home

Author Topic: WE conversion with an empire twist  (Read 1918 times)

Offline faeg nad teli

• Members
WE conversion with an empire twist
« on: April 01, 2007, 10:42:29 PM »
I know I'm walking on the very edge of this forum by asking questions about a WE conversion, so I'll start and do the twist part.

I think the model I used is the best you can get for your Karl Franz's imperial dragon, this is the old forest dragon without the spites and vines. I think it beats the high and dark elven cousin in looks, the zombie dragon has potential, but it will require a lot of sculpting to make it imperial looking (the pose is wounderfull though)
These really are the dragons you can choose, additionally you could try a wyvern but well, it's a wyvern ^_~. Or galrauch but that's, eeuhh, warped really. Or the old chaos variant, but that is once more the plastic with a different head.

Quite recently I saw the new LotR dragon and I must say that this is also a great model for an imperial dragon, the real downside is fitting it on a base though.
Oh, and to complete the list I must give you the greatest choice (though definitely not the most practical) and off course it's chaos brother.

Wrapping it up I think that the LotR and forgeworld dragons would be the best choices if you want to build the dragon for looking at. And the old forrest dragon or, for the more talented sculptor, the zombie dragon if you plan on using him in battle on a more regular basis.

So enough of the side talk (to me), the following is the real reason why I started the topic:
I started this project 2 years ago, but it was shelved when the Cult of Ulric list got out, by then I had the dragon assembled and converted (mainly the shoulder part where I added pointy scales to substitute the squares) and applied a base colour to most regions.

As soon as I saw the spellsingers on line I knew I had to put that one on my forest dragon and now I'm finally making some progress with the conversion (by starting it ^_~)
Right now I still need to sculpt the right leg, the details of his loincloth, finish his quiver/bowcase (I'm using an extended HE one with a WE bow) with details and finally fold a part of the cloth he's sitting on backwards over the weapons.

This is all just a bit more work, the chain however gives me some trouble. First, I have two sizes, the smaller chain fits better with the elf but looks a bit like a toy for the dragon. The bigger one might be a bit much for the elf though. I do prefer the larger one myself.
The biggest problem however is attaching the chain to the dragon, I have several options:
- wrap it round the horns as in the pics, with the additional advantage that I can dismount the elf should he be killed.
- pierce the chain in his mouth, this is something better suited to chaos and greenskins I think
- create a (how do you call the thing you put in a horses mouth to steer the damn beast?).... I'm actually not really sure about this one.

So do you think you could give me some help with the chain part?
And if not, I hope the empire part was usefull to you.

Offline CM Dante

• Members
Re: WE conversion with an empire twist
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2007, 11:09:14 PM »
I'm not sure if the forum rules changed in the time while I was away but in my mind this is an Empire only forum and I prefer it that way since I don't have to trawl through countless other non-empire posts to find what I want to see as I have to on other sites. There are plenty of Wood Elf sites around, as well as other non-specific army sites where you could have posted this and trying to provide a little info about potential models for use in a KF conversion doesn't justify posting and asking for comments on a mini completely unrelated to this (other than being a dragon) IMHO.

Also the fact you have posted this (almost) exact same post twice, with different names, is totally unnecessary!

If the posting rules have indeed changed then I'm sorry to see this since the stringent moderation of this site is one of the reasons it is of such a high quality as a resource for everything and anything EMPIRE related.

Cheers,

Dante
« Last Edit: April 01, 2007, 11:11:51 PM by CM Dante »

Offline imperialforge

• The Old Ones
  • Members
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2007, 01:16:34 AM »
The posting rules have not changed. This is an Empire forum. Take this elsewhere. What annoys people who put in hard work into this Forum more that posting off-topic, is posting off-topic twice. The other thread was deleted.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2007, 01:22:28 AM by imperialforge »

Offline Midaski

• Sunny Sussex, England
  • Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2007, 08:32:39 AM »
Hey guys - my fault :icon_redface:

faeg nad teli pm'd me and asked if it was ok for the CT and I suggested he put it in the Brush and Palette.

He's produced some pretty good Empire stuff in the past and we did discuss the question of what dragon KF would use.

Quote from: Gneisenau
Metal to Finecast - It is mostly a swap of medium. 

You mean they will be using Ouija boards instead of Tarot cards for their business plans from now on?

Offline Captain Tineal

• Members
  • You will join me or die! Could you do any less?
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2007, 03:22:59 PM »
I HATE the GW dragons... they look so flimsy.

Reaper has a good selection of Dragons.

That said, I think reingns on a dragon are more to keep the rider from falling off than controlling it, so a small chain should be just fine.  Maybe make a greenstuff ring around the horns that the chain attaches to?
I don't know what a pisolires is but it sounds like a musical instrument you play with urine...

Offline BAWTRM

• Members
  • The Netherlands
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2007, 06:53:25 AM »
I'm a bit worried about those reigns actually. Right now the reigns are quite taut, but the dragon's neck is tugged backwards.

In other words, any snapping motion to the front will have the rider flying through the air and landing somewhere in front of the dragon in the muck.
"...granted it isn't as retarded as having a lady popping out of your head holding a cup while humping a boar with a sword through its back, but there can only be one Brettonia."

PhillyT

Offline faeg nad teli

• Members
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2007, 01:46:03 PM »
Thanks for the clarification midaski.

Right now the reigns are quite taut, but the dragon's neck is tugged backwards.
Then it's a good thing that the reigns aren't clued yet and still 2m in length ^_^