home

Author Topic: Imperial nobility blood bowl team  (Read 6508 times)

Offline The Black Knight

• Members
Imperial nobility blood bowl team
« on: November 16, 2021, 06:43:26 PM »
Greetings!

So this summer I've treated myself to the Blood Bowl 2E started set. The black orcs went to my brother, while the empire nobility team I've kept for myself. I was toying with the idea of porting them onto square bases and making manaan's blades out of them, but they are just too large for that. Plus we were eager to give the game a spin and I must say that the new edition is great. Soon my gaming buddies got sucked in too and lo and behold we have started a league. And since playing with unpainted models is less than ideal (and most likely offends Nuffle), I've decided to get some paint on the minis.

Since I own a pretty substantial imperial army that needs stripping and re-painting, I figured this would be a good opportunity to test some colour schemes. And when I say some, I mean as many as I can. So each player will be sporting a uniform from a different province or city. Thus the Kaiserschmetterlinge team was born in all of their rainbow glory (we'll see how it goes).

First up, the lovely lady Helga from Reikland:

She is not 100% finished. I am going to apply some gloss varnish to her armour to make it look more polished, she is missing her number at the back (has been applied with a transfer after the photo was taken). The base needs work too obviously. The whites, browns and reds are done with contrast paints (plus a few highlights). I am using them more and more I find. Stay tuned, I hope to churn these out rather quickly.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2021, 06:45:35 PM by The Black Knight »
"All right... we'll call it a draw".

My fantasy-themed terrain log

Offline Sharkbelly

• Members
Re: Imperial nobility blood bowl team
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2021, 03:40:30 PM »
Fantastic! I have been tempted to pick these guys up too, and your paint job just encourages me.  :::cheers:::

Offline Jmash

• Members
  • Lancashire, UK
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2021, 09:59:49 AM »
I got a set of these on eBay as soon as the starter set was released, they are awesome minis albeit a tiiiny bit too big to fit alongside regular Empire troops. I pinched them for conversion bits mainly - Ogre is going into a Militia/Mercs group, Griff Oberwald has become an army standard bearer with a headswap, various other heads scattered throughout the army mainly on Greatswords on account of their impressive moustachios and massive hat feathers. They need a little bit of work to get the helmets looking military rather than sportsy but nothing a little bit of greenstuff won't fix. Unsure at this point what to do with the rest of the bodies though but I'll come up with something - I actually think they'll be the 'right' scale for humans when the new Old World comes about... :unsure:

Anyways, I digresss, these are looking awesome, great colours so far and I'm looking forward to seeing what comes next! :::cheers:::

Offline The Black Knight

• Members
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2021, 08:51:33 PM »
Many thanks for both your comments!  :icon_biggrin:

I got a set of these on eBay as soon as the starter set was released, they are awesome minis albeit a tiiiny bit too big to fit alongside regular Empire troops. I pinched them for conversion bits mainly - Ogre is going into a Militia/Mercs group, Griff Oberwald has become an army standard bearer with a headswap, various other heads scattered throughout the army mainly on Greatswords on account of their impressive moustachios and massive hat feathers. They need a little bit of work to get the helmets looking military rather than sportsy but nothing a little bit of greenstuff won't fix. Unsure at this point what to do with the rest of the bodies though but I'll come up with something - I actually think they'll be the 'right' scale for humans when the new Old World comes about... :unsure:

Anyways, I digresss, these are looking awesome, great colours so far and I'm looking forward to seeing what comes next! :::cheers:::

Yeah, the scale has thrown me off. I am really bothered when there is a noticeable difference in model sizes when it comes to humans, elves etc. I don't mind it for the gobbos or skaven or any of the more wacky races. That being said the bits are wonderful and turning Griff into a BSB sounds like a great idea!

Offline The Black Knight

• Members
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2021, 12:55:58 AM »
Another lad done - this time a stalwart Ostlander.

[

Excuse the a) overall dustiness of the mini (he was just pulled out of the carrying case when the picture was taken) and the overall meh-ness of the picture itself. I need to get a light tent or sth.

Anyways, to be fair he was the original model I've painted for the team, but I needed to touch him up a bit first. I've also done a test base. I will need to get some small flowers onto it and then it'll be ok I reckon.

Offline Jmash

• Members
  • Lancashire, UK
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2021, 09:59:18 PM »
Another excellent job there my man :::cheers:::

Out of interest, how are you doing the black and what base are you using for the contrast paints you mentioned?

I've been messing with them for the first time this weekend so it's interesting to see the finished results other people are getting. Your brown boots for example are looking great whereas brown was a bit of a flop for me today... :dry:

Offline Perambulator

• Global Moderator
  • Members
  • Much Less Dense Than Other Lawyers!
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2021, 02:20:17 PM »
Stalwart, indeed! I love the lines and detailing on this. Nicely done!  :eusa_clap: :::cheers:::
Quote from: Johan Willhelm
Quote from: Dendo Star
Muppets do not have Hatred!
I bet "Animal" has Frenzy . . .

Offline The Black Knight

• Members
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2021, 01:33:11 PM »
Another excellent job there my man :::cheers:::

Out of interest, how are you doing the black and what base are you using for the contrast paints you mentioned?

I've been messing with them for the first time this weekend so it's interesting to see the finished results other people are getting. Your brown boots for example are looking great whereas brown was a bit of a flop for me today... :dry:

Thanks a lot!

The black is done in the traditional way - a black basecoat and grey highlights. Perhaps I wasn't precise enough, not all of the colours are done with contrasts and even if something is, I always follow the contrast layer with a highlight. I find that contrasts alone produce this overly messy look, which I am not fond of   :closed-eyes:. The trick is to find the right colour for the highlights!

I start with a grey seer primer, then I add the contrasts to the areas which I think would benefit from them. In this particular model only the reds, whites and browns (apart from the hat) were done with contrast paints. I always shake the pot as much as I can and I always use a single layer of paint. The rest is a more traditional approach of a basecoat+ wash + highlight method. I find painting an entire model with contrasts to be pretty stressfull and tedious, as you are constantly fixing areas where the paints spill over. You also have to be almost obsessively neat. This defies the purpose of a super fast painting method to me.

Edit:

Thank you too Perambulator! Working on a Middenlander next.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2021, 01:36:00 PM by The Black Knight »

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
  • Happy Spring! : )
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2021, 02:39:28 PM »
Interesting on the contrast paints.  I had seen a guy use them fairly effectively on some historical figures, and was considering giving them a go for some specific sets of figures I have.  You've got me wondering if this is really a good idea or not.
"Not all who wander are lost ... " Tolkien

"... my old suggestion is forget it, take two aspirins and go paint" steveb

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

"Until death it is all life." Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra

Offline Jmash

• Members
  • Lancashire, UK
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2021, 09:50:01 PM »
...I find that contrasts alone produce this overly messy look, which I am not fond of   :closed-eyes:. The trick is to find the right colour for the highlights!

I start with a grey seer primer, then I add the contrasts to the areas which I think would benefit from them. In this particular model only the reds, whites and browns (apart from the hat) were done with contrast paints. I always shake the pot as much as I can and I always use a single layer of paint. The rest is a more traditional approach of a basecoat+ wash + highlight method. I find painting an entire model with contrasts to be pretty stressfull and tedious, as you are constantly fixing areas where the paints spill over. You also have to be almost obsessively neat. This defies the purpose of a super fast painting method to me...

Yeah I have to admit I wasn't 100% sold on them following my tests this weekend. I think I was expecting a miracle but my results just seem to be roughly the same as having a standard base + shade method, and the standard colours have a far greater range of colours so I'm still on the fence at the moment. I'm tempted to keep trying with the black and might buy the white to give that a go, they are always tricky...

I guess maybe they'll work well for churning out huge numbers of soldiers with very little detail - such as Imperial Guard, but for anything needing a bit more finesse they'll just be a hassle? :dry:

Anyhu, looking forward to seeing the next team member out of the tunnel!

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2021, 11:44:30 PM »
I've seen some other folks using them in certain  situations, yet not in others.  So far that seems to be the way they could work best.

However, perhaps it can be said that regular paints work in almost all situations.

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

Offline The Black Knight

• Members
« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2021, 11:27:09 PM »
Huh, now I feel I've made you think like they are useless. I will need to elaborate!

I think they are a great tool to speed things up when used in moderation. Normally to do a red or white like that I would go through the following process: basecoat (2 layers), apply wash, re-apply basecoat, and then two to three highlights. That's my go-to method for tabletop dudes. With contrasts it's: contrast, then 2-3 highlights. Suddenly I can cut out the three initial steps, which is a real game-changer, when it comes to speed. Contrasts are also really good when attempting to achieve vivid colours. Grey-seer works like a charm here, as it really makes the colours pop. Contrast paints look very bright and charming when highlighted. Try looking up the 'Eavy Contrast series by Juan Hidalgo on youtube, he really nails this down. I am no near his level of skill of course, but the general principles he shows are solid in my opinion.

@Jmash - I suggest you keep trying them out a bit more. I wasn't sold on them at the beginning also, they take a bit of practice to get used to. If you feel they are coming on a bit too strong and the recess shading effect isn't very pronounced, perhaps try thinning them down a bit with contrast medium. It can help. Another thing is not to think about them as a 'magical painting sauce' that one just slaps on and they do all the work. That's how I've used them at the beginning and was also disappointed. But then I started to work the paint with a bit more control, push it around, use it to shade and then I've had much better results. I hope you can make some use of them.

Offline Jmash

• Members
  • Lancashire, UK
« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2021, 07:31:49 PM »
@Jmash - I suggest you keep trying them out a bit more. I wasn't sold on them at the beginning also, they take a bit of practice to get used to. If you feel they are coming on a bit too strong and the recess shading effect isn't very pronounced, perhaps try thinning them down a bit with contrast medium. It can help. Another thing is not to think about them as a 'magical painting sauce' that one just slaps on and they do all the work. That's how I've used them at the beginning and was also disappointed. But then I started to work the paint with a bit more control, push it around, use it to shade and then I've had much better results. I hope you can make some use of them.

I will continue to experiment, I'm not writing them off straight away, just like anything new they'll take some getting used to and working out where their strengths are in the wider scheme.

How's progress on your Middenlander coming along? :biggriin:

Offline The Black Knight

• Members
« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2021, 09:22:31 AM »
I got a bit distracted with my undead army I've am preparing for an event this weekend. But here he is:

The ultramarines blue contrast was a bit of let down. The colour you see here was mostly repainted, as originally it was much less vibrant and it lacked that ultramarine tone. So far I seem to like blood angels red and wyldwood the most, closely followed by apothecary white.

Next stop - Altdorf itself!

Offline HertugenAfHest

• Members
« Reply #14 on: December 13, 2021, 12:50:42 PM »
Really nice work, they look amazing!  :::cheers:::
I've never sold a mini that I didn't regret selling later. Best advice: keep them!

Offline The Black Knight

• Members
« Reply #15 on: January 08, 2022, 12:38:13 PM »
@HertugenAfHest Cheers man!

Well, a bit late and with an unfinished base, but here comes my blitzer:

This one was a lot of fun to paint! Altdorf colours are so striking. I think I will have to do my other blitzer with municipal colours instead of provincial ones to match. Perhaps Bogenhafen? Or maybe Marienburg? We shall see.

Meanwhile, the league is on and I am happy to report that the imperials have won their first two games against Black Orcs and Wood Elves. Huzzah! Unfortunately, some injuries have been thrown around (the freshly painted blitzer losing a point of armour  :dry:). The next game is scheduled in a week or so, I hope I can complete at least two more players till then (both started). Stay tuned....

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #16 on: January 08, 2022, 03:32:48 PM »
Excellent! :icon_biggrin: :icon_cool: :eusa_clap: :::cheers:::

Offline Tyvw

• Members
« Reply #17 on: January 08, 2022, 04:08:35 PM »
Very Nice! I haven't payed a lot of attention to the Bloodbowl releases but these are some great minis, and beautifully painted.

Offline Jmash

• Members
  • Lancashire, UK
« Reply #18 on: January 09, 2022, 10:05:13 PM »
Fantastic work on these again, really enjoying seeing your latest additions! :eusa_clap:

Offline Sharkbelly

• Members
« Reply #19 on: January 11, 2022, 02:56:26 AM »
Fantastic! The colors really pop, and the shading and highlighting look professional!  :::cheers:::

Offline The Black Knight

• Members
« Reply #20 on: January 17, 2022, 11:56:23 AM »
Guys, thanks for all the comments. I really do not feel I deserve that much praise! You do however inspire me to churn more of these out no doubt  :icon_mrgreen:.

Here is a freshly finished new lad. The lumberjack style beard pushed me towards Talebcland's colour scheme  :icon_wink:.

OMG I am completely in love with the yellow contrast paint (iyanden yellow to be precise)! This was done with the absolute minimum effort on my part. Slap the contrast on, two highlights, done. In comparison with the usual horror that painting smooth yellow was, this is a real game-changer. I used to do my empire in yellows and reds as a kid. Perhaps once I get to remodeling my empire force, I will adopt this scheme again, as it wouldn't be such a chore. Hope you like him and be prepared for some more yellow in the upcoming week!
« Last Edit: January 17, 2022, 11:59:51 AM by The Black Knight »

Offline Tyvw

• Members
« Reply #21 on: January 17, 2022, 01:17:54 PM »
He looks good

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #22 on: January 17, 2022, 01:24:13 PM »
The face is very good, congrats! :icon_cool: :eusa_clap: :::cheers:::

Offline Jmash

• Members
  • Lancashire, UK
« Reply #23 on: January 17, 2022, 09:36:13 PM »
Excellent work again my friend - that yellow is indeed something to behold :eusa_clap:

Offline Rowsdower

• Members
  • Is there beer on the sun?
    • Jesse Cowled
« Reply #24 on: January 20, 2022, 01:07:58 PM »
Great job