home

Author Topic: Flaggelants  (Read 1134 times)

Offline Michael Stockin

• Members
Flaggelants
« on: February 22, 2021, 02:52:49 PM »
« Last Edit: November 21, 2021, 07:08:57 PM by Michael Stockin »
So long and thanks for all the fish.

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
  • Happy Spring! : )
Re: Flaggelants
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2021, 02:55:03 PM »
My sense is a person can frame their unit's fluff as desired, and pick whatever colors you'd enjoy.
"Not all who wander are lost ... " Tolkien

"... my old suggestion is forget it, take two aspirins and go paint" steveb

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

"Until death it is all life." Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra

Offline Padre

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2021, 03:07:47 PM »
Nothing official as far as I know, but I have limited knowledge of official. I had an entire ermy of Morrite Flagallents in my Tilean campaign, the Disciplinati di Morr. I called the individual members 'dedicants' and robed them all in maroon, red and grey, symbolic of the colours of twilight (the dying of the light). I used the raven and hourglass symbols on their banners etc. See http://warhammer-empire.com/theforum/index.php?topic=46787.msg1033286#msg1033286
Photobucket has now re-destroyed my pictures, so the first half of my collected works thread is no longer working again. To see my website version of the campaign thread, with fully functioning pictures, please go to https://bigsmallworlds.com/

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2021, 03:38:00 PM »
By the way, never had a unit of these.  Considering adding one at some point.

My primary Imperial army is from Averland, and perhaps I would paint them in brown and yellow or maybe even black and yellow, to give them an Averland flavor.  If the idea of brown with yellow details is used, then I might get away with using them in other fluff situations as well.

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

Offline Michael Stockin

• Members
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2021, 03:40:11 PM »
« Last Edit: November 21, 2021, 07:08:50 PM by Michael Stockin »

Offline Michael Stockin

• Members
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2021, 03:41:02 PM »
« Last Edit: November 21, 2021, 07:08:45 PM by Michael Stockin »

Offline Zygmund

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
    • https://www.facebook.com/groups/288460758594334
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2021, 08:08:56 PM »
In the 6th ed Flagellants were ex soldiers driven mad by their experiences. They were believers in the end times - and were right, in a sense! 6th ed Flagellant sculpts have pieces of armour to show this.

3rd to 5th ed Flagellants had more of a Sigmarite undertone, and self flagellation was a big theme. The Marauder Flagellant sculpts were basically mad warrior monks, with books and blunt weapons. Close to the classic Blanche illustrations. The new plastic ones of the 7th and 8th editions seem to largely follow this idea. They focus on the madness, and this aspect was also emphasized in the later writing and rules.
http://www.solegends.com/marauder/mm65flagellants.htm

Earlier still there were the Disciples of the Red Redemption, who were the initial idea that led to the later flagellants:
http://www.solegends.com/citrr/1rr16redemption/index.htm

If you want to emphasize the monk aspect, you can paint the robes with a single colour scheme. Black, grey, white, red, whatever. Maybe a nice contrasting colour, like some medieval monastic orders did.

Madmen can wear anything, simple or extravagant. Total freedom.

If you want to emphasize the ex soldier aspect, you can paint the robes or parts of the robes to echo various provincial uniforms.

Very free, but also a great opportunity for storytelling in figure painting.

-Z
Live in peace and prosper.

Offline S.O.F

• Members
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2021, 10:35:22 PM »
Flagellants are by and large a purely Sigmarite convention. All the major gods have fanatical sects but the style of self scourging- throw themselves on the blades of their enemies types are all pretty much just Sigmar. Padre's Disciplinati di Morr, while not official, are more in keeping with the sorts of fanatics the other cults might get, no mass abandonment of normal weapons of war and the like with a touch more organization.

This is not to say that you can't have Morr Flagellants it is just that you are free to come up with whatever you like really.
Soldier of Fortune
Crazy DOW player
Rabid Mets Fan

Offline Michael Stockin

• Members
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2021, 11:33:50 PM »
« Last Edit: November 21, 2021, 07:08:38 PM by Michael Stockin »

Offline S.O.F

• Members
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2021, 03:01:55 AM »
I mean it isn't all that bad really, Morr Flagellants are the most likely other than Sigmar. Morr is a classical god, thus the Cult structure and hierarchy are out of the southern old world but he has been part of the Imperial pantheon since the beginning. It is easy for the more cultural norm of Sigmarite Flagellant form to take over a group of despondent types after say fighting with undead and set Morr as the god they look to not knowing really all that much about the Cult. Imperials are always looked on as far more bellicose in their interpretations of the Gods anyway. The other native fanatical types, Ulrican Wolfkin, are more along the lines Charles Bronson in Death Wish response to personal tragedy than method of Sigmarite Flagellants.

Soldier of Fortune
Crazy DOW player
Rabid Mets Fan

Offline Michael Stockin

• Members
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2021, 09:08:18 AM »
« Last Edit: November 21, 2021, 07:08:07 PM by Michael Stockin »

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2021, 10:19:53 AM »
There ya go.