home

Author Topic: Marienburg Army Plog  (Read 24259 times)

Offline ragentry

• Members
Marienburg Army Plog
« on: April 13, 2013, 04:09:36 PM »
I have decided to return to Empire after a few years of various other armies. I have done about half a dozen armies since my Ostermark army but want to make a really good go at some painting and fillers. I have ended up with a built and unpainted Empire army that includes almost every unit choice so I have decided to start with core.
I went for Marienburg because I wanted to do an town/city style with basing and fillers. I also figured that the colours I wanted to use would fit in. I am going for blue and orange as a base with some purple for feathers and ribbons.
These below are my first unit and still a wip. They need to movement tray finished and eyes and some details on the belts. Any comments or advice and ideas would be welcomed :smile2:

Offline Steve D

• Members
Re: Marienburg Army Plog
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2013, 05:10:35 PM »
Like the basing mate, think will look really good when all done with the movement tray. You reckon another lighter blue highlight on the feathers would help bring them out more?

Offline Darknight

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
  • Dipped in Magic, Clothed in Science
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2013, 09:14:12 PM »
Looking great! I agree that the blue feathers need something - personally, I think they look almost as if the models were painted all-blue as an initial base and then they haven't been updated; perhaps white tips or something like that?
Completed Projects | History of Ophelia VII

Quote from: PhillyT
Everyone finds their balance between satisfaction and obsession.

Offline ragentry

• Members
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2013, 10:36:31 AM »
Cheers for the comments. I will have another look at the blue...oddly it was the orange I was worried about getting right! This is the unit with its s movement tray completed. I have tried using the moulding gel to copy the bases in green stuff and add strips to the edge for a matching look. The filler is the building in th back. It will have the inside done so as to see both the inside and outside. The idea being a merchents bouse boarding himself in for a war!

Offline Steve D

• Members
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2013, 10:18:13 AM »
I like the filler and the tray fits in well too. Whats the next unit?

Offline ragentry

• Members
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2013, 12:46:04 PM »
The inside of the filler. Did not just want a block so decided to cut it so it can be seen inside. I have added wooden planks for the floor and matched this to the movement tray. I wanted to be able to take the bit off as it died so each is on its own base. The idea was the inside of a merchents house/shop boarding up due to the trouble outside!
I have to finish the merchent and base him but this is how its looking so far

Offline Zak

• Members
  • Mad Viking
    • Mad Viking
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2013, 02:22:45 PM »
nice  :::cheers:::
Yes I'm dyslexic so what

Offline ragentry

• Members
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2013, 06:47:32 PM »
Cheers.
Nearly all done now with extra details to the merchents store and eyes etc done. Just waiting on some shields because I do not feel the sprue ones are right for marienburg, to much empire references on them.
I am thinking of this for my cannon.

But is it going to look too flat? I figured it should be at the back of the board anyhow so not so bothered about the behind. I didnt see a way to use a building with it otherwise. (pointing out a door etc just looked odd). It is pretty much a display for the cannon in any case so it may sometimes have to come off to deploy but just wondering what people think?
Thanks in advance

Offline Grutch

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2013, 06:57:46 PM »
Loving this!  Love your color choices!  Cant wait to see more!

Offline Steve D

• Members
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2013, 03:35:45 PM »
I really like the idea but it will be high a flat. As you say, if at the back of the board no so much a problem but if not...

What about an overturned cart etc it is firing over? Or some kind of small market stall or vendor at the back of the cannon base?

Offline ragentry

• Members
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2013, 09:30:36 PM »
Cheers for the comments :icon_biggrin:
Decided it was too flat so want for a change of figures and a bit of fun to make it stand out.
I call this the "final exam", one of the merchents scribes running th rule over two aspiring cannon crews. complete with his marking book. I will be addi g some more details to.it and the scribe needs finished but this is how it looks so far.

The scribe is showing an "F" in his book after one crew member has knocked cannon balls on the other foot while loading!

Any comments welcome!

Offline DerBaron

• Members
« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2013, 04:34:11 AM »
I like how you've painted the chassis of the cannon, it really underlines your colour theme, which is also great btw :) And the scribe is a nice addition to a canon crew :)

Offline Shadowwolf

• Members
  • Post quality makes you a veteran gamer!
« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2013, 09:37:59 AM »
Hahahaha, love the examination scene!  :-D  :::cheers::: Keep up the great work!

Shadowwolf
On the right only red, to your left all is white
Ev'ryone's holding, stay in the fight!
White to the right side, left only red
Run like the others, or you'll end up dead!
Talabheim State Troop proverb
Deviantart? http://dlshadowwolf.deviantart.com/gallery/

Offline ragentry

• Members
« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2013, 12:39:56 PM »
Cheers :-D was a fun little model to do.
I have moved on too a fire mage as hes the only mage I know 100% I want in.

The staff was taken from the greatsword kit just for something a little different
Having done him I have started on the 5 pistolers.

Offline Steve D

• Members
« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2013, 10:34:22 AM »
Looks great mate - really like the pistolier unit too.

Offline ragentry

• Members
« Reply #15 on: May 23, 2013, 08:33:28 PM »
Thanks for the comments :)
I have been doing a Fire Elemental from forgeworld for a mate so have put the empire a bit backwards. I have just managed to finish the pistoliers I had started weeks ago!

Offline Gankom

• Members
  • The World Builder
« Reply #16 on: May 24, 2013, 03:10:42 PM »
Pistoliers look good! I really like the crate their running over.

Offline ragentry

• Members
« Reply #17 on: May 24, 2013, 08:30:10 PM »
The reason no empire getting done! Nearly finished. I wont be basing it as my mate is going to match it to his army.

Offline ragentry

• Members
« Reply #18 on: May 28, 2013, 07:05:49 PM »
These are very much works in progress but looking for some feedback on the idea. As this is a Marienburg army I was torn on how to use knights. The theme of the army implies money but not the troops. My thinking was that they could have a unit of hired/retired/merc knights. Knights from the various orders that have either been banished or left for the money. As a result the knights are painted up using the traditional themes but with helmets removed. Each one is now displaying a hat in the Marienburg colours of the army to tie them in. Whats the thought? Do not want them to look too disjointed as a unit but do want something different. Any comments or ideas to improve are greatly appriciated

Offline Steve D

• Members
« Reply #19 on: May 28, 2013, 07:31:48 PM »
I like the idea of the non helmets - really ties it in to the whole army theme and makes them a little unique.

Maybe paint the horses more uniform and have the variety on the riders if you are worried about the disjointed look?

Offline Darknight

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
  • Dipped in Magic, Clothed in Science
« Reply #20 on: June 02, 2013, 12:30:03 PM »
I think that looks great, and not disjointed at all. It works very well indeed.
Completed Projects | History of Ophelia VII

Quote from: PhillyT
Everyone finds their balance between satisfaction and obsession.

Offline ragentry

• Members
« Reply #21 on: June 10, 2013, 01:23:52 PM »
Thanks for the comments  :icon_biggrin:
I have just got the extras on the bases to finish of the unit as a 10.
I have decided on doing my helblaster next. Wanted to add a dockside feel too the army as its Marienburg so used this resin quay as a base. The boat beside will have a monkey on the front and the two detachable crewmen. On has been modelled to be using a poker to operate the machine for fear of explosions!

Sorry about the bad pics but any comments welcome!

Offline ragentry

• Members
« Reply #22 on: June 10, 2013, 04:44:16 PM »
oh and a quick little death mage...gave him some grey in case he becomes a shadow mage :-D

Offline Zjivago

• Members
« Reply #23 on: June 10, 2013, 05:50:57 PM »
Looks good, like the swirly effect on the crystal ball.
Cthulhu for president, why Settle for the Lesser Evil?
Nordland Blog:
http://warhammer-empire.com/theforum/index.php?topic=43994.0

Offline Steve D

• Members
« Reply #24 on: June 11, 2013, 09:01:49 AM »
Loving the basing mate, can't wait to see the whole army!