB feed will be a combination of those sites, or you can log those sites when you like. That equals the forum experience of the old. And yes, you have to join these groups, they're not open to everyone to see. Also, as a disclaimer, I'm not a fan of the FB interface. But that is where the people are, and stuff is happening over there.

About Discord, I haven't been able to find Warhammer Empire specific discussions. Discord groups tend to be game specific, and they also seem to have a local nature. So try to find your local/national Discords for the games you like, and discuss the Empire under that aegis. T9A is an obvious one. The Crown of Command group is international and very active. It is about the Warhammer hobby as it was in the 90s, with various offshoots. The same group is also active in the FB, under the same name (about 30 new threads per month).

Agree Reddit is a mess. Best used as an inspirational colouring book via the google image search.

People also use Instagram and Twitter to show their hobby. Probably also TikTok and other such platforms. This is where the kids and youth of today are active. These groups are very personal, a networking thing, and come and go. But searching for Warhammer & Empire over at Instagram & Twitter will probably bring you some content. Probably more than the W-E has. I'm not active in these media, so cannot give directions.

Modern social media also has the instant messaging platforms, such as Messenger, WhatsApp etc., where there are some groups that are bigger than just personal gaming groups. Finding and joining them is purely about networking - you cannot find them in the open. They might be quite inclusive too. Then again all smaller social media groups are inclusive echo chambers.

Out of all the old style fora, Lead Adventure is probably the one most active. It harbours every aspect of the hobby, not just Warhammer and definitely not just the Empire. Actually, Warhammer has very little presence over there, but then again the Renaissance section is full of Empire-relevant painting, with 'alternative' historical figurines.

The other active forum is T9A. Of course, it's totally T9A centric, but does have a hobby corner for each army, the Empire of Sonnstahl included. Some gorgeous and inspirational Empire projects over there.

My point with listing all these other sites was that the activity is still there, just that it has migrated to other platforms. And likely will not migrate back here. You have to be active nowadays to find your peer groups. When the WH:tOW hits, you will see new FB and Discord etc. groups pop up, and people will mostly discuss the new/old game there. They will not return en masse to old forum platforms. Most who pick up the new game in the shops will never learn about the W-E site.

Hope this clarifies what I meant. :)
Fascinating.  So some of the other talk I’ve seen recently about everything migrating to other forums is only partially valid, and isn’t quite what it seems like it's cracked up to be.  And will keep this info in mind for other items that are being considered.  Good to know, and appreciate the lengthy update, very helpful!  :icon_cool: :eusa_clap: :::cheers:::

Offline Zygmund

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2023, 05:22:19 PM »

Where’s that info?

Here:
War Room 6th Edition Articles - Restored

It's the different tactica. Not any other articles.

-Z

Offline KTG17

• Members
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2023, 08:07:24 PM »
I am the last person to comment on what should be avail for WFB, but if I were asked... I would like to see sections for specific games or eras. Like Oldhammer for 1st-5th, then 6th, then not sure if 7th and 8th can be grouped, and then Old World. I say this because I have fallen in love with the colorful days of Oldhammer, but not sure if there is still a lot talked about it. I do keep up on what others are doing on other platforms tho. 6th seems to be a beast all of its own, and there is prob as much material on the 6th era as there was for 1st-5th. I don't know if 7th and 8th are popular enough to have their own sections tho, but if you are going to do the others...

The problem with WFB history is that it is so huge and its kind of overwhelming going thru a single forum that covers 8 editions, so I tend to look elsewhere.

Also, Mordheim is amazingly cult-like. Still going strong and I still watch interviews with the creator. It would be cool to pool resources somewhere here because to me its one of the greatest things to come out of fantasy. And even tho I do not touch AoS or WarCry, they should have specific sections too. I don't know how active they would be, but they could always be removed if they aren't popular.

There does seem a lot that needs to be cleaned up or filed away in archive. Things might have been fun or awesome back in 2013 but nothing is going on with it. Maybe they can be moved to an archive area. 

Back when I first discovered the site, I was brand new to WFB, and after buying way too much I went back to 40k and bought too much there. Then it was LOTR and spent too much on all that. Then I moved on to Dropzone and Dropfleet Commander and are in the process of spending way too much on that. Eventually I will come around to WFB tho. Just have to get over this obsession before I get on to another, and why I don't have a lot to say about it. But it would be cool to easily see what others are doing and for what.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2023, 08:10:45 PM by KTG17 »

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2023, 08:20:18 PM »
I am the last person to comment on what should be avail for WFB, but if I were asked... I would like to see sections for specific games or eras. Like Oldhammer for 1st-5th, then 6th, then not sure if 7th and 8th can be grouped, and then Old World. I say this because I have fallen in love with the colorful days of Oldhammer, but not sure if there is still a lot talked about it. I do keep up on what others are doing on other platforms tho. 6th seems to be a beast all of its own, and there is prob as much material on the 6th era as there was for 1st-5th. I don't know if 7th and 8th are popular enough to have their own sections tho, but if you are going to do the others...
This is in process, child boards have been set up for placement, threads need to be moved for placement inside their respective areas for the categories.

Also, Mordheim is amazingly cult-like. Still going strong and I still watch interviews with the creator. It would be cool to pool resources somewhere here because to me its one of the greatest things to come out of fantasy. And even tho I do not touch AoS or WarCry, they should have specific sections too. I don't know how active they would be, but they could always be removed if they aren't popular.
Good idea.  However, with me being the only active admin/moderator currently, not sure when it can get done yet.  I am also imagining doing the same types of things in various other areas of the forum as well.  Much to do!

There does seem a lot that needs to be cleaned up or filed away in archive. Things might have been fun or awesome back in 2013 but nothing is going on with it. Maybe they can be moved to an archive area.
Very true, and this is in process as the various priorities and new ideas are being created, developed, and implemented.

Thank you for your input and feedback! :icon_cool: :::cheers:::

Offline Zygmund

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2023, 08:43:57 PM »
I would like to see sections for specific games or eras. Like Oldhammer for 1st-5th, then 6th, then not sure if 7th and 8th can be grouped, and then Old World.

I find this a good initiative.

Typically, the 'eras' of Warhammer are divided as follows:
  • 1st & 2nd eds (early/RPG era with the setting emerging)
  • 3rd ed ('true' Oldhammer with the first army lists)
  • 4th & 5th eds (Herohammer)
  • 6th & 7th eds (ArmyHammer or ClassicHammer, perhaps the best game balance)
  • 8th ed (BuffHammer)

However, I don't know if the W-E site is active enough to support such a division. The idea that people would write the edition in the topic should be enough.

There is also some profiling, even competition, among different fan communities. There is the Oldhammer forum, which seems to be alive. The Crown of Command community (FB and Discord) is heavily focusing on the 90s HeroHammer era, and has collected hobbyists from all over the world. I don't think the current W-E forum can or should compete with that. Then there's the Eight Edition for Life forum, which sucked out most of 8th ed discussion from W-E and is still active. This still leaves the 6th & 7th eds sort of without a home (the ClassicHammer forum died), so maybe W-E could focus on those, and of course WH:tOW.

Interestingly, various non-Warhammer Fantasy Battle games link to different editions or eras of Warhammer.
  • Oathmark is clearly of the older, simpler era with less personality in the rules and hence also better balance (It's the least Warhammery in this list).
  • Kings of War links strongly to the ethos of the 6th ed, with very limited magic.
  • The Ninth Age continues the 8th ed buffhammer, but this time with good balance.
  • Warhammer Army Project tries to bring everything and more together under the aegis of 7th/8th ed.
And there are more of these fan editions.

If you wanted to go with the ethos and style of play, you might even argue for combining Warhammer editions and non-Warhammer Fantasy Battle games together. (Or perhaps not.  :icon_lol:)

Mordheim already has a very active fan community, partly based on the old rules and partly leaning on the fan-corrected rules online: https://broheim.net/downloads.html.

Not saying Mordheim shouldn't have a presence on the W-E forum. Just thinking people would gravitate towards the existing and very active FB group, so there probably wouldn't be much added value with a W-E presence. (Then again the W-E forum has become so small compared to various FB groups that this rationale could be used everywhere.)

-Z
« Last Edit: March 09, 2023, 08:38:47 AM by Zygmund »

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2023, 04:41:56 AM »
The child boards established are Oldhammer 1-3, Herohammer 4-5, 6th, 7th, 8th, and EoT.  The idea is to use them initially to divide the threads out in the Electors Forum, and see what the number of threads really are before making further choices.

So far I've only done two pages of threads, more to do, it'd be wonderful to have someone else to help with this ... although we'd need a volunteer. :engel:

Also, interesting idea on Oathmark, KoW, 9th age, and WAP, yet not sure what we'll do with that.  It feels like a stretch to move in that direction, especially when there's only one admin/mod actively working on the site at the moment. :icon_wink:

When Warhammer: The Old World arrives, it'll be interesting to see what happens with fantasy sites.  One of our strengths at W-E has been having it as an Empire oriented place.  That was weakened by GW's choice to drop WFB, and we didn't respond well to that from a number of perspectives, although that is hindsight.

Today is today, tomorrow will become today, and we need to be ready.  Planning thru having goals, knowing where we are, and taking action to get to the goals are key to making the most of our Warhammer-Empire future.

:icon_cool: :::cheers:::
« Last Edit: March 09, 2023, 03:53:20 PM by GamesPoet »

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2023, 10:52:41 PM »
Progress ...

After getting thru the first 3 pages of the Electors forum it seems the trend is definitely strong for 6th, 8th, and set up a new section on Comparing Editions which also seemed to be relatively common.

Suspect as I go deeper into the threads, there will eventually be more EoT, and 7th showing up as well, yet we'll see.

Offline Zygmund

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #15 on: May 01, 2023, 08:23:17 AM »
People don't find the child boards. I'd say as long as you keep them as child boards, they will not see much traffic.

Also, the last month on this forum has been about TOW hype. Perhaps we don't have people who actually play games with the currently available editions? Just painters and meta-hype/bash guys.

I have to admit I just don't have the time to write here and upload and link pictures, despite painting Old World humans regularly and playing 6th ed actively and running an Empire Civil War campaign. That content goes to the relevant FB groups, because I can upload photos directly from my phone.

-Z

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #16 on: May 01, 2023, 09:42:42 AM »
Something to consider.  The folks here who are playing older editions aren't posting either.  Not sure the older editions are going to see much traffic anyway, because of the Old World being re-released.  And time certainly seems part of the issue.  We have continued to seeing former users return, and as things for the Old World move forward, perhaps we'll see more activity.

Things aren't going to be the same here no matter what we do.  There are forces outside our ability to control that will have an impact.  Perhaps the best we can do is participate as possible, encourage others through being part of the community, and enjoy the hobby with the time we have available.

Offline KTG17

• Members
« Reply #17 on: May 01, 2023, 02:19:49 PM »
The Crown of Command community (FB and Discord)

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I am a huge fan of this guy! I follow him on Youtube, but I didn't know he was on FB (which I try not to use) nor discord. I will try to find him on discord.

He focuses on what I consider to be the Golden Age of GW, and love what he is doing. Even did a Man O War campaign. !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  One of my favorite channels to follow. I am more interested in 4th/5th era these days than the later. Too bad he doesnt post here.

Offline Zygmund

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #18 on: May 02, 2023, 08:31:04 PM »
The Crown of Command community (FB and Discord)

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I am a huge fan of this guy! I follow him on Youtube, but I didn't know he was on FB (which I try not to use) nor discord. I will try to find him on discord.

No wonder the CoC people don't post here, because their channels are already full of goodness. There are dozens of painters who post in the FB group & Discord.

One guy, Gert, is running a painting challenge and compiling monthly photo reports on his blog:
https://gjsworkshop.wordpress.com/2023/04/06/call-of-the-crown-march-update/?fbclid=IwAR0A-f5rp7P5P6fjNsHH2uOmlSShYded7-73vM0vIecIG91EM_eoSu6BCHA

-Z