home

Author Topic: Pandemonium Multi-PLog (update: out)  (Read 295214 times)

Offline Shadespyre

• Members
Re: Pandemonium Multi-PLog (Mad cows...)
« Reply #875 on: March 12, 2017, 10:27:19 AM »
Moooooo?

I seem to remember these models being launched to a poor reception from the Beastmen community. The musculature is a bit crazy, and people find them hard to paint "realistically". I think these are rather good though, with a limited but bold colour palette. I love the contrast of the banner.

I assume the main limitation on commission work is time, the same as with all your projects? I'd also find it hard to paint minis I don't like (although - there are minis I do like which are still horrid to paint...)

Offline Warlord

• Global Moderator
  • Members
  • Sydney, Australia
« Reply #876 on: March 12, 2017, 10:29:48 PM »
You did a good job of them, for what they are.
I was one of those people disappointed in them. I expected them to be hairy rather than fleshy, and i expected hooves rather than feet. I also didnt expect them to be $73 AUD for a box of 3, when i could buy a box of ogre bulls for $50. Those 3 things made me hate them.
Quote from: Gneisenau
I hate people who don't paint their armies, hate them with all my guts. Beats me how they value other things over painting, like eating or brushing teeth.

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Members
  • i'm a mercenary doom bringer
« Reply #877 on: March 13, 2017, 02:43:37 AM »
Yeah, there's a number of reasons I don't care for the figures -- and I agree with those mentioned. The muscles and poses are the big ones. They also don't rank up. Long ago I got used to painting figures I didn't personally like. It's certainly less interesting, but not a real problem. Mostly it's a matter of limited time. I'm still going to do a few things -- I've got a few odds and ends to finish/add to previous army commissions, for example. But I'm going to try spending most of my time on my own projects for a while.

Speaking of which...

The Month of Marsh is upon us! Been busy with other things, so just finally squeezed in a little time this weekend to finish up these eight figures I had started last summer. Converted from Citadel plastic savage orcs, using my resin Fomorian heads.

They will serve as lesser Fomorian warriors, or regular Fimm for WFB.

Offline steveb

• Members
Re: Pandemonium Multi-PLog (Mad cows and the Month of Marsh)
« Reply #878 on: March 13, 2017, 03:55:30 AM »
wonderful fimir conversions! 5* rating    :::cheers:::  steveb

Online GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
  • Happy Spring! : )
« Reply #879 on: March 13, 2017, 04:04:49 AM »
I like the marsh bases as well! :eusa_clap: :::cheers:::
"Not all who wander are lost ... " Tolkien

"... my old suggestion is forget it, take two aspirins and go paint" steveb

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

"Until death it is all life." Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra

Offline Warlord

• Global Moderator
  • Members
  • Sydney, Australia
« Reply #881 on: March 13, 2017, 10:53:19 PM »
I really love these. Always have. Paintjob makes it right.
I hate people who don't paint their armies, hate them with all my guts. Beats me how they value other things over painting, like eating or brushing teeth.

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Members
« Reply #882 on: March 18, 2017, 05:53:23 AM »

Thanks!!  :::cheers:::

Does it count as a St. Patrick's day thing to work on miniatures inspired by Irish myth?

I finished the the Troll Outpost swamp mercenary/Fomorian/Fimir.

I've finished the sculpting work on the Reaper orc conversion. I happened to have one of my (very) few resin cast tails available, so I used that. The foot looks big in the photo, but I swear, it's not that far out of proportion IRL! Also prepped the four classic Citadel Fimir Fianna/Nobles. The guy on the left was originally mine back in the day, but had been converted to a champion of Slaanesh in the 3rd ed. RoC days, and had wings and a bright paintjob. At some point I gave it to a friend who was collecting Fimir because I figured that was a better use for it, and eventually it (along with the rest of his small but almost complete Fimir collection) made it's way back to me last year.

So that's what I will probably be working on next for the Month of Marsh!

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Members
« Reply #883 on: March 26, 2017, 02:05:10 PM »
This may be the end of what I can get done for the Month of Marsh... but we'll see. Maybe one last push still to come!  I have BIG plans for April, once again!  ;)

I also based up the old Ral Partha figure I used for my rust tutorial. Sir Rusty is based on a 40x40 base, due to his wide stance.

Offline King

• Members
  • Island-fortress of Malta
« Reply #884 on: March 26, 2017, 05:46:09 PM »
Very nice.  023 can you give me a breakdown of the colors you used for your fimir flesh please as I like the tone and would like to imitate it for the few fimir I got?
We cannot direct the wind, but we can adjust our sails....

Link to my blog http://www.warhammer-empire.com/theforum/index.php?topic=23114.0

Offline scrubber

• Members
Re: Pandemonium Multi-PLog (Fimir & Sir Rusty)
« Reply #885 on: March 26, 2017, 09:56:42 PM »
Those are very cool conversions. Is the head made from scratch or did you start off from something ?

Offline Shadespyre

• Members
« Reply #886 on: March 26, 2017, 11:33:25 PM »
Ooh, more painted Fimir! Still in love with these guys, you've got a nice band of them together, now.  :eusa_clap:

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Members
« Reply #887 on: March 28, 2017, 02:27:31 AM »
Very nice.  023 can you give me a breakdown of the colors you used for your fimir flesh please as I like the tone and would like to imitate it for the few fimir I got?

I've been using a variety of different paints and some acrylic ink washes, and haven't been consistent. In fact, I'm still trying to figure out how I painted the first few figure (last year) so I can reproduce those colors myself! I will take a pic of all the paints & inks I've been using lately, if that helps.

Those are very cool conversions. Is the head made from scratch or did you start off from something ?

Sculpted from scratch. I cast a bunch in resin so I don't have to sculpt each time. I still do a bit of cleanup and putty around the neck on each one, though that's pretty easy.

I just started two heads for the big guy (going to sculpt two, then use whichever turns out better.) I start with a bit of wire, with the end curled to a tight "eye" so the putty doesn't slide off or rotate. Then a tiny ball or cone of putty to start things off. After that's cured, I bulk it up a bit and create a socket for the eye.

After this I will add an eyeball. Then I will do the surface flesh, eyelids, etc. in a couple of stages. Then a couple more stages of details for the mouth, teeth, etc.

This is a pic of the first "prototype" figure I did, to see how the idea would turn out. Sculpted bits are grey, mini is white, and the weapon was built with white plastic sheet & tube (and a tiny bit of putty.)

Ooh, more painted Fimir! Still in love with these guys, you've got a nice band of them together, now.  :eusa_clap:

Group army (or at least what I've done so far) photo coming soon!  :::cheers:::
« Last Edit: March 28, 2017, 02:31:57 AM by ZeroTwentythree »

Offline Artobans Ghost

• Bar Brawlers
  • Members
« Reply #888 on: March 28, 2017, 12:14:26 PM »
Bloody incredible! 👆
Ingenious work. Maybe you should do a kickstarter 023.
Mathi Alfblut Feb 4,2017 Simple, You gut the bastard with your sword, the viking way.
Questions?

GP Jan 4, 2020
Yes, even W:AoS.

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Members
Re: Pandemonium Multi-PLog (Trois)
« Reply #889 on: March 31, 2017, 04:40:30 AM »
Haha. Well, I would need something worth kickstarting first.  :wink:

While waiting for the last Month of Marsh project to set up, I worked on this, which ended up more interesting (if somewhat difficult to photograph.) I've got a pretty well outlined story in my head about these...

"Trois"

The hobbit on the left is from Reaper, the two on the right are from Westfalia. The paint on the mage was semi inspired by Dave Andrews Bretonnian mage from the Warhammer Armies (3rd ed) book. (Thus, the bleu cloak.)  :wink:
« Last Edit: March 31, 2017, 10:31:45 AM by ZeroTwentythree »

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Members
« Reply #890 on: April 03, 2017, 12:23:10 AM »
Since I had a few requests for a group photo of the warband so far...

Description and plans for expansion at... http://www.zerotwentythree.com/2017/04/fomorian-warband.html

Offline Zygmund

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
    • https://www.facebook.com/groups/288460758594334
« Reply #891 on: April 03, 2017, 06:28:17 AM »
Second breakfast, a cup of coffee in my hand, and browsing through the pleasant figures here and in the blog.  :::cheers:::

-Z
Live in peace and prosper.

Offline Warlord

• Global Moderator
  • Members
  • Sydney, Australia
« Reply #892 on: April 04, 2017, 03:08:50 PM »
I think the kickstarter could be heads and tails for savage orcs...

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Members
« Reply #893 on: April 06, 2017, 05:08:58 PM »
I would need to make some vast improvements in the quality of both the original sculpts and the resin castings.

I'm on a quest for half-orcs. I want them as mercenaries for various factions. The idea being they are effective, or at least adequate, but sort of a last-choice option. Sort of like employing pirates, bandits, etc. I've got some generally olsdschool aesthetics in mind.

Yesterday, I got a small order of one of the ranges I've thought worth trying. Black Tree's "Orcs of the Crimson Wave." https://eoeorbis.com/collections/fantasy/range_orcs-and-goblins?page=3

I also just discover some orcs from Scotia-Grendel. http://www.scotiagrendel.com/Products/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=221_222_46_203_204 I only care for the orcs & greater orcs.

Might be worth mixing in some humans, to, for those whose features favor that portion of their heritage. Or just human outsiders who have found common cause with the half-orcs. So I'd like to find some rough looking rabble, bandits, etc. too.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2017, 05:15:28 PM by ZeroTwentythree »

Offline Midaski

• Sunny Sussex, England
  • Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #894 on: April 06, 2017, 07:49:47 PM »
I was going to suggest the Kev Adams mercenary orcs, but maybe they're a bit posh ?
Metal to Finecast - It is mostly a swap of medium. 

You mean they will be using Ouija boards instead of Tarot cards for their business plans from now on?

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Members
« Reply #895 on: April 06, 2017, 09:32:17 PM »
Too orc-y. I want a look that's closer to human for rhe half-orcs.

Offline Midaski

• Sunny Sussex, England
  • Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #896 on: April 07, 2017, 07:16:33 AM »
Metal to Finecast - It is mostly a swap of medium. 

You mean they will be using Ouija boards instead of Tarot cards for their business plans from now on?

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Members
Re: Pandemonium Multi-PLog (Big April)
« Reply #897 on: April 11, 2017, 03:34:54 AM »
Will look into those, thanks!

My Big April challenge/theme is going slow. But I got a little work done...

Offline steveb

• Members
Re: Pandemonium Multi-PLog (Big April)
« Reply #898 on: April 11, 2017, 04:43:22 AM »
is the unassembled resin in the bag a forge world bone grinder?  steveb  oh...the giants look lovely, in a big ugly galoot sort of way.

Offline Zygmund

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
    • https://www.facebook.com/groups/288460758594334
« Reply #899 on: April 11, 2017, 06:40:24 AM »
I'm on a quest for half-orcs. I want them as mercenaries for various factions. The idea being they are effective, or at least adequate, but sort of a last-choice option. Sort of like employing pirates, bandits, etc. I've got some generally olsdschool aesthetics in mind.

Old Grenadier had some, and at least Mirliton still sells them:
http://www.mirliton.it/index.php?cName=fantasy-2528mm-half-orc

These are better sculpts than some others in the Grenadier Fantasy Warrior line. They might still be a bit small, more in the 25mm or 28mm 'real scale' line. I can do a comparison photo, if you think you're interested.

-Z
Live in peace and prosper.