home

Author Topic: Other Manufacturers  (Read 667762 times)

Offline Mathi Alfblut

• Members
  • intres cum fixura sine misericordia
Re: Other Manufacturers
« Reply #850 on: November 28, 2011, 05:39:35 PM »
Oh my... my pants... and wallet!  :Ohmy:

I have one of their minis, Dule Griet, and they are smashing! Them landsknechts, so sweet. And I love them priests. Thing is they would work in 40K too...
Oh, and remember GW made it personal, not you!

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
  • Happy Spring! : )
« Reply #851 on: November 28, 2011, 05:57:04 PM »
Those are some mighty good looking miniatures there! :icon_biggrin:
"Not all who wander are lost ... " Tolkien

"... my old suggestion is forget it, take two aspirins and go paint" steveb

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

"Until death it is all life." Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra

Offline towishimp

• Members
« Reply #852 on: November 28, 2011, 07:18:49 PM »
Those warrior priests are great!
One cannot be deeply responsive to the world without being saddened very often. -- Erich Fromm

Offline Justnorth

• Members
« Reply #853 on: November 28, 2011, 08:29:23 PM »
The halberdiers are a bit special, liking them a lot.
GW can pucker their skanky lips and suck my arse.

He's French. Since when do his plans have to be feasible?

Offline Padre

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #854 on: November 28, 2011, 10:07:32 PM »
Camel Cavalry.

I am looking to build at least one unit of Camelry with minimum 8 models. It's probably going to end up being two units with at least 8 models each, one with sword and shield and the other with spears.

My Cam Cav in battle in during the A3 campaign:

If you wanna see my Arabyan army on parade, then see the old Crisis in Marienburg post - http://www.marienburgcampaign.com/forum/index.php?topic=414.0

My camelry are Black Tree Designs, from their Feudal range. Go to 'Fuedal', then go to 'Warriors of Islam', and you should be ok from there. I love them.

Link which may work for you - http://www.blacktreedesign.com/uk/home.php?cat=2486
« Last Edit: November 28, 2011, 10:13:27 PM by Padre »
Photobucket has now re-destroyed my pictures, so the first half of my collected works thread is no longer working again. To see my website version of the campaign thread, with fully functioning pictures, please go to https://bigsmallworlds.com/

Offline Justnorth

• Members
« Reply #855 on: November 29, 2011, 03:47:58 PM »
Padre, they do indeed look lovely, nice job mate. :icon_cool:

I have received my first three Black tree camel cavalry.  They came with a coiled length of wire that they obviously want me to make into three spears, is that how they came for you Padre ?

Also, Midaski, I ordered (and paid for) them (and a bunch of other models as well) last Thursday night and they all arrived in the post on Monday.
Why are you bleating about Black trees delivery service?

Offline Justnorth

• Members
« Reply #856 on: November 29, 2011, 03:50:25 PM »
http://www.grippingbeast.com/product.php?ItemID=148

These are £12 quid for two and the Black tree are currently cheaper than £9 quid for three.
Bit of a no brainer price wise but the GB camels do look nice.

Just ordered 9 more Black Tree camels, most of the spear options show the riders are in light armour. Very nice.

Padre, where did you get your Camel mounted musician ?
« Last Edit: November 29, 2011, 04:09:21 PM by Justnorth »

Offline Justnorth

• Members
« Reply #857 on: November 29, 2011, 04:18:41 PM »
Eunuchs ?

Anybody know where to find nice looking Eunuch models.?

I want a unit of Eunuchs in my Caliphate army.

Offline Midaski

• Sunny Sussex, England
  • Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #858 on: November 29, 2011, 05:55:35 PM »
Padre, where did you get your Camel mounted musician ?
I believe it was possibly a Magister Militum one - I asked the same question.

http://www.navigatorminiatures.com/product.asp?numRecordPosition=4&P_ID=1490&strPageHistory=cat&strKeywords=&SearchFor=&PT_ID=235

However they do not have a picture so not certain - it was designed for a horse so it may not be a good fit.

OR

...... it could be a Perry one - from their Crusades Muslim range.

http://www.perry-miniatures.com/index.php?cPath=23_33_53

Also - Have you looked at the Artizan Moors?

Eunuchs ?

Anybody know where to find nice looking Eunuch models.?

I want a unit of Eunuchs in my Caliphate army.

Apart form the obvious  :engel: ...... and I assume you will not be looking for naked models, what 'look' are you after?

Big fat bald guys like the Kislev Bear Tamer?

« Last Edit: November 29, 2011, 06:15:01 PM by Midaski »
Quote from: Gneisenau
Metal to Finecast - It is mostly a swap of medium. 

You mean they will be using Ouija boards instead of Tarot cards for their business plans from now on?

Offline orcyboy

• Members
« Reply #859 on: November 29, 2011, 06:12:51 PM »

Also, Midaski, I ordered (and paid for) them (and a bunch of other models as well) last Thursday night and they all arrived in the post on Monday.

The last time I order from them (about 2 years ago) it took 6 months for them to deliver.  The complaints have died down as of late, so maybe they've gotten things in order now.

Offline Midaski

• Sunny Sussex, England
  • Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #860 on: November 29, 2011, 06:30:30 PM »
I have received my first three Black tree camel cavalry.  They came with a coiled length of wire that they obviously want me to make into three spears, is that how they came for you Padre ?

The coiled wire is for you to make spears - they are still a bit 'old school'  :engel:

As to the delivery - I ordered 21 packs of Fantasy Saracens on the 13th August

First delivery sometime late in September had just 6 packs -

Second delivery at the end of October had 13 packs

Still waiting for the last 2 packs to arrive and it's 28th November ...........
They did actually send me a couple of free packs with the second delivery because of the delay

I think it depends on the range - they have an address in Cornwall, and they also have a tie-in with Grendel in Scotland, and they have the main accounting base in Texas.
I think Grendel spin the old Harlequin stuff for them - where the other ranges are made I am not sure.

Quote from: Gneisenau
Metal to Finecast - It is mostly a swap of medium. 

You mean they will be using Ouija boards instead of Tarot cards for their business plans from now on?

Offline Padre

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #861 on: November 30, 2011, 09:28:45 PM »

I can't remember what they came with. I used brass rod bought from my local model shop (as I did with my pikemen too).

And yeah, the musician is from the Perry musician set, Midaski. I did not know it was, until I saw that pic of all the three figures that came in my set. (I bought them at a convention when I wasn't paying attention. Note to self - 'At convention pay attention!')  I loved that set, and posed all the models in several campaign photo stories.
Photobucket has now re-destroyed my pictures, so the first half of my collected works thread is no longer working again. To see my website version of the campaign thread, with fully functioning pictures, please go to https://bigsmallworlds.com/

Offline Justnorth

• Members
« Reply #862 on: December 01, 2011, 06:59:14 AM »
I think it depends on the range - they have an address in Cornwall, and they also have a tie-in with Grendel in Scotland, and they have the main accounting base in Texas.

The Cornish address is in Marazion which is very close to St Michaels mount, a few minutes out of Penzance along the beach front. I drove by once when i was on holiday but it was closed.
The accounting base in Texas is probably through the wife, she's a yank, nice lady with a big ole booty on her, a few years back at Salute, Black-tree were next to the Bolt Action Miniature stand where my mates were working and during pack up the 'big booty' bent over and knocked one of their expensive perspex display cylinders over, shattering it into a squillion bits. No save allowed. O_o

For spears I pay the extra and get the Perry metal spears, very sharp but straight as a dime.

I have a confession to make, after I asked the question about the Camelry drummer I then wandered off to dredge up my Caliphate 28mm models and I found a bunch of camel cavalry already there I had forgotten about and in it was the very same Perry model still in the blister,  :icon_rolleyes: oh dear... 

Offline Shadowlord

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #863 on: December 02, 2011, 07:18:24 AM »
Lead Adventure is my second favorite miniature company - they simply rock.

Thanks for the pics.
My hood is my castle...

Offline Wolfgang aus Wien

• Members
« Reply #864 on: December 02, 2011, 01:36:54 PM »
Brass wire for spear shafts is "Old School' in the same way that a tree trunk for a spear shaft is 'Noo Skool'..........
Currently painting some plastic guys from the Weapons & Warriors series of toy boxes as City Guard (= Halberdiers).

Offline Blue in vt

• Members
« Reply #865 on: December 02, 2011, 02:38:49 PM »
Lead Adventure is my second favorite miniature company - they simply rock.

Thanks for the pics.

Agree completely...wonderful sculpts...and Ratnik in particular is one of my favorites...the dwarfs he has been previewing the last week or so over on LAF are just wonderful!

Cheers,

Blue
My Painting and Collecting Blog: http://bluesmarauders.blogspot.com/

Offline Justnorth

• Members
« Reply #866 on: December 02, 2011, 08:03:47 PM »

My Cam Cav in battle in during the A3 campaign:

What was the A3 Campaign ?

Offline Marek

• Members
  • Pig Tickler
« Reply #867 on: December 03, 2011, 10:45:45 AM »
Hmmm that Ratnik/LAF Archbishop is bit brilliant.

Can anyone recommend any good suppliers/ranges of wire trees? They are quite expensive for what they are, so I'd like any advice on offer before purchasing. Thanks.
Cheer up, could be worse.

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Members
  • i'm a mercenary doom bringer
« Reply #868 on: December 03, 2011, 05:47:15 PM »

Offline Timbor

• Members
« Reply #869 on: December 03, 2011, 08:55:29 PM »
I was looking at some of that stuff, and from what I could see, the landsknechts don't look like they are any nicer than the artizan ones, and at a higher cost...

24 artizan pikemen unit - 24.60 gbp
16 foundry pikemen unit - 25GBP (UK cost - higher for everyone else)

That's without any sort of sales...
If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason. - J.H.

Paint Log: link  Blog: My Life in Millimetres

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Members
« Reply #870 on: December 04, 2011, 12:11:25 AM »
I agree.

Saw a comment on TMP that Foundry has pulled all the old Perry landsknecht sculpts. If so, that's a horrible shame -- they are beautiful figures.

Offline Timbor

• Members
« Reply #871 on: December 04, 2011, 02:23:06 AM »
Why would they do that?  Do they have to pay royalties to the Perrys to sell their sculpts or something? 
If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason. - J.H.

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Members
« Reply #872 on: December 04, 2011, 02:54:36 AM »
I have absolutely no idea. I haven't even personally verified that its true (yet.)

Offline Timbor

• Members
« Reply #873 on: December 04, 2011, 04:06:23 AM »
Yeah, its hard to see why a company would re-make a historical line unless they are going to make it arguably better.  It's not like in fantasy where fluff and settings change and evolve with time...

On the plus side, its nice to see their fantasy ranges expanding.  I'm not sold on lots of it, but at least its cool to see the options available.  I am a sucker for their mercenary orcs and ogres though  :engel:

Offline White Knight

• Members
« Reply #874 on: December 04, 2011, 11:22:56 AM »
I believe Foundry does have an agreement where they have to pay royalties to the Perries.

Even so, replacing all those perfect sculpts with these new amateurish ones is an insult. I bought the Foundry Condotierre book and it's full of pics of the new ones that make me cringe every time I see them. Especially when they show some of the Perry ones on the same page. The puffy sleeve parts look like the conversions of someone who's new to greenstuff. 

The Artizan ones are vastly superior if you want to buy historical landsknechts.