home

Author Topic: Other Manufacturers  (Read 668541 times)

Offline Uryens de Crux

• Members
Re: Other Manufacturers
« Reply #925 on: December 23, 2011, 09:40:24 AM »
Tell you what, if you set the test, I'll sit it... :biggriin:
We go to gain a little patch of ground that hath in it no profit but the name.
The Free Company of Solland

The Barony of Wusterburg

Offline Midaski

• Sunny Sussex, England
  • Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #926 on: December 23, 2011, 11:03:23 AM »
Tell you what, if you set the test, I'll sit it... :biggriin:

I'm glad I wasn't drunk when I tired to read that .......................  :engel:

Actually I am really looking forward to next year ................. WK's Dwarfs and Gobbo bodies on order  ........ those Teutonic Knights, .................... and Crusader have some new metal 'crusader' minis ............. Conquest Games Norman Infantry ......................... Wargames Factory Samurai, Ashigaru, and Cavalry ................ the SAGA expansion ....................... Lead Adventures landsknechts ......................Salute ......................  the Eurobash .........

Damn why can't Christmas be over with already .....................  :engel:

« Last Edit: December 23, 2011, 11:09:57 AM by Midaski »
Quote from: Gneisenau
Metal to Finecast - It is mostly a swap of medium. 

You mean they will be using Ouija boards instead of Tarot cards for their business plans from now on?

Offline Justnorth

• Members
« Reply #927 on: December 25, 2011, 10:58:52 AM »
Won't be long before 'Salute' is on us again.
GW can pucker their skanky lips and suck my arse.

He's French. Since when do his plans have to be feasible?

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
  • Happy Spring! : )
« Reply #928 on: December 25, 2011, 02:43:14 PM »
It's not confirmed but it's a fairly solid rumor that we're after Vampire counts.  So I figure if VC are in Jan/Feb then empire could well be in mar/april.  Anyway I'm kind of just hoping.
This probably isn't the thread for this, but what happened to redoing Brets?
"Not all who wander are lost ... " Tolkien

"... my old suggestion is forget it, take two aspirins and go paint" steveb

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

"Until death it is all life." Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra

Offline Sir Bedevere the Wise

• Members
« Reply #929 on: December 25, 2011, 08:57:37 PM »
Hello gentlemen.

I would like to pop in from the real life to bring your attention to cooperation between Warlord games, Empress miniatures and 4ground designs. These companies produced rather interesting sets concerning Anglo Zulu war. Couple of months ago, a new whole-diorama-in-a-box was announced depicting the defence of Rorke's Drift, containg two wooden models of buildings, lots of resin barricades and some British soldiers and Zulu warriors.
http://store.warlordgames.com/rorkes-drift-7561-p.asp
Using my knowledge of Santas suspicious interest in little children, basic photoshopping skills and shameless blackmail (and paying half of the cost) I have received the Horns of the Buffalo set for Christmas. If anyone is interested, I will post pictures of sprues of both main contestants.

Imperial Redcoats

and Zulu impis

I will hapily provide other feedback if anyone is interested (though I am afraid I will not glue and paint it in near future. I mean the whole package weights slightly more than 7 kg. It is a lot of models)

Regards,

Bedevere
It took God six days to create the Earth, and Monty Python just 90 minutes to screw it up.

Offline Silver Wolf

• Members
  • I see lead people.
« Reply #930 on: December 25, 2011, 10:18:14 PM »
Hi people!
I have a question and it might be a bit off topic, but it's still close enough...

The question is...
Are there any good (and cheaper) alternatives for citadel static grass?
"Watch the skies, traveler."
Check out my wargaming blog - The Forge of War

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Members
  • i'm a mercenary doom bringer
« Reply #931 on: December 25, 2011, 11:45:11 PM »
Woodland Scenics

Offline patsy02

• Members
  • Moderator in charge of Gender Equality (Honorary)
« Reply #932 on: December 26, 2011, 11:00:10 PM »
They are coincidentally also a cheaper alternative to Citadel Everything Else.
I agree with the inhumane treatment of animals.

Offline Timbor

• Members
« Reply #933 on: December 29, 2011, 02:35:06 AM »
I was considering picking up the foundry Condottiere book while it is half price before their clearance sale ends on Jan 3.

Does anyone know if its a standalone rulebook, or will I need another ruleset if I am to play games from it?

http://wargamesfoundry.com/books/wargames_rule_book/any/any/condottiere_the_dogs_of_war_fp024/?sector_id=
If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason. - J.H.

Paint Log: link  Blog: My Life in Millimetres

Offline White Knight

• Members
« Reply #934 on: December 29, 2011, 09:47:10 AM »
It's a standalone book, but it's not so well edited and it features a lot of their newer (crappy) figures which kind of ruins it for me as they make me cringe when I look at them and they're on almost every page.

Offline Midaski

• Sunny Sussex, England
  • Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #935 on: December 29, 2011, 11:47:01 AM »
I must admit I bought the Compendium, and the Dallimore Painting (& Modelling) Books in their one-day-only sales before Christmas, when they were below half price and for what I paid they're ok.
The Compendium has some interesting stuff for £6.00  :biggriin:

I quite like the painting books as, although I will not be buying the "sets of 3" paints, there are a lot of stage by stage large pictures that show good details.

I have not been tempted by any of the Condottiere stuff yet and doubt I will be - the TAG Italian stuff looks much better IMO.

You mean they will be using Ouija boards instead of Tarot cards for their business plans from now on?

Offline Timbor

• Members
« Reply #936 on: December 29, 2011, 12:01:15 PM »
I was thinking of giving a few of their palettes a try, mainly some of the different flesh tones.  I seem to get pretty good triads from GW colours.  I too got the compendium and painting books  :blush:

Is the background information useful in the condottiere book?  I dont want any of the models, but I thought it might be of use for empire/DoW background ideas and such.  Is it worth the $25 at half price?
If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason. - J.H.

Offline rufus sparkfire

• The Old Ones
  • Members
« Reply #937 on: December 29, 2011, 12:07:11 PM »
I'd have thought you'd do better with an Osprey book.
Hey, I could still beat up a woman!
If I wanted to.

Offline Justnorth

• Members
« Reply #938 on: December 30, 2011, 04:45:14 PM »
Osprey are fabulous, but... you would need  a few of them and they are for keeps, because they are not cheap. For quality though, unsurpassed...

Offline MiB

• Members
« Reply #939 on: December 30, 2011, 06:11:55 PM »

Is the background information useful in the condottiere book?  I dont want any of the models, but I thought it might be of use for empire/DoW background ideas and such.  Is it worth the $25 at half price?

*pimps the Tilea project, link in sig*  :biggriin:

Offline Timbor

• Members
« Reply #940 on: December 30, 2011, 07:10:54 PM »

*pimps the Tilea project, link in sig*  :biggriin:

Your link is broken... domain expired  :engel:

The Osprey books are pretty cool.  I managed to download a large amount of them a while ago, had a perusal through some...  not enough time to read them all.  If anyone is interested in any of them...  :icon_lol:

Offline Darknight

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
  • Dipped in Magic, Clothed in Science
« Reply #941 on: December 30, 2011, 08:39:26 PM »
Link works for me.
Completed Projects | History of Ophelia VII

Quote from: PhillyT
Everyone finds their balance between satisfaction and obsession.

Offline Midaski

• Sunny Sussex, England
  • Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #942 on: December 30, 2011, 10:10:15 PM »
More info on ............

This set will allow you to build 12 knights and their horses. Here is the details:

Horses - Horse bodies are split in two parts. There are two different left sides and two different right sides that are totally mixable with each other to obtain different poses. Three different heads and two tails, compatible with every horse body version, complete the horse sections. Without considering the tails, you'll be able to build 12 totally different horses.

Knight Heads - 10 different heads in two sections for a total of 20 heads in the set, of which 12 are with "decorated helmets" and 8 "not decorated". Some of the "decorated helmets" types were sculpted with easy cut off option in mind for people wanting to build only not "decorated" ones.

Knight Bodies and Cloaks - 4 different knight bodies and 4 different cloaks for a total of 12 bodies and cloaks in the set. Cloaks are not attached to the bodies, so you can build knights without them too.

Weapons - 4 different right arms armed with spears, 2 with swords, 1 axe, 1 mace and 1 morning star. Three weapon sections for a total of 12 spears, 6 swords, 3 axes, 3 maces and 3 morning star in the set.

Shields - 3 different heater shields with left arms attached and 3 different heater shields with left arms not attached. There are three shield sections for a total of 18 heater shields in the box.

Various - Cross standard, right arm with a horn (musician), 4 different sculpted standards/flags and several bits of rectangular plate pieces as a reinforced armour option to shoulders.

Looks like the UK retail will be £20.00

Offline Darknight

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
  • Dipped in Magic, Clothed in Science
« Reply #943 on: December 30, 2011, 11:41:16 PM »
Looks like a very good alternative for Bretonnians.
Completed Projects | History of Ophelia VII

Quote from: PhillyT
Everyone finds their balance between satisfaction and obsession.

Offline towishimp

• Members
« Reply #944 on: December 30, 2011, 11:55:07 PM »
I'm thinking of using them as cavaliers in my Dogs of War army, representing knights from the border princes area, or maybe down-on-their-luck Brettonian knights.  They look really nice, and pretty dang good price point.
One cannot be deeply responsive to the world without being saddened very often. -- Erich Fromm

Offline Timbor

• Members
« Reply #945 on: December 31, 2011, 03:50:37 AM »
Nice looking knights!  Any idea on a release date?

I would probably wait for the perry knights to be released though  :smile2:

Offline Justnorth

• Members
« Reply #946 on: December 31, 2011, 09:22:08 AM »
From the picture it looks like you can make two chaos knights and two Bretonnian knights, with that kind of variation the only hindrance in getting good sales will be the retail price.

Offline Midaski

• Sunny Sussex, England
  • Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #947 on: December 31, 2011, 10:57:08 AM »
You get 3 sprues per box JN - so 12 knights for your £20.00 and that may be 10% lower from some of the distributors.
12 seems to be the common number in non-GW plastic cavalry and Warlord Games are at £18.00 a box, along with Conquest Games Normans, and Wargames Factory at £16.50 currently, so the price has probably been set to be maintained for all of 2012.

They are expected to be in the UK end of January - you could pre-order from Italy, but ...................... it's Italy.  :engel:

I too am waiting for the Perry WotR ones, but I suspect they will have a different 'feel/look' so there will be room for both - probably   :closed-eyes:

Hell who am I kidding - we all know I will get both  :engel:

« Last Edit: December 31, 2011, 10:59:23 AM by Midaski »

Offline Fandir Nightshade

• Members
« Reply #948 on: December 31, 2011, 03:50:11 PM »
Bestest halfling wizard ever

Offline Justnorth

• Members
« Reply #949 on: December 31, 2011, 04:00:50 PM »
Maybe for Dystopian Wars and the Steam Punk period of Victorian times but not for the medieval period I'm afraid.
Nice sculpting though.